1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2022 Tundra review

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by jimfish98, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Dec 25, 2021 at 5:13 AM
    jimfish98

jimfish98 [OP] Shorty

Member:
    There is less noise with the Tundra than the Sequoia for sure. Hitting high speeds the SUV would get a whistle sound around the doors, nothing with the Tundra yet. The JBL likely helps as well as it is a surround sound system which may drown out the general road noise better. The lack of wind noise however is just a design improvement as no amount of radio could drown it out on the SUV.

2. Dec 25, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    3F7FF495-CE9B-453A-A5EA-38AF69C079B8.jpg Very nice truck! I am waiting on the Hybrid Capstone to see if it comes in a 6’5” bed. Got on a local dealers list. It’s gonna be a long wait to learn more about the Capstone.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  3. Dec 25, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Another new truck? Adding to the fleet or new tow rig for the Airsteam?

Patriot[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 25, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    A new tow vehicle for the Oliver legacy elite ll. Sent you a pm.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:00 AM
    Demar002

Demar002 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra
    I am attempting to see the capstone trim option. ? Can't find it on Toyota.com. Where is that coming from please

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  6. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    A bunch of rumors over the past 6 months. Also there has been some photos of it in the wild.

Where there is smoke there is fire..... Nothing official from Toyota but it is coming.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  7. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Oops. Thought you had an Airsteam. :rofl:

Patriot[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    OppoMojo

OppoMojo New Member

Member:
    Can't compare to a Sequoia but compared to my 2011 Tundra it's not good. Sounds like the window is open a crack from both the driver and passenger seat. I have yet to investigate but it sounds quite loud and annoying with no music playing. Interested if other owners have this condition.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    2020cementsr5[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    2020cementsr5

2020cementsr5 New Member

Member:
    @Patriot I’m excited to see what the Capstone is too. Would love a thread to guess what it might have that the 1794/Pro doesn’t. Massage seats? Light bar from Pro? Diamond Stitched leather? What else can they even add?

10. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    2020cementsr5

2020cementsr5 New Member

Member:
    That’s quite a different take than I’ve seen from others - would be curious to hear more as well - really looking forward to a quiet Toyota one day and thought this might be it

11. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    Demar002

Demar002 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra
    Well let me tell you what should happen with the capstone. It should come standard with running boards, air suspension system. Tow books, keyless entry system, floor mats and anything else that is not standard on the 1794. I can't wait to get my 1794 but damn - I though I would at least have running boards

2020cementsr5 likes this.
  12. Dec 25, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Congrats on your new Truck!
    Thanks for the reviews and experiences you're having with it. Good luck!

13. Dec 25, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    Suprafantx

Suprafantx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 White Tundra TSS
    Thanks for sharing the review! I have been driving a Lexus Hybrid for years and I like Hybrid vehicles a lot so I will wait for the 2022 Hybrid. I am glad the new Tundra has less noise than the Sequoia. Nice truck! Please post if there are things you like or dislike about your new truck.

14. Dec 25, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    No worries Brother!

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 28, 2021 at 8:30 PM
    jimfish98

jimfish98 [OP] Shorty

Member:
    Few more days in and loving the truck more and more. The kids keep calling the back seat huge. The number of cup holders for them is great and access to the USB for their phones is becoming a big plus. My wife and teen daughter refer to the truck as "Boujie" for all of the extras. Today I added running boards, a tri fold cover, and the rubber bed mat. Went ahead and also cut a 1 by 8 to length to fit in the deck side slots to partition part of the bed off for when I am loading in groceries. When I was bringing the parts home from the dealership, part of my rear view was obstructed by the boxes. Flipped the switch on the rear view to the camera view and had a perfect view. Driving the truck is nice and I am looking for reasons these days to get out of the house and go for a spin.

16. Jan 1, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    chrisptenders

chrisptenders New Member

Member:
    What dealer did you buy it from? Was there a huge mark up?

ryanwgregg likes this.
  17. Jan 1, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    bigjuice

bigjuice Researching and collecting parts…

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    @ OP…Great review/truck…thanks for confirming and commenting on some of the things I was wondering about.

Regarding Capstone: There is a video with a screenshot floating around….posting it below for those who may not have seen it (~:50 time stamp will get you there)

https://youtu.be/3EPiEyrRbtU

18. Jan 1, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    Rockgate

Rockgate New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 CMLB TRD OR Prem. 4X4 and 2002 RCLBV65Spd

I test drove a Crewmax 2wd TRD Sport the other day. The cabin is definitely quieter than my 2019 but I did hear a little air noise. I thought the window was open but wasn't. I'm not sure if it was coming from the mirror or top corner of the door. This was with the radio off too. Nice truck. Looking forward to getting one myself.

Totherion and OppoMojo like this.
  19. Jan 1, 2022 at 12:39 PM
    jimfish98

jimfish98 [OP] Shorty

Member:
    My dealership is charging a mark up, I leveraged relationship and got it removed. Asked me not to tell so I won't say who out of respect on waiving 10k for me. Wait a little longer and they will be dropping it once inventory is coming in at a good flow on the truck. Right now they are pre-selling 100% of them. They get to the lot, get looked over, and are out the door that day or the next.

JLS in WA likes this.
  20. Jan 10, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    GCanuck

GCanuck Member since 2020

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    BC,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC MGM TRD Sport
    TRD Swaybars. Line-X bed liner. Toyota Tri-fold Tonneau. N-fab side bars. TRD cold air. AMP bed extender. Rough Country Level kit. BFG A/T K02. RCI Skids. OEM Tow mirrors. TRD exhaust
    I'm sorry, but I just don't like the look of the 2022 grill. I think it's a feable attempt look like the domestic trucks. Then there's the V6 turbo thing. Anyone have trouble with the turbo boost kicking in mid turn?
    Sorry in advance.:crapstorm:

21. Jan 10, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    nuclear

nuclear New Member

Member:
    You aren't in The Fast & The Furious with a 900hp Supra, I wouldn't worry about some crazy turbo kick causing you to skid off the road.

SWB Tundra, MaxMB, Suprafantx and 4 others like this.
  22. Jan 16, 2022 at 9:15 PM
    jimfish98

jimfish98 [OP] Shorty

Member:
    I ignored this thread for a little bit and it's funny how so many folks come to this thread to post comments about what they don't like under my review. Of course it's one of a dozen places they post just to make sure someone sees their opinion over and over again. I will expect another comment or two on the grill issue alone by the next time I check in on this thread. These comments are better in person though as some guy in a V8 Tundra gave a goofy smirk at a red light and he was inching up to the line for the light to change to green to prove his point. I opted to hit it when the light changed and left him in the dust.

Just about a month in and done driving it for a month or so as surgery is keeping me out of the truck. Still finding excuses to drive it more often. My son loves the AC seats up front, my daughter loves them heated. Normal driving I still don't get the wind noise, but did get it today a little. That being said, we were also getting 45mph gusts here. When things calmed down later in the day, no noise. I am not sure if there is a build difference or people nit picking things. I am sure someone will interject with an opinion. I've been switching the truck to the 306 camera for parking a lot and it comes in handy to get a solid visual of the space and how well within the lines you are. The way some folks park these days, its nice to have a better eye on things. Got to work a little and took it out to a few nurseries around the city and had to hit up gravel lots, sand lots, etc and it handled well regardless of the surface. Loaded up a ton of plants and the tailgate height was great. The remote gate release is nice so its down the second I pull up to the truck with the cart. I had gotten the Toyota tri-fold cover after purchase and installed it and so far water tight. Heavy rains around here and not a drop to be seen so the unit sits nice.

The one thing that gets me is the straps for the back seat to move the back down to access the storage behind it. When all of the windows are down and the back window is down, it just starts flapping in the wind and is annoying. I may have to find a way to push it down or tuck it in a bit.

23. Feb 9, 2022 at 7:04 AM
    jimfish98

jimfish98 [OP] Shorty

Member:
    Thankfully I was not out of commission for long with the surgery as recovery went well. Been able to enjoy the truck. The only issue that has come up is that whistle noise at high speeds but I think I know the reason for it at least. In the last two weeks we have been as low as 28 degrees and as high as 87 degrees. The colder it is, the more noise. I think the rubber seal on the window gets more stiff in cold temps creating the issue. As weather warmed up, the noise dropped significantly and almost to no noise again once we passed about 70 degrees unless there was some good cross wind driving at high speeds. Just a thought that it may be the material and temps and those experiencing it may see it drop off come summer.

In the mean time I continue to enjoy the truck. Getting a number of questions from folks seeing me in parking lots and such. This last weekend I loaded it up with a bunch of mulch, dirt, and landscaping stuff to haul to the dump. No change in how it drove with the bed full of material. FL is pretty flat but the landfill has some decent inclines for dump drop off and again the truck didn't hesitate or drive different making its way up the pile. Will be putting it to more good use soon as we work to get a lot done around the house.

24. Feb 9, 2022 at 7:11 AM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    Glad you are doing well post-op. My 2022 has no whistle at all. I'd let the dealer take a look.

25. Feb 9, 2022 at 7:18 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    I mean, I don't think anyone doubts it's faster than the 2.5 Gen Tundra....but with that said, when the time comes for me to purchase a new truck, 0-60 is pretty far down on the list for me.

Also - glad to hear you're doing well post-op! :)

Terndrerrr, borntostun and Mattedfred like this.
  26. Feb 9, 2022 at 8:09 AM
    BikeAR

BikeAR New Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '22 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Thank you for the original review and follow-ups! Have an identical 4x4 coming in some day. Actual photos were really appreciated.

Wonder if the whistling issue just needs the window bars bent in slightly. Had that issue with a '96 F-150. Was scary, but dealer mechanic just rolled down the window, grabbed the top of the open door, braced a knee and pulled like heck. Problem was solved. Not suggesting you try this! If you are curious, try pulling the top of the door in with fingertips while driving and see if the noise lessens. That was all it took on the F-150 prior to "repair".

27. Feb 9, 2022 at 8:24 AM
    November Sun

November Sun New Member

Member:
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crew Max
    Pro Comp 7" Stage 1 Lift, 20" Fuel Wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, King 2.5's, Custom Alcan Leafs, Coachbuilder Steering Kit, CBI Baja Front Bumper, NSV Light Bar, TRD Pro Intake, Southeast States Wireless Phone Charger Coachbuilder Plus 3 Shackles, Wheeler's Bumpstops, BAM 8" Exhaust, BAM Bomb Tip, Headlight Revolution LEDs everywhere, Warn EVO 12K Winch, Diode Dynamics SAE Fogs and Combo Light Bar
    Cool Box from the Landcruiser?

damnfingers likes this.
  28. Feb 13, 2022 at 9:49 AM
    daftdesigner

daftdesigner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHARLES
    Vehicle:
    2022 TUNDRA SR5 CREW 4X4
    Thank you for this review... very helpful and honest. I am approaching 2200 miles on my sr5. Had a few trifle issues that self corrected quickly, and one requiring dealer intervention - wind noise on driver side. So far so good. The truck is smooth, fast, loving the size and handling. Have had a mess of 4runners, a 2013 LC and a Silverado prior to this and this is in an altogether diffferent league.

MASA, RavingOx and Mattedfred like this.
  29. Feb 15, 2022 at 8:02 AM
    MASA

MASA Ancient Beginner

Member:
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    Looking for my 1st Truck
    Sorry if I missed something but I don't understand the OP's comment "Not sure how much is engine sound vs speaker sound".
    Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

30. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:07 AM
    trazerr

trazerr New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 Toyota Tundra Platinum LR
    Fake v8 engine noise is pumped in through the speakers like Ford does with their turbo F150's.

MASA[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top