1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newest Member---back in Black

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by myblktundra, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mar 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    quote from borla to back up my comment from a early post. i could have saved my self some typing:oops:

http://www.borla.com/support/faqs/

Q. Is a bigger pipe and muffler system better?
    No, there has to be a balanced design to enhance the maximum engine output, exhaust gas velocity, and sound. If the diameter of the tubing is too large, the exhaust gas velocity will be reduced and rob the exhaust of thermal efficiency. Unfortunately we often disprove accepted racer mentalities like bigger is better. We must spend a great deal of energy explaining to someone how a 4" exhaust pipe will not work as efficiently as a 3" pipe. That is hard sometimes, but it is why we have magazine editors. Even with our excellent "track record" winning more professional car races than all the other muffler makers combined, we still often have to prove our theories to very well know top racers. One of these issues is volume versus velocity. The late John Lingenfelter helped us prove this over and over with his legendary Corvette exploits. People were often amazed how he would run 600 plus horsepower Vettes with 2 1/2" exhaust. If 4" would have made John go faster, he would have run it. We need to have a pipe large enough to overcome the boundary layer restriction in a dynamic flow situation while maintaining exhaust speed and evacuation. This isn't a simple axiom to understand, but the second best explanation is to say in race classes where let us say the budgets are seldom limited and the rules are not restrictive regarding exhaust, you will observe much smaller exhaust header tubing and exhaust pipes than some kids run on their 190-horsepower hand-me-down Honda sports compacts on the street.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. Mar 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    That is tight. Great looking Tundra.

3. Mar 16, 2015 at 9:01 AM
    myblktundra

myblktundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black Stallion
    De-Badged, Murdered Out
    Thank you all for the thorough explanation of bigger exhaust pipes. Overall, I think what I posted was incorrect of what I really wanted to relay. I agree with the borla and FAQ's. (can't argue physics)....There is no doubt that bigger piping of (4-4.5") from factory 2.5" wouldn't improve the performance.....I should have said, piping should be a tad bigger from stock 2.5" to maybe 3" from Cat back....The 4-4.5" size is only the tip size exiting the rear bumpers!

I had a Borla system on my 2006 C6 Vette, 6 speed and CAI/ X-Pipe........The HP/rumbling/solid sound gain from it was Amazing/Outstanding......I had a guy in a Mercedes CL55 AMG (5.5 L , supercharged 469HP)...rev'd and tooked off on me one day.....My Vette dyno'd at 430HP at the wheels took him at 3rd gear at 105 MPH.....

I didn't know Borla made mufflers for trucks. I will check it out!

Thanks again fellas....Much appreciated

4. Mar 16, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    myblktundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black Stallion
    De-Badged, Murdered Out
    Scratchex: The stubby antenna is from Ebay and for my Lexus LS430 which I bought a couple years ago but never used....It came with different size screw on tips to fit diff cars....Remember, your radio stations will suffer bc of the size/height of the antenna.....Overall, I was going for the Looks :mudding: and radio reception is not bad nor great......

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Mar 16, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    scratchex

scratchex New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Limited
    3" lift TRD Exhaust 20" Fuel Lethal Wheels Toyo AT Tires Black Flares w/ spikes
    Thanks! I like the subtle look & it's something I think I want to change. I don't mind losing terrestrial radio since I never listen to it. I primarily listen to satellite radio when I'm not on bluetooth audio.

6. Mar 16, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    myblktundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black Stallion
    De-Badged, Murdered Out

Found the same size/look from Amazon. $25
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Stubby-Antenna-Toyota-Tundra/dp/B00757KJTI/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_3

scratchex likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    myblktundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black Stallion
    De-Badged, Murdered Out
    Update:

I decided to go with Magnaflow Muffler and (Lightning) style side exhaust, Dual 3.5" tips.....
    I will probably powder coat/black out the tips this wk.....

Sounds AWESOME......:thumbsup::thumbsup::bananadance::headbang:

IMG_2093.jpg FullSizeRender-4.jpg FullSizeRender-5.jpg

tuna813 likes this.
  8. Mar 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Sound clips are a must...inside cabin and out

9. Mar 16, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    myblktundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black Stallion
    De-Badged, Murdered Out
    Hmmmm, the sound is moderate and not loud, the way I want it.....I will attempt to record with my Iphone and upload if possible....

10. Mar 16, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Upload it to YouTube, and then link it here.

Products Discussed in

To Top