1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mgm16trdpro build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by mgm16trdpro, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:33 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    That would be the cover for me in a heartbeat, but I needed a sliding Tracrac, and full open tonneau, so I went with the X2 revolver. It fits the bill for how I use the truck, can't win em' all.

2. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro [OP] Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Nice, talk to Tony, tell him I referred you and said he will take care of you. Remind him he sent me some extra small pieces for me to cut myself for 3rd. It's not an expensive mod but it makes our tails and 3rd able to be viewed without throwing up in mouth. Tony is def a good guy there.

3. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:39 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Tnx buddy, I appreciate the kind words. Yeah I def spent more than a few to customize, but I also like to keep it what it is, just make it better without going over the top. Least I think and have tried to make it bad ass without making it look like too much, gaudy, ect. Better but in good taste is the motto, keep it a Tundra.

jmdaniel likes this.
  4. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    darkknight2014

darkknight2014 Mods mods and more mods!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    New york
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra sr5
    20" Cooper STT Pros on md rims, quadfire lights, pro grille, leather interior, navi, retrofitted headlights, blacked out chrome, TRD sway bar, hypertech interceptor, k&n air intake, Banks exhaust
    Ill call then, in the am

5. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I hear ya, that's why there's so many options, 1 size shoe don't fit all. Very true lot of options and you always got to go with the thing that best suits your needs. Makes no sense to do it otherwise. The cover u got I've heard good things and looked at it when I was shopping and researching.

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Just letting others know, my cover can very easily be removed by 1 person within 5 minutes. All I do is tilt it back and slide it to side where both sides affix to middle section. That's the only part that would take a couple extra minutes to remove bc that's only part that is attatched to bed. If u don't mind that 1 middle piece there, the front and rear sections fold and slide in less than 5 min, easier w/ 2 but easy enough by 1 person.

Just letting others know if interested.

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    darkknight2014

darkknight2014 Mods mods and more mods!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    New york
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra sr5
    20" Cooper STT Pros on md rims, quadfire lights, pro grille, leather interior, navi, retrofitted headlights, blacked out chrome, TRD sway bar, hypertech interceptor, k&n air intake, Banks exhaust
    Do they have that for a dc?

8. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Call and or email, he should get back to u. Either way, he's a good guy and very easy to do biz with. Ur not the 1st I referred to him and I'm sure won't be the last. Glad I can help ya. It's a nice inexpensive mod. If u need any help or advice applying it, just ask. I'll try to help and best describe how I did it. The 3rd was piece of cake, the tails u gotta take ur time and patience. I've never done before so if I was able I'm sure u can too.

9. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yes sir they do. HD and SE version, 5.5 and 6.5 lengths. For anyone wanting the atv package on HD cover, the extra length on a DC gives you the option to load 2 side by side front to rear, or 1 rear loaded, even a UTV can be rear loaded. It's pretty crazy what they can do. They right out of PA. Take a look on their site of all the options. They have tons of possibilities depending on what u need. Atvs, contractors and tools, ect..... As always feel free to reach out with any questions.

10. Jan 24, 2018 at 9:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Dap tune update,

After around 5 full tanks of 93 fuel, yesterday I switched back to 87 octane. Although I think I feel a very slight difference in the better fuel with the truck feeling slightly smoother and possibly having a slight advantage in responsiveness, I don't feel it's that big of difference vs 87. I never really ran premium fuel before the tune except for the tank right before getting, unless things change for the worse going forward I think I will stick with 87 and treat the truck with some 93 every couple months just for it's cleaning properties.

I can't really tell that it makes that much difference to justify the cost. The truck runs great on the tune with 87, just as it did on 93 or 91.

Just as others have claimed, the truck has responded very well to the tune. It no longer searches for gears. The throttle is much smoother, I no longer need to punch it to move, with a slow steady light push on the gas peddle the truck smoothly accelerates quickly. I notice a slight increase in horsepower in the lower gears. I can spin in 1st and 2nd. However the biggest gains are in the higher passing gears. Around 50 mph on the highway when I push the peddle, the truck really gets it now. It seems i don't have to push as hard the peddle to get the same or better acceleration without the tune. This is achieved without the truck feeling jumpy like it does in tow/haul. That button now is almost scary how much power there is w/out tm at wot.

As far as mpg, I'm not sure. The conditions have really changed, much colder, using remote start, ect. I don't track fuel outside of gauges. On the gauge, it's been the same or better than before the tune, despite pushing it more and driving a bit more aggressive. That plus the condition change and remote start usage leads me to assume it's got a slight increase in mpg. On the days where I babied it I was getting 1-2 mgs better than before. However, the tune is just too fun for me to drive much like that. The smiles per gallon are up for sure. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm assuming the mpg is slightly better, at the very least, it for sure has not got any worse.

Sound from the truck I'd say there is no difference. Sounds the same, pretty quiet when not on it, and the same deep thraspy growl when punching it.

All in all, I'd recommend the tune and so far have only had and noticed positive results from it. I'll never dyno it but from my seat in the add I can tell for sure the driving experience is better. The truck just feels like it has a little more power without nearly trying as hard. The claims are around 30 more hp and I can see that being valid. Take out the extra hp and I'd still get the tune, the trucks power is just so much more smooth and predictable in the peddle. It is NOT jumpy at all, actually much more smooth. The truck shifts the lower gears faster and with fixed shifts there is no more searching which I love. Basically, all the claims on the site, from the owner, and from his customers who have it, I can verify as being true. No more, no less, all the good things that the tune claims it DOES do. I feel it was money well spent to this point.

Halfjap, jmdaniel, 71_340 and 3 others like this.
  11. Jan 25, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    94slowbra

94slowbra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    new orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD pro
    thanks for the follow up review, especially on 87. im very much leaning towards getting mine tuned but i want to run 87. this is helping me push closer

mgm16trdpro[OP] likes this.
  12. Jan 25, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    No worries John, glad I can help. Just fyi there's plenty of guys running 87 with the tune. I personally don't feel there's a huge difference, but that's my truck. I know there's others out there like me, then there's also guys out there claiming the higher grades make a big difference in how their trucks run. I know for fact, it's perfectly fine to run 87 and plenty guys do. It's just suggested to run premium if you want to experience the full effect of the tune. I kinda feel like my truck might be slightly smoother on premium, but it's nowhere near a night and day difference, if anything it's barely noticeable.

13. Jan 25, 2018 at 3:55 PM
    Big Green Thing

Big Green Thing My cause is to have no cause.

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    '17 Limited White 4x4
    DAP Tune. 1.5" level on front. Revolver X2 Roll Back. Firestone 2445 air bags. TRD sway bar.
    What he said! Sums it up perfectly for me.

14. Jan 25, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Looking damn good!

15. Jan 25, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx Adam, appreciate it.

16. Jan 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    dradd

dradd Sometimes there is just us

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    City of Champyinz
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Pro
    pending...
    Nice truck sir

17. Jan 26, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Thank you Dan.

dradd[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 27, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    scout495

scout495 New Member

Member:
    I did the seat covers Mike. Wet Okole, heated, OEM rear pockets, full piping. Can’t be happier. I didn’t want to cover up the original seat but I started to notice that the drivers seat was getting lightly faded and worn with creases developing. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time so I wanted to protect them. The heat function on both seats is amazing and at $68 dollars a steal on a needed option that Toyota doesn’t offer. Let me know what you think. Thx. 2BEB4BF2-63EC-491A-993D-8E40F9833DED.jpg

escuzi_me likes this.
  19. Jan 27, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Poll vote question:^

I came up with the idea the other day and want a little feedback from the guys on what u think. In the spirit of removing every bit of chrome on my very near chrome less truck, I plan to 1 day do my dual pipes in black over the chrome. Would love to do in a heat resistant bed liner look if could.

That led me to this. The chrome rivets in my fender
    flares I'm thinking of taking a small brush to them painting them black. They do kinda go with the rivets on my bed cover see pic.
    20170901_152057.jpg

So what do you guys think? Should I paint the chrome rivets black or just leave them alone to match bed cover? I can also paint both.

Paint fender rivets
    Paint all rivets
    Leave as is

Cast your vote now, any help is appreciated.

20. Jan 27, 2018 at 10:50 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Damn, them things look fn great. I really really like them. As I stated to you earlier, I feel bad covering and don't really want to cover, what I think is a good looking seat. But when you put the covers on I mentioned they really do look great. Plus you get some heat out of it. I too, plan to keep this paid off truck forever. I get filthy at work so I should probably do the same.

How's the fit, please shoot me over as many pics as you can. Please breakdown the pricing if u don't mind. I'm guessing you did rear too? These are probably one of the nicest seat covers I've ever seen. I'd be curious to consider this cost vs keeping and eventually destroying my current seats then replacing with some custom katzskin. Thanks in advance for pics and info. I love them and think you made a great choice. They might even look nicer than the original seats, which is not common for a cover. Great job man. I'm looking forward to see more and get your opinion on fit and pricing.

21. Jan 28, 2018 at 5:02 AM
    scout495

scout495 New Member

Member:
    Mike, as you know it’s raining today here in Jersey so the pics will have to wait but let me just say I am thoroughly impressed with these covers. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing but the fit is top notch. No bunch ups, difficulty installing, creases or extra material. They truly are made specifically for the tundra. They are a thick, cushiony and comfortable cover. Waterproof neoprene makes the hard stock seat actually a enjoyable to sit on. It took me about two hours to install and secure the heat wires properly. The covers have two heat settings high and low and for $68 dollars are a steal. The covers are not cheap but high quality, functional and look amazing. I started a thread in the pro forum about them and a lot of members are chiming in and saying they have had them for years and they still look amazing. I have attached the invoice for my covers below. I opted for TRD pro graphic, heat, OEM rear pockets and full charcoal piping. The set also comes with a console cover which is not pictured yet. Also I only did the fronts for now because I wanted to see the quality before I went all in. Well I am going all in and doing the rear too. 67A6A3F0-02FB-46B2-9211-D34629F21F51.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  22. Jan 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    No worries on the pics, take your time. When you do get around to it I'm definitely interested. So just quick math it looks like the total for front is a little more than $400? Let me know total, front and rear, please. It de definitely something I'm interested in and should be with my job lol. Great job on them, they look great.

23. Jan 28, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I say leave it buddie. A little bling doesn’t hurt.

24. Jan 28, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    There is no way to make paint stick to those rivets brushing it on. You would be frustrated, not saying they can’t be painted, just a lot of work done right. Are the flares actual faux bolts? If so replacing with black anodized would be the way to go.

25. Jan 28, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I'm not sure the type of bolts in the flares, I only know they are just decorative, if u want to call them that. The flares actually bolt on from inside the wheel wells. I have heard that a place sells the bolts in black to replace. Maybe that would be better way to go if I replace them.

26. Jan 28, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I heard Lund automotive sells them?

27. Jan 29, 2018 at 5:42 AM
    scout495

scout495 New Member

Member:
    I would def be interested in the black bolts if you do find them. Thx Mike.

28. Jan 29, 2018 at 5:55 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Hey my friend. I've found these, I just can't comment on them. I don't know the quality, let alone if they would work. I just started looking though. Perhaps someone can chime in who has used these? That would be great.

Lund® 607805 - Replacement Black Bolts for Lund RX-Rivet Style Fender Flares
    0 reviews / Item # mpn1118798469 View Similar Products
    more details on - https://www.carid.com/lund/replacem...-rx-rivet-style-fender-flares-mpn-607805.html

29. Jan 29, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Maybe for around 20 bucks it might be worth the chance?

30. Jan 29, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20180127_153718.jpg 20180127_153702.jpg 20180127_153607.jpg 20180127_153542.jpg
    I must say there's no doubt, I love this truck. I can't help myself snapping photos.

Products Discussed in

To Top