1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LANE KEEP ASSIST/Centering - do you use it?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Kap1, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Dec 12, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    DFS

DFS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Capstone Tundra
    Adaptive cruise was excellent, lane centering also worked very well, though the reminder vibration was over kill in usual Toyota fashion. Overall very functional and well implemented driver assists.

4genRunner and Kap1[OP] like this.
  2. Dec 12, 2022 at 12:01 PM
    Rockgate

Rockgate New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 CMLB TRD OR Prem. 4X4 and 2002 RCLBV65Spd
    I like the radar cruise control, use it all the time. It's really great when you're in stop and go traffic. The lowest you can set it is 19mph BUT it will keep pace with what your behind, down to a stop. If you don't completely stop, it'll speed back up. If you do stop, you just tap the gas or cruise up button I think. The lane warning is convenient since it has kept me on the road a time or 2. The lane centering though, I usually have it off. Like another one said , it bumps me from line to line. And I've had the lane assist try to correct after going over a line and try to put my in the next lane. Not good when it's just a 2 lane hwy.

bulldog93 and Kap1[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 12, 2022 at 12:29 PM
    DesmoDoe

DesmoDoe New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 SO TRD Pro
    Use both on the highway, but turn off lane assist features when there is packed snow on the roads, it gets confused with where markings are. I think it works really well and am looking forward to summer time when the roads will be much better to use it.

4. Dec 12, 2022 at 9:51 PM
    Dave Roni

Dave Roni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra Limited
    Stock
    I think the centering feature tests you to see if you’re paying attention... Waiting for the resultant DUI test.

Driving a lot of country (poorly marked) is achallenge sometimes, while freeway driving is great.

My “Limited” model has one button. Short press switches centering. Long press switches lane assist… or so it seems.

I just have to remember, they call it assist for good reason. Ya still gotta drive.

Kap1[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 13, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    Ullose272

Ullose272 New Member

Member:
    Boise, Id
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra SR5 TRD OR
    i like the radar cruise, i hate the lane keep assist. the lane centering kinda makes me nauseous

6. Jan 14, 2023 at 12:42 PM
    TexasTacoma713

TexasTacoma713 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5
    This lane assist is garbage compared my Subarus iSight.. Completely surprised how terrible it is compared to Subarus

7. Jan 14, 2023 at 1:26 PM
    DeafJam

DeafJam New Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tundra Hybrid, 1794 edition
    Cosmetics for for a pavement princess.
    I use both. No real issues with lane keep assist with my use case, but the majority of my miles are highway miles.

8. Jan 14, 2023 at 2:32 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    I just recently noticed that the lane centering feature only works on slight turns and if turns are not too twisty. If a turn is anything more than about 45* degrees or so then the lane centering features isn't keeping up at all...

So it's mostly for straight lane highways, with bright clearly marked lane marks... And you better make sure to help it get through any turn above 40* degrees or so

Still a helpful feature for long drives on straight roads in my opinion

9. Jan 14, 2023 at 2:43 PM
    RovingMedics

RovingMedics New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army Green Tundra Limited
    the Lane Assist was giving me a few false positives. Not sure why. I disabled the feature.

I do use the adaptive cruise control on long stretches of highway, though. it's been reliable.

10. Jan 14, 2023 at 2:44 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Mine has been 95% spot on, works pretty well as long as lanes are clearly marked and turns aren't steeper than 40* or so.

You can take it to dealer so they can re calibrate it maybe

11. Jan 14, 2023 at 2:47 PM
    RovingMedics

RovingMedics New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army Green Tundra Limited
    it's almost certainly our roads. it was getting confused on concrete sections of highway with paint lines all over the place. unfortunately in our area, that's *a lot* of the roadways. lol. it was working ok when out on regularly maintained roads, but I didn't want to hav to keep switching it off and on.

12. Jan 14, 2023 at 5:40 PM
    firehawk003

firehawk003 New Member

Member:
    The lane assist does not work nearly as well as my wife’s old Honda CR-V. The Tundra stays in the lane, but it seems to work the steering wheel pretty often just to stay straight. The Honda was very few adjustments with the wheel unless needed.

13. Jan 14, 2023 at 5:46 PM
    gj953

gj953 New Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 Hybrid TRD OR Blueprint
    So, over the holidays, we were in another country, and rented a toyota (carola or about that level - models are different there, so similar) with lane assist - It was like a generation or so behind my 2023 Tundra - and was set to beep every time the driver went outside the lanes... lol - I heard it way to many times when my step son was learning to drive on the left hand side of the road. I gave him a fair amount of grief over it, but didn't tell him how to disable it. It kept him on his toes.

14. Jan 14, 2023 at 10:10 PM
    GoTTi74

GoTTi74 New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Ltd TRD OR CM LB
    I use it on the highway and find it more relaxing to drive… the beeping, especially the false ones, are a little annoying but I changed it to vibrating steering wheel and now it’s quiet but still working.

15. Jan 15, 2023 at 1:11 AM
    Bourbonator

Bourbonator New Member

Member:
    North ID
    Vehicle:
    '23 LE CM 6.5
    I use none of it. I've rented vehicles for road trips with all the crap, driven my dad's car with all the crap, and even tried the Tundra's system for a few days. It never made my driving experience more pleasant or safer.

In fact, the highlander I rented and drove through a whiteout literally tried to drive me off the road because the lane centering never knew where the lane was. I had to fight the steering wheel for two hours. Couldn't disable it like we can on the Tundra.

16. Jan 15, 2023 at 6:19 AM
    Perpendicular

Perpendicular New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 Capstone
    I wish the lane centering worked on Toyota's as well as other makes.

Just WAIT till an overpass freaks it out - it will change lanes if you aren't paying attention.

17. Jan 18, 2023 at 8:02 AM
    AW818

AW818 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited
    Westcott lift, 35 BFG KO2, Race Relation 17inch wheels
    Same story with me. Adaptive cruise works really well, the lane assist has almost gotten me in accidents because of how harshly it corrects. My wife's Kia Telluride has the same feature but it runs WAY more smoothly, almost to the point you don't feel it working.

gj953 likes this.
  18. Jan 18, 2023 at 8:05 AM
    obgod3

obgod3 New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited
    Love adaptive cruise, was so happy to get it in the new tundra, hated that I had it in all my other cars but not in my 08 Tundra. Im not a fan of lane keeping assist, in any of my cars, well when Im sleeping its ok ...LMAO.

gj953 likes this.
  19. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:27 AM
    Dos Cylindros

Dos Cylindros New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Edition Smoked Mesquite
    Radar cruise is a game changer. I love using it for medium to long freeway trips. I used the lane keep and lane centering feature for a while but finally found it more annoying than useful so I shut it off.

gj953 likes this.
  20. Jan 22, 2023 at 1:34 PM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    Just got my Tundra and tried this stuff. Adaptive cruise is great, although the distance control is a little odd as compared to some I have used in that the farthest distance is almost about what I would call normal following distance. Other vehicles that I have driven let you set a much more relaxed distance if you want. Not a big deal, just different.

The Lane tracing assist is terrible, IMO. It doesn't even come close to keeping the truck centered and it even will cross the lines depending on the curvature and the angle of approach. Get the warning and assist but I had expected much better. I had a Camry rental way back when that had the first generation of this tech and it was better. That thing would actually make some pretty good curves on its own. Not centered in the lane but not leaving the lane either. Then you read reports of Honda's lane centering and the editors say it tracks right down the middle like a laser. That's what I was hoping for. Maybe it will get better with an OTA update.

gj953 and Kap1[OP] like this.
  21. Jan 23, 2023 at 9:33 AM
    mayan

mayan Texas BBQ and Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mayan
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2023 SM Tundra Limited
    How do you adjust the settings? What are the smoothest settings?

22. Jan 23, 2023 at 10:29 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    OK, and this is almost funny... I looked at the manual and there are a few settings for these functions on the multi-information display. Scroll to the right screen, then scroll to LTA, then hold down the OK button to get to its detailed settings. On my Tundra Lane Centering was off so all I was getting whether adaptive cruise was engaged or not is the edge of the lane warnings and assists. So, it is no wonder that lane centering was terrible. LOL. I just changed that to "on", but have not tested it. I expect much better results next time. Not sure why the default for this would have been off.

Tundra_LTA.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  23. Jan 23, 2023 at 8:43 PM
    ArmyGreen2022

ArmyGreen2022 New Member

Member:
    1. Whats your opinion about it? Ok or terrible?
    Slightly better than terrible. I'll use it if I'm on a straight, deserted road with good lines and feel comfortable not watching the road for a while. Otherwise it ping-pongs, corrects too hard for my light boat on a trailer (~1500lbs boat + trailer), is bad at following turns, and in traffic tends to put me too close to other cars, both going the same direction like on an interstate and too close to oncoming traffic on 2-way roads.

2. Do you use Lance keep assist? (one that bumps you into the lane if you go over the lane)
    No, other than the special case above

3. Do you use Lane Centering? (one that keeps your truck in center of the lane)
    No, other than the special case above.

3.1 How about adaptive cruise control?
    Love it. Massively improves the driving experience. On a 12-hour drive it drastically reduced my fatigue since I didn't have to constantly manage my following distance (from MD to AL, mostly on I-81). My minor gripes on the ACC are that it wont follow close enough in traffic, even on the closest setting, to keep people from cutting in front of you, and it could do better when coming to full stops such as at traffic lights. It does really bad when approaching a stopped car at any speed. Have to brake manually and earlier for that case.

4. Do you use Lane Centering on twisty roads? How twisty?
    No

5. How does Tundra Lane Centering compare to your other cars with this feature?
    Compared to an older Ford Ranger rental (2018 maybe?) and newer (2022?) VW (something) mid-size rental SUV in Europe, it's about the same. Same complaints, same failures. I turned it off in every vehicle I've had it in.

Kap1[OP] likes this.
  24. Jan 24, 2023 at 12:09 AM
    dowdydl

dowdydl New Member

Member:
    I turned off my lane centering feature because I couldn't take that vibration and the way it makes my truck feel when I'm driving. I do like the radar cruise control.

25. Jan 24, 2023 at 12:57 AM
    Kap1

Kap1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Based on the many replies...

I wonder if some people don't have the Lane Centering enabled and are only using lane keep assist thinking they have all features enabled

raylo likes this.
  26. Jan 24, 2023 at 1:15 AM
    dowdydl

dowdydl New Member

Member:
    I didn't know it was possible to have the lane keep assist enabled without the lane centering. I thought it came as a pair.

27. Jan 24, 2023 at 2:51 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    LTA works to warn and assist at the edges of the lanes whether adaptive cruise is on or not, but the lane centering function will only work when adaptive cruise is enabled AND the centering function is also enabled in the detailed submenu options. Otherwise alls you have is the same as when LTA is engaged with adaptive cruise off, i.e., warning and assist at the lane edges. One would think that the default would be "on" but in my case it was "off". Not sure if that was intentional and how they all are setup, or if it was just me. I still haven't tested it yet. Later today.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  28. Jan 24, 2023 at 2:52 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    That was my point. That's exactly what I thought when I made my first post (#50 above) about how bad it was. Mine was off by default and I did not know that it had to be enabled in the submenu until I RTFM.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Kap1[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  29. Jan 26, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    Screwy Louie

Screwy Louie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra limited double cab with TRD pkg white
    I like the lane centering assist when driving in heavy crosswinds, let the truck do the work, or when that item you had on your center console ends up on the passenger's seat far right corner and you need to grab it!

Kap1[OP] likes this.
  30. Jan 27, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    I tried this the other day and it does work once it is enabled. D'ooohh. But I can't say it was really good, or even adequate in some of the conditions I tried it, which was a well marked interstate highway. The corrections it made were not as small, smooth, or precise as my human ones but it did a fairly good job of keeping the truck in its lane... until it got curvy and hilly. Then it struggled and a couple of times left the lane. Have to try it again in more varied conditions. And maybe try messing with the sensitivity setting, if that applies to the centering function. Not sure about that. It might really be good on long straight flat interstate stretches on road trips. If that proves to be true I will be happy. To me that is the situation I mostly want it for anyway. Although it would be great if it could handle curvy high traffic beltways in unfamiliar cities along the route on a road trip. I don't believe it is good enough to trust it for that yet. Hopefully Toyota will continue to refine the software.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top