1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ladder rack install on 04 with over the rails bedliner

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Four_pack, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Jan 30, 2023 at 6:08 PM
    Four_pack

Four_pack [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra double cab limited edition
    I have a 2004 tundra double cab limited edition with 6' bed. It has the stock bed liner that comes up over the rails. I am buying a 32' ladder I need to be able to transport. Without having to cut the bedliner, anybody have experience with a ladder rack model that will work with this truck? This is the only ladder I will need to transport and having a rack that I could also use for a kayak would be really nice. Researching ladder racks shows there are "no drilling required" types but they clamp onto the rails and my bed liner covers the rails. Is there a ladder rack that can be used without cutting a bed liner?

2. Jan 30, 2023 at 7:20 PM
    shifty`

shifty` One great big festering neon distraction

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    My stock bedliner goes under the rails and has separate plastic covers on the top of the bedsides with little plastic caps over the stake pockets, which can be removed to install any number of gadgets, headache racks, etc. Is yours not the same? I was under the impression all OEM bedliners, and even the Pendaliners some have, were under-rail setups.

For kayaks I asked a similar question recently. My takeaway from the feedback was basically "drop the tailgate, get a bed net to hold it in", but you can take away what you want, here's the thread: https://www.tundras.com/threads/yakkin-inside-1st-gen-beds.94263/

3. Feb 2, 2023 at 3:31 AM
    Four_pack

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gm Shifty
    Thank you for your reply. I have those stake pockets and that's exactly what I thought they were good for - inserting posts. I have never used them, obviously, and strangely enough None of the 'rack store' websites I have searched show their products installed in those pockets. That's why I came here to ask.

Check out this HF Haulmaster 'Y' version for $105, 250 lb capacity & expands up to 34". I'm thinking it can handle ladder & kayak at the same time! Jk - I'd never do that. Thing is - it's bed mounted. I'd like something like it for those stake body holes. Maybe get a welder to cut off those feet? Anyhow, feedback / ideas is needed.

4. Feb 2, 2023 at 10:04 AM
    shifty`

shifty` One great big festering neon distraction

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    RealTruck is a vendor on the site, @SantanaRealtruck is one of the folks there.

I'd be surprised if they didn't know of a solution like you linked, or a headache bar solution that used the stake pockets. I have a veritable buttload of construction going on around me, and there are at least two 1st gen Tundras with headache car setups using the stake pockets. I just can't tell if they're custom jobs or not.

They have a lot of options in their racks & carriers section. I'm not sure if they offer a forum member discount like a lot of other Tundras.com vendors do:

https://realtruck.com/c/exterior-accessories/racks-carriers/

5. Feb 8, 2023 at 4:37 PM
    Four_pack

Member:
    Vehicle:

6. Feb 8, 2023 at 4:39 PM
    Four_pack

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just an update. Decided not to buy a ladder rack at this time. My only reason to buy one was to transport a ladder to a property I own out of state. Thanks for the reply.

shifty` likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top