1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just brought home a 2019 DC :) (Also, ran the trans temp flash update)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by vilord, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Jan 19, 2023 at 11:27 PM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Just brought home my 2019 DC a couple days ago. Already making some changes!
    As it was on the dealer lot:
    2.jpg

The rack and toolbox were a bit wobbly/loose, and the plow connections are all corroded (I'm a bit surprised, this is Fisher Fleetflex wiring...) so off they all came:
    PXL_20230119_190420674.jpg

Within hours of meeting, they'd already gotten nekkid!
    received_1365278070909757.jpg

Installing the latest ECM/TCM flash to reduce transmission temps towing on the highway:
    received_731621208399496.jpg

Pulled apart the console and dash to install a Kenwood/iDatalink Maestro setup for android auto/carplay/trans temp gauges/etc... Why yes, it was smoked in by the previous owner, how could you tell?
    PXL_20230119_185339838.jpg

WILLINH, Pmac, chugs and 10 others like this.
  2. Jan 20, 2023 at 4:14 AM
    JeremyTRD

JeremyTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra CM TRD OR
    Beautiful truck! It should treat you very well

vilord[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 20, 2023 at 4:27 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Welcome to the forum from OKC! Hope you got a sweet deal!

vilord[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 20, 2023 at 4:58 AM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Thanks! It feels good to be coming back to a Toyota, and I do hope it'll hold up well. My family always had Toyota trucks, I don't know if I was rebelling or what but now that the Tundras have tow capacity that competes with the other domestics I was ready to come back, even with the worse gas mileage.

I've been through a few trucks over the last 15 years... a '92 Chevy stepside (with a 5.7 and a manual transmission! should have kept this one!), an '02 Nissan Frontier with factory supercharger (lost oil and destroyed rings/scored cylinders), an '07 Chevy Silverado (rust! but also tow capacity was too low), an '09 GMC Sierra (didn't trust the tow capacity numbers based on my experience with the '07, and it had endless wiring problems), and most recently a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a duramax.

In the 2 years with the duramax something has broken on it every time I blink. When I dropped it off at the dealership, the front right ABS sensor was dying lighting up the dash with errors, the AC didn't get cold, the HVAC wouldn't switch to recirculate, it needed a head gasket, and the previous owner had taken off all the emissions equipment so i couldn't get it inspected in Massachusetts. And under all that it was rusting something fierce.

The 2019 has 100k miles already, and a bunch of scratches as it was used by a carpenter during that time as a work truck. With the trade from the 2500HD it was about 12K cash on top of that, so on the one hand, the duramax wasn't worth anywhere near its 'trade in' value, but on the other hand I could have spent 12K fixing the head gasket and ABS and AC and exhaust issues and I'd still have a 10 year old truck, with who knows what problem next. Instead I have this, so I'm very happy.

WILLINH, 2mchfun and el_conquistador like this.
  5. Jan 20, 2023 at 5:34 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    Do you have a actual Techstream account to be able to install updates? I have a version that works that I got off Amazon but never figured it could actually be used to download updates. Also what is this update to reduce trans temps? I have a 2019 and it's the first I've heard of it. I installed a cooler and now my temps dont go over 200° anyways but still curious.

ATV25 and Tundra234 like this.
  6. Jan 20, 2023 at 5:58 AM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    I paid for the 2-day access to techinfo and techstream, but it looks like it only needed the access to download the firmware files, not to flash them, so anyone could use the flash files even without an account if they install techstream and have a J2534 compatible cable.
    TSB for the firmware update attached. It doesn't detail the changes but says that the engine management logic is changed to "address this drive mode condition"... my assumption is that they updated it to lock up the converter more, since I can't think of any other engine/transmission change that would reduce fluid temp on the highway.

Installation at the dealership is covered under an 80,000 mile warranty extension (which I'm not eligible for at 102k). I downloaded all the firmware files for 4wd key-ignition trucks. I'll probably download the others as well in case someone wants to update theirs. You basically just hook up a stable 13V power source (hence my BMW and jumper cables), plug in the cable, double click the firmware update and it takes you through the procedure.

There's another TSB update for 'trailer disconnected' errors from the brake controller that i put on while i was at it. I did that one first as it felt safer :)

Attached Files:

7. Jan 20, 2023 at 6:18 AM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Before my account expires, I downloaded the rest of the ECM flash updates, there's a specific one for each model year, flex fuel vs non flex, different fuel tank sizes, key vs smart start, 2wd vs 4wd, see the PDF to identify which is the right one.

I also downloaded the firmware and TSB update information for an update to the radar sensor and to an srs/airbag sensor, but my truck already had the latest versions for those.

Attached Files:

Jack_A_Lope, Buckaroo, SC4333 and 6 others like this.
  8. Jan 20, 2023 at 6:35 AM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Congrats!

Was it a heavy smoke smell?

9. Jan 20, 2023 at 6:50 AM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Not a heavy smell, but definitely still noticeable through the cleaning products the dealer attempted to use. I will probably re-cover or replace the seats... keeping my eyes peeled for some platinum heated/ventilated!

Worst case I'll pull out the interior and give it a deep clean over the summer... the seats, carpet and headliner are the only things that might actually absorb it, other than that it's just getting things out to be able to give it a good scrub/powerwash... HVAC ducts, behind the dash, etc.

Jaypown likes this.
  10. Jan 20, 2023 at 6:54 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for these! Only 12 posts in and already a solid forum contribution :cheers:

Henry1jg and 1UP like this.
  11. Jan 20, 2023 at 8:32 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    Put a new cabin air filter in it ASAP if you haven't already.

chugs and coldcanuk like this.
  12. Jan 20, 2023 at 8:38 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Welcome!:thumbsup: An nice truck! DC is the best configuration and you got on of the fast models (i.e., not white, which are the slowest Tundras made). What exactly do these flashes do? Do I need to get this done from the dealer?

13. Jan 20, 2023 at 9:11 AM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Thanks! Yeah I'm happy with the black! My duramax was silver and it the silver + chrome was a bit much. Will be blacking out all the chrome on this one over the next couple of years too.
    There have been a few updates to the modules since when our trucks were built... if you tow a lot and you see errors pop up for 'trailer disconnected' as you're driving down the road, they updated something in the code for the trailer brake controller so it would stop doing that. And, if your transmission gets hot while towing on the highway (i.e. you use the gas pedal), there's an update to tune that so it won't get so hot. Also for 2018s and 2019s they updated the radar sensor to get less errors.
    And for folks who have extreme lifts or winches etc blocking the sensor, they have an alternate flash update that can be installed that will disable the radar system completely.

No details have been published about how the transmission overtemp issue gets addressed, nobody I'm aware of has done an A/B comparison of before / after the engine computer update. The engine computer is what tells the transmission to unlock the torque converter under heavy load (hard acceleration), so in theory they could have tuned it so it will stay locked more, which would reduce trans temps and possibly also slightly reduce fuel consumption. But that's all conjecture, since we don't know what it actually does differently.

If you're comfortable hooking up your laptop to the truck for changing settings and reading error codes with the toyota factory tools, you could handle the updates yourself. I have been modding and updating my BMW for the better part of a decade so I'm quite comfortable doing it, and the Toyota tools are a heck of a lot more friendly. They tell you all the steps. If not, you would go to the dealer.
    The PDFs I posted above include the dealer shop time allocated to doing the work, and what warranties exist to possibly cover the work. If you're out of warranty you'd have to pay them to do it or convince them that they should give you a concession because they should stand behind their trucks bla bla bla. (I've never gotten anywhere with this with GM, but maybe Toyota actually cares about their reputation so they would). In general the dealer service dept won't just flash the truck because you go in and say you read on a forum that there was an update. But if you go in describing the exact issue ("my truck keeps saying trailer disconnected!" or, "my truck keeps getting errors about transmission temp whenever i tow!") and say that you 'heard there was a TSB for it', they'd probably take care of it for you.

Joe333x and Wallygator like this.
  14. Jan 20, 2023 at 9:43 AM
    Wallygator

Member:
    Thanks! This is probably something I'm gonna pursue with the dealer. Have zero experience with the Toyota tools. If this improves the lockup in order to lower temps than I am all for it.

I now drive the truck continuously in tow/haul mode and the shifter in S mode. So I'm used to a little less MPG. The truck runs better, shifts better, has more power, and doesn't gear hunt as much. Just a better driving experience. Plus I can instantly choose what gear I want. Anyway, thanks for the insight!

There is a TSB, thanks again

https://www.autocodes.com/tsb/component.php?make=toyota&model=tundra&year=2020&component=100000 power train

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    ATV25 likes this.
  15. Jan 20, 2023 at 12:08 PM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Give CL02 treatment a shot. It's safer than ozone on the interior material. You can DIY or find a good detailer that uses that method.

16. Jan 20, 2023 at 6:14 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    The scary thought would be if all the flash does is make the over temp warning not come on as early or at all.

17. Jan 20, 2023 at 6:47 PM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    In that case it would be an update to the cluster or the transmission computer, changing the parameters of overheat, not the engine computer.

Wallygator likes this.
  18. Jan 20, 2023 at 7:16 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Idk because the cluster just displays what the ECM tells it to. Id still monitor temps just incase. I started monitoring mine as soon as I found out the 19 had no cooler, its crazy the difference a cooler makes with temps, easily a 40° difference just daily driving no towing.

Wallygator likes this.
  19. Jan 20, 2023 at 7:30 PM
    Wallygator

Member:
    I put in a cooler and the temps are now under control, but if this flash increases the lock up I'm doing it.

ATV25 likes this.
  20. Jan 20, 2023 at 7:36 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    I watch my lock up every drive with my odb app. What I know is that there is no lock is 1-3 or when the atf temp is under 100°. If you have a steady foot and going up hill you can usually maintain lock up in D if you dont mind let the speed drop, if you drop it down to 4th though you can easily maintain lock up. Would be great if Toyota provided release notes with flashes so you know what they do.

Wallygator[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jan 21, 2023 at 4:26 AM
    vilord

vilord [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Agreed it would be nice! I'll be monitoring my temps and hopefully also monitor the lockup, have to see if the maestro gauges can be configured to show that too.

Tbrandt, Wallygator and Joe333x like this.
  22. Jan 21, 2023 at 6:41 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Thanks for the info on the T-SB-0087-21. i have a 21 built late August 21 and will have the dealer check to see if mine would benefit from the update. I tow a travel trailer ~ 6,000# and am pretty sure had I not monitored temps with a Scangauge II and used T/H and S4 I would have seen that alarm.
    Interesting that no where in the TSB is mentioned towing in drive vs S4.

Wallygator likes this.
  23. Jan 21, 2023 at 6:54 AM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L 4WD DC TRD
    2020 GD 2670MK Travel Trailer
    What cable are you using? Have been looking at the Mongoose Plus Toyota 3 but have not pulled the trigger. Very good info on downloading all the files in one go with the 2 day subscription!

24. Jan 21, 2023 at 7:01 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    I dont know anything about maestro but I use the OBDLink MX+ and on there the PID is under "Engine and Electronic Controlled Transmission" and called "Status of the Lock Up" if that helps at all. I set mine up so that the lock up indicator is a radial gauge that creates a circle around the gear indicator when it's locked.

Screenshot_20230121-095908_Photos.jpg

Retired...finally and Wallygator like this.
  25. Jan 21, 2023 at 7:26 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    I have the Mini VCI J2534 firmware 2.0.4 that I have used with the copy of TechStream provided with it from Amazon for many different things on my truck like changing convenience features, programing keys, bleeding brakes, shutting of seatbelt chimes but never flashed any updates with it.

26. Jan 21, 2023 at 7:48 AM
    Wallygator

Member:
    Yeah wish I knew how to do this stuff.

27. Jan 21, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I'd like to learn too but scared of turning my Tundra into one expensive brick.

Wallygator[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jan 21, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    Wallygator

Member:
    Right!?:rofl:

Exactly. Too scary for me. Need to hookup with someone here that can help with this or pay to have the dealer do it. All in due time.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  29. Jan 21, 2023 at 8:35 AM
    Tbrandt

Tbrandt I read it on an internet forum, it must be true.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood DMX907S + Maestro iDatalink RR2 Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam Kicker Door Speakers TRD rear sway bar Firestone airbags + Daystar cradles Setrab oil cooler, OEM thermostat and hard lines Century High-C topper Bedrug Helmholtz resonator on stock exhaust Sound deadened + insulated cab Platinum 20s, hwy tires Viair 400P
    Maestro will show transmission pan temp, but I haven’t found a way to show converter lockup. It has the option to show engine oil temp but mine is grayed out on the selection list like it wasn’t able to validate the PID for it. I’m going to do some research to see if I can add PIDs myself. I have a 2021 Tundra, so all of the OBD2 data is read through the head Unit harness. I think 2019’s and under all need to plug directly into the OBD2 port.

30. Jan 21, 2023 at 9:33 AM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L 4WD DC TRD
    2020 GD 2670MK Travel Trailer
    I am aware of the clone cables but do not own one. I have always thought I would be reluctant to use one to flash because of the downside if things went sideways. That's why I was wondering what @vilord used.

Joe333x[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top