1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mgm16trdpro build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by mgm16trdpro, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Oct 15, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro [OP] Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    I don't think I'd ever try retro myself. I have idea of how, but never did 1, and heard the 3rd gen perma seal is not 1 to learn on.

I'm just thinking it gonna be around 1k for retro or 18 led and for around 200 i can get 4x the halogen stock light on low beam with led headlight rev kit. It has pretty decent cutoff from pics and good reviews.

I find myself seeing great with s8 for highbeam when needed & appropriate but soon as I turn off I can't see shit with stock low and fogs. I know the bd fogs will help. I just want better low beam light from headlights and prefer not spending a ton or having possible issues from hid.

2. Oct 15, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
  3. Oct 15, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Agreed, I forgot about them, thanks. Got all my interior and love vled.

Take a look at the link below and tell me what you think. They claim to outperform a 35 w hid, not a 55 w, so seems credible. If I'm understanding correctly, for around $50 more, it seems the headlight revolution kit is brighter but almost same draw. The cutoff pics on their site don't look bad either.

I haven't decided anything yet for sure, but I want to do all my research now so I can put a plan together like I've done on everything else. Unfortunately, for me it usually don't take too long to pull the trigger once the plan is in place, regardless if the timing is right, lol.

I'm definitely interested in your educated lighting opinion on these below.

https://headlightrevolution.com/2014-2017-toyota-tundra-gen-3-led-headlight-bulbs-upgrade/

BlueBottle likes this.
  4. Oct 15, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    @BlueBottle If u have a sec, there's a short video clip that shows them in real life comparison to stock, hids, etc. Lmk your thoughts after you watch.

5. Oct 15, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    In the spirit of continuing to help eachother I'll rent you some advertising space here. I'll let everyone know to check this out @BlueBottle is selling an exhaust for a great price, here's the link
    https://www.tundras.com/posts/385235/
    If I didn't have the trd dual exhaust that comes stock on the Pro I'd be interested.

BlueBottle likes this.
  6. Oct 15, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    It looks cool but for my I stick with name brand items like Philips or VLED. Not saying GTR is any good, but if I'm going to spend that kind of coin, it better be a name brand. That's all I'm saying. I tend not to like their videos either. Just my opinion.

7. Oct 15, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Lol tend to not like their videos. As I said, I'm still research stage. I totally forgot about the Vleds. Tnx for the reminder, I love their high quality interior leds I used. I couldn't be happier and they were great to deal with. Now that u mention I'm going to look into their option further. As always tnx for ur .02, much appreciated.

Btw I'm still waiting to see a pic of your 3rd light tinted with the tint I sent ya. I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't curious about what exhaust you will be going to. If I had to guess, with those big boy shocks you just put on I'm going to say the dirty deeds race exhaust? Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

As always, good to hear from ya buddy.

BlueBottle[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 15, 2017 at 9:23 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    The 3rd light tint is just sitting in my tool box. Ill get to it one of these days. I'm running the 8" bamuffler. Gonna stick with that for a while. Good luck on your search.

mgm16trdpro[OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 27, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170323_185459.jpg Sorry guys for the delay. Up next is the bed cover. An expensive addition for me but 1 of my favorites. The company that makes is from PA. This version is the Diamondback HD cover with an atv package and black package. It's rated for, if I recall 1400 lbs.

Don't bug out when I tell you what I paid $2600. However, they make a SE version looks same but less tie downs 4, no rails, and rated for 400 lbs. Before I bought any other cover if I was you I'd consider this version. It's probably a couple hundred more dollars than competition but well worth it when u consider capabilities.

10. Oct 27, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170409_170628.jpg Mine comes with all u see here. 2 folding 5 foot ramps, rugged linex, the rail on top right to keep you from falling off side when loading quad, and the powder coated black rails that allow u to lock in with hooks the ramps and quad bumper stop.
    20170413_184111.jpg Because I have 27.5 inch pitbull growler atv tires I had an issue when I loaded quad getting the hooked ramps out from the rails. So they sent me the chrome tire raiser for free. That's how great they are to deal with.

Watt maker and Prostar 190 like this.
  11. Oct 27, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170409_174137.jpg 20170409_174159.jpg This is the end result of what u can do with it.

12. Oct 27, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170409_173416.jpg This is how it gets there.20170409_173432.jpg

13. Oct 27, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170409_174222.jpg Word of advice, even as a pretty bad ass on a quad I got to admit, the incline and decline of loading and unloading is hairy. If u are a novice or scare easy definitely go with the longer ramp option. I think that's 12 foot ramps. The couple extra feet make a big difference on the degrees of angle. I wanted the ramps to fit in crewmax with tail up so I went short 10 ft option. If u got a double cab go bigger length. Mines extra scary too because my rears are so wide they barely fit in width of ramp guides. This cover is great for when I want to just take my quad and don't feel like hauling trailer. If u don't have a trailer now u can convince urself with 1 purchase u got a trailer and bed cover on the back of ur truck. I love it and highly recommend.

Watt maker, onetohunt and drumzdj like this.
  14. Oct 27, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170805_162308.jpg It's got 2 locking by key deadbolt handles that u can see in front and rear middle. It's essentially theft proof. I installed myself with a friend in about 30 min, very easy. The only part u actually bolt down by a c clamp is the 4 corners of just the middle section. So if u need to just remove 1 section due to height of an object u can just fold back a section or remove a section in minutes.

I'll get into the bed lighting soon, but u can see from pic how it opens with gas springs if u wanted to open both sides
    20170410_195450.jpg

blue16 and Prostar 190 like this.
  15. Oct 27, 2017 at 10:06 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    If u just wanted to open your tailgate you can without needing to do anything with the cover. It mounts on top of the factory deck rail system so u can still use that with the sliding shackles. They make it in chrome or linex, they make different styles like more designed for construction type equipment, instead of folding like mine the 2 sides fold up and then the back tail folds up in a 3rd section. My point is they make a very versatile product line. Chances are u can find 1 of their product's to best suit ur specific need.

I love this fn cover, any questions feel free. I don't regret spending the money i paid for it and would do it again.
    20170831_212137.jpg 20170901_011319.jpg 20170805_162222.jpg 20170820_144215.jpg Here u can see where it mounts to rail and the 1 of 4 gas springs for a nice slow controlled loft open.
    20171001_002346.jpg Here u can see 1 of the 2 dead bolt style locks and a pull handle strap for closing down.

Prostar 190 likes this.
  16. Oct 27, 2017 at 10:41 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    damn ! that's some serious cover.

17. Oct 27, 2017 at 10:58 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx, if u or anyone in the market for a bed cover u might end up being very thankful if u go to their site and check them out. Lots of options on their covers for all different prices. Mine's on the high end, but there's alot more budget friendly options u can see on their site.

It really baffles me and the only thing I can think of is many people might not know of them like the other more mainstream brands, is why someone would get like a bakflip, truxedo, roll up, hard top, or sliding cover that can hold snow on it if they lucky, when they can get the SE version in linex and looks exactly like mine with just less tie downs, I think 4, and a payload of 400?

Besides those differences it's exactly like mine. Just as secure, functions same, and looks just as cool imo. I think u can get SE version for around a grand, say 900. I don't get why someone would pay like 700 and get a far inferior cover than if they paid a couple hundred extra and got all the added benefits of what these can do?

I'm not saying you The beast, I'm just saying people in general. I just would've thought I'd see lot more of these rather than the normal more popular brands running around.

Hey I'm not complaining, I love being different or having things no one else does. I just would've thought I'd see lot more of these for the small price difference. I'm guessing most just don't know. Guess that's why I'm trying to help and put so much info into it, least my fellow tundra buddies here will hopefully get the info.

TheBeast[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    Judd1980

Judd1980 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Judd
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Platinum
    nicely done

19. Oct 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx for all the compliments

20. Nov 4, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    So after adding the bed cover I noticed there were a couple issues I needed to resolve inside the bed regarding carrying cargo and being able to see in there.

Whenever we went food shopping or to my kids sporting activities I would notice whatever we put back there would roll around and I'd have to crawl up into the front of the bed to retrieve these things. So I figured if I purchased a cargo netting I'd be able to put smaller things like groceries in the bag netting and with a bar I'd be able to secure larger objects.

So to resolve the issue of securing cargo in the bed and keeping it safe toward the tailgate I purchased a cargo sports bag from auto anything which sinches by a top strap and from covercraft an adjustable cargo bar.
    20170820_144215.jpg

21. Nov 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170820_144612.jpg I'm very happy with both the cargo bar and netting since both serve a purpose for different types and sizes of cargo.
    The bar is a dark gray and can easily be made bigger or smaller by simply pushing in the button and adjusting smaller or larger quickly. This allows me to secure large flat objects like boxes both side to side or front to back with a quick push of the button and a couple twists to really lock it down for fine tuning. Just be careful with not overtightening because as you twist if you twist hard enough it will continue to push out and extend. I've heard stories of people blowing out the sides of their beds by doing this.

The netting is great too. I can with a quick snap connect or disconnect the hook on or off the factory sliding rail tie downs. When we go food shopping or if I have a smaller object I don't want rolling around I can place it inside the cargo netting bag and with the simple pull of a strap tighten the top of the netting to keep it in there. If I wanted I could also disconnect the netting and use it to carry like a bag sports equipment.

22. Nov 4, 2017 at 8:32 PM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    My man....There are so many of your ideas I wanna swipe..Great rig

23. Nov 4, 2017 at 8:56 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Besides securing cargo in the bed I wanted to be able to see it to retrieve it. The bed cover does such a great job to not allow any water in so it's also unfortunately great at not allowing any light in. Btw I'm perfectly fine taking that trade off keeping everything dry back there. So to resolve the issue of being able to see back there especially at night I purchased 2 auto access led lights. I didn't want to drill holes and run wiring into the bed liner so these are operated very simply by 2 AA batteries.
    20170410_200053.jpg They peel and stick by 3m tape. I mounted 1 in the front.
    20170410_195353.jpg And 1 in the rear under the lip of the bed cover. When the cover is down u don't see the mounted lights.
    20170410_200527.jpg I'm very happy with these and they throw a ton of light. They more than solved my issue of not being able to see inside the bed at night. They are actually so bright they even throw a whole bunch of light all around my vehicle in addition to just the bed when I raise lifting the bed cover sides.
    20170410_195603.jpg 20170410_200606.jpg They even make them motion detected for the same price however I opted for the manual push button because I was afraid with cargo back there it would keep turning on. They even come with an adjustable timer so if u forget to shut them off they will eventually turn off by themselves.
    20170410_200355.jpg I love them they are bright AF. Just look at the light it's throwing back toward my house/garage. With these up it not only illuminates my bed, it illuminates all around my truck almost as if I got rock lights. I'm still on the original batteries and don't have to worry about shorts ect that comes with running wires. Easy, simple, cost effective, and more than solved the issue of bed lighting.
    20170915_214658.jpg

24. Nov 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Lol, no worries, feel free to take away. This is why I'm doing this, to help others, as I have been helped. Others have been great to me providing help and info when I've asked so I'm just trying to pay it forward. Btw thank you for ur service, u are the true hero here.

aperezsh[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Nov 4, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170908_200022.jpg 20171008_211231.jpg This allows me to see, in the bed with both covers down, in the bed and tool box plus off the tailgate with just 1 rear light on and cover up, or all around the truck and in the bed with both lights on and both sides of cover up like this.
    20170410_195801.jpg

26. Nov 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170908_195827.jpg Just a cool photo with flash on cell camera and running lights on with 1 bed light on.
    20170915_214816.jpg

20170410_200524.jpgBoth on and bed covers down.
    20170410_200416.jpg Both on and up.
    20170410_200537.jpg Just rear on and cover down.

TheBeast likes this.
  27. Nov 10, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Next addition, time to tint the winders. I wanted to match the fronts to the factory best I could. In order to do so I decided to go 1 shade darker about 5% in the fronts to accommodate the light coming through the front windshield.

Hopefully that little tidbit helps someone because if you tint the fronts a lighter percentage or even the same % as the factory tint, when light comes through the front windshield they will definitely look a shade lighter. So in order to match the factory tint best I could I decided to go about 5% darker than the factory to appear to match best I could.
    20170506_113821.jpg 20170506_113836.jpg 20170507_125824.jpg
    So if u take 1 thing away from this it's this. If u don't plan to tint your front winshield, u might want to go ever so slightly darker on the front sides if ur objective is to match the factory tint look. If u do not go slightly darker when the sun light comes thru your front windshield they will appear much lighter than the factory tint. Hope this helps someone.

onetohunt and blue16 like this.
  28. Nov 10, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Not in chronological order here but came across photos and thought I'd add. The top pic is 1 of the 2 risers that diamondback sent me (free I might add) when I called them and told them I had an issue with the size of my pitbull growler quad tires 27.5 inch, essentially locking my quad on top of the ramps and not being able to remove them due to tire weight/pressure locking them down onto rails after loading. I made the call and they were on my doorstep the very next day, free too. If that's not customer service after the sale I don't know what is.20170413_184111.jpg

The next pic below I just wanted to show how the 295s can fit in the wheel well without major modification, just in case anyone curious. I simply removed the screws in the liner, was able to push them forward about an inch with very minimal trimming.
    It basically looks as if it's straight from the factory. No offense to anyone, but I've seen others with the same exact size butcher the liners up front or completely remove or chop in half them and I want others to know, there's no need. I was able to install these tires without any major modification, which is exactly what I intended and heard was possible through my research. I don't want anyone to think if they go this big 295, they will need big mods. No need for body mount chop and even the wheel liners and small mud flap can be left intact looking factory. I was basically able to get enough room with zero rub by removing the screws, pushing the liner forward toward the front bumper, and put the screws back in. Others were able to accomplish same with heat gun or drill the bottom hole closer to front and put screw back in. Killing or destroying your front wheel well liners are not necessary with this tire size and 2 shims up front. Good luck.
    20170422_035703.jpg

29. Nov 10, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Hands down, the best rig I've ever seen. Need to submit to a magazine!

30. Nov 10, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20170515_175150.jpg 2 weeks after letting the tint cure above, I decided to add some weather tech in channel rain guards below. I like these because they are low profile and they actually go all the way down on the front windows, not allowing any rain to sneak in off mirrors ect. Before installing, I removed the weather tech labeling on them by scrubbing the sticker/adhesive off with towel and water. This does take a little bit to remove so be patient and try not to scratch them up.
    20170525_214816.jpg 20170616_204259.jpg 20170618_193946.jpg Here's a pic to see their low profile from front.
    20170618_194633.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top