1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuner 3UR Support - Development Tools

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by OVTune, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    It's okay to flash the .p5f file that you have now. The TCU file will be sent to you when the one for your specific ECU has been completed.

mzim[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC Silver Sky
    285/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers Full ARH long tube system Bilstein 6112 Front +2.7" Bilstein 5160 Rear & Icon 1.5 AAL & +2.0 Shackles Fender Flares 1D6 White Knuckle sliders TRD Grille Morimoto LED Headlights with LED DRL/sequential amber switchback turns Rigid Fogs with Square TRD Bezel 4x LED bed lamps wired in OV Tune base load with iterations coming Tech12Volt remote with 2 way fobs and range extender antenna 4.88s with Auburn TRD skid plate Koyo radiator - FAILED REINSTALLED OEM Tyger tri-fold bed cover Bed mat from Boss 4x4 Front bumper spacers 0.5 inch by Boss 4x4 Pop n Lock tailgate wired in Black badging all around Cover King Urban Cammo seat covers front/back Rough Country Floormats Halo 9 HU Underseat kicker sub JRT upgraded speakers
    Would be easier and less questionable if this procedure were documented somewhere. At least i can get questions answered here. Thank you Wynnded and Trucky Truck

TruckyTruck likes this.
  3. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    We're on the bleeding edge here, it's crazy!:thumbsup:

4. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Yep, you need to flash that first tune, use the logger to capture how your truck runs with it and send the results back to Mat. Afterwards, he will make adjustments to your specific truck and send you another updated file.

mzim[QUOTED] and Wynnded like this.
  5. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle
    TCU file is for the Tacomas.
    If you get a TCU file from us it will be specified as a TCU file. Otherwise skip that part of the instructions.

theraven, TruckyTruck and mzim like this.
  6. Dec 8, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    285/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers Full ARH long tube system Bilstein 6112 Front +2.7" Bilstein 5160 Rear & Icon 1.5 AAL & +2.0 Shackles Fender Flares 1D6 White Knuckle sliders TRD Grille Morimoto LED Headlights with LED DRL/sequential amber switchback turns Rigid Fogs with Square TRD Bezel 4x LED bed lamps wired in OV Tune base load with iterations coming Tech12Volt remote with 2 way fobs and range extender antenna 4.88s with Auburn TRD skid plate Koyo radiator - FAILED REINSTALLED OEM Tyger tri-fold bed cover Bed mat from Boss 4x4 Front bumper spacers 0.5 inch by Boss 4x4 Pop n Lock tailgate wired in Black badging all around Cover King Urban Cammo seat covers front/back Rough Country Floormats Halo 9 HU Underseat kicker sub JRT upgraded speakers
    Ok... thank you Mat. I THINK IM READY!

TruckyTruck likes this.
  7. Dec 8, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Hey Mat, what's your timeline for the tundra tune? Are you planning on getting everything finished before the end of the year? Specifically, early shifting in first gear and transmission features for all ECU's.

Towing with the new transmission update was excellent, by the way.

8. Dec 8, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2016 FFV CM
    OVTune RD Vehicle

I can't promise every ECU ID will be done in time, as some are harder than others.
    But I'm working on getting as many as I can done

9. Dec 8, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    No, that's good! Not looking for promises, just curious about your estimated timeline. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Wynnded likes this.
  10. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    one more easy question. When i turn the key to on, not start, im getting 12.2 or so volts reading. i have radio off, etc. Will this reading be ok for the duration of the flash?

11. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    You better put a charger on the battery... You don't want to brick the ECU. Either that or start the motor for a few minutes and get the voltage up higher.

14burrito and mzim[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    i have a charger to use during the procedure.
    Ive started the truck and the voltage jumps to 13.8 or 9. Normal. As soon as I shut it off it drops to 12.3 or so. With charger on, I can get it up to 12.8 and steady with the key turned to on

13. Dec 9, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    Boosted 2013 Sequoia TRD FAUX
    Maggy, Dobinsons, TRD PRO conversion, 18+ lights & cluster too much more to list
    Is this a harder ecu to work on? (crosses fingers, toes & eyes hoping not)

14. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    So would 12.8 V be sufficient for the duration of the flash. What would the lower threshold be? just curious

15. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    It shouldn't drop below 12v. I think a pop-up tells you the minimum. But if you have a charger hooked up, you will be good. 12.8 will work.

16. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Thank you sir. You've been a great help here

MrMax and TruckyTruck like this.
  17. Dec 9, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Why risk bricking an ECU for the few minutes it takes to put on a charger.

What if something goes wrong?
    What if you get pulled aside mid flash process?

These trucks seems to have a nice draw with key on.

IMHO, take the few minutes to hook up a charger regardless of battery voltage.

18. Dec 9, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    mzim

mzim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Vehicle:

I plan to. Was looking for minimum voltage throughout the flash. Was trying to get a feel for a voltage range with the key on only.

19. Dec 9, 2019 at 9:55 PM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    I was biting nails during my Bully Dog install, aftercooler pump and Phoenix Tesla head unit running with charger attached my volts were dropping. Had to unplug cooler and turn HU screen off to keep a steady 12.8

mzim likes this.
  20. Dec 10, 2019 at 12:34 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I was biting nails during my first Bully Dog flash, aftercooler pump and Phoenix Tesla head unit running with charger was draing volts with key on. Had to unplug cooler pump and turn HU screen off to get a steady 12.8

Anyone flashing with a Supercharger should have at least a 10 amp charger and or unplug the cooler pump.

MrMax and TruckyTruck[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:21 AM
    MrMax

MrMax Introvertigo Eximious Geargasm

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax S/C TRD Rock Warrior
    Driving the truck for awhile before flashing helps the battery be in a more charged state. Having a charger on while flashing is probably the best insurance against a low voltage drop as well. For the SC guys its not only important to turn off all accessories like radio, climate control, etc...But also pull the fuse for your heat exchanger circ pump...big draw there when the key is on.

TruckyTruck likes this.
  22. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:13 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Mine isn't SC, but I don't have any problem running the motor a couple of minutes, then turning off the radio and ac before flashing. I don't use a charger. But I do make sure the battery voltage is where it needs to be. If I was in extreme cold or hadn't run my truck in a while, I would use my charger. It's probably a better idea to use a battery charger, but I haven't had a problem. The OV tune flashes quickly and my voltage doesn't drop below 12.3v, by the end of a flash.

Edit: when I owned a BD tuner, I did use a battery charger. It took longer to flash.

mzim and MrMax like this.
  23. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    MrMax

MrMax Introvertigo Eximious Geargasm

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax S/C TRD Rock Warrior
    I remember my BD flash too...Charger on, everything that could be turned off...off, Holding my breath, crossing my fingers and praying to the tuner gods not to "brick" my ECU while watching that voltage. And like TruckyTruck said..longer...much longer...seemed to take forever at the time.

Edit...Sorry Trucky, misspelled your name :( Fixed it!

I dont know what it was...but I never felt right about that BD tune...Then, or the next couple of years running it...funky shifting and never trusting the fuel ratio's in the upper RPM range, etc....That canned tune from Mag/BD had a not so good reputation...some had good luck with it and others seemed to have issues. It was a glorious day back in May of this year when I uninstalled it and flashed my base OVTune. And after many logging sessions and revision's the tune and the truck continue to improve and build my confidence.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    ZPMAN[QUOTED] and TruckyTruck like this.
  24. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:11 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I'm hoping for a Cinderella story also!

25. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    Unwildered

Unwildered New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray CrewMax
    Stubby Antenna :)
  26. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
  27. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    mikmikcm15

mikmikcm15 New Member

Member:
    will this tune void warranty? not sure if it was mention before... and can it be tune back to stock if it does void warranty?

28. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    A stock tune can be reflashed if there's a concern/worry.

TruckyTruck likes this.
  29. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    Unwildered

Unwildered New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray CrewMax
    Stubby Antenna :)
    Thank you!

30. Dec 11, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Unwildered[QUOTED] and Wynnded like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top