1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lease new 1794? Or wait and buy new Limited?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Jaybird79, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Mar 19, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    shulsy

shulsy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamey
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum Hybrid
    I’d go platinum over limited. I just bought last week and test drove both. The seat difference is just huge and the cost difference isn’t that much ($2K).

2. Mar 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    This is the best advice on here. But assuming you have enough coin or will in the near future, negotiate the lowest possible price regardless of the finance term, then pay the whole loan balance off in a few months.

NCSkeeter likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    NCSkeeter

NCSkeeter New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Tundra Crewmax 4x4 1794
    TRD Rear Sway Bar, Truxedo X15 Tonneau Cover, Toyota OEM Bed Mat
    This...but even one step further. Don’t negotiate sales price. Negotiate off the lot total. That way they don’t try to sneak in dealer fees etc right at the end...

This is what I did. We reached a price I was happy with. Then I got 0% for 36 on top of that.

Cement[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 19, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    Jaybird79

Jaybird79 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    future Tundra owner!!
    N/A
    I know I kind of messed by asking for a price for a truck that was in another state. Not a lot of incentive to them to sell me a truck they don't have. Then again they can wait until their inventory fills up.

But, if I will stick to my guns, and see what happens. Not going to put my foot down on the offer until I talk to the wife. This is a big decision.

5. Mar 19, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum 4X4, 1997 Tacoma 4x4
    Longer list than the wife needs to know about....
    I would say neither option.
    It doesn't sound like you need a new truck now or so i'm assuming since you are talking about waiting until the end of the year for a limited.
    I would suggest waiting to buy the truck you want.
    Pulling the trigger on a truck you cannot afford is going to lead to anxiety and stress devaluing the enjoyment of your new truck.
    Leasing a truck is going to drive up how much you finally end up paying for the truck in the end, do the math on the total and make sure you are comfortable paying that much.
    Settling for a truck you can afford but not 100% what you want could lead to some buyers remorse, especially when in 2-3 years you can afford the model you want.
    Since it sounds like you know exactly what you want I'd suggest waiting a year and getting exactly the truck you want when it makes the most finical sense for your situation.
    plus there is a small chance the new model will be released in the meantime which may influence your decision on its own.

Jaybird79[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 19, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    I represent some of this statement.lol my 08 tundra I wouldn't let go for less the 23k at this point am I crazy maybe but I don't think so. Lol Btw that's what I gave for it 3 yrs ago now only has 82k miles Worth it in my opinion.

7. Mar 20, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    Jaybird79

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    future Tundra owner!!
    N/A
    This is the thread that hits the nail on the head for me. I don't need the truck now, am getting impatient, and the experience so far isn't pleasant. My wife said that I should wait as well and that she doesn't want any car payment, no matter how small it is. We are lucky to be debt free and she wants to keep it that way. Plus this truck is a huge WANT, and not a need. She is more reasonable than me, as I tend to get excited about things.

The saleswoman was being sketchy anyways. She took the focus away from the price, and then recanting about the agreed upon trade in value of my Outback, saying she needs "need pictures, and mileage." I think she was sensing that if I was firm on %0.9 and 47k, she would try to lower the value of my trade in to get more financial leverage over me. Something in my gut said I should stop, and I did.

At the end of the year I will sell my Outback privately, make MUCH more money than I would on a trade, and get a used, low mile 1794. Of if I really want a new truck I will save a few more months and I save for an even longer time. I plan not to settle for a Limited, as I know I'll have buyers remorse.

Thanks for all your help guys. I just need to be patient and stop obsessively looking at Tundras until I am actually ready to sell my car and buy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Mar 20, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    Man I am the same way you are making the right choice what I do is not really obsess over it just keep an eye out never know what you may find one day out of the blue

9. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I financed through Toyota so that I can let them feel all warm and fuzzy about their interest-rate. Got the deal I was happy with. Then I just went to my credit union after the first month and refinanced it. Took a couple grand right off the top. Also got a refund on my gap insurance and purchased that through my credit union for considerably less.

10. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    Cement

Cement ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Trundra TRD
    Good on you Jaybird. Sincerely.

A suggestion for when it comes time: look into working thru a broker. If you're lucky enough to have a quality one in your area (search Yelp and really study the reviews; in my experience the "best" usually aren't multi person companies but rather single individuals who do this work and built their reputation on customer loyalty and word of mouth), you'll probably never buy a car without using one again. For a nominal fee (mine charges $400 flat, for reference), they become your advocate. You tell them exactly what you want, and they go to work while you sit back and enjoy your day. They tap their contacts (almost always bypassing the usual sales people in favor of working directly with fleet managers), and come back with exactly what you want, with the absolute best cash purchase price you'll find. Mine even encouraged me to shop the quote he gave me; I did the first time, but was told half a dozen times by dealers they couldn't come close to matching, much less beating the price. I stopped bothering after that. And most brokers can help work financing too AFTER the cash price has been settled, if that's what you decide to do.

Then, when the day comes, you literally meet them at the dealer, you both scrutinize the vehicle together looking for issues, then sign the papers they've already arranged and have ready for you, and you're out the door. No screwing with the run around, no internal battle as you try to decide on a vehicle that's close, but not perfect, no multile "I'll check with my manger" visits, no upsell attempts by the finance guy... I was in and out in 1/2hr when I bought the Tundra.

Also, your broker may come back and say what you want isn't available, but can/will walk you thru the process of ordering from the factory in the exact config you want (again working with the fleet manager at whatever dealership). Just be willing to wait somewhere around 4-6 weeks from order to delivery. But this way, you get precisely what you're looking for, custom built for you, with nothing you don't want or have to pay for.

There's something to be said for doing the heavy lifting yourself. But I've been there done that. Having a broker do it for me changed my experience so completely I just wont ever do the dealership walk on thing again if I don't absolutely have to.

Food for thought.

PS: Also in my experience, that same broker can/will sell your vehicles for you too. Soooo nice not to have to mess with the craigslist tire kickers. In this last case, I needed to sell a specialty vehicle (aka not in high demand). My broker tried to sell it for me but got little traction at the price I was asking, so he got creative. Worked a trade in deal with the same dealer I bought the Tundra from, for stupid good trade in money, that when combined with a few other financial bonuses I had no clue about ended up netting me MORE than we were asking for via private party sale.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  11. Mar 20, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    Tzvia

Tzvia Just an old woman in a pickup truck.

Member:
    Los Angeles County
    Vehicle:
    2019 5.7L Limited TRD Off Road 4x4
    Just a Bed Rug and Snugtop XTRA Vision
    salmonator FTW. When I negotiated my new Tundra and the last, I went for lowest price of truck first. They kept doing the 'X amount a month' and I basically said 'STOP, I can figure out the monthly on my phone, based on the price of the truck which you guys need to give me, + an average interest rate to ballpark it. So let's start there first.' Then deal with any incentives, deals on add-ons if you want any, then deal with interest rate. But without the price of the truck we aint going anywhere. Hate it when they talk monthly payments. I'm not buying a monthly payment, not driving a monthly payment, not putting gas in a monthly payment. Don't bring up leasing, not interested in that wormhole. It's a dirty dance, in a bad way, I lead as much as I can and will dance out the door if they start doing funny. They brought up trade-in, I just said "it's old you don't want it" to stop that side-track real quick. Sold my old truck myself two weeks later. Car buying shouldn't be such a crappy run-around but it is, and if you let them control the dance they will have your head spinning real quick so focus on one thing at a time.

And when they make you sit around for 15 minutes + that's another of their games. Trying to wear you down and make you antsy. Go eat all the bagels or drink all the coffee and chill, or get up and leave when they pull that crap. They know what they can do the moment you provide a price you are willing to pay and they are playing with your head at that point.

kparrow likes this.
  12. Mar 20, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    Jaybird79

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    future Tundra owner!!
    N/A
    This whole situations reminds me of this:

13. Mar 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    xX1794TRDXx

xX1794TRDXx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White 1794 Edition
    TRD Exhaust, Grille Guard w/ 2 KC Lights, Running Boards, TRD Intake, Etc
    Honestly, I think you should get the platinum. The interior seems much nicer, and the bumpers, are colored. It has a nice grille too, so that’s a plus. There’s no TRD OR package, sooo.

14. Mar 21, 2019 at 5:46 AM
    Jaybird79

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    future Tundra owner!!
    N/A
    It looks nicer in many ways, but I love the wheels and Off Road suspension of the TRD package. Then again, I've never driven a Platinum before. Maybe later this year before I actually buy I will test drive one. The interior does look realllllly nice! Not a fan of 20" wheels though.

xX1794TRDXx[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 21, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    kparrow

kparrow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    Agreed. When I bought mine we talked price on the phone. Told me we were in the ballpark of what I wanted to spend. Showed up with my wife, took it on a test drive, looked it over and determined we wanted it. Walked inside, sat down and talked price before any financing. I said $19k out the door w/$2k down. I won’t go a penny more. Came back 3-5 minutes later with an offer of exactly that with a good finance rate. In-out-DONE in under an hour from start to finish, just the way it should be. Sold my POS Malibu 3 days later for $1800. Much more than I would have got on trade. Only paid $3800 for it when I bought it at 17 and kept it for about 7 years. I think I made out alright

Products Discussed in

To Top