1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing timing belt&water pump, what else while I'm in there?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by mtnhaul, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Sep 20, 2022 at 4:18 PM
    mtnhaul

mtnhaul [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Access Cab 4.7v8 4x4 TRD
    This will be the first Toyota I've worked on and the first timing belt change I've done. I know the water pump is generally replaced at the same time--anything else I should replace while I'm in there? A local mechanic said to I ought to also replace the cam and crank seals since the vehicle is a 2003 with 258k and I don't know if the PO ever did it. Are the cam and crank seals difficult or at all tricky to install correctly, any special tools needed?

I'll check out some write-ups and watch a few YouTube tutorials on this procedure but if you happen to know of a particularly good write-up or video I would appreciate it if you'd leave a link or a name to search for. I'm new to Toyota but not new to working on vehicles.

2. Sep 20, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    Baller

Baller New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tundra SR5 DC
    bmf4069 likes this.
  3. Sep 20, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    @mtnhaul that's about all the info you could dream of except DO NOT RISK ORDERING AUTO PARTS OFF scAMAZON. Even if it says it's from the manufacturer's "store" supposedly. @Baller, I'd recommend only posting the part numbers of items required in your list, honestly.

Their storefront is littered with counterfeits. There are hundreds of thousands of examples across auto enthusiast forums all over the internet. There are several documented examples at this forum where members got burned, especially with spark plugs, coils, but not limited to those. More info here, along with some cases.

Order the parts from Rock Auto, Summit Racing, for local pickup at Advance Auto parts or your favorite auto parts store. There are always online coupons for Advance Auto for 10-20% off which is very compelling, check RetailMeNot for coupons.

This is the first item linked in that scAmazon parts list - it shows OEM parts in the pic. Tell me something, looking at the title I outlined, and the fact it's no longer for sale, do you honestly think it was legit? What consequence to scAmazon will pay for your engine when you end up like the guy in that thread I linked whose pump failed after a couple of years? Nope. Do you think you'll ever find the seller again? Nope. You're screwed. Buy from someone who controls their inventory flow!

Just buy the Aisin Kit (Aisin TKT-021) from one of the sources I mentioned and get the missing extras.

upload_2022-9-20_20-45-56.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  4. Sep 21, 2022 at 5:50 AM
    mtnhaul

mtnhaul [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Access Cab 4.7v8 4x4 TRD
    I couldn't agree more about the scAmazon. In general Amazon is way overrated as I've always found the same item for the same or better price somewhere else. But people are slaves to convenience so Amazon keeps rolling.

Thanks Baller for the link.

5. Sep 21, 2022 at 8:33 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    CAM seals are not a simple job for just anyone. We have some Toyota mechanic members here who can attest to that.

I'm not saying it isn't worth it though, but I'd get a quote for everything and the breakdown of it.

6. Sep 22, 2022 at 1:26 PM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    I think the OP has a 2003. The cam seals became a nightmare in 2005 with the introduction of the VVT motor with cam phasers (sounds like a Star Trek episode). Pretty sure the 2003 cam seal is just remove the cam gear, pop old one out, tap new one in with a socket (members please confirm this). I do recommend removing the radiator when doing the job, especially if 1st time doing the belt. I found the extra room to be able to work and see all the components helpful. Not to mention if you have a 20 year old radiator it's a good idea to update it to avoid the pink milkshake of death.

Good luck.

7. Sep 22, 2022 at 3:22 PM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    I would also order an alternator brush, and replace that while you're in there. I "think" this is the correct part number for you.

8. Sep 22, 2022 at 7:21 PM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    110 miles north of Los Angeles, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2001 Tundra, original owner
    Bone stock
    If the cam seals aren't leaking, you're probably okay with just the water pump and timing belt, maybe do the serpentine belt as well, unless you like doing this kind of work. My Tundra is 21 years old and has only had belts and water pumps done. No leaks of any kind, still. Not bad Toyota.:fingerscrossed:

9. Sep 23, 2022 at 12:07 AM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab 340k+
    2” Lift, Bilstein 5100’s and 885’s, Rear 5100’s Icon 3 Leaf Pack and Firestone Air Bags with Daystar Cradles. Spider Trax 1.25” Wheel Spacers, Factory Wheels wrapped with Toyo 285/70r17 AT2’s.
    As mentioned do the full kit. Tensioner, idlers ect. Also, there are 3 little coolant hoses I did that are hiding in there. I got all three from Toyota for like $22.

I also did the drive belt, pulleys and tensioner. I just used a Gates kit from RockAuto for those, as they are easy to replace and cheap. I used all Aisin for the timing belt, water pump ect and that was from Rockauto as well.

My cam seals had a little oily residue around them, but being VVTI I didn’t think I needed to mess with them this go around. I did however replace the front main seal.

It’s a big project, but next time I think I could do the whole thing in under 5hrs.

926AA5AD-0D55-42C3-B694-B0C75FAFCA92.jpg

5F51C8D0-4849-4AD3-8063-06D2CCB91BCF.jpg

mtnhaul[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top