1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a new grill

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Pudge, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Apr 2, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Depends. How many people will you feed at a party? Will a turkey fit in the 24"? Can the 24" go above 350*? I know mine can go to 600* (I have never tried).

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  2. Apr 2, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Good point on the turkey. I'll have to check that. I don't have friends so no worries on the party thing haha

TXMiamiFan and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  3. Apr 2, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Here is my 2 cents. I own 3 styles of grills

side burn stick smoker. Use for big smoking briskets butts and everything else needed to host a bbq

weber 4 burner propane. I use for seafood and steak always. I’m with you on heat up fast and provide a great sear

small Weber charcoal never really touch this thing anymore

a pellet smoker with wifire is on the list because of ease but it needing power to operate kinda scares me. I. In southwest Florida and we get a ton of rain. I would still use my Weber for steaks even with the pellet smoker in the arsenal.

On a $500 and under budget I would go Weber can’t beat the 10 year warranty. I would get a cover for it I bought a cover that has a lifetime warranty. My Weber was around the $900 range but I’m sure you can find a 3 burner spirit or whatever they call that series now around your price point. If your looking to make a real investment for a top knot grill I would go with a bull propane grill

4. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I scored a camp chef pellet grill for a little under 500 to my doors. 699 regular price. I'll report back in a couple week . Thanks everyone!

5. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Smoke on!

6. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Boomshakalaka.

7. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    :popcorn:

8. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Starting to think I will just keep this thing in the garage. I've always been a leave the grill on the deck guy, but I don't have a roof of any kind and idk if I can trust a cover thru new England winters. Garage and roll it out will be fine with me. Especially with the electronics

BravoDeltaRomeo and Boerseun like this.
  9. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    Njmike13

Njmike13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hunterdon county, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO Lunar Rock
    I dont know what kind of space you have but you could make something like this. A friend of mine who lived in upstate ny made one and used old windows he got for free and enclosed 3 sides. It looked cool and allowed him to be out there in any weather. 98e2824ed8e01ac4c4a8661732a4be35.jpg

10. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    yes sir! That is a deal! I am guessing it does not have the searing station or it does?

You will really like it. My wife is not a big charcoal fan. The pellets are good middle ground between gas and charcoal! You will love how versatile it is.

Njmike13 and Pudge[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  11. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I could build a little roof structure on my deck for it. It really won't take much. We shall see.
    I may use it more in the winter if I don't need to shovel the deck to get to it lol

Njmike13[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I'm really excited to try it out.
    No sear station....not yet anyway. I figured I would see how I like this set up and decide after. I can add one on to this model so it's an option down the road.

13. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    It might be cheaper to just get a small portable/camp gas grill for the searing than to get the camp chef unit. I think they were more than $200. But try without it first. I don't miss it on my pellet grill.

14. Apr 3, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I am going to be patient and see how it goes without it. I still have my old weber LP grill that gets HOT if I needed to use it.
    I did some research and saw some cool options for pellet grills for "sear stations" one is a tray with lava rocks that seems cool, especially for general grilling. This would also eliminate the need for propane.
    https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-universal-sear-daddy-pellet-grill-searing-station/

I'll see how the unit does on it's own. I'm ready to rock with a tri tip and some ribs.

15. Apr 3, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    buy some searing grill grates. They lay down some mean sear marks and really conduct the heat. They get hot!!!

something like this:

https://www.grillgrate.com/18-5-gri...MIh9iH8_nM6AIVRbaWCh2cvwR2EAQYAiABEgI0Z_D_BwE

Products Discussed in

To Top