1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need info on removing factory remote start, to install fortin Evo unit

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Seafury, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Jun 13, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    Seafury

Seafury [OP] Kickin names, and takin ass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    2014 White 1794 "SnowWhite aka the Frost Queen"
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    Sorry, I don't really see a section for remote start discussions. Move this thread if you need to.

Does anyone have experience doing the above?

I have confirmed I have factory remote start, alarm, and immobilizer.

I can't find anything online, or YouTube about what exactly I need to do with the factory system, and its plugs, so I can properly install the fortin Evo one when I buy it.

I have asked a certain popular vendor here but he did not really have answers and his one sentence responses to my several questions were just not very helpful. Fairly surprised and disappointed after the glowing reviews people wrote.... Maybe I just reached out at a bad time....

Please help, I want to order this and get away from this factory remote start pos.

I am skilled and knowledgeable enough to do even a hard wire remote start myself, but not familiar with the Tundra systems and want to do this right and not damage my new daily driver.

Thanks gang!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Jun 13, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    So this is a disappointing result.
    Nobody else has had to do this but me?

I really do need help.
    I am ready to order the fortin Evo one unit.
    But need to know how to make the swap over safely.

Hope everyone is out enjoying the beautiful weather lol.

3. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    Is the fort in Evo really that much better? Just curious.

4. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Factory remote start works fine.
    However, to get in the truck you unlock the doors, and the truck shuts off!
    Get in, key in, and start truck again.
    Also can not engage remote start, and get out of truck to run in a store or whatever.

This is the standard function on every single toyota vehicle. They claim for safety reasons.
    No other brand, vehicle, or aftermarket remote start acts this way.

It is super annoying, and almost useless as is.

Also burning out the starting system due to double starting all the time is fucking dumb.
    Have you see how hard it is to replace the starter on the Tundra lol?

I use remote start every day.
    I can't stand it anymore, it has to go, asap.

The Fortin Evo one, and most quality aftermarket remote starts work properly on the truck.

I just need to know how to deal with removing or unplugging this pos factory system, alarm, immobilizer, and remote start, so I can install the Fortin, which by itself seems very easy!

BlancaLaGordita likes this.
  5. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    Coupe

Coupe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota X-Runner
    TRD S/C, headers, APR X1, T56 Magnum 6 spd, NST pullies, Stptech Big Brake Kit, dropped, leather
    In almost every situation there is one person that is first for a particular mod.

Today you may be that person.

6. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    Thank you for clearing that up.

7. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    That is certainly true my friend.

However, I would think that unlikely in this situation, but I'm starting to think you may be right lol.

8. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Op. Please have a little patience with the process. Getting that kind of detailed help that fast is gonna be hard. It’s the weekend and a lot of the members are not sitting by their screens. Idk if anyone has done this but I would believe someone has. Let’s see what kind of response you get in a day or so. You might want to include a bump post here or there to keep it current.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  9. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    No problem buddy.

Maybe this does not bother some folks. But I've had remote start on every vehicle since the 90s and this just irritates me to no end lol.

I have been ready to order for a few days now, but I am the type to research and understand a project before I shell out money for a mistake.

I just wish I was experiencing the level of support and guidance I see so many others here receive from other members and certain highly regarded vendors.
    Maybe I smell bad or something lol.

I have been posting a lot lately trying to help and share my experiences where I can, so I am a team player for sure.

Thanks for any help.

10. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. You are right. I am just in a hurry to get rid of this pos factory system. And I still have to wait for the new unit in the mail, after I order it.

I've been ready for awhile now, and am surprised this is not a well covered subject already, and that the vendor did not have ready answers so he could take my order and money, being an expert in these and all......

I understand it's the weekend and everyone is out having fun as they should and deserve.

I will keep waiting, and bumping as needed.

Thanks for the kind encouragement.

11. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Yes but remember you are still a newer member and sometimes it takes time. This forum is the best thing for helping with our trucks but it gets a little rough when you are looking for solutions that are rare. Have you googled the removal of factory remote start? Also james is crazy busy for good reason it’s not that you smell bad I promise.

12. Jun 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    I already got the factory install docs from a vendor. That was all he had to offer. That is how I know I have alarm, and immobilizer with remote start.

However, those instructions don't tell me if I need to just unplug the factory shit, or replug certain things to other stock things, or completely remove the harnesses or what.

That is the real issue. It's just not super helpful for what I really need to know.

And no, I was not expecting answers right away, I get it bro. I am just surprised this isn't more common knowledge already, I searched, a lot, with zero luck, every tundra forum, and Google, and YouTube. I can't be the first, or even 100th guy that needs help to do this.

I am mostly miffed the most recommended vendor could only offer 1 sentence answers to my few questions, and had almost no answer to this specific question, after all the raving people here have done about them. They gave me higher expectations then that. Maybe I'm just unlucky lol.

I will keep waiting patiently for some nice folks to shed some light on this for me.

This site is the best, I've looked around, and full of awesome people, and knowledge, and very helpful.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  13. Jun 13, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Are you trying this on the 2014?

14. Jun 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    I found this don’t know if it helps

http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/install/PT398-34150inst.pdf

It looks as if the factory system is got connections all over the place. Depending on your skill level you might want to have Toyota uninstall the fortin units are very easy to install I have them in my trucks with car link.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  15. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Yes I am newish, been lurking a long time as a 4Runner owner, guess that matters sometimes. That's why I've tried to post on thing's I know about to help others.

Yep I've tried searching a lot on my own, and reached out to a vendor, no luck really.

I'll keep waiting patiently, no worries.

16. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:05 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Yes, see my profile info in my post, next to avatar pic.

2014 1794 Edition.

17. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. The vendor was nice enough to send me the Toyota factory RES install doc. But as I said, that does not really help for uninstalling to know what can stay, what has to be plugged back into what factory plugs etc.

It also does not address or mention the factory alarm, or immobilizer, so I still need info on how to deal with those, if even required.

No chance I will pay toyota to remove the factory setup. Not worth the money to me, to do that. If I can rebuild engines, and install custom stereos for 20 years I can handle this. I just need the proper information to do it the right way without damaging my new to me cherry truck. If I had previous electrical experience with the Tundra I would probably not even be asking any questions, but the smart man learns before he breaks things.

18. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I did not take offense, hope nobody has to my posts either. I am not mad or anything. Disappointed in a vendor maybe, just trying to do research and be prepared. It's hard to convey proper emotions in text sometimes.

:)

Yes I've read the thread many times and have posted to it. That one guy had the only real info, which is helpful for sure but it does not mention factory alarm or immobilizer, so I don't know what to do, if anything, in relation to those 2 items in my truck.

Yes everyone here is very cool compared to some other Tundra sites, no doubt about that. I appreciate being here.
    The 4Runner community still wins I think lol. Just more of them compared to Tundras.

:burnrubber:

19. Jun 13, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    Maybe I read this too fast... but im confused. You said you were given the information on installing the factory tundra setup up, but you can't use it in reverse to remove? Send us or post up what was sent to you please. On a side note.... I've read several posts on here about people being unhappy with the factory remote start. I don't ever remember reading anyone posting up whether they removed it themselves though, or took it somewhere to have it removed.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  20. Jun 13, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Yes I was sent the install instructions for the factory RES remote engine starter. Attached below.

Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe it was to late last night when I was reading it, or both lol. But I can't make good sense of what to unplug, and replug, back into the truck, to return it to stock, before installing the Fortin unit. Also confusing, is the Fortin unit uses less connections....

And none of this mentions the factory alarm, or immobiler. Does it need to be dealt with some how? Does my new Fortin come with instructions on how to deal with the factory alarm and immobiler, and I just need to order it to see that?

And yea Toyotas idea of remote start leaves much to be desired I'm afraid lol.

I'm sure some one has delt with this, just need one of those nice folks to chime in and give me the low down :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

21. Jun 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    On my 2014 I put a compustar. Just bought the wiring harness and the only thing that had to be tapped into was the TPMS wire I think. Everything plays nice now.

22. Jun 13, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Just ordered the Fortin Evo one with lifetime from tech12volts.

I'm sure I'll get this figured out. Or I'll return, or sell it to some one else lol.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  23. Jun 13, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Did you get carlink module? I use that more then the key. It’s damn handy and also has gps

AZTundra likes this.
  24. Jun 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    I plan to, but the budget only allows the main unit and lifetime warranty this month. Just got back from the beach, where I finally had enough of the factory remote start lol.

Will order the carlink next month if the main unit works well after I install it.

25. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    OK tech12volt remote start with lifetime will be here Friday.

I am still looking for good instructions on what exactly I need to do about my factory remote start.

I have found vauge sketchy info in the groupbbuy thread about unplugging something behind the radio, and in the driver foot well, but I would like to know more.

Yes, I asked James, he did not have anything to offer except sending me the factory remote start install pdf and to do it in reverse. Somewhat useful, but not really.
    Maybe I'm being dense lol.

1) What to unplug exactly, and where it is?
    2) What to plug back into what to return it to stock, and ready to accept the Fortin unit?
    3) Do I need to do anything with the factory alarm and immobilizer, or does the Fortin unit take care or all that?

Thanks for any help if you have done this before.

26. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    What if the new Evo overrides the factory remote start maybe give that a try I installed the Evo from 12volt almost 2 years ago and it was easy plug and play if it don’t work back to the drawing board

27. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the thought.

I have already confirmed the factory remote start has to be removed from the truck, or at least unplugged, and the trucks plugs returned to stock locations, whatever those are.

28. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    Dang sorry

29. Jun 17, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    No worries man.

I appreciate the reply regardless :thumbsup:

30. Jun 17, 2020 at 11:00 AM
    ChillTree

ChillTree New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Pro Rims
    if the toyota app is anything like the Lexus one....any function takes FOREVER(maybe 30-1 min) whether it be starting or unlocking the vehicle. so yes...FORTIN is better in response time alone. (3 seconds tops). The only feature i do wish it had is if it would tell me i forgot to lock the truck lol. whether its worth the effort and extra $350-500....? thats up to u. i can say i love that i dont have to restart the engine once i get in tho. my Honda has the same "safety' feature where it turns off. and i had to replace the starter after 4 years.

If u get it from James at tech12...make sure u get the TPMS harness replacement instead of splicing($50).

Products Discussed in

To Top