1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lost Hunting Grounds

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Rgross2112, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Jul 11, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    IndianaGeologist

IndianaGeologist New Member

Member:
    I can relate too. In Texas damn near everything is private land and the owners want alot of money to lease them. I really wish Texas had more BLM or state forests for hunting.

mley1 and jewsNbrews like this.
  2. Jul 11, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    They have to allow access to the lands for officials, but they do not have to allow the public.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  3. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    Shark Bait

Shark Bait Not new anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum
    To add to my post, I am not against hunting. It is needed and some of the deer on my 200+ acres do travel outside the property lines (I posted it all but they seem to not read :annoyed:) where they are fair game. We have the same 9-11 deer every night that we feed and occasionally (more through the winter) have up to 40 in our back yard.
    I found like so much of today, the lack of respect, accountability and the over abundance of entitlement ruins any chance of trying to return to the “good ole days” of whole communities being and being able to share resources, at least in much of our area. I have caught poachers on my place (again it is all posted) with high powered rifles, ready to pull the trigger, with no ideal where my house or shop is.
    WV land owners do not need a hunting license on their own land and coyotes are open season year round, I do kill all of those I can, a 338 Lapua can make a mess of a ‘yote, 450 yards away, trying to find a fawn that’s waiting for her mother whose trying to lead them away. The packs of coyotes here migrate around and will gone for 4-6 months before returning for about the same period of time. It’s great, like this year, when they are absent through the late spring and early summer when the fawns are being born. The mothers usually bed in our front and back yards because of the security and observation from our flood lights. We’ve had triplets in previous years that the coyotes or a bobcat would get one or two. We often, like just last night, have twins here and they are fun to watch. A friend used to hunt turkey here and has many mounted ones that he calls record sizes from our place. It’s not unusual to come across them in groups of 50 or more, however, the last few years we’ve not spotted many chics. Our dog, (wild but now somewhat domesticated) has a fancy for the taste of their eggs. I hope they are bedding further from the house and that’s the reason for their lack of being spotted. We have a male bear that lives to one side of our land and a female on the other. She has 2-3 cubs at a time and are very fun to watch when they show up on occasion for apples. Our place is enjoyable, to us, like it is.

4. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    You got that backwards. Private land owners can't restrict access on a road they don't own. They can try and many get away with it until legally challenged. This is true in every state. If It's a Forest Service or BLM road then only the Forest Service or BLM determines whether their road remains open or closed and who passes through.

Wallygator likes this.
  5. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    Barrett50

Barrett50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Wisco
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC silver
    Exactly, and there isn’t always a road for access. Some don’t understand that.

jewsNbrews and GODZILLA[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:21 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I live here and public land is inaccessible. Here's a link on the subject and how it can be blocked off. https://www.hcn.org/issues/51.2/public-lands-why-wyomings-public-lands-are-locked-up

Use Google before assuming you know about other states, because land rights, especially private, vary by state. It's a constant issue in my state, even if it's not one in yours.

7. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I explained that some public lands have no access at all in inaccessible areas. There are usually no roads at all within miles. AK comes to mind. ANWR. Need a parachute there. Very few public lands have zero access where the only way in is through private property. Not saying it doesn't happen, but certainly not the norm. I simply stated that private landowners can't legally restrict access on a "Federally" owned road. Some don't understand that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Wallygator likes this.
  8. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Not assuming anything. Read my posts closer. You are talking about state lands in your link. Of course each state can deal with how state public owned lands are accessed. Similar situation here. Google how the Feds deal with access to FS & BLM public lands that they are responsible for. There is a difference. I never mentioned state land access in my posts.

Wallygator likes this.
  9. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    Barrett50

Barrett50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Wisco
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC silver
    I gotcha, just meant people that haven’t been out west can’t fathom land locked public land. I was surprised first time I ran across it.

10. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    I fully understand land owner rights, I dont want folks all over my place, I always ask if I can hunt or fish, 99% of time the answer is no. Many years ago things were different, you could ask and 99% was a hell yes go ahead, just close any gates behind you and pick up any trash and dont leave any trash. When hunting the rule was if you see a yote shoot it, no matter what.

As those land owners passed away, land was passed down or sold, younger folks started saying no, then leasing got popular and folks found out they can get some folks to pay thousands of $$$ to be able to hunt and fish, greed took over from there. I get it, its their land not mine they do as they wish. No issues there.

Just sad to me to see things change like that.

Then you have those folks who think rules dont apply to them, screwing things up for everyone else.

11. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    I do get a laugh at folks who complain about deer on the highways, yet they have land and refuse to let folks hunt, try to explain to them the benefits of hunting and herd control, nope wont hear of it, but something needs to be done about all the deer on the highways LOL.

12. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Later on this morning I'm heading up to Dakota Hill and passing through the 1400 acres on the FS road to go to my friend Marvin's 28 acres. An unusual situation getting there. The FS road that Marvin used for over 30 years to "get" to his private property was closed 3 years ago. No warning. None. To access his property is by way of another FS road that is basically a narrow jeep trail. Tunny gets scratched up good every time I drop down to get to his place. He's been fighting with the FS ever since. Feds have the power that states don't have. Not very forgiving either.

Rgross2112[OP] and ColoradoTJ like this.
  13. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Here's Federal lands that are land locked, because Wyoming is big on private land rights. It's just a double edge sword.

https://www.wyomingpublicmedia.org/...-public-land-is-landlocked-in-wyoming-so-what

14. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    I worked a ranch when we moved here in 1979, I was 13. Got a job the spring of 1980 and had turned 14, fixing fence, hay hauling that summer etc. Good old manual labor farm work.

I asked the wife of the man that owned it if I could hunt that fall for deer, oh she shut me down and said no one hunts here. Then she said Ree, she had nick named me Ree, adapted me into her family. Sit down.

She told me why no hunting was allowed. Years before she said it different, then one day a man showed up and asked to quail hunt one of her pastures, sure go ahead she said.
    She said heard lots of shooting that day and a few hours later the guy left, gates open did not stop at the house as requested.

She drove up to her fields and what she saw pissed her off seems that guy had shot and left lay over 50 quail, whole intact birds and shot gun hulls everywhere. Of course she called the game wardens, but after that all hunting was off limits. Only family could fish it, even her kids could not hunt.

She looked me right in the eyes and said Ree, you are like one of my own, you can fish and camp all you want, but if I ever catch you hunting my land I beat the fire out of you.

Yes maam, can I go now...LOL

15. Jul 11, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Stolen property, my bbq grille shot full of holes, fence cut. ATV tracks all over my property. A total disregard for "my" property I own and pay taxes on. Our Game Management Unit is #83. One of the few in the state that is restricted to landowners and special draws. The state was forced to do it because of all the illicit hunting, break-ins, horses and cattle stolen. Landowners are tired of the crap going on our properties. Hunters with New Mexico plates have been seen on the properties. 55,000acres of privately owned land fully posted and Yahoo's still do what they want like they actually owned some land there. Not sympathetic at all.

Rgross2112[OP] and Shark Bait like this.
  16. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.

I understand the situations, but I think we may have crossed messages, the post you quotes was a sarcastic comment about folks complaining about deer on the highways but are anti hunting. :D

17. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    GODZILLA[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Matt, I owe you an apology. I got shitty with you and I'm sorry. I didn't sleep for crap and I've got a borderline migraine hitting me, and my tact suffered as a result. It's no excuse for my poor attitude, and I do apologize.

19. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    It's elk down near my property. Ha! One of largest herds in the state roams around there. Don't want to hit one....

RLHULK[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    You made a good point. No worries. We are on the same page, just different paragraphs!

21. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    As someone who very recently decided to start hunting this coming Fall, this thread is depressing. I see both sides of it. The thing that hits home is the lack of self policing in the hunting community. That makes total sense to me. It’s the same with “overlanders”. People pooping on the ground, leaving trash and beer cans everywhere they go are ruining it for those of us who actually understand “leave no trace”.

I’ve had it in my mind to buy some rural property for a few years now. My friends who own a farm are constantly chasing people away. Guys will walk up the creek to get onto their land, play dumb when confronted, and try again the following weekend.

It’s just tough getting away from the fact that people suck, even out in rural or remote areas.

22. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Hunting has morphed into a hobby I simply can't afford anymore.

23. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    People that do that are not "overlanders", they are assholes, and most likely locals. So irritating.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  24. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I'll be honest with you all. If I owned 200+ acres and someone came to me for hunting, I would show them the gate. Actually, it would be an automated gate like the ones I have now. So I wouldn't see them.

Hell, I have a hell of a time keeping people off the 2 acres we live on now. If I leave the gate open...it never fails.

When we had our 5.3 acres of mountain property, I had to invest in trail cams to see who was doing what. I was a little surprised at my neighbors.

25. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Funny thing is I've never hunted on my property. I have 3 neighbors down there now that live off grid year round. They have permission to hunt on my property. I know them and deer and elk are all around and pass through. I've got no problem with them hunting on it. In return they will keep a look out for me and chase folks off the property that shouldn't be there. I do hunt on my friend Marvin's property but just grouse. I carry a signed paper property owners can issue to show the game warden. I have permission to hunt on the 1400 acres too but just grouse too. Deer & elk seasons are nuts up there now with so many hunters. Not much fun anymore. Grouse hunting is still enjoyable though. Easier to gut.....

An FYI...I used to get an over the counter private land deer license to hunt on Marvin's property. As of last year no longer available. Marvin can't even get one now to hunt on his property. He has to enter the general draw for that GMU.

Wallygator[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I have three trail cams right now on my property. Too late to help with the fence post theft. I do know where the fence posts are but can't prove it. It's not any of my "immediate" neighbors but close by. Apparently "they" recently bought their property and needed some fence posts.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jul 11, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Well, I appreciate your understanding. I do appreciate the leniency in this community.

Totally understand this approach. If I owned enough to worry about it I'd only let those I know, or those they vouched for in. Anyone I didn't personally know would have to be providing a lot of identifying info, and even then I'd not be inclined to allow it.
    People are generally shit. We no longer live in a society. We are all strangers who just happen to live close together. Seriously, used to be neighbors watched out for each other and their kids. Now days they sue each other because a kid's soccer ball rolls on their lawn, and then others think they are entitled to use your property because they want to. It's a :crapstorm: for sure.

Yes, I see the irony of praising this community just before condemning society. Both are still true.

28. Jul 11, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I haven't thought of this in a long time until this thread. My uncle who has long past to the next life would say "those who trespass get a warning shot. Better men have never made it out of these here hills." I always thought he was talking about the harsh weather and getting lost...maybe not. :rofl:

Man he would get pissed when someone was on his land. I mean red in the face and make a religious man cuss. His 1978 Ford F-250 highboy could cross some fields rather quickly after someone.

29. Jul 11, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    If anyone is interested in purchasing some property in Crawford County, PA shoot me a PM. Great hunting with a nearby creek, dirt road to a dirt road to get there kind of affair.

Family member is selling his 81 acres currently, has a house, garage, gas well, and hasn't been logged in over 30 years other than to keep existing trails open. $450k

jewsNbrews and GODZILLA like this.
  30. Jul 11, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    Rgross2112

Rgross2112 [OP] ASCM #5: Just like Sick and Disgusting

Member:
    First Name:
    Rush
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver TRD Limited
    Dang, didn’t know the western states are having such an issue. Certainly sounds like it has changed since the early 90’s when I lived in South Dakota. Things were certainly different then.

ColoradoTJ and jewsNbrews like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top