1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mgm16trdpro build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by mgm16trdpro, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Dec 11, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro [OP] Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Smittybilt_Premium_Winch_Accessory_Bag_2725_01.jpg 194551.jpg 167679.jpg
    Besides the bumper, bar, and winch, I decided to purchase these goodies to go with it all.

Black Wolf and dcsleeper408 like this.
  2. Dec 11, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Tell u what buddy, that rear bumper in linex to match everything else in linex I already have got me thinking. U bad influence u.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Dec 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax

Feel I've had enough time to review. I put headlight revolution gtr led kit for the Tundra in my pro lights and paired them with Baja designs squadron sports in amber wide corner and fog pocket kit. Haven't been flashed as of yet and couldn't be happier with this combo. I drive around with both on at night and use the s8 on a separate switch for highbeams. Where before I had to drive with finger on switch going back n forth to see, I can now see great without the s8. For $183 the low beam light is insane. Not that impressed with the highs, they shine further but don't seem as bright as lows. For me to be able to use all 3 at same time it's literally like driving in daylight.

Lows only
    20171213_192324.jpg

Lows plus fogs
    20171213_192330.jpg

Lows,fogs, and s8
    20171213_192339.jpg

4. Dec 14, 2017 at 8:26 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Lows
    20171213_192128.jpg

Lows n fogs
    20171213_192124.jpg

Lows + fogs + s8
    20171213_192134.jpg

Baja Designs, Black Wolf and aperezsh like this.
  5. Dec 14, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Lows
    20171213_191956.jpg

Lows n fogs
    20171213_192003.jpg

Lows fogs n s8
    20171213_192011.jpg

Baja Designs and aperezsh like this.
  6. Dec 14, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Lows
    20171213_191806.jpg

Lows n fogs
    20171213_191812.jpg

Lows, fogs, s8
    20171213_191824.jpg

7. Dec 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    94slowbra

94slowbra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    new orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD pro
    thanks for the comparison pics. you right for $183 it doesnt look like you can beat the output. i like the look of the factory PRO housing but hate the light. ive been looking at all options (18 led, led retrofit, hid retrofit ect...) now this just makes my decision harder.
    ive also been looking hard at fogs (18 led, morimoto, rigid dot, BD sports) to compliment whatever headlights i go with. i like the look, color and performance of the BD sports but am concerned about the oncoming traffic. i use my fogs everytime my headlights are on so i need them to be ok for street use. judging by your pics it looks like they may be ok?
    great job putting together a great light combo. that s8 is just insane!

mgm16trdpro[OP] and dcsleeper408 like this.
  8. Dec 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx John. I was in exact same boat as you. Like the look of pro housing but when I turned off s8 I couldn't see shit. Now I can see great with just the gtr leds. Still, I run the BD sports all the time with the headlights and they never come off. The only thing I do is hit the switch to turn on n off s8 when appropriate. Besides that the heads n fogs are always on. I absolutely love this combo and for the price I don't think it could possibly be better. The gtr/BD fogs are a perfect compliment to each other. I have yet to be flashed. Highly recommend and glad I went this route after considering all the same options you mentioned. Any questions feel free to reach out.

9. Dec 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM
    94slowbra

94slowbra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    new orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD pro
    well this might be the way to go then, especially for the $$$

mgm16trdpro[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Definitely, we're having a thread battle right now. Keeping up with eachother on 3 fronts lol. This, pm, and wet okole. I think u will love the lights. Pair with BD amber wide corner sports and u can run all the time with serious output and without blinding others from what friends I've driven by told me.

Black Wolf likes this.
  11. Dec 17, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    scout495

scout495 New Member

Member:
    That was my intention Mike. I like spending your money. lol

12. Dec 17, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Since u like spending it so much how bout u do 1 better and buy it for me this time. I don't care if u say it's for xmas or my birthday couple days later after Xmas. Heck u can even do like my parents when I was little and pull the ol this is for xmas and ur birthday. Lol

Black Wolf likes this.
  13. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:07 AM
    scout495

scout495 New Member

Member:
    Haha, I think we are even, because of you I have $400 dollars worth of lockable shackles on the way for Xmas. 330CC182-3EF9-4739-AF16-F25EB1CC7D33.jpg

Black Wolf and mgm16trdpro[OP] like this.
  14. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:12 AM
    scout495

scout495 New Member

Member:
    Not to hijack your build thread but I know it generates a lot of eyes. I figured rather than PM you I would ask here for the benefit of everyone. Have you found any quality TRD PRO embossed seat covers? I am one of the Tundras that have some green imperfections in the plastic on the door and seat base. (Toyota refuses to do anything about it) I just noticed a half inch scratch in my seat and low and behold the scratch is starting to turn green in the middle. I need covers bad but don’t want to lose the TRD Pro badging. Any suggestions?

15. Dec 18, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah man those are killer. They're going to look great when u get them on. Good thing they come with locks bc I can see everyone trying to steal them as good as they look. Hey merry Xmas, u must have been a good boy to get those lol

16. Dec 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    No worries on jacking thread. That's what it's here for, to help people. No I haven't seen anything like the covers you speak of, as of yet. But in fairness, I have yet to look. I didn't even know anything about the green imperfections and damn u, now I'm going to be looking all over for them Lol.

I thought about covers since I get filthy at work but love the look of the seats and would feel bad covering. Furthest I've gone is to bring a towel under the seats in back to lay over seats when it gets crazy dirty at my job. 1 of the nicer covers I've come across a member here is selling now the wet okale heated cover in black and trimmed in red. But again, I have yet to really look as of

17. Dec 18, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    WatTundra

WatTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    FTW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra
    Stock as a rock minus tint
    Hey Mike thanks for the light comparison. I've been on the fence with Retros and 18s myself but I think you have convinced me to just get the bulbs. I didn't want to have to buy either a harness or extra set of headlights to be happy with light output on top of spending ~$1,000. Can you send me a link to which one you exactly got?

18. Dec 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx Kenny, hope you enjoy them as I do. Here are the ones I got. Hope this helps.

https://headlightrevolution.com/hea...rades/gtr-lighting-gen-3-led-headlight-bulbs/

19. Dec 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    On their site they have a place where you can pick for a tundra year 14-17. Then once your there it's the ultra series. Good luck buddy glad to be able to help.

20. Jan 6, 2018 at 7:39 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Dap tune update

I didn't want to review before I had a chance to really experience the full effect of it. But here I am, over a thousand miles later. Let me start by saying this, if you are looking for soley huge gains this is not for you. Buy a supercharger. However, if you are looking for a little extra hp, like 25-35 or so, for a reasonable cost for that horsepower plus bunch of other benefits then this could be for you.

I've done a ton of research and heard quite a bit of negatives on the bully dog. Everything from codes, to issues running it, to it not being safe for the truck. Now I'm not saying the dap tune is completely safe and don't know of anyone putting hundreds of thousands of miles with it. But i have heard of people almost putting 100k on it and most people have nothing but great things to say about it.

Don't ask me for dyno numbers bc my truck will probably never see it on 1. However, I can assure you that by my ass in the seat testing there's definitely a difference in power. Most noticeable in that higher gear 50-60 mph mark. When I get on it to pass someone my truck blows by them and before I can look down I'm almost doing 100 mph.

I didn't get the tune for huge hp increase, otherwise I'd be wasting money. Ever since I put on bigger much heavier tires plus added a bunch of weight in mods, especially the warn platinum zeon winch in my SSO front bumper I noticed the truck searching more for gears and feeling a bit sluggish when compared to stock. I did get the tune for the following reasons and can say the tune has cured all that and then some. I no longer have a governor, tm (torque management) has been deleted, fixed shift points so the truck shifts way better, no more searching it always seems to be in the right gear now plus I didn't want to re gear to 4.88s, now I don't feel the need, a small but noticeable hp increase (for the price I don't think it's bad for those gains, try spending less to get those gains, u won't find it), and a couple other reasons which you can find on his site.

You can go to his site daptuning.com, his name is Darren and goes by Shrek Forrester on Facebook. He's def a great guy and stands by his product. He's very busy but I've always been able to get in contact within a hr or 2 of IM. There you can read the specifics of what the tune does. Some claim better mpg and I'm pretty sure I probably could get 1mpg or so better if I drove it conservative when compared to the before. However, with the tune is just too much fun to do that so I have to admit I'm getting just about the same, maybe even slightly less, however I'm driving it more aggressive than before and to say my mpg went down wouldn't be a fair comparison. Since I'm getting about the same mpg, but pushing it more, I'm guessing my mpg would be even less without the tune if I were to drive the way I am now with it. I didn't get the tune for mpg just like I didn't get my truck for it either. I can definitively say the smiles per gallon are way up with the tune. If I did drive it conservatively I can see how it's definitely possible to get a 1-2 mpg increase. If you thought tow haul was fun before, I can assure u with the tune that's no longer a tow haul but a haul ass button. It almost scary now the power with that button lol.

All in all I'm happy with the tune and think the money was well spent. As long as your reasonable going in and realize your not buying a $7k supercharger, I don't see how someone could regret the money spent on this tune. Even take away the hp gains, just all the other benefits of the tune make it worth it imo. Now I don't feel the need to spend money doing the gears, the tune solved that. Don't believe me, just take a look on the DAP tuning fb or tundra crew fb page, there's plenty of positive feedback besides mine here.

Here's what you get besides the thrills driving in the package.
    20171130_202749.jpg 20171130_202117.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  21. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Might as well keep the roll going. With this post I can say I'm officially all caught up to date in mods. Least I think I am. Besides being, you down with D. A. P. Yeah u know me. Naughty by nature reference there gotta represent Jersey lol. Wifey ordered me a set of 20 color lugs for my bday. I know big spender right, 20 bucks. I've bought her a Camry on no special occasion years ago and I get $20 lug caps, how's that work?

Anyway, here's 21-23 mm lug caps from Color Lugs.

Before
    20170920_164807.jpg
    During
    20180106_163800.jpg
    After
    20180106_171322.jpg 20180106_164128.jpg 20180106_164117.jpg

Gotta say I love them. I tried a while back replacing the factory chrome lugs with black ones, however, due to the size of the head of lug being a normal size it was not big enough to hide the chrome washer between the wheel and lug. I stopped after replacing the 1st one. Since the color lug cap actually goes over top of the factory lug it's got a pretty decent cover space to it that allows it to not only cover the whole chrome lug, but it pushes all the way back to the washer and does a pretty damn good job of making that unnoticeable at all. Maybe 1 day my OCD will kick in and it will bother me, but as of today I'm very happy with them and dont think the chrome washer will bother me down the road. If it does I'll paint them when I end up painting the calipers, but for now I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue.

22. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:38 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20171203_010744.jpg And it's official, AFE drop in filter and DAP tuning stickers have been added to the mod box.

23. Jan 7, 2018 at 12:00 AM
    darkknight2014

darkknight2014 Mods mods and more mods!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    New york
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra sr5
    20" Cooper STT Pros on md rims, quadfire lights, pro grille, leather interior, navi, retrofitted headlights, blacked out chrome, TRD sway bar, hypertech interceptor, k&n air intake, Banks exhaust
    Would the swing box still work with the plastic bed cover?

24. Jan 7, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I would think the swing box would work with just about any bed cover. Reason I say that is because it sits far enough below the rails. Between my Diamondback and swing case there's probably a good 6 inches between. The only way I can see a cover interfering is if parts of it come down more than the tops of the rails, even then it would have to come down more than a inch or two.

25. Jan 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Matter of fact, I think the whole design around these were so they can make use of the dead space between wheel wells and tail, and be able to be accessed by swinging back under any cover without the cover needing to be removed. You can probably call the co just to confirm before purchase but I'm pretty sure just about any bed cover should work. I just wouldn't put my life on it lol

26. Jan 7, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    You ever get them shackles and throw them on yet? I want to see how good they look. Are you thanking or hating me now?

27. Jan 7, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    darkknight2014

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    New york
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra sr5
    20" Cooper STT Pros on md rims, quadfire lights, pro grille, leather interior, navi, retrofitted headlights, blacked out chrome, TRD sway bar, hypertech interceptor, k&n air intake, Banks exhaust
    Yeah ill call the company cause it looks like it gets bolted in. And that drop in plastic bed cover fron the dealership blocks the metal.

28. Jan 7, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Oh you're talking about the plastic bed liner? If so my bad, I thought u meant cover as in bed cover tonneau cover. To answer your question now, yes it does get bolted in. U drill a couple holes and drive in bolts. The plastic liner you would need to cut a small piece or two from it. Spray in liner you just drill through. That I remember for fact when I purchased. Hope it helps.

29. Jan 7, 2018 at 9:43 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    The directions I remember had 2 different ways to install. 1 with no liner and spray in liner, 2 with a plastic bed liner. It can be done you would just need to do a little cutting of said plastic.

30. Jan 7, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    darkknight2014

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    New york
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra sr5
    Yeah i have both the tonneau cover and the plastic bed liner. Hopefully next week its getting rhino lined though so ill wait then

Products Discussed in

To Top