1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low-intensity, aftermarket light for hood bulge?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bigshark88, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Apr 25, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    bigshark88

bigshark88 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 cement
    N-Fab Nerf Step; Retrax; B&W
    Is there a low brightness, (probably red) product on the market for the hood bulge? Need one for sneaking to my hunting spot on an access trail without sweeping the whole field.

2. Apr 26, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    ncorry

ncorry New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    2019 CM SR5 TSS
    For the exact same use, I went with the CaliRaised hidden bumper mount and a 32" Quake LED Magma light bar. The Quake LED bar uses two switches, one to turn the LEDs on in white (wired to the high beams) and one to turn them red. I wouldn't call the red low brightness, but it's not in the Q-Beam league either. Having it mounted lower than the bulge helps.
    [​IMG]

I also mounted one of these forward-facing to the front mud flap things. They are a lot brighter than you'd think they would be. You could mount two on each mud flap in front of the front tires and then a couple in the grille somehow. Like I said, they're brighter that I thought they'd be. I also used these for bed lighting and rock crawler / underbody lighting. I've been very happy with them. I'll try to remember to post a pic of them mounted to the mudflaps later.
    Amazon Red LED rock lights.

Alternatively, you could check this thread out and use red LED strips from Amazon like these.

3. Apr 26, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    bigshark88

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 cement
    Thank you! How does the white light look out of that CaliRaised LED? Is it pretty bright when using the white light?

4. Apr 26, 2019 at 9:31 AM
    ncorry

ncorry New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    2019 CM SR5 TSS
    The white light definitely adds light. It's not as bright as it would be if I mounted it to a bull bar/ in front of the bumper, or even higher behind the grille. I replaced my halogen headlight bulbs with Auxbeam LEDs, and their hi beams are freaking bright, so the overall brightness of the white light from the LED bar is hard to judge behind the wheel. Yes, I can tell that it's on, but the overall net addition of brightness is much harder for me to tell than similar light bars on previous trucks that had POS OEM headlight output. That said, I've got the red LEDs wired up so that I can turn them on anytime. It puts out a lot of red light- but it's the only light that I have turned on. I'd be comfortable cruising down a country road at midnight at 45 if I had hay fields on both sides. The white LEDs are wired so that they will only turn on when the hi beams are on.

You might also see if you could find red H4 bulbs for the fog housing and re-wire the fogs to anytime.

5. Apr 26, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    bigshark88

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 cement
    Thank you so much this is very helpful. I have Googled and everything and this is the first solid information I've seen. Your insight is like 50% of why I registered. Thanks.

To Top