1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jobs you couldn't do

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Darkness, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    I couldn't be a lawyer, I have enough trouble sleeping just being me...

2. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    The kids in school today need to learn history and civics, and what state they live in...won't elaborate....don't want to get a vacation....

3. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    So..go teach them!! Being my sarcastic self. Another job I couldn't do.....being an unarmed guard protecting our most precious resource at , name your town, school. In some cases with gang bang cowards selling drugs across the street....but then again I don't need a vaca..

4. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:43 PM
    Sterlinglwood

Sterlinglwood Never enough!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    Newbury Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Any job dealing with the general public. I would probably lose it nowadays. Last job I had dealing with patrons was Starbucks 17 years ago. That place made me hate people.

5. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:45 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    “...Shit ton of money”...nice...:thumbsup:

6. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    For what it's worth.....I dislike coffee, especially Starbucks swill, but I did go there years ago to get a limited edition Alanisse Morissette CD. No coffee of course..

7. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    I used to date this gal who had a friend that was failing out of bus driver school, I shit you not...

Black Wolf, Jmad1997 and Darkness[OP] like this.
  8. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    There are countless jobs that I just couldn’t do. Pretty much anything behind a desk would drive me crazy. Also being a linesman. Especially one of those guys that climbs a couple of hundred feet into the air. No effing thank you! Although it’s fun to entertain the idea. My palms are sweaty. How about an old Timey coal miner or asbestos minor? Or those bad asses that used to build sky rises with no harness!

Watt maker, Kerch71 and Darkness[OP] like this.
  9. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    I'd be happier working so far away from the public that they'd have to pump the sunlight down to me. Hat's off to the folks that can pull it off ~ working with the public is not something I could do . . .

Darkness[OP] likes this.
  10. Sep 7, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    Which bodily fluids?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  11. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:05 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
  12. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:08 PM
    Darkness

Darkness [OP] Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    In all honesty when I was a service plumber that was the wildest time of my life! The stories I have to tell from those years should be in a book, I mean I saw it all. These days I sit in a cubicle staring at data and chicks in office skirts but I miss that freedom. Might sound dumb but if I ever became a millionaire I would be a free plumber and take care of people who can't afford it.

I couldn't do another sales job. I could do retail now that weed is legal in CA. You guys mentioning Circuit City are cracking me up, I bet that place was unreal to work at, I hated walking in there. I couldn't do law enforcement, my brother does that and it damn near turned him into a doomsday prepper. He thinks everybody is a scumbag who should be locked up and hes probably right most the time.

YardBird and Watt maker like this.
  13. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    I’ve done the garbage collector and food industry gigs.

Garbage collector was a pretty sweet college summer job. Worked on the back of a packer for one of the wealthiest towns in MA. Came away with a working stereo, laptop and graphing calculator for school. Plus it was pretty sweet holding on the back doing 45 down Rt. 9. Maggots in the your hair when a barrel breaks.. not so much.

Food industry.. well there’s a reason I walked away from a QA manager gig and still have a CYA folder in my closet. Moved to generic drugs, not sure which one’s worse.

As for a job I couldnt do.. surf instructor. You’re out there sitting on your board watching people drown, getting crushed by waves all day and complaining why they can’t catch one. Tried teaching an ex of mine how to surf; relationship over.

Darkness[OP] likes this.
  14. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:25 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Ever climb up a roof in the IE Summer dragging a Spartan 300 or a Gorlitz? :rofl:
    That's about the one thing I don't miss about plumbing but only in Summer. One time I had to park next to a house in Riverside and put an extension ladder on my box truck just to get on the roof. It was sketchy as hell.

Another time i had to hit a roof with a 1065 Spartan, problem was I didnt have a helper. Good news was it was near Basswood and Santee, my old stompin grounds in Riverside. I went around the corner and offered my buddy 2 tall cans to operate the Spartan from the ground while I shoved it down the vent. Eventually it stopped spinning and I hear AAAAAARGH! i walk to the edge and see my buddy all tangled in cable :rofl:we got the line popped and I did a 60' pull the next morning.

Another time my buddy got sent to IHOP on University and they had a blockage upstream front the grease trap. I was towing the Jeter back to the shop so I headed over to let him use it. Fucker busted the tee off the inlet and we had to replace it. Next thing you know I'm hanging from a ratchet strap attached to his bumper while he backs up slowly so I can drop into the grease trap and install a new tee with a fenco and some 4". It was wicked shit! He bought me three pitchers at Lake Alice that night.

I'm down with the desk job now :D I was too fuckin risky as a plumber.

YardBird and 15whtrd[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:27 PM
    Jmad1997

Jmad1997 New Member

Member:
    I could not be a nurse tech or CNA. They don’t get paid enough to change some of the nastiness that our body can excrete.

I couldn’t be a corrections officer with the forced hold and mandatory OT and not allowed to take cellphones in with you, would be hard and boring IMO.

Watt maker and OR18TRD like this.
  16. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:32 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    Once Reduced.jpg in the summer in San Diego I was headed to work one afternoon ~ it was hot like hell out ~ must have been 100* or more. I saw the roofers doing a 'hot mop' job on the school house and thought to myself ~ hey, my job at the sheet metal factory's not so bad after all. I did a career in sheet metal fabrication in a dusty, dirty and noisy shop as far away from the public as I could get ~ and that was fine with me ! :)

Darkness[OP] and OR18TRD like this.
  17. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:55 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    ......cleaning up after a gut rendering truck spill would suck.....worse than being a gut rendering truck driver..but not as bad as dealing with rotted guts once they got dropped off.....
    upload_2019-9-7_23-55-31.jpg

Darkness[OP], jewsNbrews and OR18TRD like this.
  18. Sep 7, 2019 at 10:59 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Oh yeah, plenty of roofs with the Gorlitz. Always tried to leave it on the ground and just lean a pipe onto the side of the roof. Then run an extension cord with the pedal up to the roof. I don’t miss that. Now I work for a school district so we have a little more protocol with safety. But I remember being down in those grease pits, I don’t miss that. But it was kind of fun in a sick way.

Once we had a job at a Macy’s department store. We had to replace all the roof drains. We were up in the ceiling with 2 x 12 planks as a runway to get everywhere. Then we had extension ladders up to the I-beams so we could set pipe, beam clamps and hangers. Starting the horizontal with 3 inch cast working our way up to 6 inch. Two ladders and two guys to carry the pipe up to the top of the extension ladder, leaning on an I-beam. Tying into what I remember was a 10 or 12”cast vertical. All very sketchy but super rewarding and a feel of accomplishment when we were done.

Department store restrooms are some of the worst. Disgusting! People flush their underwear and packaging from the items they try to steal down the toilet.

19. Sep 7, 2019 at 11:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Locating these and disabling them would not be your normal everyday job.... roofing sounds easy peasy....just sayin....upload_2019-9-8_0-11-15.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  20. Sep 7, 2019 at 11:12 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I used to put the vacuum pedal under tha machine and work a pair of extension cords on the roof to turn it on and off. I used the 2" pipe up the roof trick too when I could. Sketchy shit.

Department stores were always bad news, but was always bad news for them. A big store in Hemet called weekly and that was payday. I have to pull that toilet to dislodge the packaging, and then I have to rebuild that sloan. By the way I looked around and you have two other toilets in need of my assistance! I'd walk away $900-1200 in revenue in less than two hours every time.

Another job I couldn't do: Walmart door guy who hits your receipt with the highlighter. Maybe when I'm 70.

21. Sep 7, 2019 at 11:15 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news.......old fart Wally World meet and greeters are getting phased out.......

22. Sep 7, 2019 at 11:30 PM
    Jmad1997

Jmad1997 New Member

Member:
    Exactly!

Rica25 and OR18TRD[QUOTED] like this.
  23. Sep 7, 2019 at 11:32 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Well that surely sucked...

Rica25, Jmad1997 and OR18TRD[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Sep 8, 2019 at 12:56 AM
    TomC843

TomC843 The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    Any kind a loan writer, but mainly car. I don't know how you sleep at night roping the poor losers who you know cant afford it. Also what they get our poor young service men and women roped into, seems like you would just go home feeling like dirt.

Rica25, Black Wolf and jewsNbrews like this.
  25. Sep 8, 2019 at 3:19 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Here's my list:
    1) Port-a-john cleaner
    2) Human healthcare anything, especially nursing homes
    3) Roofing - Did it for a summer. Worked with some guys that had been doing it 30 YEARS.
    4) Food service - Spent one summer selling corndogs at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It was in the Scotland section of the park, so they were called "Pigs in a Kilt". It amazed me how many people had no idea what a kilt was. I shit you not, I actually had a lady come up to the counter and say "Yes, I'd like one of those pigs in a clit!" :rofl::rofl:

YardBird, Watt maker, OR18TRD and 2 others like this.
  26. Sep 8, 2019 at 4:03 AM
    MARanger

MARanger Lost in the woods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home of Friendly's Ice Cream
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White SR5 DC 4X4
    K&N Air Filter, Diamondback cover, Bumper Shells
    EMT. I did it until My first domestic involving a kid. Kids dad did not deserve jail, he should have been left to bleed out in a field and become coyote food. I quit as soon as we got back to the barn.

27. Sep 8, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    All the above. I'm lucky that i've gotten to tier 3 IT support and can call bullshit on the customer and tell them to shut up (Generally engineers I have to tell that to).

Depends, new construction would be great, guy I went to high school with did plumbing in voc school, he only does new construction and he's got more money than he needs. 3 houses, kids college paid, he could retire any time he wants but he loves his job.

28. Sep 8, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    ROTF
    You got my vote just for that line.

Rica25 likes this.
  29. Sep 8, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    These guys?

[​IMG]

30. Sep 8, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Sales / customer service isn’t bad at all if you work for a good company. I don’t have to put up with a-holes at all. If customers are being stupid / dicks, I just get really sarcastic and passive aggressive. I tell them to pound sand and get the hell out if they go overboard.

I’ve had the owner of the company called on me three times in 17 years. He’s told all of them to f—k off.

Products Discussed in

To Top