1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off-roading with a shell

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Spolar, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Mar 8, 2017 at 7:35 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Where is that pic taken?? IIMA? (new acro. If I may Ask) Topper looks good by the way.............

2. Mar 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    S of Camp Verde,AZ. About an hour from my house. Back side of a mt. called squaw peak. Can almost see 4 peaks in the distance.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Nice view. (The topper of course).....:mudding:

gosolo likes this.
  4. Mar 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    You are quoting my mantra Go Solo, figure out how to do it alone. Sometimes it takes a while and sometimes you get creative with leverage and stuff. (And really, sometimes you just need someone to help)

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 8, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    Cutter29

Cutter29 ...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White TRD PRO
    Oooooh photo thread?

6. Mar 8, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Cutter29 likes this.
  7. Mar 8, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Seeing these white beauties makes me happy I picked white too. Love your truck.

Cutter29[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    Spolar

Spolar [OP] Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    Lol yea no way I'm getting my shell off by myself.

9. May 7, 2017 at 2:18 AM
    TJ1794

TJ1794 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax 1794 TRD Off Road
    Tailgate popabd lock power lock actuator Toyota OEM tri-fold tonneau Bed Rug bed liner AMP Research powersteps Weather Tech floor liners and rain guards TRD Pro grille and color match surround/hood buldge Color match door handles and mirror caps ICON Stage 5 suspension 2.5" resi's with rear leaf pack and 1" front diff drop Fuel Pump 18"x9" rims +20 offset with 295/70R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
    Not running one on my current tundy but did on my '08. Can't really comment on the off-road aspects of rollin with a lid but as far as the removal without breaking ur back.... I installed a pulley system to anchors in my garage rafter cords at 4 corners of cap and could easily raise and lower the cap all by my lonesome. It becomes a bit more precarious if the cap doesn't have a rack to attatch lift points to, which then requires a squat with back against roof of cap while standing in bed and couple 2x4's handy that are cut to cap width plus about 6" overhang on each side with eyelet bolts though the ends of 2x's to attach lift straps to at the 4 corners. Only issue is you are now required to back ur truck in the garage when not using the cap, that is unless ur garage ceiling height is 10' or greater to have the cap high enough to clear ur rig. Note to self: mark the tire position of the truck on the garage floor so ur rig is in the correct spot when lowering cap back onto truck. My advice to Leer or ARE would be to install reinforced lift points on roof of cap and a lift system for buyers to do what I have described, even better throw in a electric winch and pully system with whip cord controller. That would be worth an extra 5bones to make life easier. Also a warning to prospective cap buyers, don't have the point of purchase for ur cap install it without giving you the option to inspect it first. My Leer required some dremmel sanding as the fiberglass inside edge of the cap at the bed rail is not always trimmed to avoid contact with bedrail (it's thickness varies). My first cap wore though to bare metal at all 4 corners of truck bed which was a major let down when I first removed the cap during the following spring. It may appear to clear at first but when the gasket flattens out over time the cap will settle and rubbing may be problematic.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  10. May 7, 2017 at 3:35 AM
    Mudduc

Mudduc New Member

Member:
    Longview tx
    I'll get in on some photos! Man, ive never had a problem with mine. I do "mild" off roading. I haven't been to the MOAB but I have been on some trails and no rubbing from the ARE. If it ever happens I'll let u know! I love my shell! 3rd pic is with the new GO RHINO installed front and rear. Ordering the 295 60 R20 ridge grapplers in a couple weeks!

20170407_192836(0).jpg
    20170409_104313.jpg

20170501_193801.jpg

Spolar[OP] and gosolo like this.
  11. May 7, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Nice happy smiles out the window!

Spolar[OP] likes this.
  12. May 7, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    Spolar

Spolar [OP] Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    That's what it's all about!

13. May 7, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    Mudduc

Mudduc New Member

Member:
    Longview tx
    Haha yeah my daughter is on the other side!
    They have a blast doing a little wheelin'! Got some mods since these pics. Need to go back and get some updated pics.

20170407_195504.jpg
    20170407_191256.jpg

gosolo likes this.
  14. May 7, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    @Spolar , regarding your original question, I have sustained some off road damage that I forgot to mention. A couple of times I have had the side camper windows open to provide air for my puppies, then had a branch poke through the screen. Usually easy to repair though.

15. May 7, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    Mudduc

Mudduc New Member

Member:
    Longview tx
    Never thought about that. Something to consider. Need some camper screen armor. Could put some expanded metal over them. Look like a tundra prison bus. Lol

16. May 7, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Screen is on the inside, so as long as you remember to close the window before you get into the thick stuff, you're okay.

Products Discussed in

To Top