1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not Impressed.

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by toyoboyo, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I finally got to sit in, and drive the new one. I came home, had guests over and saw a white Limited in my driveway. I went crazy, quickly said hello and asked for the keys.

My excitement began to diminish the more time I spent inside the truck and especially during my quick 4 mile drive.

Ventilated seats, they actually work... But they freaking DIM while I'm on/off the throttle. On throttle they dim and get weak, off throttle they go back to full strength. I also noticed the battery gauge fluctuating a lot. I wasn't flooring either, I'm talking very casual on/off throttle.

The materials weren't as nice as I expected them to be. Granted this was a limited, but in all honestly not much of an upgrade over the last gen. Fit and finish was noticeably better though.

The cabin space was small. I felt cramped. My 2017 Limited (which I sold 4 years ago) was much more spacious. More headroom, more width. My 2005 Sequoia is even more spacious than both.

The truck drives like my dads 2017 5.3 Silverado. Kind of numb and sedan like. My 2017 was way more trucky. Felt better in the hands and seat of the pants. A much more honest truck.

The JBL still sucks. Is Toyota stuck in some sort of contract with these guys?

All in all, it was pretty freaking lame-o and nearly a complete let down. I was hounding this forum for years. Hours on end refreshing, refreshing, and posting. I even called some 2020 and second gen guys haters (I apologize and take that back). Even though I was a 2nd gen owner, I was never on the hate bandwagon. I don't hate the new one, but I'm certainly not in the market anymore.

Toyota, I blame you and your corporate staff. Stop hiring college kids who learned cookie cutter ABC/123. Hire people with passion and vision. Not number crunchers. Blah blah blah % better. blah blah blah % more. You guys blew it and pulled a full GM by making something designed around standardized tests. You built a truck that looks good on paper and magazines. Youtubers and reviewers will always brown nose you so you guys invite them to your events. They will say all the right things to be selected. I was lied to by many many "trusted" reviewers and youtubers. What are those things called again? Where manufacturers invite a bunch of customers and give them sneak peaks early on but want feedback? One guy says he wants this feature, one guy says he wants that and doesn't like this. That's who built this truck.

Oh yeah, one last gripe.. This happened on the second gen too. Every time you watch a review on a TRD PRO model they always quickly say "Fox shocks" and move on. No elaboration, no specs, no REAL info. Just "FoxShocks" like it's supposed to trigger a dopamine rush in your brain so you make an impulse buy. Damn it, stop that. We're not children. They all do it too. Not doubting the performance of said suspension/shocks, but quit mentioning them just to market them. Tell us more, I don't want to research for hours on end, I want to be told which is why I'm watching.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

2. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:35 PM
    Toyota1234

Toyota1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2022, army green limited, off road, DC
    Well those are some wildly mild complaints lol

3. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:41 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I honestly haven't been on this forum or logged on in months, I've been away and have not read or followed up on these trucks at all. So my mind is not polluted with any info. It sounds like it's worse than what I'm saying. I really only had about 10-15 minutes inside the truck. Didn't even try the tailgate button.

Last time I was here the posts were flowing in about ADM and dealer mark ups. Something that happened very frequently in the 911 forums I'm on. Years before all this madness and before it made it's way to Toyota dealers.. To hell with that. ADM on a Tundra. Get the F outta here.

Chowdah and Terndrerrr like this.
  4. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:43 PM
    hairychestedfrog

hairychestedfrog New Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra SS Red Plt CM
    Serious question, did you have one or two Zimas before you wrote that?

5. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:45 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Welcome to tundras.com from Phoenix Arizona!

6. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:48 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    Claws bro

JJcksn12, 07 Tundie, Chowdah and 12 others like this.
  7. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey bro, thanks for the advice on the o2 extenders for the 1st gen long tube headers. They work great!

AZBoatHauler likes this.
  8. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:53 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    The wiring extenders? No problem, that was a deep rabbit hole to find those, but the company was great and great quality

9. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:54 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah those. Thanks for going down the rabbit hole, saved me some trouble. I'll call you Buggs from now on:thumbsup:

10. Feb 28, 2022 at 9:09 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    Y'all see, there was positivity in this thread after all...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the hands-on review @toyoboyo
    Makes me feel better about wanting to keep my 2014 for as long as possible...:D

11. Feb 28, 2022 at 9:16 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    That answers everything.

12. Feb 28, 2022 at 11:08 PM
    TundyMcTunra

TundyMcTunra Irrational people are not often convinced by facts

Member:
    Lost in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max 4x4, 2018 Tacoma Inferno TRDORDCSB, 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock, 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    I couldn't agree more OP. I was so looking forward to the 3rd gen and trading in my 2010 for the new bad boy. But it's such a disappointment in so many ways from the design to the plethora of issues and not just small quirks but big issues like turbo problems and warrantee delays because of parts shortages. Think I'll wait till the 3.5 comes out.

jeller75, TheBeast, DW707 and 2 others like this.
  13. Feb 28, 2022 at 11:16 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm still curious to see how the hybrid drives and would like to experienced those advertised HP/TQ numbers.

14. Mar 1, 2022 at 12:07 AM
    Mobeyk

Mobeyk New Member

Member:
    Oshawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra TRD pro, 2018 SR5
    Vland headlights, LED fogs, Rough country lower bumper LED bar, third light switch to LED, ICL ceramic coating, hood fender
    I was in the market for a new work truck. Gut feeling said stay away from a new gen model. I was at the dealership and looked at the 3rd gen and it felt van like if you guys can understand what I mean. It felt more like a Sienna than a truck, me being used to the 2012. I went straight after to a used car lot and am so glad I settled on a 2018. The dealership never called back despite my interest, which makes me more certain for my choice.
    In a way I think all the electronic gadgets and trinkets are getting out of hand. This should be in the hands of the individual user and honestly, some after market suppliers seem to get the electronic part ( maybe even the mechanical but certainly the aesthetics part ) of this trucks better than Toyota itself.

15. Mar 1, 2022 at 12:42 AM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I totally get your van handling like comment. It felt very weird and not right that a Tundra was driving like that. The 2nd gen was a gem to drive compared to this one IMO.

Its become very "check box" like rather than a Toyota truck. The "latest and greatest" type won't agree with this and some may just say "oh well" and compromise. I was one the people lined up and ready to buy sight unseen, my local dealer hated me I'm sure as I would constantly be up their asses with questions and wanting to order.

I wish it would've had the interior/features from the new one slapped over the 2nd gen's chassis plus a little roomier cabin. The screen (while not the best in industry) was really nice to have and look at. The wireless phone charger is a great touch too. They definitely did a lot of improvement inside, but just not the Toyota truck feel that I know from the past and that's not strict in comparison to the 2nd gen only. Also, I couldn't find the button that lowered the rear glass, and this was a crewmax trim. At the end of the day, I still need it to be a truck first and it really didn't impress me.

16. Mar 1, 2022 at 3:15 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    The challenge is that you can't please everybody. Some people want their truck to be old school and feel like a truck. Some prople want a living room on wheels. Some people want a bit smaller, some a bit bigger. Some want the old truck with new tech. Some want the new truck with no tech.

Curious to know how your guest likes their new vehicle. Did you walk in the front door after your test drive just with smoke coming out of your ears and ruin the party? Lol just kidding.

Armament, landphil, snivilous and 7 others like this.
  17. Mar 1, 2022 at 3:47 AM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Didn't spoil the party but still gave them my congrats. They waited a while for that truck and at least their "hook up" got them the truck at MSRP while that dealer was charging ADM... MSRP is a favor, what a time to be alive!

The handling and the drive just really turned me off, along with the ventilated seats getting weaker and stronger on/off throttle. That made it feel very incompetent. This is a Toyota, and it felt like Kia's attempt at a full size truck.

I know this is the lions den being the 3rd gen section, but I'm not even one of those old school guys that was having a meltdown at not having a V8 and screaming my lungs off for a diesel. I have no gripes with the engine and trans or a TTV6.

18. Mar 1, 2022 at 3:52 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Quality rant.

19. Mar 1, 2022 at 3:58 AM
    mikesTundra77

mikesTundra77 BRAAAAP BRAAAP

Member:
    First Name:
    M_i_k_e
    earth, sol system
    Vehicle:
    BLOOD,SWEAT+BEERS
    4 " ready lift kit General grabbers 35" Rock warrior wheels 17" Leather Clazzio seat covers KN intake StartX remote starter HRS sequential tails Custom grille+badge ME-SO map lights+dome light Lots of CHROOOOME
    Meh, it was hate at first sight for me. I found the new one super duper ugly on the front clip so that was it for me. I don't care what bells and whistles or complaints it has cuz honestly I'll never drive an ugly ass tundra or even give it a chance as long as it looks as derpy as it currently does. Pass!!!

JPritch and TundyMcTunra like this.
  20. Mar 1, 2022 at 4:11 AM
    Totherion

Totherion New Member

Member:
    Imagine a RL friend of yours asking to borrow the keys to your new truck, sitting in it and then dogging it out on these forums lol.

Toyotoholic likes this.
  21. Mar 1, 2022 at 4:18 AM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Imagine having a such a negative perception on life and the conception of back stabbing move. It wasn't even friends, it was family. Oh, the horror!

You know, there are people out there who can have casual conversations without getting butt hurt, jealous, or ego bruised. Constructive criticism, for the better. For knowledge. We're not the Jones' and we're not trying to keep up with one another. Fragility is negativity!

22. Mar 1, 2022 at 4:27 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    Sometimes that's all it takes is a couple things to rub you the wrong way. I haven't really tried the cooled seats. I turned them on once and they worked, but it's been freezing up here since the day I picked up the truck.

I came from a Platinum F150 to a Limited Tundra and there are definitely some compromises or downgrades. But overall I'm super happy and have no complaints.

The_Suspector and Jkeown like this.
  23. Mar 1, 2022 at 4:28 AM
    MEWaters

MEWaters New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    07 2UZFE TRD OR; previous 02 AC 323k
    Eibach pro suspension Nitro 4.88 with Auburn Pro LSD and PTFE diff bushings Level 8 MK6 18x9 SAIS bypass JBA cat back Scangauge 2 Diode dynamic fogs. LED heads Husky liners
    Give me a box with wheels, amber blinker, dashboard shift. I even find the electronics and knobs of the 2nd gen repulsive

24. Mar 1, 2022 at 4:40 AM
    TundraTed

TundraTed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD Sport Crewmax 4x4
    In order: Orvis dog cover for rear bench seat, OE gun safe, Husky liners front/rear, Tyger tonneau tri fold, Rough Country seat covers
    I agree with OP on who to blame :anonymous:

25. Mar 1, 2022 at 5:08 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Interesting to me that you note the ventilated seats issue. My 2021 F150 at work does the same thing, but with the HVAC system. The fan increases and decreases in direct opposition to throttle application. More throttle, less fan. Less throttle, more fan. Drives me nuts.

26. Mar 1, 2022 at 5:28 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Nobody puts these on trucks any more either. They've gone the way of the locking fuel door for some reason.

27. Mar 1, 2022 at 6:05 AM
    Slicer97

Slicer97 New Member

Member:
    Giddings, TX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road
    All I want to know is, why hasn't every truck manufacturer just implemented Chevy's rear bumper design?

The rest of the Silverado/Sierra is kinda meh, but they designed that bumper well.

With my Tundra, I have to climb into the bed and then let the tailgate down (or pay ~$400 for a bolt-on bed step that should have come standard on every truck they make).

Integrating a step into the bumper seems like it would the cheapest, simplest solution.

Texmech, Berettafan, dekeman and 6 others like this.
  28. Mar 1, 2022 at 6:09 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Good question. Same reason other manufacturers don't have Toyota's full size roll down rear window?

I like the GM design but, as my FIL pointed out, it's not that useful if you have a cap. It's also redundant if you have their multi pro tailgate. My brother just uses his like stairs to get into the bed of his Sierra.

Texmech likes this.
  29. Mar 1, 2022 at 6:14 AM
    SLVR6

SLVR6 New Member

Member:
    Patents of course

GODZILLA and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  30. Mar 1, 2022 at 6:16 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name: