1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

On the 5.7 , is it recommended to flush the transmission? Any issues after that?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Unique Black Beast, May 19, 2019.

1. May 27, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    Ace402

Ace402 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra 4x4 SR5
    ADS 2.5 RR front and rear. MCM UCA & Shackles
    I did a complete fluid exchange on my old 2000 Tacoma, and my current 2006 4Runner, and 2011 Tundra. I used full synthetic Valvoline Maxlife on the Tacoma and Tundra, and Amsoil on the 4Runner. No issues with any of them. All fluid exchanges were done with well over 100K on the transmissions. The Tacoma had over 200K but I had done full exchange previously as well. In my opinion, if a properly done fluid exchange is performed and your transmission fails shortly afterwards, the transmission probably had issues to begin with. If your transmission is in good repair, I don't think its going to hurt your transmission one bit. Again, just my opinion based off of the three Toyota vehicles I have personally exchanged the transmission fluid on.

Trooper2 likes this.
  2. May 27, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    4 quarts of WS is 40 bucks on Amazon

Basically the same price as amsoil atf

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Trooper2 likes this.
  3. May 27, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Pobably get different advice from other big dealerships and their service folks.
    The service writer's job is to upsell their services. The flush should cost more.

Did you do the fludh?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    JohnLakeman likes this.
  4. May 27, 2019 at 4:52 PM
    SgtNewundies

SgtNewundies New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric

Again, Maxlife is an excellent alternative to Toyota WS. You can view the MSDS on both products and the Exxonmobil link that was provided regarding Toyota WS. Both products contain 70-90% mineral oil, (Distillates (Petroleum), Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic). They also contain minimal amount of additives. I pay $18 for a gallon of Maxlife with excellent results the past 10 or so years. My 2003 Tacoma has had 2 drain and refills and is due for number 3.

If you tow or are in extreme conditions or severe category I would drain and refill at 60000 miles. My 2008 Tundra tows a fair amount and the fluid was dark at 90000 miles. Replenishing the add pack and not shocking the transmission is sound practice.

5. May 27, 2019 at 7:20 PM
    vhstejskal

vhstejskal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vic
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver SR5 Crewmax
    Just did my drain and flush today with Valvoline Maxlife and at 17 dollars for the 1 gallon container (Walmart). I did the same on my dads Tundra 5+ years ago and his is still running fine; today is was my trucks turn. Like some others on here I’ve had good luck with Valvoline as an alternative to OEM fluids. :thumbsup:

Ace402 and Trooper2 like this.
  6. May 28, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    The TundraTalk forum has some. There are other forums I've read but can't remember. I could probably google and find them.

7. May 28, 2019 at 6:01 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I always look for what is the best alternative. It doesn't matter to me what everyone is doing. I use my common sense and logic to determine the best choice.

That is why I believe that Aisin WS fluid is the BEST alternative. AISIN builds these transmissions and works with Toyota to do so.

There are many reasons, WHY I wouldn't trust Maxlife.

1. They do not work with Toyota
    2. Transmission fluid is unique. It not only helps provide lubrication. It also MUST work properly with the FRICTION components used by the manufacture to drive power to wheels. Its not like choosing motor oil
    3. Maxlife makes the unrealistic claim that their product is compatible with many DIFFERENT requirements from multiple manufactures. Even I know this can't possibly be true.

I will respond directly about Exxon.

Again. I'm coming from the perspective of what is the BEST alternative. Not what I have done in the past.

8. May 28, 2019 at 6:08 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    A MSDS sheet only deals with components that are potential hazardous. Also. MSDS gives NO ONE a means to reproduce a complex compound or even claim they can reproduce a complex compound.

In other words, knowing what is on a MSDS sheets doesn't give someone the ability to reproduce a product. There are complex processes involved and the MSDS sheet doesn't even have all the components nor the means to reproduce the formula.

Like I said before. The BEST alternative is the Aisin WS fluid.

stomachbuzz likes this.
  9. May 28, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    Echo304

Echo304 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crew Cab/6.5' Bed
    The MSDS also lists the physical characteristics of the product (to an extent). Section 9. If the product you get to replace the WS meets or exceeds the physical specs of WS, then there is no reason that you shouldnt be able to use said product. I'm not saying Maxlife (or any of the verified alternatives) is a better product. I'm just saying it is a usable product. I get you're gung-ho about sticking with Toyota fluid. But dont try to shut down the alternatives, because Toyota doesnt even make their own fluids. You stand behind what you stand behind, and I will stand behind mine. I'm just trying to give people alternatives.

Also, for the general forum consumption: in my searching I found a thread on Bob Is The Oil Guy which states that
    which is substantiated by a quote further in the post which states
    SO, there are Aisin WS certified, multi-vehicle products out there. Dont let the purists scream and shout the Toyota (or even Aisin) is your only option for fluids!

Trooper2 likes this.
  10. May 28, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    I’ve gone back and forth between whether to spend the extra money on the WS fluid the last few days. I think I convinced myself that maxlife seems to be pretty dang close. And if maxlife is worse than WS, it has to be a hell of a lot better than the 10 year old WS that it will be replacing

Trooper2 and Ace402 like this.
  11. May 28, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I like how you said "to an extent".... it would be more accurate to say "to an unknown extent". You simply do not know and you refuse to admit.

I'm not "gung-ho" to stay with Toyota product. I SAID... AISIN FLUID IS THE BEST CHOICE.

The alternatives are certainly alternatives. Do whatever you like. However, I refuse to make a choice based on another person's choice. I can do the research myself and make an informed decision.

I stand behind what I said for the reasons I said them.

There is NO REASON in my mind, other than preference, to go with any ALTERNATIVE to Toyota WS other than AISIN WS.

You can buy Aisin WS fluid for less than $6 a quart at Rock Auto. Given that price, I see NO compelling reason to choose otherwise except for preference. Again. Have fun with your choice. As I have previously mentioned it is impossible for someone to make a single transmission fluid that will work with everything on the planet.

Just sharing my experience and reasoning.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  12. May 28, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Echo304

Echo304 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crew Cab/6.5' Bed
    Yknow, I had this whole thing written up... but you're just not worth the effort man. Back off the caps-lock and the personal jabs: it makes people 100x less receptive to the info you have to share. I simply was sharing information I had found, so the OP could better make their own decision.

OP: here is the link to the "verified alternatives" to WS (on tacoma-world forums), and Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle ATF (although not listed on that thread) is another option. I'd say drain and fill is your best route, best of luck in choosing a fluid!

13. May 28, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I disagree. I'm worth the effort.....

My use of caps was for emphasis. I wasn't yelling...and yes. I reject the "idea" that you can't do such on the internet. I pre-date the internet. Social norms mean little to me.

Sincerly. No offense intended. Thanks.

14. May 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
  15. May 28, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Check out rockauto.com

Sundance pointed it out I think. They are less and if you order enough to dilute the shipping cost it is a good savings. I’m gonna order 12

16. May 28, 2019 at 4:49 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    Yep. 12 is what you need. Rockauto has best price. Amazon is good if you want to use the Toyota WS.

17. May 28, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
  18. May 28, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
  19. May 28, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    *D*

*D* New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 DC Long Bed 4x4 SR5
    I have a close friend that was a service tech at Toyota. When I was around 100K, I asked him about changing the transmission fluid and the timing belt (chain in my case). He told me that both of those things are “lifetime” elements. He specifically told me there is a TSB about that for the transmission fluid. Never bothered to look that up because I had no reason to doubt him.

20. May 28, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    Life time means till it dies/breaks. That doesn't mean that you can't get more life out of your transmission by changing it.

In 07, they were doing their best to sell that you didn't need to change it. Most all owners manuals list the early change interval at 60,000 based on usage.

Hbjeff and *D*[QUOTED] like this.
  21. May 29, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    *D*

*D* New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    ‘24 DC Long Bed 4x4 SR5
    Yeah, after years of working on Fords, I got spoiled by Toyota. I was done with working on my own truck- so much so that I wanted to believe everything the dealership told me. You’re right though. Now that my Tundra is 12 years old, I need to weigh doing my own repairs against looking into getting a new one. Looks like I’ll be on here regularly. I’m not one to just let that truck go!

sundance[QUOTED] and Trooper2 like this.
  22. May 29, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    I think its crazy some people are being told this trans fluid is lifetime, all fluids break down that's a proven fact. Plus a big killer is heat and lets be honest these trucks run hot as far as trans temps are concerned. Pulling my camper this past weekend 90* temp outside I was regularly seeing 205-215* on the trans fluid. I'm at 47k with mine and I tow a lot like 5days a week so I'm going to go ahead and do a fluid exchange on mine for good measure.

23. May 29, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    This is the technique I use. Drain the pan contents, which in my case is 3.5 quarts, and refill with the exact measured amount. I do this at the same time as every oil change (2,500 miles). Keeps things fresh.

upload_2019-5-29_21-4-1.jpg

upload_2019-5-29_21-4-35.jpg

24. May 29, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Heavy Service increases the need to change fluids sooner.

Heavy Service is defined as:

1) Towing/hauling regularly.
    2) City Driving most miles.
    3) Extended high outside temperatures over 90° driving.

25. May 29, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Nothing mechanical is lifetime. That’s just silly.

26. May 29, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    100% agree. I prefer Toyota fluids regardless - they are to spec for how the vehicle was built and I'm not smart enough to understand if I would be creating a problem by changing fluids. I also assume that we're talking about some extremely low risks assumed if folks wanted to change the fluid type when they drain and replace.

27. May 29, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Its unbelievable how all of the sudden mechanical engines went from needing oil changes every 3-5k miles to 10k miles regardless of driving. The internal combustion engine is the same as it always has been. ‘Synthetic’ Oil is not a silver bullet even though I do use it.

Same goes for transmissions. They need fresh fluid. More so the older they become. The proper fresh fluid never hurts anything. I bet many here would feel their transmissions shifting smoother after just a basic drain and refill (not flush).

28. May 29, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    My '15 was scheduled for a flush and replace at 60k. Those Gen2s must have a more resilient tranny!

MajorC[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jun 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    I did a couple drain and fills around the 45 and 50K oil changes and another last year at about 85K on my 09 Crewmax. Probably won't bother with it again until 100K then decide if I want to do another drain and fill or get a flush done. Many dealers are scared to touch the transmission fluid, even more so for vehicles within warranty. They're worried they'll either upset something, the tech will screw it up, or else a failure will happen not too long after they do the work by pure coincidence and the customer will blame them. So they'll teach their techs and sales people to tell everybody it never has to be changed, or that nothing needs to be done until 100K. Then when you show up for a flush at 100K they'll decline to flush because nobody touched it before then. The extended intervals are really a marketing gimmic by the manufacturer to attract people with cheap maintenance costs, but it causes dealerships to try to game the system and put people off on tranny maintenance as long as possible so they don't have to risk touching it and seeing it fail soon after.

at 87K and over 10 years old my truck still shifts like it did when I pulled off the lot in March of 2009 so I'm inclined to just keep doing drain and fills rather than mess with what seems like a winning formula.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  30. Jun 3, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    We have a mechanic member in the 1st Gen Section that works at the stealership. He says drain and fill on a regular basis is the best way to go.

Products Discussed in

To Top