1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is one coilover better than the other?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JerseyTundra1260, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Jun 24, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    3.5 max

2. Jun 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    JerseyTundra1260

JerseyTundra1260 [OP] 08 Silver streaking!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Tundra DC Limited 4x4
    Too many to list.....
    Cool... Thanks

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jun 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    @jberry has shackles on his and said it drives great.

Problem with the link you put up....it had a lot to do with the shocks being overextended and not within the applicable working height. I have plenty of experience with that. Plus...they were adjustable Kings with clickers.....that's also a factor.

Just like with anything...too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Too much height, too much tire, weight, etc.

Point is....not all shackles are equal. 3.4" is better than 1.5" only thing that would be an improvement would be the Icon leaf pack since blocks and shackles are pretty comparable in ride quality and an AAL would just stiffen the ride even more.

If OP wants 3" up front....shackles (or the icon leaf pack) is the best option by far. 1" will not nor make a significant difference in quality, performance, etc.

4. Jun 24, 2017 at 9:17 PM
    JerseyTundra1260

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list.....
    So if I do end up with Boss coilovers. And go CB or Toytec shackles. Would you recommend extended rear shocks? In essence if I go 3 or 3 1/2 up front . I would be looking at 1 to 1 1/4 in the rear for level. 1 1/2 for rake.

5. Jun 24, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Not recommended... it's required

6. Jun 24, 2017 at 9:42 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Like @joonbug said...it's required. Stock shocks won't hold up....I know this from experience LOL

Was riding on nothing but springs and a 1" block for months wondering why I could feel every single bump up to my teeth. Replaced the fronts, better than spacers but not as cushy as people were saying it was...finally got some rears soon after and made a world of difference.

After taking off my rear shocks, I found i could compress and depress them by hand. In short, they were SHOT after less than 6 months on a 1" block. Only had 50k miles with little towing and off-roading.....

Get the extended shocks...resi's if your wallet can pull it.

7. Jun 25, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    JerseyTundra1260

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list.....
    If I do not go the resi route. I should be fine correct. Considering mostly pavement that is. Resi's would be mostly for off road I imagine. As far as road driving how much of a difference is it to non resi. Would it be total overkill for my use. They are expensive.

8. Jun 25, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Oh yeah, you'll be just fine bud.

Only reason I got mine was I won them in a giveaway! They are awesome though LOL but you'll be more than fine rolling with regular rears.

Products Discussed in

To Top