1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mgm16trdpro build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by mgm16trdpro, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Mar 30, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro [OP] Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Thank u sir. Yours is too. Feeling the exhaust u just did. My audio shit will be here tomorrow.

2. Mar 31, 2018 at 11:01 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Here's a hint of what I did today.
    20180331_130856.jpg

So yesterday I got a lot done, put the truck to work and got it covered in mud. Today I gave it a well deserved bath. In the spirit of getting alot done and keeping the ball rolling I decided to tackle something I've been wanting to do for some time.

I put this warning out there to you all. This is not something that can be done quickly, this is very tedious and time consuming, taking apart bolts and rivets, sanding, cleaning, painting, putting it all back together, ect. Think I started around noon and didn't get done til 6ish.

Despite all the work that goes into this, in the end I feel it was well worth it. If this will hold up thru washes and the elements is another story. I will be ecstatic and think it came out fn awesome if it does hold up. If it dont, I might just clean up the lines the flares have left on the truck and go flareless, after my devastation of course.

By now I'm sure we all know what my truck looked like before today. I started by removing the fender flares off the truck. Damn it looks good without flares, minus the line they leave when removed.
    20180331_124746.jpg 20180331_124800.jpg 20180331_130902.jpg

Next I removed each rivet, think 32 in total, cleaned them up and scuffed them up a little with a scuff pad. I also cleaned the truck in the areas behind the flares while my paint dried. I would remove a set, scuff, then paint, repeat. I probably put a total of 4-5 coats of rustoleum textured black rattle can. It looked like I had a production line going in my garage and dtiveway, unfortunately I was extremely busy so didn't take too many pics while I was waist deep in the shit.
    20180331_130845.jpg

If u attempt this be patient and plan on it taking at least a half day. Let your paint fully dry, especially since right after you paint them and let dry you have to use a ratchet on the back side and a torx (star) bit to tighten. It's very easy to strip the paint using this method. When I was done and mounted them back up, I went around with a match tip to touch up any small imperfections from striping the paint.

Without further ado, here's how it turned out. I think it looks a million times better, I just hope it holds up and don't end up being a giant waste of time. If it don't I might try a black replacement rivet or just ditch the flares and deal with the repercussions on the sides of my truck without running them.

20180331_154057.jpg 20180331_154119.jpg 20180331_161406.jpg 20180331_163138.jpg 20180331_174707.jpg 20180331_180804.jpg 20180331_180814.jpg 20180331_180825.jpg

Patch999, aperezsh, Cfincke and 4 others like this.
  3. Mar 31, 2018 at 11:16 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Some close-up shots to admire the quality of my work lol
    20180331_185806.jpg 20180331_185858.jpg 20180331_185935.jpg 20180331_185944.jpg

I absolutely love the way it turned out. It looks so much better with black rivets over being chrome. I feel the finished result is well worth the time and effort going into the tedious project. Assuming the paint lasts I feel it was a great move. If it doesn't it will hurt to have put in that much effort. Would've been a hell of a lot easier if i did this before it's 1st installation. If the paint wears off I will try a black replacement rivet from a shop. If I can't do that it might be time to ditch the flares and fix the line in paint they leave from wear. I don't think I will attempt to repaint a 2nd time if the 1st don't work out. It's either this hoping it lasts, purchase a black replacement rivet taking off the flares exchanging the rivets and put back on, or just take em off n Go flareless.

4. Mar 31, 2018 at 11:16 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Happy Easter everyone.

darkknight2014 and TXDrifter like this.
  5. Apr 1, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Looks good! I like it. Another option is to powdercoat them. That’s more durable and what I did to the bead lock bolts on my wheels. Your truck looks good without the flares too so either way is fine.

mgm16trdpro[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 1, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx buddy, I appreciate it. I def like the look better with black rivets. If they didn't serve a purpose of keeping the paint good on sides I'd take off in second. I really like the look without. If they served no purpose I'd set go without, I certainly did not get just for looks. On looks I'm literally split in half, I like it with and without.

1 thing I can def say for sure, I myself will not be removing and painting again. If it don't hold the powder coat is a good idea, that with someone else doing it, or I go flareless. Once was enough for me. I don't think I have the patience for a 2nd run attempting to paint again.

7. Apr 1, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    seniramsu

seniramsu Pro Runnin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Wht
    Looks great with the rivets painted!!! Great build brotha!!! :hattip::hattip:

8. Apr 1, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx Nate, I'm not going to lie, the process was a bit painful and I certainly am not known for patience. The final result I think was worth it in the end. I just pray it holds up and it wasn't all for not. Time will tell. Tnx for the compliments.

darkknight2014 likes this.
  9. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    seniramsu

seniramsu Pro Runnin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Wht
    Yeah man with what you put in and what you put it into, I’m sure you’ll get to enjoy every last ounce of what you expect. I have def got a lot from your build so thanks again.

10. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Cool man glad I can be of assistance. Any questions always feel free. Always willing to try n help a fellow tundra owner. I've found this site to be 1 of the better ones where people are usually willing to help, give honest feedback, and don't always feel the need to bash people constantly.

11. Apr 3, 2018 at 4:56 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Install day

Custom box behind seat with 2 JL 10's

20180403_060447.jpg

Hertz door speakers front n rear, tweeters, link 8 processor and jbl 5 Chan amp
    20180403_060922.jpg

Rest of shit wire, speaker forms, amp n link 8 platform mount, ect
    20180403_060934.jpg

12. Apr 3, 2018 at 6:13 AM
    dradd

dradd Sometimes there is just us

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    City of Champyinz
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Pro
    pending...
    I know you will do after pictures. But I want to see what they do with the tweeter in the back door, pictures of that please.

13. Apr 3, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah no prob Dan. Looks to me the 2 plastic bags on left of pic have a pop in plastic for them. I'm guessing pop out old install speaker to new and pop in the old place. I'm doing it today so if u don't see a pic by later today just remind me.

14. Apr 3, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    From what I understand, someone just looking at it wouldn't be able to see that anything was ever done to it. We'll see later.

15. Apr 3, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I'm pretty sure since don't have in front of me at moment they're sail panels so will look something similiar. Will know for sure later though.

2017-Toyota-Tundra-TRD-Pro-Cement-Audio-Upgrade-9.jpg

aperezsh likes this.
  16. Apr 3, 2018 at 6:54 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Good luck with the install!

17. Apr 3, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx buddy

18. Apr 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM
    Danimal86

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    You doing it yourself?

19. Apr 3, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I wish. I've never done it before and wasn't comfortable. I can hook up tv's to surround sounds and mount on walls hiding wires but didn't want to f up the install and or my truck. I work with my hands but it's more construction type work and not a whole lot electrical. I dropped in am b4 work and just picked up after. I'll post pics soon. The sound is amazing imo, especially for the price I paid.

20. Apr 3, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Here u go Dan full review to come shortly.
    20180403_214901.jpg

21. Apr 3, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    So today I had a shop model electronics on rt 17 install my audio equipment from James Randy Taylor at 12 volt tech in GA. They confirmed i got an awesome deal from James. They also said it was the best most complete put together kit they ever received from a supplier for an install. Every single thing they needed was there. They even said if they have a Tundra come in they will look to get everything from him for their own installs.

This is the way the truck should have came from factory, however, I wouldn't expect the same quality and sound. It would be nice if it was even close. After hearing this for the price it blows me away the difference in audio quality, I mean our stock system really blows.

You can even tell that anything was put in. Everything looks completely stock. I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the sound. It's fn awesome. Dealing with Randy was a phenomenal experience ,taking the time to answer all my questions, I was able to speak with him at 3am if I wanted. Top notch products and service.

Kept the factory head unit. The speakers come with a form to place in our stock location. Only difference notice the tweeter in the sail panel by mirror. Only thing added but looks oem.

20180403_215039.jpg

From the rear looking into cab the same. The hertz door speakers to match front go in factory location with the supplied form. Tweeter added in door as well supplied to look oem from James.
    20180403_214901.jpg

The sub box behind rear seat you can't tell it's there and the only other difference is the amp and link 8 processor under front passenger. Unless you look you can't tell it's there either.
    20180403_214909.jpg 20180403_214950.jpg

The install came out perfect. Every single nut, bolt, wire, speaker, form, ect was included just as James said. Model electronics did a great job on the install and like they said, to me it says something that they want to get their stuff from James on any tundra that comes in. They were blown away on how neat, how it sounded, and how put together it all was. I can't say enough, upon looking at it you can't tell there's anything there, it looks like a stock trd pro. Once you turn on the audio it's everything but stock, the system is phenomenal. I think they even said they only have it set up between 20-50% for what it can do. For me, it's plenty loud, sounds Crystal clear, base kicks and still looks like it came from factory. It's exactly what I wanted and didn't break the bank, I'm beyond happy with it and can't say enough.

22. Apr 3, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7

Sweet. Now how much was all this, if you don't mind sharing? If not, that's understandable.

23. Apr 3, 2018 at 7:35 PM
    dradd

dradd Sometimes there is just us

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    City of Champyinz
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Pro
    pending...
    That's exactly what I wanted to see. The rear tweeter is in the stock location. Was there a certain kit you picked or was it what Mr. Taylor recommended. Nice clean install Mike, wish I was close enough to hear it.

24. Apr 3, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    He was/is doing a special until he runs out. It was supposed to be a whole jbl everything kit with a free hertz upgraded door speakers for 699. I paid a little more to get the 2 JL 10's and the link 8. I was still under a grand for every single thing supplied in kit. The place that did install said it was best most complete kit they ever got dropped off by a customer. It sounds amazing. Your best bet is to contact James and tell him u saw what I got, ur interested, see what he can do n talk to him. He's an awesome guy.

aperezsh, Cfincke and dradd like this.
  25. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    Will do. Thanks

26. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:02 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Hey Dan, see the above post. He was or is doing a special on the whole kit. It's basically handpicked by him for a best price but nice upgrade. U won't find a better deal more complete package for the cost. Talk to him, u can tell u saw what I had and interested, he knows I did install today, Mikey from NJ. I took his special, talked with him a for a small increase in price tweaked a few things. It sounds amazing. Crystal clear and thumps.

dradd[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    He don't sleep, customer service is top notch, u can get him anytime on messenger or when become customer cell ect

dradd likes this.
  28. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    seniramsu

seniramsu Pro Runnin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra Wht
    Another top notch upgrade!!! Keep on keepin on man, your truck is a beast!!! I always like to see your thread and what you have added because it is just clean.

29. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Tnx Nate I really appreciate that.

30. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    Danimal86

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    congrats man, sounds like it's a bitchin setup!

Products Discussed in

To Top