1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a new grill

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Pudge, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Apr 1, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I'm giving up on my 20 year old Weber propane grill. It's been amazing for so long and still work okay but needs new burner tubes and new cooking grates. It has been outside, uncovered for all its life. I have replaced the the internals and grates once about 6 years ago. It'll cost me about 150 to fix it up again but idk if I want to. I found a 6 year old Weber 3 burner for 200 bucks locally that is good to go and I may just go that route. Not sure.

My budget is not huge...yet anyway. If I go straight propane I won't spend over $400. I'd prefer Weber if propane.

I like the idea of a pellet grill / smoker but not sure they get hop enough to sear a steak. And have no idea how long they take to heat up for say a quick burger or a few dogs.

I really like the camp chef pellet grill, smoker, with 900° propane side sear box. But those are about 800.

I do not want charcoal only, and while I do want an BG Egg, I am just not ready for that commitment and learning curve.

So for you traeger and other pellet grill, smoker guys let me know what you honestly think.

I have an electric smoker that I like and use. But could ditch that for something better, like a pellet pooper.

I like propane because its fast and hot and I have my deck plumbed from my whole house propane tank so no refills needed. I'd like something kind quick and that can get hot when grilling.

Lemme hear about what you have an how you like it.

I am also concerned about longevity. I don't wanna spend a ton on something that won't last. Itll be out on the deck. I will cover the new grill and if needed would build a small roof over it to help a little. I live in CT so I grill in the cold and snow and it will get snow and ice on it for 4+ months a year.

2. Apr 1, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.

I guess there is no pleasing you, Mr. Powers.

TRDFerguson and Pudge[OP] like this.
  3. Apr 1, 2020 at 9:06 PM
    EAK

EAK New Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 White 1794
    BAMuffler 8” SS Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon UCAs
    Not sure if you have a Costco around you. If you do, check out their version of a BGE. I've seen them on sale around $600. If you can wait until Memorial Day (5/25), a lot retailers have grills on sale.

I own a Primo Oval XL and love it. I leave mine uncovered on the back deck and grill year-round. Most Komado style (clay) smokers are the same. The differences lie in the availability of accessories. Their longevity is fantastic as long as you don't go humpty dumpty on them.

upload_2020-4-2_0-2-13.jpg

TXMiamiFan likes this.
  4. Apr 1, 2020 at 9:27 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    D3D0EB81-3020-4AA4-AF4D-23211B54F37A.jpg
    This may not answer your question directly, but in any event, I went the best of both worlds for our use. I bought a cheap craigslist Weber Spirit a few years ago and rebuilt it. Then I got the cheapest entry level Traeger smoker with my Dad’s employee discount at a local hardware store. Combined those are about, maybe a little over the price you suggested.

I had a charcoal grill and smoker in the past - too hard to keep regulated especially if you aren’t on it 24/7. We use the Weber a lot. The quick heat and control is essential in my view. In fact my wife probably uses it more than I do getting veggies, chicken and pizza started on it before I get home from work. Simplicity is big. And we use the Weber 12 months a year, and we live in Pa. Now, the Traeger. You can cook on it, and it gets great, but there is a learning curve for it, and at higher temps, you will burn through pellets quick, and the bags run $10 to $20 a bag = spendy. Now, on the other hand, Smoking is a dream on it. Nothing like it when I have a whole day at home and can smoke and smell the smells all day in the yard. Lower temps so you don’t blow through pellets as quickly. Set and forget, just keep the pellet tub filled. You don’t need to be on it, 24/7, can fill the pellets, then take a trip to Home Depot, come home and check the pellets, fill again, mow grass, check pellets - you get the idea. Hardcore smoking dudes say it’s cheating, but I don’t care at all. I enjoy smoking and the food tastes much better on it, than the messes I used to get myself into with my charcoal smoker, so it’s a no brainer for me.

Hope that helps!FEC881B0-2995-421E-9E4F-7B43F655FA42.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  5. Apr 1, 2020 at 9:50 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    Sean,

Bare with me if I get long winded.....

In case you can't tell by the grilling and smoking forum, I am very active and have owned many grills and smokers. I have cooked on $20k gravity and offset stick burners to $100 charcoal grills.

You know the saying buy once, cry once? Well that comes into play with pellet grills. I am lucky and saved for 1 year and bought my $2,500+ Yoder and is one of the best things I have ever bought and the wife agrees!

I would for sure bite them bullet and go with a pellet grill. It smokes, grills, bakes, Sears, etc.... It literally can replace your gas, charcoal, and electric smoker. The reason they are expensive is:

1. They are popular and a fad right now.
    2. They literally replace the 3 types of grills mentioned above.

My first pellet grill was a Traeger I bought was a package deal from Costco. It was on the lower to medium end from Traeger. It was okay. Food tasted great, but it was not consistent at all temp wise especially when it was cold out. If you set it at 250, it would range from 210 to 275 during a cook. This is verified with higher end temperature probes, not the reading on the grill. It got up to 400 or so and would lightly sear, but nothing crazy. I ended up giving it to my sister and her family.

I then bought a RecTec Bull and it was a significant step up. Can not remember, but I believe $900. It was a step up and well worth it. Much better quality and held temps better. It also got a little hotter and could sear pretty decent. I was still wanting more and wanting to try a true higher end pellet grill.

That led me to my Yoder YS640. I am not going to go too much into it, but it is on a completely whole other level. Really accurate temps and it is stupid heavy. Holds temps like you wouldn't believe and cold does not effect it. Can set it at 650 degrees, with grilling grates I am seeing 800+ degrees on them.

With all that being said, I also have a buddy that has had the Camp Chef with the searing station. He has had it for 1.5 years and he grills and smokes about 3x a week also. No problems and does a fine job. More on the level of RecTec or a Trager Pro line or whatever they are called.

I also have a couple buddies with the cheaper department store $400 pellet grills. Food taste pretty good, but they are very thin metals and really struggle in the cold. One is in its second season and really starting to see some wear in hinges, rust, etc....

If you can swing $800, I would hands down go with Camp Chef. My buddy got his on sale for $899, so they must be really dropping the price during the times. Another one I would look at is Green Mountain Grills. I have been looking at them in the local grilling store and they are around same price and pretty heavy also. RecTec is right there also. I would look at those 3 in that price range as they are pretty equal.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-wifi/jim-bowie-wifi-ss-prime/

https://www.rectecgrills.com/RT-590-Pellet-Grill_5

https://grillagrills.com/grills/silverbac-wood-pellet-grill/

Trooper2 and Pudge[OP] like this.
  6. Apr 1, 2020 at 11:07 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Can vouch for the rec-Tec. I came from a thick walled stick burner with silicone & gaskets to help hold heat in the winter. It was work to cook on.
    Really appreciate the set and forget convenience of pellets. Rec-tec holds the temp waaaay better and a tighter window too. That’s where you get better taste, juicy meat etc from.
    It can get hot but it takes a while to get there (think charcoal time). I just use a propane grill for burgers/dogs/brats.

aperezsh and Pudge[OP] like this.
  7. Apr 2, 2020 at 12:41 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    I'd just turn that 20 yr old propane unit into a Wood unit - nothing like Peach (luck finding it) smokiness IMHO.

8. Apr 2, 2020 at 12:43 AM
    realtorblake

realtorblake Tundra Thunda

Member:
    Redneckistan... aka Cypress, TX
    2019 Crewmax Platinum 5" Zone lift Fox 2.5 /OME suspension 12.5x35x18 ProComp's
    I just retired my RecTec 680 and bought a Pitts & Spitts Maverick. Very heavy duty compared to the RecTec, but the RecTec was good to me for 6 years... can't say anything bad about it other than you need to get some fine mesh wire and intall under the shelf where the controller lives. Wasps built a nest under there on mine and shorted out the controller. Going to buy another controller and give it to my son.

I have the new one seasoned, but haven't cooked anything on it yet... hoping that happens this weekend. Wood pellets seem to be as valuable as TP here...lol

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 2, 2020 at 1:24 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Pudge[OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 2, 2020 at 3:04 AM
    mrmachinist

mrmachinist New Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    6112/5100 shocks, 1” lift shackles, Tuff Country UCA, B&W gooseneck hitch, firestone airbags w/ daystar cradles, RB-10 running boards, front receiver hitch, winch wiring front and rear.
    I picked up a Pitt boss around Christmas. Has the sear station and I love it. I literally gave away my 10 year old Weber Genesis on Tuesday. I paid $400 for it on sale at Academy sports and it’s the big one they sell. It isn’t the heaviest duty but I’m sure it will last a while. I’ll get something higher end when it gives up the ghost but I wanted to try out a pellet grill and I’m glad I did.

heats up in 10-15 minutes too.

War Machine and Pudge[OP] like this.
  11. Apr 2, 2020 at 3:52 AM
    johnxmccoy

johnxmccoy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Grove City, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Crew Max

X3 on the Pit Boss.

12. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:12 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
  13. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    X4 on the Pitt Boss, I’m on my third year with mine. Zero issues. Smokes and sears.

14. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Thanks bud. This is definitely an option for me. I could pick up a weber or small propane camp chef for quick stuff and a pellet grill like a camp chef or pit boss for when I wanna smoke or spoil myself

Borgs[QUOTED] and War Machine like this.
  15. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Wow thanks man this is great info. I really like the idea if the camp chef with sear station. One concern is holding temps in the winter here in Connecticut so I'll keep your advice in mind cuz that's a big deal even though I don't grill a ton in the winter, I still grill and smoke year round. Thanks man!

16. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Yeah, this is really how we use ours. The Weber gets used and abused a few times a week, all year long. The smaller Spirit has a hard time getting much above 500 degrees, but that is hot enough for all what we do. My dad has the really expensive top of the line Weber, Genesis maybe?, with the sear station. The sear station is nice, but frankly it burns to hot, and I am not used to it, and mostly overcook meat when I am at their house (I could get used to it though I think). I use the Traeger smoker probably once a month, but as others have said, ambient temperature impacts it pretty dramatically, and it is tough maintaining consistency in the colder, damp temps - and I even have the insulator cover for it. I use it much more in the warmer months.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    20% coupons work for grills at moosejaw.com
    @COMiamiFan you have a CC right? Let's talk!!!
    I may just pull the trigger here. Free shipping too...and they have first responder discounts, unfortunately for me an ER Nurse doesn't qualify for that. Screenshot_20200402-091745_Chrome.jpg

PermaFrostTRD and Boerseun like this.
  18. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:56 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    @Pudge , I own 9 grills (wood/charcoal grills & smokers, propane, electric, pellet). I used to alternate between them. I grill at least 5 times a week and sometimes twice on a Saturday or Sunday. Since I bought my pellet grill/smoker I have been using that about 90% of the time. The propane grill and charcoal grill only about once every other week. The pellet grill is so versatile you can do anything from smoking to grilling to pizza etc. I do whole meals on it - meat, potatoes, veggies etc.
    I have a Z-Grills which is exactly the same thing as a Traeger for about 2/3 of the price. (Somehow it is built by the same company with same materials and were able to just use a different name. Some loophole with the patent or something - I don't remember the details.) Pit Boss is also a good budget option and the Pit Boss actually is better for searing steaks - it has a section where you can open the diffuser plate to get more direct heat.
    It also heats up very quick. I get home at 6:00 in the evening, turn it on, go in the kitchen to get some brats, chicken, veggies etc. and by the time I get back outside to put the meat on it is hot. Dinner ready by 7:00 from start to finish - sometimes less time than that.

upload_2020-4-2_9-50-57.jpg
    upload_2020-4-2_9-51-24.jpg
    upload_2020-4-2_9-52-3.jpg
    upload_2020-4-2_9-53-12.jpg

aperezsh likes this.
  19. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    That's a good option also.

20. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    A used Ceramic or end of season closeout from Lowe's/HD/Costco should put you around that price point....and do everything you need and more.

It can heat up a chimney of charcoal in about the same time it takes to heat up a NG.

Sell your Weber for parts and you may be able to extend your budget for a Ceramic to $500-600 and you will definitely be able to get a PitBos, Vision or Louisiana Grills on sale. I think BroilKing makes a Keg which is Steel but they may be pricier

If I could only have one BBQ/grill/smoker in my yard, it would be a Ceramic Kamado type cooler.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Pudge[OP] likes this.
  21. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    I've been able to get really good results with steaks and other foods that need a sear on my Louisiana Grills pellet smoker. I can't speak for all of the other pellet smokers on the market but Green Mountain and Trager's firebox designs don't seem to work quite as well to crank up the heat, though theirs have some benefits over the LG setup in other ways. My model also has a slide down cover over the firebox so you can get direct flame if you want it.

22. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    shakezoola

shakezoola Not a new member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport MGM
    N-Fab MRDS Bfront Bumper w/ Rigid Industries Radiance PODS and Curved LED Light Bar TRD Skid plate Victory 4x4 Roof rack and hood mounts with Rigid industries Midnight PODS Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309TND Alpine PDR-V75 5-Channel amp powering 4x Image Dynamics component speakers Alpine S-A60M powering 1x 12" sub Fortin Remote Start with MyCar App Switch Pros SP-9100 Pop-and-Lock tailgate lock vLeds front turn signals w/switchback Center Console Safe Pedal Commander Diamond Back HD bed cover Swing Cases Driver/Passenger Katzkin Leather seats w/ heated front seats Bilstein B8 5100's Front and rear AMP Research PowerSteps Toyota TSS wheels w/ DuraTracs Toyota bed mat Bed light (LEDs) Blacked out badges Sport Antenna
    I just bought a Camp Chef Woodwind with the sear box a few weeks ago. It's the latest version with the wireless control box. So far, it has worked great. There is some startup time, but it usually takes less time than expected. Cleanup is simple and easy.

I had pretty much talked myself into getting a Yoder YS640s, but I couldn't fins any place within a 3.5 hour drive that had one in stock, and ordering one had a lead time of 5-6 weeks.

Wanting something sooner than later, I checked around and was able to get the Camp Chef Woodwind and sear box for under $500 (thanks to a buddy of mine for the hookup).
    With a 3-year warranty, I figured I'd get plenty of use out of it and if it's not working out by that time, then I'll get the Yoder.

Boerseun and Pudge[OP] like this.
  23. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Any chance he can ship via his hookup. If i can get that woodwind with sear for that price, I would send you and him some CASH!!! Hook me up brother!!! PM me if you want

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  24. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    shakezoola

shakezoola Not a new member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport MGM
    N-Fab MRDS Bfront Bumper w/ Rigid Industries Radiance PODS and Curved LED Light Bar TRD Skid plate Victory 4x4 Roof rack and hood mounts with Rigid industries Midnight PODS Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309TND Alpine PDR-V75 5-Channel amp powering 4x Image Dynamics component speakers Alpine S-A60M powering 1x 12" sub Fortin Remote Start with MyCar App Switch Pros SP-9100 Pop-and-Lock tailgate lock vLeds front turn signals w/switchback Center Console Safe Pedal Commander Diamond Back HD bed cover Swing Cases Driver/Passenger Katzkin Leather seats w/ heated front seats Bilstein B8 5100's Front and rear AMP Research PowerSteps Toyota TSS wheels w/ DuraTracs Toyota bed mat Bed light (LEDs) Blacked out badges Sport Antenna
    I doubt it. He was already doing me a huge favor. Also, it's an outlet store and they don't get many of them. I got the last one that was still in the box.

25. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    You're a lucky man!!!

26. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Cabelas brand, but yes, made by Camp Chef.

27. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    Njmike13

Njmike13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hunterdon county, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO Lunar Rock
    Just ordered 2 of these. I love cooking with wood. I have a standard propane grill for quick cooks so this will be for weekends when I have more time.

cc5ca0f947d9b94ab9b0d7f3a4884de7.jpg

28. Apr 2, 2020 at 8:11 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    What version you got homie? I got cabelas a few miles away

29. Apr 2, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
  30. Apr 2, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top