1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing belt master thread/sticky?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Baller, May 12, 2022.

1. May 12, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    Baller

Baller [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tundra SR5 DC
    I'm needing to do my timing belt this summer. I've tried to search for a thread with what parts kit I'll need and haven't come up with anything. Maybe it's out there and I'm not using the search function correctly. either way, I know Amazon has a kit but, I've also heard some people claim their parts aren't genuine AISIN. I was going to order from Rock Auto What's the most complete kit and do I need anything more than what the kit comes with ? Also, in the interest of being complete, what else should I look into replacing while it's all apart? Thermostat and seal? Besides the pulley/harmonic dampener tool, are there any other specific tools I'll want to pick up to make the job easier?

Here's what I've put together so far.

PMH's timing belt thread within his build thread
    https://www.tundras.com/posts/1917085

Parts:
    Amazon kit
    Amazon kit, not complete
    RockAuto kit
    Belt tensioner, 1st Gen not mentioned in descrition but Amazon says is fits an '05 Tundra 4.7L
    Fan pulley bracket
    Thermostat
    Thermostat seal

Tools:
    Pulley/Harmonic dampener tool

How to:
    1A Auto Part 1

1A Auto Part 2

1A Auto Part 3

Another helpful video

Toyota Tech doing a timing belt.

What am I missing or what have I gotten wrong and need corrected on? If there are any better, more concise videos/tutorials out there, post the link. Better information is always appreciated. Also, if there is a comprehensive timing belt thread, post that and we can all forget this thread.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  2. May 12, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Cheap holiday in other people's misery

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited 4WD + LSD & TOW PKG
    It's worth mentioning, at the time of this posting, the top kit is counterfeit parts. And to that point, scAmazon is not a place you want to buy auto parts, period, because so many guys here have ended up with counterfeits. Reader beware: The counterfeit thing has been going on a couple years now, and guys in every forum have gotten burned, buying parts that look retail/authentic, but end up being knockoffs which can cause considerable damage.

Although I think he's more into MG's these days, PHM's post here has been the reference many use as a solid V8 WP/TB resource: https://www.tundras.com/threads/tim...06-toyota-tundra-dc-vvti-v8-4-7l-2uvfe.76243/

For V6, I'm not if anyone ever posted much, but I do see this thread: https://www.tundras.com/threads/water-pump-help-maybe-timing-belt.91399/#post-2302435

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    des2mtn likes this.
  3. May 12, 2022 at 12:34 PM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Ridgeline with a 4-speed

Member:
    SoCal 760
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Burnt out brake light
    I just performed this maintenance before doing a 2000+ mile road trip. I bought most of my parts through RockAuto. TKT-021 is definitely more on Amazon than what I paid RA. I went with the Gates HD green serpentine belt in PHM's thread.

Radiator and fan clutch are good to replace too since you have everything apart, if they haven't been serviced before. RockAuto also carries new upper and lower radiator hoses, depending on the condition of yours they are probably good to reuse. Remove your throttle body and give it a good cleaning, also wipe inside your upper intake inside the engine.

The only special tools I needed were to hold the crank and the harmonic balancer puller. I'm not even sure I needed the harmonic balancer puller with how easy it came off.

TheDanimal, bmf4069, snoope and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top