1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need info on removing factory remote start, to install fortin Evo unit

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Seafury, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Jun 19, 2020 at 4:45 AM
    Seafury

Seafury [OP] Kickin names, and takin ass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    2014 White 1794 "SnowWhite aka the Frost Queen"
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    I'll have my remote start Fortin unit within hours.

I still need some advice from someone that has gone through this install with factory remote start being removed.

Anyone out there?

Please help, don't want to fry my new truck.
    Thanks!

2. Jun 19, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    Bump.

Still need some guidance please if you have done this swap.

3. Jun 19, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    Jolla_At_Ya_Boy

Jolla_At_Ya_Boy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A-A-Ron
    Spokane, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited Crewmax
    BAM 10" Exhaust w/ Toyota black tip, ALL lights LED, added footwell and puddle lights, AMP Research PowerSteps, Wet Okole neoprene seat covers, 100% interior/exterior chrome delete (ajt for interior), trd front and rear sway bars, trd skid plate, King Performace 2.5 front and rear suspension, BBS forged TRD Pro wheels, audio system rebuild, Cooper at3 xlt 275/70/R18’s, undercover swing case, front windows tint matched to rear, spray in bed liner, Rigid SAE Fog light retrofit w/ TRD Pro bezels, FRAC harness with front camera
    Have you tried using techstream to shut off the factory remote start? On a 2014 you don't have to worry about the keyless entry/push button start issue that the 2020's have. You absolutely cannot install an aftermarket remote start to achieve the desired results from the EVO. I might be wrong but I believe all Tundras have the ability for factory remote start from the factory that just needs activation from Techstream. There may be a module that was connected as well but if you shut it off in techstream it should not need to be removed. Just install your Fortin and enjoy

4. Jun 19, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for advice.
    No techstream here, and that won't do it anyway, you have to remove the plugs everywhere.

Just got the factory remote start unplugged and tested truck, all seems good.

Now working on installing the Fortin unit.
    But I'm stuck in the truck, battery disconnected while a severe thunderstorm passes. Sure wish I had a fucking garage :mad:

Looking at vids and instructions while rain and thunder pounds my truck is fun lol.
    :burnrubber:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  5. Jun 19, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    OK after 4 hours and fighting the severe thunderstorms, she is done.

Nothing broke, everything back in its place, only 2 scratches on my dash lol.

It's alive! :alien:

Works great!
    No more truck shutting off when I unlock it bullshit! :amen:

No pics but I will do a short write up for the next person so they know what to expect.

:burnrubber:

BlancaLaGordita and TXTundra2722 like this.
  6. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:50 PM
    Marockus

Marockus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra trd
    Level kit. 1.5 spacers. De-chromed. De-badged. Power tailgate lock. Hdx tube steps
    Hey seafury, I am.having the same challenges with my 2019. I got the oem remote start removal vague instructions from tech support at fortin. I got most of the factory t harness unlugged and replugged but the black module under the blower housing is unplugged as well as the foam covered connector. The problem is there is supposed to be another connector down there to plug into the black module to complete the removal. I can't find it. Now the fortin cranks but won't start the truck. Before trying to remove the oem unit. The fortin worked perfect except the door locks did not activate. Can you help clarify please?

7. Jan 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Marockus

Marockus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra trd
    Level kit. 1.5 spacers. De-chromed. De-badged. Power tailgate lock. Hdx tube steps
    SOLVED. so in the end, i did a ton of searching on line and inquiring to Fortin to figure this out. its quite simple. after removing most of the bottom of the dash including the lower steering column, heater controls , glove box, kick panels, radio/nav unit and pass side airbag (did not unplug anything), i located the remote start unit (RES) on the pass side , on the left behind the glove box. unplugged this unit and just followed its (RES) harness. it went to the pass side kick panel where i unplugged it from the bunch of plugs in there. there was a gray plug there that fit into the socket i had pulled the (RES) harness from. i then followed the harness in the opposite direction towards the console. At the heater blower, there is a black box that the (RES) harness is plugged into. unplug that and the other white 3 pin connector.(pink wires). just leave that one hanging there. not required anymore. keep following the (RES) harness up and behind the radio. there is a black socket taped to a harness. it has a plug on the left that is a T from the RES harness. it has a bunch of yellow wires coming from it. unplug that T and join the two black plugs together. now for the steering column. the RES harness is plugged into your ignition (key) plug. the original plug is zip tied to the column. they look identical. just swap them.
    there now everything is back to a non-oem remote start truck. you can easily install and program your Fortin evo one and now the door locks will activate with your fob.

8. Oct 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    grampadeal

grampadeal New Member

Member:
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky Metallic Tundra 1794
    I'm in the exact same boat here, looking at the Tech12Volts system. Are there any particular gotchas or things to look out for when removing the factory remote start? Did y'all just follow the instructions backwards?

Thanks!

9. Jul 30, 2022 at 2:22 PM
    White Puff

White Puff New Member

Member:
    So you're saying I should be able to access that black plug with all the yellow wires after I remove my head unit out?

10. Jan 15, 2023 at 4:19 PM
    hoopin4you

hoopin4you New Member

Member:
    Does anyone know if the factory RES can be removed from the Tundra/Sequoia and transferred to another comparable one? I just acquired a '14 Sequoia Platinum with the factory RES, but I want to transfer my 12volt.solutions remote start package (or get another one). I'd like to sell the factory one if it can be removed and used in another one.

Products Discussed in

To Top