1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME DAKAR Leaf Springs HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by The Juice, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Apr 17, 2019 at 9:28 AM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    Lol you should be fine w that bed weight

2. Apr 17, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    Mr. Cade

Mr. Cade New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Platinum
    OK, sooooooo, you're suggesting I buy more gear ?

papasmurf[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Apr 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    Well of course !! Lol

4. Apr 17, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    Couple years on mine. No wheeling but I tow several different trailers fairly regularly. No sag. No regrets. I'd buy again.

I have thier additional leaf also. Needed a bit more height to level out with the front.

Mwray8909 and Black Wolf like this.
  5. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    How much more additional height did you gain with the extra leaf? 1/2", 1"??

6. Apr 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    .75 to an inch if I remember right. Glad I added the extra leaf. Looks better in my situation and cant hurt with performance right?

Mwray8909 and Black Wolf like this.
  7. Aug 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    Mwray8909

Mwray8909 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Chino Valley
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD offroad cement CM
    I think I'm going to see about adding a leaf to mine as well.

8. Jan 6, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    jabula_za

jabula_za New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Sabre Springs, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR DC 4x4
    Icon 2.5s with RR & CDCV, 17x8.5 Method MR316 with BFG AT K02 32.6x17x10.5. K&N Filter, Blacked out tailgate emblems.
    Reviving this thread - I have the Icon Coilovers up front, with CDCv etc, but am probably going to order some Dakars with the matching OME shocks. I've had OME's before on 2 land cruisers - 60 and 80 series, and they were awesome. Bed is empty most of the time but I do tow a 21' travel trailer with some load in the bed from time to time. I may get some airbags to use when loaded and help reduce the leaf fatigue over time. Any updates on all you guys that have been running these on your Tundra, now that another year and then some have passed?

Sequoia4trails and The Juice[OP] like this.
  9. Jan 7, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    The Juice

The Juice [OP] THE JUICE IS LOOSE !!

Member:
    COLORADO NATIVE
    Vehicle:
    2013 TUNDRA W/ ROCKET BOOSTERS
    FLUX CAPACITOR/ HOVERCRAFT CONVERSION
    - Hey man. I'm running OME 3"suspension on the front and OME NITRO shocks on the rear with stock leafs and one add-a-leaf. I also have the rear air bagged. My bed is empty most of the time except for my cap topper. I tow a 28 foot in the summer. I was going to get the OME leafs based on the price as my Stock leafs are blown.
    - I did a TON of research on this Site as well as others and saw to many people talking about the OME Leafs wearing out fast. I spent only a little bit more money and bought the Icon Leaf Pack. It has WAY MORE configurations available with what comes in the package for initial set up based on your needs for weight. I will keep the OME Nitro shocks in the rear because they are AWESOME and much less expensive than other options AND will handle the extra lift I get from the new leafs and air bags on inflation. I'm looking at upgrading my shackles as well which I believe you have to do with a lot of these leaf pack upgrades. (Do some Research). I got my best price from @Mike's Custom Toys here on this Site. Their customer service has been awesome. My Leafs shipped yesterday! I'll update when I get them installed brother. Good Luck!
    :burnrubber::burnrubber::threadjacked:

TOYOTARIG and ATHiker like this.
  10. Mar 4, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    crash8619

crash8619 New Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewCab 2017
    Just ordered my OME DAKAR Leaf Springs and Add a Leaf. Running Leitner rack with Full Pod (driver) and 2 smaller pods (passenger), + decked system. Install should be next week. Will report back.

BigTaco and oogabooga289 like this.
  11. Mar 4, 2021 at 4:53 PM
    oogabooga289

oogabooga289 New Member

Member:
    Looking forward to your impressions.

12. Mar 4, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    Classy63

Classy63 Valhalla’s Shield guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 platinum Barcelona red
    Toytec Aluma 2.0 front and rear, Toytec shackles, Toytec add a leaf pack, Tuff Country UCA’s, Firestone bags with daystar cups. JBA long tubes, w/3” cats, Dirty Deeds TRD replacement, DAP tune, AFE filter
    I will add to the list of people who say Dakar leafs are junk, they get rusty and looser than a 5 year olds shoe laces after a year. I swapped on the stock leafs back on with the toytec add a leaf pack, and ditched the OME rear shocks to the toytec 2.0 aluma shocks and what a difference, both setups use my toytec rear shackles. Now my truck is sitting at 3.5 front and 3 rear. When I can afford to, I am ditching the OME front coil overs to go with toytec to finish out the toytec package.

RJVA and TundraLaw like this.
  13. Mar 11, 2021 at 3:09 PM
    Baja Explorer

Baja Explorer New Member

Member:
    A few years ago, I bought the Dakars for my 2001 Tacoma 4WD extracab. My original springs had completely flattened over the 15+ years. On my Tacoma, I had a SnugTop shell (about 150-200 lbs.?) and a wood bed buildout (about 100 lbs.). With that load, I got about a 2.5" lift. One side was almost 3/4" higher than the other which irked me. I use my truck for extended Baja journeys and load about 1200+ lbs of gear (in addition to my shell and wood bed buildout). When fully loaded with gear, I lost over 3" in the rear and suffered from major BroLean. In fact, my 15-year old original leafs held the load better than the new Dakars. I was very disappointed. I added Timbren SES in the rear to help support the Dakar sag, which worked extremely nice. I recently sold that Tacoma and now have a 2016 Tundra 4WD DC. I'm building the suspension as we speak. Based on my experience with my Tacoma, I don't feel confident going with the Dakars because of my heavy load. They would be fine if I kept it under 500 lbs. (in addition to my shell and wood bed build-out). So I'll be going with Hellwig helper springs. I decided against airbags because I've read to often that they aren't the best for offroad punishment.

Products Discussed in

To Top