1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed new Spyder DRL headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tundraxp, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Jan 3, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    SacTRDPro

SacTRDPro New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Pro White
    Spyder Projector Housings HID Headlights Auto Headlights DRL & Markers swapped for LED's LED Fog Lights AMP Research PowerSteps Heated Seats Anytime Backup Camera Remote Start Through OEM Fob AMP Research Bed Extender LED Bed Lights TRD Sway Bar Driverside Grip Handle Center Console Wireless Charger
    Joined forum to specifically answer this question, but yes you can swap the levelers from the stock headlight housing to the Spyder housing. I just did it on mine I installed this weekend.

On the stock housing, you will need to use a socket, I think it is 10mm maybe smaller, to turn the slotted nylon nut counter clockwise until it screws free from the housing. You could use a flathead screw driver but it is more tedious and may easily strip the nylon nut that way. On the Spyder housing you do the same thing, but with a much smaller socket, sorry forget what size. You then simply swap the OEM leveler into the Spyder housing, but turn the nylon nut clockwise to engage it. I recommend setting the dial to "0" and adjusting the projector aim manually before connecting the leveler back into the harness.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Jan 3, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    xando

xando New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tundra TRD OFF ROAD 2015 crewmax/ silver metallic

it's very nice to hear that. I will give it a try.image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    03Marine and R-C like this.
  3. Jan 4, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    CNort

CNort New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coe
    Vehicle:
    '17 Barcelona Red Crew Max Tundra TRD Off Road
    Thanks for this! I'll be doing my swap soon, and was curious how to do this exactly. I might have some questions in the next week if I run into problems.

4. Jan 7, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    xando

xando New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tundra TRD OFF ROAD 2015 crewmax/ silver metallic
    It needs to be a switch back LED.
    Check with V-leds

5. Feb 24, 2017 at 5:19 AM
    fcs1965

fcs1965 New Member

Member:
    any pics of moving motors

6. Apr 5, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    bababooey

bababooey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Installed last night but day time running lights do not seem to be working. Can anyone help me with this? What might have I done wrong.

7. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:41 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Does this actually work? Installed my Spyders last night but didn't think I could use the stock leveling motors. Spyders are a pain in the a$$ to adjust I have found. The Spyder adjusting nut/ knob is 8mm, for what it is worth.

8. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:46 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Installed my Spyders last night but couldn't figure out the leveling motors. Does this actually work?

9. Aug 16, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Platinum Crewmax Tundra
    8" Lift, 22x10 Fuel Forged FF19, 37x13.50r22 Trail Grapplers, Amp Research steps, Spyder black smoked headlights with 35w HID's, all interior lights LED, Undercover tonneau.
    Yes it does, I just installed mine less than a month ago and they work great.

10. Aug 16, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    8" Lift, 22x10 Fuel Forged FF19, 37x13.50r22 Trail Grapplers, Amp Research steps, Spyder black smoked headlights with 35w HID's, all interior lights LED, Undercover tonneau.
    I would recommend installing the lights first, getting them aimed right, then marking a wall for a point of reference to make them a lot easier to get dialed back in after you remove the adjuster bolt.

To remove the motor from the stock housing unscrew the bolt almost all the way, then unlock the motor by twisting it, and then you will have to unscrew the bolt the rest of the way to finally remove it. Reinstalling them in the spyder is just doing this in reverse. Removing the manual adjuster from the spyders is exactly the same, but instead of removing a motor from the light you will remove the white socket around the adjuster bolt, the housing even has arrows on it to show you which way to twist the white socket to open it.

After you reinstall the lights, make sure the adjustment knob is at 0, adjust the lights back to your marks manually on the back of the headlight, and then enjoy having this wonderful feature again.

RaoulDuke and NewImprovedRon like this.
  11. Aug 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks so much, man, for the awesome write up! I assume you install the motors into the Spyders with the Spyders removed from the truck, correct? That's after you already had them installed, aimed, wall marked, etc.? I can't imagine there would be room under the hood to install the motors. Also, is there an adjustment in the Spyders for adjusting horizontally (right/left), or does they just adjust vertically (up/down)?

12. Aug 16, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    Cuzican

Cuzican New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Correct, I installed them, marked the cut off on the wall, then removed them to install the motors. After installing the motors put the headlights back in and adjust them back to your marks on the wall.
    No horizontal adjustment thay I know of only vertical.

13. Aug 16, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    abrams57

abrams57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Crewmax Platinum
    2014 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L Platinum Attitude Black. aFe Momentum Intake. aFe Silver Bullet Throttle Body Spacer. BullyDog Platinum Tuner. Spyder Black Projector/LED Headlights. TRD Rear Sway Bar. Gator S1 Tonneau Cover. WeatherTech Floor Liners. WeatherTech Window Visors. MBRP S5316304 Exhaust. BDS 7" Suspension w/Fox Coilovers. 35"x12.5"x20" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 20"x9" Hostile Knuckles wheels +0 offset, N-Fab nerf bars, GTR Lighting LED Lights.
    I have the same Spyder headlights that I bought about 2 years ago. Unless they've changed something, the LED part is not uniformly lit up as shown in the pics. You can actually see the hot spots of each individual LED. Maybe when a pic is taken it is meshed together to look more uniform. The LED output of the DRL is not as bright as the stock Platinum headlights. I think they look better than the stock headlights, but the output is not as great.

14. Aug 16, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I have them in and motors are working! Thanks so much for walking me through it! I need to adjust them tomorrow night - ran out of steam and patience. Thanks again! I owe you a beer.

15. Aug 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I have them in and motors are working! Thanks so much for walking me through it! I need to adjust them tomorrow night - ran out of steam and patience. Thanks again! I owe you a beer.

16. Jun 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    PMG

PMG New Member

Member:
    Thanks for this... made the install a breeze.. need to turn the ratchet about 100 times before the motor can be turned. I did skip the mounting, then marking the cutoff on the wall, dismount, mount etc.. I just set the level to zero, mark on the wall, mounted new lights with motors and realigned manually. Thanks again!

17. Feb 21, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    Anybody done the spyder leveling motor swap on a 2nd gen successfully?

Products Discussed in

To Top