1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and VA State Inspection

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by IrishGuy, May 21, 2019.

1. May 21, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    FoghornTX

FoghornTX Proud American and Infidel since 1968

Member:
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Camry XSE (Black w/blackout package)
    Time to buy a used OEM grill that you'll use every X years when it's time to get an inspection.

IrishGuy[OP] likes this.
  2. May 21, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    VTYOTA

VTYOTA I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2014 SS CM TRD
    Or get an OEM color matched grill and bulge!

IrishGuy[OP] likes this.
  3. May 21, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    Vr0ck

Vr0ck New Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 5.7 MGM DC 4x4
    Toytec Boss C/O, Toytec Shackles, 5160s, nfab step bars, 8" BAMuffler, OVTune, AuxBeam LEDs, Vahalla protection plates
    Correction: disconnect and remove lightbar

4. May 21, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    Ajkkane

Ajkkane Old fart.

Member:
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM SR5
    Exhaust Dirty Deeds 8”SS, some led lights, Osram headlights, Pro Stop brakes, Pop Lock, AFE dry air filter with charcoal delete.
    I worked for toyota for 7 years and seen some odd things. Sometimes the dealer/sales, install items and call it a “special edition” and claim it’s OE. Sometimes these accessories are port installed and vary by ports to boost sales. I don't think they are OE but things may have changed. If they say toyota on the leds they are genuine toyota parts and if they don't they may or may not be toyota parts.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    IrishGuy[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. May 21, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I was wondering to myself....how are lights in the grill okay on them Fords? I realize that they've already gone through whatever process with the DOT, but is it the color? Is it calling them "clearance lamps"?

IrishGuy[OP] likes this.
  6. May 21, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    It's annual here.

The problem with lights is, if you have any non DOT approved or non compliant, they have to have acceptable covers. Doesn't matter if they're switched and home made covers won't cut it.

There's no money in an inspection if everything passes, but most places will do them because there's good money if something fails. The flip side is if they fail something that should pass, the State Police will pull their license and fine them. I know because I met with a State Trooper at a place that failed my wife's brakes about 25 years ago. So, to pass something that should fail may bring the state's wrath down. Especially if they're on probation.

I have three items that won't pass VA inspection, rear bumper lights, fogs and front window tint. Some places say my cooler holder is a headlight obstruction too. Fortunately I have a family member that's a licensed state inspector. Local Leo's can pull your for inspection violations, but being an old fat guy, I'm not profiled much, and if asked, I added that stuff after the inspection.

Sadly, the only options in VA are to comply with the code, or find an inspector with common sense and don't get him fired, or worse.

Norfolk757 and IrishGuy[OP] like this.
  7. May 21, 2019 at 6:59 PM
    trainracer

trainracer New Member

Member:
  8. May 21, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming

Turn them off. Just because they can be turned on shouldn’t matter. If that is the case any lightbar would cause an infraction. Right? Crazy. I’m so thankful I’m in a state that did away with the worthless annual inspections.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Cthulhu likes this.
  9. May 21, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    Tundzilla

Tundzilla New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Vehicle:
    2008 toyota tundra crewmaxp
    I say you plastidip them really good black go to the inspection and then just peel off after it! Simply

thalgott3 likes this.
  10. May 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    Man, so glad I live in a state where we don't have to deal with inspection BS.

Fishhead and Cthulhu like this.
  11. May 22, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    Unfortunately, VA has pretty strict inspection laws. I simply can not just disconnect them. If they are installed, then they are required to function. If they were not labeled DRL's, then I could just turn them off and it would be fine. Because they are labeled DRL's, they must deactivate when the headlights come on. Stupid semantics.

12. May 22, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    VTYOTA

VTYOTA I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2014 SS CM TRD
    Can they be turned off when the headlights are on? If they can be, just get a new plate for your switch and call it a day.

13. May 22, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    I usually take my vehicles to a local guy that I have used for years. I purchased the truck used last year and that guy was going to fail it because of the LED's but then he looked at them and they have the DOT label, so he passed it. This year I took it to Tread Quarters only because it is right across from my office and more convenient. I will not be taking it back to them again.

14. May 22, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
  15. May 22, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    What is crazy is that if I had a light bar without a cover and it is separately switched, it would pass. That is legal in VA. They relaxed the law last year about requiring a cover for those fixtures. Because it is labeled as DRL, they must deactivate when the headlights turn on, even though they do dim when the headlights come on and it does have a switch to override and turn them off completely. I asked him what the difference between those LED's and a light bar LED with a switch? No common sense.

16. May 22, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    trainracer

trainracer New Member

Member:
    have you thought about replacing the switch that is labeled with aux lights or light bar
    https://www.aironboard.com/online/products/switches/toyota-push-switches.html

17. May 22, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax - ADS Mid Travel
    ADS 2.5's (rear bypass) U748 Leaf Springs
  18. May 22, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    More random thoughts that occured to me this morning. If an inspector starts regurgitating "general illumination" again. Ask for specifics, like where the light intensity threshold is, exactly how many lumens, is there a light pattern standard and can you describe it? No? Then it sounds like a pass, let's ask your supervisor, run fetch them. These other people waiting in line won't mind....

19. May 22, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
  20. May 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM
    TomC843

TomC843 The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    switch.jpg

21. May 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    incredibillhulk

incredibillhulk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
  22. May 22, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    I did ask him to define what the definition of "general illumination" was, specifically the whole phrase "...general illumination ahead of the vehicle." I am an electrical designer for building design and lighting design is part of what I do so I was asking him to provide me specifics of exactly what you said (lumen output, light patterns, etc.) but he could not define it for me. I ended up calling the VA State Police to get clarification. A trooper came out to the location to look at the vehicle and he could not provide me with any specifics on what the his, or the state's, definition of "...general illumination ahead of the vehicle." was.

The trooper's solution was to take a video of the lights and send it to an inspector at one of the local Toyota dealerships and ask him if he would pass it or not. That inspector said that he would fail it. It seems to me that the trooper should be the one to decide that and not be asking some other inspector. I told the trooper that if he was not the one to make the decision and he is leaving it up to a survey, then he should call and ask the inspector that passed it last year and get his opinion.

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. May 22, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Haha! Nice! So what's your move? Take it back to the inspector that passed it in the past (see what I did there)?

This blows! Heck, where I live I don't even have to have fenders on my truck. But no inspections...

24. May 22, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    @incredibillhulk - Thank you for your response. Maybe you could add something here. I tried calling a toll free number on a website that I found but got no answer. Do you have a contact number that you could send to me so that I can ask someone some technical questions?

I checked out the link that you provided and it says the product:

• "SAE Certified to Meet or Exceed All OEM Quality Standards and D.O.T. Regulations"

25. May 22, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    Nice......I may end up just taking it to the other inspector. The problem is that VA is so anal about inspections that when something fails, they enter it into a statewide computer system that all other inspector's have access to and can see what has failed. I still think that it is subject to interpretation of the individual inspector.

26. May 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    incredibillhulk

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    You can reach that division of the company at (904) 374-6110.

27. May 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I encounter this scenario in my job. A state regulation can be more strict than the federal regulation but not more relaxed.

incredibillhulk likes this.
  28. May 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I'm sure that's to prevent owners from hitting all the inspection locations until they get one that'll pass them. Not unlike what has already been suggested, and what you're essentially going to try.

29. May 22, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    incredibillhulk

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    This.

These lamps are compliant with FMVSS 108 specs but not necessarily all state functionality regulations.

IrishGuy[OP] and Wynnded[QUOTED] like this.
  30. May 22, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    TXDrifter

TXDrifter BlueGrass Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra MGM DC
    Yeah I was going to buy one of those grills until i saw the price!

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top