1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not Impressed.

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by toyoboyo, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Mar 21, 2022 at 4:23 AM
    Joe T

Joe T New Member

Member:
    I’ve been checking reviews on the LC300 and LX600 as they have been out in other markets for a little longer.

Check out Youtube. Everyone is saying the 300 is better than the 200 and the US spec 3.5 turbo motor has more power than the 3.3 diesel. I think the 3.5 is standard in the LX600 in all markets.

The GX is basically the same level as a SR Tundra and the Sahara is almost identical to a low option LX600. Besides the motor.

Probably going to end up with an LX600 or Tundra on my next new vehicle purchase. Let them work some bugs out and get the commodity issues out of Asia fixed or replaced with other manufacturing sources.

RickyBobbysTundra likes this.
  2. Mar 21, 2022 at 7:29 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax

you can get AVS on a SR5 truck? which mode did you use, there was a big difference with comfort normal and sport I found.

I dont agree that it feels like a big tacoma at all, the tacoma is a disaster as far as Im concerned, shift logic, power, ride, etc. 2022 Tundra was way better in even regard.

Krusher22plat and TrimTab like this.
  3. Mar 21, 2022 at 3:31 PM
    sn_85

sn_85 New Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra 4WD, 2013 Land Cruiser, 2022 RAM 2500 Bighorn
    To clarify on that, it's kind of hard to explain, but the driving experience for lack of a better word isn't visceral. The engine is quiet, the steering is light, the plethora of electronic driving aids, auto start/stop and overall quietness of the truck. In terms of refinement and NVH Toyota really did a good job. I'm not saying the truck drives for you but it's closer to driving a Tesla than any Tundra has ever been before. Just a lot of things that take the quirks of driving out of your hand. Again, not good or bad but just an overall observation. In many ways I think taking out of quirks of driving along with the driving aids and overall quietness allows drivers to pay more attention to the road than having to deal with noise interruptions, heavy steering, or driver error.

Yep this SR5 had AVS so it is available as an option. I didn't mess around with it too much. I did use the drive modes a little bit and switched them around between normal and sport. It was a shorter test drive and it was actually the salesman's car so TBH I was driving it a little more careful than normal so I didn't really have a chance to open it up that much to tell the difference between the modes.

4. Mar 21, 2022 at 3:34 PM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    interesting, I thought the AVS was only for the platinum and 1794

5. Mar 21, 2022 at 3:39 PM
    sn_85

sn_85 New Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    You may be right, I'm not 100% sure on the nomenclature and if it's truly "AVS". I guess what I mean is that this SR5 had the air suspension upgrade option. It's probably called something different for SR5 models.

6. Mar 21, 2022 at 3:55 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Air suspension and AVS are different. SR5 can’t get AVS, only Platinum/1794 and Capstone. You can get just air suspension and the only way to get AVS is to have air suspension. AVS is the electronically controlled dampers and there should be a Comfort and Sports+ mode in the drive mode select.

sn_85 likes this.
  7. Mar 21, 2022 at 8:29 PM
    MJPlat

MJPlat New Member

Member:
    AVS/Drive Modes has 6 settings:
    Eco- only changes powertrain
    Comfort- only changes shocks
    Normal- duh
    Sport S- only changes powertrain
    Sport S+- changes powertrain, shocks and steering
    Custom- see below...

In Custom you have the following choices:
    Powertrain- Eco/Normal/Sport
    Suspension- Normal/Sport
    Steering- Normal/Sport

8. Mar 21, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    MJPlat

MJPlat New Member

Member:
    obligatory pic attached...

IMG_6262.jpg

9. Apr 3, 2022 at 1:37 AM
    sn_85

sn_85 New Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    I was able to schedule another test drive at a local dealership, this time I think with more of an open mind. My Tundra is still scheduled to arrive in the middle of April so I wanted additional seat time before I made my decision. I'm happy to report that my second and even longer test drive left me with a much more positive opinion on the truck. I think I had some time to digest my previous driving experience and this time around I did at least a 30 minute test drive with highway and inside roads. A big part of that was my salesman who asked me to drive him to his house since he forgot his lunch but that gave me extra seat time, so thank you for that lol. They provided with me an SR5 double cab. It had the TRD-OR package, heated steering wheel, heated softex seats and that was about it. It had the 8" screen, no PVM, no sunroof and a basic rear view mirror without dimming, homelink or that rear view camera thing. The truck had a spacer lift and 295/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. So not a "stock" driving experience but I don't think the truck noticed the change in tire size very much. It was also the white color and I don't think the chrome mustache looks as bad since it sorta blends in a bit better with a lighter color but yeah against darker colors it can be an eyesore.

As previously mentioned the fit and finish inside is really nice, no change on that. The SR5 is absolutely a step up from previous years and I would have no reservations going with a SR5 trim this generation. After going through a variety of highway roads, inside roads while opening it up a bit on the freeway and also driving like I normally would I am happy to report that I had a very good driving experience. The powertrain is fantastic and mated well to the truck. Shifts and acceleration are very smooth. It gets up to 70-80mph with ease and you'll have no issues merging onto the freeway or driving up mountain passes. Seat comfort is very good and I think hugs you a bit better than Gen 2.5 which I didn't think had very good thigh support. I know people have mentioned the small or more angulated front windshield but I don't think it feels small or impacts visibility. The hood is still large and the lines are still a little weird for me since there is a double v-shaped line but I think I got used to them and it was easier to keep the truck centered in the lane. As mentioned previous it's a very easy and quiet driving experience. Perhaps having a little less character than my previous vehicles and maybe more similar to my Land Cruiser than my FGT or even the Gen 2.5 which I've driven before as well. I came away enjoying my driving experience because the power is plentiful, seat is very comfortable, and the interior refinement is a step up.

My complaints are still the same as before such as no front tow hooks and non functional rear bumper design however I've softened my position on those a bit and previously mentioned that they weren't necessarily deal breakers either. I felt the Double Cab rear seat space was extremely small. Like smaller than my 2011 Tacoma DC rear seat space. I would not want to be back there for more than 30 minutes. I think the Tundra DC would work for single individuals or older married couples with adult children that are out of the house. Otherwise if you have kids or planning to have kids I wouldn't even consider it.

So I changed my position a bit. After my second extended test drive I actually like the truck a lot. So much so that I'm now really considering going through with my Tundra deposit (which is fully refundable btw). Lots to consider still but I'm glad to report I came away with a good driving experience the second time around.

RookieEP likes this.
  10. Apr 3, 2022 at 7:46 AM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Did you check the truck for that qc list ?

11. Apr 3, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    sn_85

sn_85 New Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    Haha I did not. But if I decide to go through with my order I'll be sure to do the check list run down on that one lol

Products Discussed in

To Top