1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and VA State Inspection

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by IrishGuy, May 21, 2019.

1. May 21, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    Can someone help me with a VA State Inspection question?

I have a 2015 Tundra SR5 Double Cab which has LED DRL's mounted in the grill that are controlled by an ON/OFF switch in the passenger compartment. The LED DRL's are DOT certified and are integral to the Toyota grill and are not an aftermarket lighting fixture. I purchased to vehicle used, but the original owner told me that he purchased the vehicle new with the LED's in the grill.

When the LED's are switched ON they serve as DRL's. When they headlights are turned ON, the DRL's remain ON but they dim down considerably so that they are no longer contributing the general illumination ahead of the vehicle. My vehicle is also equipped with Driving Lights. So when the headlights and the driving lights are on, the LED DRL's are still on, but they dim down to at least 20-30% of the original brightness.

The issue is that it failed VA State Inspection because the inspector said that "No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle." That verbiage is directly from the VA State Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual.

The four lamp statement is pretty clear but I think the whole sentence is open to interpretation, in particular, the last part of the sentence, "...to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle." The DRL's dim when the headlights are turned on and are no longer providing "general illumination ahead of the vehicle."

Anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Thank you. IMG_3598.jpg IMG_3599.jpg

2. May 21, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Usually useless to argue with a state inspection station. Best thing to do is just follow their rules for the inspection and then Move on. So unplug/turn off or remove the grille lights for the inspection and once you leave, put back in. I’m in VA and had an inspector fail me for a cracked lense on fog light. Went out to the parking lot, removed the light and pass inspection.

3. May 21, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    mlucas555

mlucas555 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab
    Still rocking the stock height.
    I would say that if you have an on/off switch for the lights in the grille, then turn them off before you go in and get it re-inspected.

Black@Blue19 likes this.
  4. May 21, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Turn them off, easy. I'm not even sure why you wasted your time asking the lot of us. If the inspector sniffles because he can still see them, put blue painters tape over them. Those actually look tastefully done btw. :thumbsup:

5. May 21, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My point is that they are factory installed DRL's, not aftermarket add-ons. They are embedded as part of the grill. Why would they not pass inspection? It passed inspection last year.

Covering them with tape in not an option in VA. If lights are covered, the cover must be a factory made cover for that light fixture.

I can not simply remove them because they are a part of the grill.

I can not just turn them off because they are still functional and can still be turned on.

I can not just unplug them because in VA if there is a light fixture, it must be functional.

6. May 21, 2019 at 12:11 PM
    Makoy339

Makoy339 Simplicity = Reliability !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD
    TRD parts
    My suggestion: Borrow a factory grill from a friend, swap out for a few hours, have it inspected then switch everything back.

Cthulhu likes this.
  7. May 21, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    TomC843

TomC843 The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    That might be a dealer added grill but 99% sure not factory grill.

TXDrifter, Sas, Jengel451 and 2 others like this.
  8. May 21, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Ahhhh....FWIW, that is NOT factory, someone simply did some quality custom work or it's an aftermarket grill insert.

Edit: Would you be able to post a picture of the aforementioned "switch"?

Random wonder: Why would the switch be installed on the passenger side?

9. May 21, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    The switch is in the "passenger compartment," the cab. It is on the driver's side to the left and slightly below the steering wheel and has a backlit pilot light and is labeled DRL.

10. May 21, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
  11. May 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    VTYOTA

VTYOTA I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2014 SS CM TRD
    Do you have a better picture of the grille? It's hard to tell, but I don't think I have ever seen a factory grille that looks like that. Depending where you are in VA, I can let you borrow my factory grill.

Wynnded likes this.
  12. May 21, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Oooooh! Please accept my apologies for my lack of reading comprehension, LOL. Ummm, still not factory. Nice attention to detail on the modification. With the DRLs in the headlamp housing, the ones in the grill are redundant, rather un-Toyota like.

Sas likes this.
  13. May 21, 2019 at 12:28 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I had to crank up the brightness on my screen just to see the T emblem, but it's there. The remainder of the insert is foreign to my eye though.

14. May 21, 2019 at 12:28 PM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    IMG_3442.jpg

This is the only other pic that I have right now. I am located in VA Beach.

15. May 21, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Anyone out there recognize if those headlamps are correct for the model year, they look like a little more recent variant.

As far as resolving your conundrum, the best that I can think of is the already suggested insert change-out.

16. May 21, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Never seen that option from Toyota. Pretty sure it’s not factory. I had a led light bar on top of my truck when I lived in VA. Had to buy a clip on cover off Amazon for about $30 and go back for inspection. Took it off after. I got pulled over by a trooper too and he said same thing. It has to be covered even though it was off.

Just unplug the lights and cover with tape for the inspection.

IrishGuy[OP] likes this.
  17. May 21, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    @Wynnded - There are no DRL's in the headlamp housing. So maybe the grill is something the dealer installed, not factory like the original owner told me, but it is a Toyota grill and the LED lights are part of the grill and can not be removed.

18. May 21, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    The orange lamps in your first post are your parking lamps then and can be turned off?

19. May 21, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    VTYOTA

VTYOTA I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2014 SS CM TRD
    Yeah, those headlights should be correct, looked like my 2014 headlights before I changed them out to LED PROs.

Too bad I am in SW VA otherwise I would have let you borrow mine. Also, the grille appears to be an aftermarket billet version.

20. May 21, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    No, the orange lamps can not be turned off.

21. May 21, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Platinum Crewmax Tundra
    8" Lift, 22x10 Fuel Forged FF19, 37x13.50r22 Trail Grapplers, Amp Research steps, Spyder black smoked headlights with 35w HID's, all interior lights LED, Undercover tonneau.
    That may be a dealer installed grille, but it isn't factory, definitely aftermarket. Here's a link to one on eBay.
    https://ebay.us/vfoAU1

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  22. May 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Then those are your true factory DRLs.

IrishGuy[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  23. May 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Those are not factory. Its am aftermarket grill and aftermarket lights and switch. While tastefully done with an OEM look. Nothing about them is OEM.

IrishGuy[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  24. May 21, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I can see the switch in the bottom left hand corner of the pic.

Whoa! Spendy too.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    IrishGuy[OP] likes this.
  25. May 21, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    IrishGuy

IrishGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Vehicle:
    The DRL Switch turns the LED lights on/off.

Thank you for all the feedback guys. I appreciate you taking the time to give a response.

Wynnded likes this.
  26. May 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Ya, I got that part. Hahaha. I think I'm on the right page now.....

27. May 21, 2019 at 12:47 PM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    VA state inspections can suck - esp if you get a mechanic who's looking to make extra money on work that really isn't necessary. For this - sounds like the guy is just being unreasonable. I'd definitely take it somewhere else. You're wasting your time trying to get through to them. Another garage will know it already failed cause of the nice pretty "failed" sticker they gave you (I'm in VA, too) - but explain up front what happened & why he failed you. Then ask up front if they would pass for such a thing (extra lights that you can TURN OFF). If they say they'd pass DRLs like that, have them to do the inspection. Call around till you find a shop that will pass it.

I can't imagine guys with light bars (which I will eventually get) have this issue all over VA. No way. It's not illegal to have the lights you have - I'd even argue it's not illegal to have all 6 on (driving lights, LED DRLs, fog lights) cause like you said - the LED DRLs don't really contribute to illumination. (But...I can see the gray area.) Likewise, it's not illegal to have two light bars on the truck - one in hood buldge & one in bumper. Lots of folks do it. But you can't drive down the road w/ them on. They're for offroad use - that's the answer when questioned.

IrishGuy[OP] and VTYOTA like this.
  28. May 21, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    Vr0ck

Vr0ck New Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 5.7 MGM DC 4x4
    Toytec Boss C/O, Toytec Shackles, 5160s, nfab step bars, 8" BAMuffler, OVTune, AuxBeam LEDs, Vahalla protection plates
    I got dinged for VA state inspection for my lightbar behind the grille...a week before its due I just pop off the grille and disconnect it.

Hey OP, I have a stock grille off my 2016 I can sell you.

I am also in Va Beach. Let me know if your interested.

IrishGuy[OP] likes this.
  29. May 21, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    The only way to make them legal is to remove or cover. But like you said, the cover has to be designed for the light. Find another inspector, slip him a 10 if needed.

IrishGuy[OP] likes this.
  30. May 21, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    That sucks...maybe most of them do have to fail it. What do I know... All you had to do was disconnect the bar & they'd pass it?

IrishGuy[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top