1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: 2018+ TSS Radar/Precollision Problems

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by silverhack, Aug 22, 2018.

?

Do you have recurring TSS Radar/Pre-collision warning problems?

1. NO: stock suspension (or new shocks set at stock height)

45.3%
  2. NO: leveled/no rake (+2 front only or 3/1)

12.3%
  3. NO: lifted with no rake (over 3" front lift and no rake or <1" difference front/back)

4.3%
  4. NO: lifted with rake (1" or more difference front/back)

8.2%
  5. YES: stock suspension (or new shocks set at stock height)

20.9%
  6. YES: leveled/no rake (+2 front only or 3/1)

3.9%
  7. YES: lifted with no rake (over 3" front lift AND no rake or <1" difference front/back)

2.3%
  8. YES: lifted with rake (1" or more difference front/back)

2.7%
  1. Nov 26, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    Superbrad

Superbrad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR 5.7 4x4 long-bed White
    I got the orange BRAKE! Warning with loud beeping last night @ 80mph on the interstate, thought an animal had entered the roadway or something, there was nothing there, false alarm. Sure did get my heart pumping. Truck is a bone stock ‘18 SR 4X4 5.7 DC long bed with 6k miles.

2. Nov 26, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Happed again to me today. I think it was a true one though as I was coming quick up on someone that was turning left but my plan was to duck a bit right to get around them without stopping on the single lane street. It was wide enough to do so going into the shoulder. The truck did not brake on its own at all.

3. Dec 11, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    derekmills02

derekmills02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    I started having these problems with TSS pretty soon after purchasing. Its very random usually happens in foggy weather, rain , or places where trees are close to the road and hanging over the road some. My best friend of 20 years services my truck and they looked into it tested everything and calibration was good. Toyota is having trouble with this system especially on curvy roads. which make sense due to the problems I am having. They are having the same problem with the auto head lights. I use the auto dimming headlights but they are not perfect by far. Both systems are using a camera in the rear view mirror. If the weather is bad enough the pre collision turns itself off. I am waiting on any news this system is rather new. I am also waiting to do a lift kit and new bumpers until they have more experiences with it. The recall will mess with your gas mileage indicator for a little while after about 30 minutes of driving it will clear up. I will keep yall informed with any new info i get. My truck is a stock 2018 SR5 with the XP package.

Superbrad likes this.
  4. Dec 11, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    So last time it happened to me it was after a snow storm and i had some residual mag-chloride, etc on the truck for about a week. Since washing it i have not had any issues at all with the system. I have got the pre collision warning several times because i came in hot and brake late. The truck does not brake for you.
    I am lifted 3/1 with 35" tires.

Stroke250 likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    Superbrad

Superbrad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR 5.7 4x4 long-bed White
    My ‘18 SR intervened with brakes once, I was on a curvy two lane road, the car ahead was turning left onto a country road at the apex of a right curve. I didn’t slow down because I knew he would be out my way by the time I reached his position. The truck freaked out and applied the brakes, hard.

The manual states that the system may not pick up all objects and that it may only lessen the severity of an accident but it absolutely will brake for you if it thinks an accident is imminent. The sensitivity can also be adjusted by the driver.

dasunsrule32 and derekmills02 like this.
  6. Dec 11, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    Stroke250

Stroke250 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford F-350
    I had 12,000 miles with no TSS issues on my tundra that I just traded in. 3/1 Eibach lift was installed with less than 1000 miles on it. So 11,000 “lifted” miles with no issues.

7. Dec 11, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Here you go, from the 19 owners manual. I encourage everyone read the owners manual, a lot will find their issues are simply the limitations of the system. No different than other vehicles that use similar systems.
    F103A2EE-E46A-4DD0-9FBF-90D59A104969.jpg

757TUNDRA and csuviper[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Dec 11, 2018 at 4:45 PM
    hudrock

hudrock New Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra before 20 Sequioa now
    Read it and would have an easier time accepting their shortcomings if I could just disable it for good and it wouldn't put an amber alert on the dash when you turned it off. Also I believe you have to turn it off every time you start the car as it defaults to on.

Celt and Fatboy769 like this.
  9. Dec 11, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Well it’s meant to save lives, and the insurance premiums reflect that. Won’t be long before every vehicle has a similar system, the pros outweigh the cons, 30%+ reduction in forward collisions. It defaults on due to liability, it is a conscious decision to turn it off, think about that. The average human reaction time is .25 seconds, a professional athlete is .12 seconds, the safety systems react at approximately .005 seconds... Not arguing, don’t care what others think or do.

757TUNDRA likes this.
  10. Dec 11, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    hudrock

hudrock New Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    I can accept that then why not make it a passive system or have the option to? All these random false alarms going off do is make the operator ignore the system.

11. Dec 11, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    At least in my use over the last year, very very few alarms have been false and even most of the "false" ones I observed an atypical condition that likely caused it

jtwags likes this.
  12. Dec 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    DWalker

DWalker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dickson
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 4wd
    None
    So I have a 2019 Tundra with TSS. Mine started last week with 2,700 miles. PCS sensor light and the Brake light flashes. The 2019's it appears the issue is still there. No lift or tint.

13. Dec 17, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    parallax

parallax Professional Zamboni stunt driver

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Crewmax SR5 5.7 TRD 4x4
    Dash camera
    pre collision warning light comes on randomly then goes out, didnt start till after 1500 miles. doesnt seem to corellate to any conditions of weather or environment.

14. Dec 18, 2018 at 9:16 PM
    tundracrazy

tundracrazy New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Plug and play for me with no issues.

15. Dec 22, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    10seTwig

10seTwig New Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    I came across this forum looking for solutions/reasons to my radar "problems" on my 2018 Tundra SR5 4x4 CrewMax with a cap over the bed. I have owned the truck for 13 months. It has less than 5000 miles on it. Love the power and the ride. About 2 months after my second scheduled maintenance I started noticing little things like the front sensors going off as I passed bushes while backing out of our driveway. Then the drivers side BSM started missing vehicles or going off for no reason. Once the pre-collision braking kicked in at 50 MPH as I was coming up on a truck waiting to make a left in the center lane - caught me totally off guard. Turned off that function first chance I got. We live in the mountains surrounded by forest, gravel roads, steep driveway, etc.
    One day I let the truck gently roll back from the bottom 25 feet of our driveway (something I had done many times with my previous truck and a couple of times with this one when I forgot to get the mail). This time? RIGHT INTO A TREE!!!! Using 3 mirrors, a backup camera and the sensors missed a 10" tree!!!!! I expected to see some scratches and a dent. I couldn't believe the damage done but after the body shop got done I really started to question my choice of vehicle. Did I buy a Lego built truck? Whatever happened to solid bumpers? What kind of protection can I expect in a collision? Was I asleep for the last 14 years since my last truck?
    I paid out-of-pocket for the body work (mistake) before actually seeing the dealership (mistake) which has no body shop. Didn't know that until I called the dealership which is when I told them about my radar issue. Oh yeah, no record of the call. Now they're saying I need another almost 2 grand in sensor and bracket parts. Gotta check and see how they arrived at this diagnosis.
    Maybe I'm getting old school dinosaur but all this beeping, light-flashing, spaceship stuff is taking the joy out of actually DRIVING.

16. Dec 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    hudrock

hudrock New Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Update - I took my trunk into the dealer three times to correct and on third time I also called Toyota corp and opened a case. They sent a tech out to the dealership from Toyota and he diagnosed the system being out of calibration and he recalibrated. So far probably about 500 miles on the recalibration and everything is great, no problems so crossing my fingers. I will say Toyota was responsive however this process to get it fixed is time consuming.

bhuff92 and HighDesertTundra like this.
  17. Dec 27, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    TundraAllTheWay

TundraAllTheWay New Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Grey Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax TRD Off-Road
    I just got a check engine light, drive select and go malfunction, pre collision, and tow haul malfunction or whatever light. I thought it was my aftermarket tail lights that caused am issue, cause I blew a fuse, and my camera and gear selector highlight don't work. Just gotta replace fuse but I'm worried. Have you guys been having that problem? My appt is next Thursday with Toyota. Apparently they told me my compass is haywire, and they gotta keep it for a day.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  18. Dec 27, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    TundraAllTheWay

TundraAllTheWay New Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Grey Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax TRD Off-Road
    I changed my backup lamps to LED, and I blew a fuse.

19. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    WX4SNO

WX4SNO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Snowville, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 CM Limited 4x4, 5.7L Cement Grey
    Yes, stock suspension here, and it has only happened once right at 1,000 miles; but I only have 1,200 miles on my 2019 Tundra now. This happened at night while it was raining steadily. A car in front of me was going very slow and as we approached a divided highway and the moved into the left lane, I accelerated and got close to their bumper and passed them on the right-side. Not sure if it was because I got too close to them during passing, or if it was a combination of this and the rain/fog that night. Once I turned the Tundra off and then restarted it a few hours later, the "PCS off" light was gone and I could go into the system and turn it off/on manually and adjust the sensitivity. While it was off, I could not change these settings on my way home.

20. Jan 4, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    hudrock

hudrock New Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    So far I have 1000+ miles on my truck since the Toyota Corp Tech came out and recalibrated the system. Actually my PCS system has worked twice as advertised so hopefully it's corrected (fingers crossed). My advice is be relentless taking it back to the dealer (this is a total quality control issue with Toyota - make them document it) no matter how much they tell you nothing is wrong or they cant replicate it. Then call Toyota to open a case and get a regional tech to come out and look at it.

bhuff92 likes this.
  21. Jan 10, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    asmisenh

asmisenh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra Limited
    I voted. My PCS has been unavailable for a week now. Every time I drive the truck the PCS Light will come on after 3~5min of driving. I have an appt scheduled for next week so we will see how it goes with the dealership.

22. Jan 15, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    Rod67

Rod67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    It happened twice to me today on a 6 hour trip. Clear dry 30 degree weather, both times as I went through a traffic light. Could there be something in the light setting it off maybe???
    Just momentary alarm, cruise works fine.
    2019, bone stock, 1500 miles

Dealer "reflashed" it. So far no more false alarms - we'll see...

UPDATE: 6 weeks and 2500 miles later no reoccurrence!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  23. Jan 20, 2019 at 12:32 AM
    HighDesertTundra

HighDesertTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewmax Sport
    My radar cruise control quit today twice on my brand new 2018 Tundra TRD Sport with only 540 miles on it. I was driving in dense fog on a wet freeway. It told me the sensor needed cleaning. The sensor is behind the Toyota emblem in the center of the grille. So I wiped it dry, shut the truck off, restarted it and went on my way like normal. Everything worked fine for the next 15 miles and then *bam* happened again. So I pulled over and repeated what I did the first time. Got out out of the fog a little bit later and when I got to my destination I bought some RainX. Applied it to the emblem (The RainX chemicals haven't attacked the plastic as of yet and it's been 12 hours) and drove home. In the last 15 miles of the trip home I was back in dense fog again and the problem never came back.

Both times the problem happened, I had water droplets all over the emblem (which covers the radar antenna). Radar frequencies are sensitive to moisture and the higher you go in frequency, the larger the effect. The RainX doesn't allow the water to adhere to the surface it's applied on so that's why I reached for it first. So far it's worked! 15 miles might not be much of a test but it's all I've got for now. Hope this helps!

Thinking that if this also affects the sensors behind the rear view mirror then RainX might also be indicated for application on the windshield as well. Buy some of the concentrated stuff and apply it on the emblem and windshield and then get some windshield washer fluid with the stuff so you constantly apply it to your windshield with every squirt. If this is indeed the solution then this would be the way to maintain it. I'll let you guys know if it ever fails during better testing conditions going forward. Thinking a good steady rain, road spray, fog, etc. would provide the hard answers to this possible solution.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  24. Jan 26, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    Greenoak

Greenoak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Crew Cab Max w/Tow Package
    Running Boards and Tonneau Cover
    2018 SR5 Crew Cab Max

We had 3 PCS Malfunctioning errors over 3 weeks. I’d shut the truck off, let it sit overnight, and the error would go away.

However after the last time, we did take it to the dealer. They immediately kept it and gave us a rental while they ordered and replaced the radar sensor.

218E35FA-0C14-4CB9-A75E-69E2FA6E3D3F.jpg

25. Feb 1, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    socal147

socal147 None Specified

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Oak Hills Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Tonka
    Stock is so temporary
    Mine is throwing an error at 417 miles

2/3/2018 update
    Cleared today. Post 1.86” of rain on my weather station. Weather clear and drying up ...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  26. Feb 3, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    RaptorJet31

RaptorJet31 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hoss
    Folsom ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement trd crewmax
    TRD everything
    Every morning I start my truck there is the precollision warning but just lately I’ve been getting the “brake” message with nothing in front of me.

27. Feb 3, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    marlin39a

marlin39a I’m a dumbass.

Member:
    All stock, and works as should be. I love the system.

bhuff92 likes this.
  28. Feb 17, 2019 at 12:31 PM
    Blue11

Blue11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Currently waiting on the regional Toyota Corp Technician. The original PCSS was replaced in mid December due to frequent radar unavailable warnings. Returned to the dealer last week due to two unintended braking. Both occurred within a week and on clear days. NO modifications to the truck.
    Dealer immediately opened a case with Toyota and provided a rental. Love the truck, happy with the dealer's transparency, but missing my 2002 Tundra (300K+). Will post once I hear from the TOY Tech.

29. Feb 18, 2019 at 5:47 AM
    Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sunriver, Oregun
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2018 SR5 4X4 DC
    I just traveled from Sunriver to Salem and mine quit also. It was Blizzard conditions most of the way and I was in 4 wd . Snow had built up about 1" on the front of the truck. When I hit Salem it was raining and melted the snow and all was normal. Same on the way home, the engineer who designed this system anticipated rain and all elements but snow. Non issue to me.

30. Feb 18, 2019 at 8:19 PM
    jddepp

jddepp New Member

Member:
    So I will tell you my experience. Two sensor replacements as well as several trips to my dealer. Someone from Toyota Corp came down. He advised my toll tag was too close to the camera. The white off the tag when the sun hits it causes the sensor to mis-read. That is the story at least. They moved my toll tag to the left of the black box instead of directly below the black box that the mirror is attached to. So give me a week or so and I will tell you if this light trips more than 2 or 3 times in three days in a row. As that is what it has done. Oh they state that it coming on every once in a while is normal. It sometimes has to auto calibrate. I still think it is nonsense as my wife has a highlander, same year model. Her's never comes on. So if it is the same tech, you would expect the same behavior. But what do I know.

Products Discussed in

To Top