1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues with ABS

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 1stgentundradriver, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Jan 31, 2022 at 5:25 PM
    1stgentundradriver

1stgentundradriver [OP] Each sticker adds at least 5hp

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Silverdale Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4x4 Limited
    A few
    Hey all,

I have been having an issue with my truck recently. Had an oil change done at the shop (it was free) and they told me I needed new CV axle boots because the ones I had were leaking grease. New axles were installed and got the truck back the other day and the ABS engages under 10 mph coming to a stop. When I got new tires a year ago the shop put on a new speed sensor and it fixed the issue (I thought). Each time the tires get taken off it seems to happen. I talked to the new shop I went to (where the CV axles were replaced). I had non-Toyota CV axles installed because they were much cheaper. According to the guy at the shop there is a sensor around the Toyota CV boots that works with the ABS system that the NAPA (I think) units don't have. My first question is has anyone else had this issue when replacing CV axles and my second question is does anyone know what may fix this issue? If it helps, the truck is a 2006 model double cab.

2. Jan 31, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    You can disable ABS all together by pulling both ABS fuses. Otherwise it sounds like you need to get the right CV axles with the tone rings on them. Although I'm not certain that where the tone rings should be. My truck doesn't have ABS.

The ABS activating at low speeds is somewhat common and if I remember correctly is due to one or more sensors that isn't sensitive enough to read at low speeds. Other sensors will read 4mph for example while the faulty one is reading 0mph. If you have a capable scan tool that can read live speed sensor data you may be able to narrow down your problem.

3. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:07 PM
    1stgentundradriver

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Silverdale Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4x4 Limited
    A few
    Interesting...wondering if it's just a faulty sensor...or maybe my reading of a sensor on the CV axle is wrong as well...? I've never heard of that and I wouldn't expect there to be one on the CV. I don't know of anyone who has a scan tool like that, but the shop did diagnose it with a scan tool and they are still picking their brains.

4. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:09 PM
    NickB_01TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    If it's a good shop with good equipment they should be able to hook up and drive around and monitor individual sensor data and see that they are all perfectly consistent at low speeds.

5. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:10 PM
    1stgentundradriver

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Silverdale Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4x4 Limited
    A few
    Okay, maybe I should ask and see if they did the scan while stationary...that could be the issue.

6. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:18 PM
    NickB_01TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
  7. Jan 31, 2022 at 9:19 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    The wheel speed sensors are magnetic, and readily collect any iron filings, rust flakes, etc. This build-up on any of the sensors makes them read a weak signal especially at low speeds, making the ABS module think that wheel (or wheels) have locked up, thus activating the modulator solenoids and pump when braking at slow speeds.

Monitoring live data of the wheel speed sensors should show which one(s) are losing signal when driving at a 2mph snail’s pace. This sensor(s) should be removed, cleaned of any filings / rust flakes if needed, and the tone ring on the CV axle can also be inspected for damage through the sensor hole by rotating the wheel hub / CV axle.

Products Discussed in

To Top