1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a new drill

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by T-Rex266, May 1, 2020.

?

Which cordless drill?

1. Dewalt

21 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Mikita

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Milwaukee

36 vote(s)
    41.4%
  4. Bosch

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  5. Festool

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Rigid

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  7. Ryobi

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. May 7, 2020 at 9:50 PM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    Forgot to add Panasonic impacts to the mix..one of the best drills I had and there battery lasted for years with constant use at my shop..I didn't continue to purchase due to cost.

2. May 7, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    I bought several brushless Dewalt 20v tools last year at Lowes and I've been very happy with them.
    Hammer drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, oscillating multi-tool, scroll saw, came with a free jobsite blower.

Got the small 20v hammer drill, but kept my bigger 18v Dewalt hammer drill.
    Bought this 20v adapter in case I ever need the 18v drill and ditched my 18v batteries.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V7QPTJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Dalandshark likes this.
  3. May 7, 2020 at 11:20 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    20 volt Dewalts at work, Red at home. Keep in mind a DeWalt at home Depot is not necessary the same DeWalt from a parts house. The chuck on the 20v dewalt drill has to be hand tightened (not by holding it while you pull the trigger) or it may get jammed open permanently and have to be replaced... Which of course requires some special tool.

4. May 8, 2020 at 2:33 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Bosch makes the best cordless drills, period. I've used just about every other brand at one point or another, and Bosch has out performed them all. All of my woodworking power tools are Bosch, and my surgical orthopedic drill I use at work is Bosch. It's all I will buy. Can't beat German engineering (even though most are not built in Germany, they're designed there). Festool is WAY WAY overpriced, and I'm not a fan of DeWalt quality or reliability. Milwaukee and Makita are good alternatives.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    saybng likes this.
  5. May 8, 2020 at 2:48 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    I realize I am going to be the odd man out, but my wife bought me a ryobi One+ 18v combo pack with router, belt sander, circular saw, drill and impact driver that I use regularly around the house for projects. I just got finished building a shed over the last two weeks.....I have since added Hedge trimmers, a leaf blower, and many others. They all work very well and have been worked hard. I haven’t had one problem and even gave away my dewalt after the batteries started going bad. I did purchase a rigid Octane 1/2” impact wrench and I really like it for truck stuff.

The ryobi stuff is affordable, they have a million options, yo can find them on huge sale certain times of the year and while they aren’t commercial grade I have used and abused my stuff and they work great!

omgboost and Leo's first like this.
  6. May 8, 2020 at 4:41 AM
    Wsteven

Wsteven New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White SR5 Single Cab
    Dewalt Dewalt Dewalt never have any issues with them work the living crap out of them just clean em when done ...IMG_0438.jpg

TheBeast and Alexstundra like this.
  7. May 8, 2020 at 5:12 AM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
  8. May 8, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    So I had to buy a small cordless while out of town o a job a few years back.
    I went to a Home Depot and got a Rigid 12v Drill kit because of the great warranty on the batteries that everyone was talking about.
    I used the drill and got the work done but when I went to register it for the warranty it was a no go?
    They said the serial numbers were no good and asked where I bought it?
    I had already sent them the receipt and said that I never saw any Rigid anyplace but HD anyway so WTF and they said too bad?????

Screw Rigid!

9. May 8, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    kparrow

kparrow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    I didn’t have anything “good” or that was mine so I started from scratch and decided to dive into the Milwaukee M12 FUEL brushless line. TONS of power, great on batteries. I have the first gen hammer drill and the 2nd gen hammer drill, 2nd gen impact driver. Over the holidays they came as a 2 pack with a 2ah, 4ah, and 6ah battery for less than the normal cost of just the impact with batteries. My next tools from them will most likely be the circular saw and hackzall because having battery powered, cordless saws are great. Next time I have a large soldering project I’ll pick up the m12 soldering iron probably. Planning on getting a Milwaukee heated jacket before next winter too, uses the same batteries

10. May 8, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I have that set. The impact is good. The drill and the batteries suck. The chuck has a plastic grip and doesn't hold bits very well and the batteries die very quickly. Do yourself a favor and get the 4ah batteries and this drill:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...mmer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R86116N/206947557

Overall I rate cordless tools as following:

Milwaukee for heavy duty use. Unless a pipefitter is using them, in that case nothing works. Pipefitters seem to be incapable of using tools without breaking them.

Makita for hard use. I use their corded tools as well.

Ridgid for home jobber stuff. This is what I have in my toolboxes at home. I only have one of their tools I'm not very happy with, it's that drill mentioned above.

In my experience, DeWalt is French for "fucking garbage". I've killed more DeWalt tools than I have every other brand combined. I'm down to only one DeWalt now, and it's just a light duty screw gun.

11. May 8, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    pickeledpigsfeet

pickeledpigsfeet New Member

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra/14 FJ/ 90 SASed xcab
    Kings & Icons
    Here are my spares. I essentially have one set of each. At work in my jobsite box is Yellow and Red. Bosch and makita dont work for me. The ergos are wrong for my hands/arms/shoulders. Dewalt is the most comfortable. I do not buy mine from lowes/hd so I am not sure about different qualities.

If you are going to use the often, go hold the impact and a circ saw and see brand which feels comfortable.

In my opinion, makita is living off its old build quality. All the cordless stuff is middle of the pack and I wont throw any more $ at them. I never see their cordless stuff at work sites.
    21737A27-F91D-47B6-8F30-AF16399D064A.jpg

12. May 8, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    We have have 50 or so milwakee m18 batteries circulating at our work for the last 8 years. Maybe 2 of them have failed.

13. May 8, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Perfect for the handle cabinet hardware I’m going to install today

DDD6DEF2-341E-49E0-9AF1-AB10F0CFFE77.jpg

Pinay, Northern, JMB and 1 other person like this.
  14. May 8, 2020 at 1:30 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    its a boy! Congrats!

Pinay and T-Rex266[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  15. May 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    You don't have to send in your receipt...it's all online registration and has been for a while now.

I'd have taken it back to HD, receipt or no receipt and explained "nicely". It was probably already registered and someone returned it.

Northern and ezdog[QUOTED] like this.
  16. May 8, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I did do that and got another Milwaukee like I should have in the first place.
    Thanks

17. May 8, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    I’ve used Dewalt drills for 30 years and they’ve been like tanks. However, I like the Milwaukee impact wrench and cordless ratchets - been eyeing them for a while but they ain’t cheap.

TheBeast likes this.
  18. May 8, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    browntundra77

browntundra77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    DMV
    Vehicle:
    2017 SBM Tundra Platinum CM
    The disparity between the tool quality is lesser than the advantage of having the same lithium battery across several tools in your box, imho. Otherwise, I vote milwaukee

TTund16 likes this.
  19. May 8, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    I agree with this and a lot of guys on jobs around here buy the hell out of Ryobi and have no issues at all they are a lot of drill for the money.

20. May 9, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    Northern

Northern New Member

Member:
    Long time ago we used to use ryobi as we'd often be on a roof/in the trusses/rafters so the odds of them falling and breaking or them being stolen by illegals were very high, high enough to only buy cheap tools. Same with a mixer--a cheap black and decker 1/2" corded drill as nobody would want to steal that. Get another one every couple of months it seemed and still came out ahead.

I've heard there are 2 different qualities in a brand, one for the big box stores and another for the job/parts houses. I've also heard the same thing about Wrangler jeans. Don't think any of it is true. There can be a different model, but my guess is that's related to a kit someone buys. Sometimes some manufacturers stick in cheaper items in a kit vs if one bought it as a stand alone. IIRC I saw a vid where DW did that to a guy and he outed them in a vid.

For a while it seemed like a new tool would hit the market, and it was great, but once out there for a while and successful, the mfgr did their 'value engineering' and cheapened it. Rigid with their vacuums. Dewalt with...well, all non contractor grade tooling, so it seems with them get it when it first comes out and you'll be good. I have a hand grinder from them that is absolutely great, but it was just a short run. The one I had before this one, I burned up.

Metabo was great, but seems like they've downgraded into the homeowner market. Their bigger stuff tho is probably still good. Don't know because I've not been able to kill mine. Now they are with hitachi. That brand seems to be better as 'hitatchi koki' as their heavy industries side.

One of the best buys I've gotten is a rigid worm drive saw. It is an absolute beast. $70 at pawnshop, new. Another is a milwaukee router. About same price, new at pawnshop. Pawnshops are a good way to judge the trades economy in an area. And number of illegals/thefts. Denver's a great place to buy from pawnshops.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  21. May 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    vegas4x4

vegas4x4 Blaaack

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD CM 4x4
    I own alot of Ryobi because of the price, and i dont use it daily, and none of the products have let me down. But i use alot of Milwaukee tools and theyre strong and i feel like they have better ergonmics. Feels better in the hand. If i were to do it again, id dish out the extra money for the milwaukee for myself. But honestly none of my Ryobi stuff has failed me once.

22. May 9, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    KMG

KMG New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Yacolt, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited DC 4x4 TRD
    BFG KO2s, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Trail Ridge Extendable Towing Mirrors
    Milwaukee M18 tools have been reliable for me. IMO, Several of the better commercial grade names have cheapened their products so they can be sold at big box stores to people who won't know the differences and just bought the tool because of the name and color. Big box level of Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita might be a fine tool for residential use but they are not the same level of quality compared to their commercial models.

23. May 9, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
  24. May 9, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    Northern

Northern New Member

Member:
    Most people overbuy on capability with tools if they aren't a tool they use at work, for a living. But being guys....nothing wrong with that.

25. May 10, 2020 at 1:22 AM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    I think Hilti is the best for comfort and durability. I've used plenty of drills.

26. May 15, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I have used Dewalt and Makita professionally for years in the flooring trade. I have run the crap out of some Makita tools and have burned out a couple too. In my personal collection I have mostly Dewalt 20v with a few 12v and Makita 18v tools. I like the Makita brushless impact better than Dewalt's. I would like to give Milwaukee a try but haven't seen the need to get into another battery platform just yet. Nice buy @T-Rex266

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top