1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just brought home a 2019 DC :) (Also, ran the trans temp flash update)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by vilord, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Jan 21, 2023 at 10:59 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    The Tundra actually doesnt have an engine oil temp sensor, my OBD tool has a PID for it but its actually just calculated by the ATF temperature and always justs stays a couple degrees of the ATF pan.

Tbrandt[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 21, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    Tbrandt

Tbrandt I read it on an internet forum, it must be true.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood DMX907S + Maestro iDatalink RR2 Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam Kicker Door Speakers TRD rear sway bar Firestone airbags + Daystar cradles Setrab oil cooler, OEM thermostat and hard lines Century High-C topper Bedrug Helmholtz resonator on stock exhaust Sound deadened + insulated cab Platinum 20s, hwy tires Viair 400P
    Good to know, thank you.

3. Jan 21, 2023 at 1:32 PM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    I see this too, was helping my dad clear out my uncle's apartment today and poked at the Maestro gauges while stuck in highway traffic (jackknifed tractor trailer stopped everything for about an hour). I can see the engine temp and trans pan temp but none of the others I was really hoping to see (gear position, t/c lockup status, t/c temp). Rather disappointing that it doesn't have an obvious way to add custom ones. Big miss there.

You're right that your truck has both the diagnostic and the body/highspeed CAN buses available at the head unit harness, I still need to plug in the harness for diag CAN, and I probably won't see check engine codes until I do... though for now I don't have any :). I haven't hooked up that cable yet, and it has been able to read the TPMS values and all the gauges except for fuel level without it. And even fuel might just be that I haven't configured it properly.

I emailed the ADS/Maestro people to see what sort of animal I need to sacrifice for them to let me add custom PIDs, will see if I get anywhere. Montreal's only 5 hours away, so I guess I could just drive up there and camp out in their lawn until they add them ;)

As for flashing, I had a knock-off GM MDI programming cable (by VXDIAG), and that cable has a J2534 passthrough mode that worked great. I would trust most of the mini VCI clones as long as changing parameters and loading live data through techstream works. As I mentioned, I ran the flash on the trailer brake controller first before touching the engine computer. If it failed and I bricked the trailer brake controller I could still drive the truck to the dealer and claim ignorance, not so with the ECM.

Joe333x and Retired...finally like this.
  4. Feb 23, 2023 at 4:51 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Today was my free oil change day at Eastern Shores in Spanish Fort Al. When I called to schedule they said I needed the phone home recall done which I didn't need since I'm not paying the phone bill. I did want the TSB 0087 done. After two hours I got neither done. Didn't need the recall since I didn't have an account (told them that) and the service writer was told by the tech if I had high transmission fluid temps to get a cooler. I'm calling the Toyota customer service number and ask them if my truck already had TSB 0087 or if it got it today.

This, ladies and gentlemen is why I prefer to do my own work.

Wallygator, vilord[OP] and Rocko9999 like this.
  5. Feb 23, 2023 at 5:19 PM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    I towed a 4000-ish lb trailer and maybe 500lbs in the bed down to Miami and back last week, we went a longer, hillier way through western North Carolina to meet up with a friend. I was only monitoring the pan temp as my radio's scan tool only checks that, but it never went over 233 degrees, and on the flats stayed around 218. Kept it in tow/haul and transmission in D. If I'd seen the pan temp climb over 250 I would have switched to S4, but it never did. Next time I do a heavy haul or if I need to move the boat I'll get Torque monitoring the torque converter temp too, but at least for now I'm happy with how the truck is handling/running. It's not the Allison 1000 from my 2500, but I'm not complaining so far!

6. Mar 14, 2023 at 7:55 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    After three unreturned calls from the dealer I called the Toyota Customer Service and as usual got right in. They said the TSB 0087 does apply to my vehicle and they would call the dealer and escalate. I asked that they not do this at this point and I'd try again. I called the dealer a forth time and mentioned that I refused to get corporate involved but expected a call back and that I was going to be in the area on Friday at 9:30 AM and felt assured they would be able to fit me in. Not holding my breath.

7. Mar 17, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Eastern Shores called me back and I went in today for the T-SB 0087-21. The usual rigmarole with the dealer but in the end I got the update. Here's what I noticed: In the higher gears the TC remains locked longer when in 6th gear and adding throttle. Previously, under similar throttle settings and loads the TC would unlock and if more throttle added a downshift occurred. On one section of 55 MPH 2 lane with some mild hills I took note of how many times the TC unlocked and temps before and after. Prior to my TC temps went as high as 212 and post they hit 197. Not a perfect test since I don't know the elevation at each end and although there was a crosswind there may have been a slight head or tailwind component. I also noted the reduced TC unlock happens in drive, drive with T/H and S mode. I give the T-SB 0087-21 two thumbs up.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Wallygator and vilord[OP] like this.
  8. Mar 17, 2023 at 2:59 PM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Awesome report!!! Thank you for the pre/post review, that's an impressive improvement.

I wish the dealers were more willing to run the update for anyone who asks. The update software is dead simple and took only like 5-10 minutes at my house, so the dealer's computers probably do it faster, and they have the power supplies and so on so they don't need to do silly things like jumper cables to another car to keep the voltage right.

I did mine right after buying so didn't have anything useful to compare to, but even heavily loaded/towing down to Miami last month the behavior when I was driving it made me feel comfortable tossing the keys to my co-driver for the return trip.

Wallygator likes this.
  9. May 1, 2023 at 5:59 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    An update on the transmission software update. I apologize for the lack of meaningful numbers to make a good comparison before and after but there are just so many variables to keep track of. Last year I made the same drive without the update, similar load but with a good tailwind. I used T/H in drive with the cruise set at 65 MPH and didn't go far before I realized my transmission temps soared and it seemed to spent too much time hunting between 5 and 6. This year the winds were a crosswind with a slight headwind component and the transmission behavior was much better holding 6th longer and spending a lot less time with the TC unlocked. I then drove between 60-70 using gravity to assist and held the throttle steady to extend the time before the downshift and my pan temps seemed to stay close to 225*F. Still too high but only slightly warmer that using S4. Here's the odd part. I found no noticeable difference in MPG between driving in S4 or D.

I did like that anyone should be able to tow my 6,000# trailer in drive without toasting the transmission.

Wallygator likes this.
  10. Oct 11, 2023 at 9:49 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    I was going to do the trailer brake update but actually read the TSB and it shows that its only for vin BEFORE certain production numbers. The one closest matching my vin is 5TFAY5F1#KX835700 but mine is 837 so I am assuming the update does not apply to me. Was yours in the range of the TSB print out? Door sticker shows a build date of 3/19

Screenshot_20231012-021158_Photos.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top