1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking Axle Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by halfbid, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Jul 16, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    halfbid

halfbid [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra
    I just got a 2006 DC. I have a couple of items I need to work on and wanted to get some input on a few questions I have.

The first thing I’m wondering about is the axle. The boots look intact and the truck is not lifted. They are both leaking, but the passenger side is much worse. I forgot to take pics of the grease it was slinging before I cleaned it, but I do have a cleaned up pic I’ll post. Later, when I went back out in the garage there was the strong, unmistakable smell of gear oil. So I’m thinking the main problem might be the seals are leaking which is allowing gear oil to get into the axle grease, thinning it down and allowing it to seep out under the band where the boot is secured to the tulip.

The truck was taken care of at the dealership for all but its last service where it was taken to some type of oil change outfit I hadn’t heard of. I’m wondering if the leaking seals could be from the wrong weight gear oil in the diff. If someone did put the wrong gear oil in the diff would just draining it and refilling with the correct oil be good enough? I don’t know if this happened, but I do wonder if it might be the reason both seals appear to have gone bad about the same time.

I went ahead and ordered two boot kits and the seals. Can anyone tell me what tools I need for the factory band clamps? I know there is some discussion/debate about whether to use the factory style bands or aftermarket hose clamps. At this point I’m going to stick with the factory clamp and leave the other clamp as a future option if/as needed.

Also, are the axles Toyota OEM? I believe they are, but I’m hoping someone can confirm.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

831Tun likes this.
  2. Jul 16, 2020 at 2:10 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Interested in your diy pics. Another member ordered the rebuild boot kit from Toyota, but they didn’t fit for some reason. Not sure if yours are OEM or not. The 0C010 may indicate they are OEM.

halfbid[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    99% sure those are OEM axles. Mine had that same exact sticker which is the part number.

upload_2020-7-16_17-15-7.jpg

halfbid[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 16, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    Bubbadog

Bubbadog New Member

Member:
    I recently bought the CV boot kit for my 2001 access cab and they did not fit. My CV axle was original.

halfbid[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I don't see how differential fluid somehow caused the axles to throw grease. It's not that uncommon for those boots to lose grease over time. The boots look to be in good shape.

There is a seal on each side of the differential. It sounds like you suspect those of leaking? We were just discussing this job in another thread recently. The passenger side is a bit tricky to replace correctly.

Here is that thread.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/leaking-axle-seal.70333/

halfbid[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 16, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    halfbid

halfbid [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra
    Thanks for the replies. I suspected the gear oil was leaking into the axle grease because of the strong odor. I assumed the inner seal was leaking and allowing the gear oil into the axle. But I don’t have a lot of mechanical experience so I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to be wrong.

Thanks for the link to the thread. I was aware of the tight margin for error on the seal. I’m a little surprised there isn’t a tool to make sure you can get the seal in there just right. I hope I will be able to pull it off.

Can you tell me a little more about what happened and what you ended up doing? Where did you get the kit? Do you have any tips on how to determine if I get the wrong kit before I tear it apart?

7. Jul 17, 2020 at 3:55 AM
    Bubbadog

Bubbadog New Member

Member:
    I bought the CV boot kit through Amazon. It was the OEM Toyota boot kit. I checked three different online vendors before ordering to make sure the kit was supposed to fit my 2001 access cab 4x4 V8 Tundra. All of those vendors gave me the same part number for the CV boot kit. I have owned my truck since it was new so I am certain I have the original axles. One of the boots was too small and one was too big. Unfortunately, I did not know for sure until I had my axle out of the truck and I was trying to install the new CV boots. I ended up going to my local Advanced Auto Parts store and buying a new aftermarket axle to complete the job. In the future, I don't think I will try to replace the CV boots again. I will just get a new complete CV axle. Best of luck with your situation.

8. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:02 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I wonder where I heard this advice before?:D

Seriously, I’d still like to understand why the boot kit doesn’t work. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Good write up.

halfbid[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 17, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    Bubbadog

Bubbadog New Member

Member:
    I suppose other forum members convinced me the OEM axles were so much better than aftermarket, they were worth saving.

halfbid[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 17, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    halfbid

halfbid [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra
    @Bubbadog Thank you for taking the time to fill me in, I appreciate it.

11. Jul 17, 2020 at 1:24 PM
    abcinv

abcinv OEM (+) Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    South of ATL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4X4 Limited Dbl Cab
    Always an option (especially if lifted) -
    IMG_2972 (1).jpg

halfbid[OP] likes this.
  12. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    Bubbadog

Bubbadog New Member

Member:
    No problem, good luck.

halfbid[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 17, 2020 at 10:53 PM
    Oregon 2006 Tundra

Oregon 2006 Tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra TRD Limited Double Cab
    Spray-in Bedliner
    Details on those red boots? Having grease leakage issues as well with a 2 1/2" front leveling lift.

14. Jul 17, 2020 at 11:15 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    The CV is completely separate from the Diff and it's pretty much impossible for the diff fluid to leak into the boot. The majority of the leakage issues with the boots stem from the OEM style clamps, they're a beeeotch to get right. I've found that Norma 9mm wide hose clamps work the best. They have rolled edges (need to verify when ordering) so they won't cut the boots and are narrower than standard hose clamps. They're pretty easy to find with google. The barrel of the outer most hose clamp is SUPER close to my UCA but it does clear.

15. Jul 18, 2020 at 3:20 AM
    abcinv

abcinv OEM (+) Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    South of ATL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4X4 Limited Dbl Cab
  16. Jul 19, 2020 at 1:55 PM
    Oregon 2006 Tundra

Oregon 2006 Tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra TRD Limited Double Cab
    Spray-in Bedliner
  17. Aug 9, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    halfbid

halfbid [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra
    Well, this project didn't get off to what I'd consider a great start…..

image0.jpg

…..but I managed to get the project done pretty much without issues. I do have a few tips which might be helpful for anyone attempting this repair. Overall I wouldn’t rate it as difficult, but it is an extremely messy job! When I get some free time I’ll post a thread with some pics and things I learned.

image1.jpg

18. Aug 14, 2020 at 12:42 AM
    halfbid

halfbid [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC Tundra
    I’ve been meaning to write up a post on this, but I’ve been really busy and just haven’t been able to find the time to get anything written down. But, I’d encourage anyone who is considering a reboot of their Toyota axles to give it a go. It isn’t especially hard and if I can do it I'm sure most of you can pull it off too. I replaced both inner axle seals and neither one is leaking after two weeks. This was something that actually terrified me because I’d read about so many people having problems with leaks after the installation and the last thing I wanted to do was pull the axle again and replace the seal.

Products Discussed in

To Top