1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idatalink Maestro Info

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by smooosh, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jan 19, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    jasclz79

jasclz79 New Member

Member:
    I just installed a Kenwood DDX-8906S with the RR and having issues with the dynamic parking lines. When my steering wheel is straight, the dynamic parking lines appear to be fully turned to the left; when my steering wheel is turned far right, the dynamic lines are straight. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks!

2. Apr 26, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    quizzy

quizzy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norman
    Vehicle:
    2016 XSP-X Crewmax
    I just installed a Kenwood DMX9906S and I am getting N/A on the TPMS screen. Anyone know how to get the actual PSI to display? Thanks.

3. Apr 26, 2020 at 3:21 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Check you obd2 connection. When I had my emissions test done the tech had to plug in and when he plugged the maestro unit back in the wire within the plug wasn't seated well and lost connection.

4. May 1, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Hello folks, would like to get some input on how I should wire in a kenwood headunit I just purchased yesterday. Was looking at the wiring schematic this AM and decided to call idatalink so I was fairly confident of what to do come install day. Well, the gentleman there shocked me with setup options.

Current setup: entune with dsr1 going to an aftermarket amp and currently using factory speaker wires.

New setup:
    Option 1: Run RCAs from back of new HU straight to the amp. Use the necessary connections on the Maestro RR and TOY2 harness to make everything work on the dash side. Remove DSR1 but keep Toy3 harness so that i dont have to cut connectors/buy new ones on the amp side.
    • Pros: can sell DSR1 and get some money back. Simple(er) install.
    • Cons: DSP on kenwood isnt quite as good as DSR1. Would have open connectors in quite a few places which just looks sloppy and will have to route RCAs.
    Option 2: No RCAs and retain DSR1. Connect Toy2 behind dash to connect into RR. Use factory wiring to run signal down to DSR1 which connects to AMP.
    • Pros: No need to run extra RCA and keep DSR1 dsp capailities. Higher voltage output out of the DSR1 than out of new HU. No open/loose connectors. Probably easiest install as i'm only going behind the dash. 8 channel output out of DSR1 compared to 6 from HU
    • Cons: Can't sell DSR1. Signal will be going through factory wiring which I am not sure how I feel about.

Option 3: Run RCAs from HU to DSR1. Reflash DSR1 to not read the input as coming from the Toy3 and just from RCAs. Still use Toy2 and Toy3.
    • Pros: Still get to use the DSR1. Dont have to send the signal through the skimpy factory wiring. Higher voltage output out of the DSR1 than out of new HU. 8 channel output out of DSR1 compared to 6 from HU
    • Cons: will have to route RCAs and will have open connectors. Cant sell DSR1.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :cheers:

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. May 2, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
  6. May 2, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    Rcas from headunit to amp. No need to have the DSR1 in there anymore if you have a clean signal to the amps. It’s only adding another source to introduce noise into the system. Simplify your life. Simplify your setup. Lol.

dittothat likes this.
  7. May 2, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Thanks! Appreciate the insight. Was leaning that way but wasn’t completely sold on it

8. May 2, 2020 at 9:18 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    The DSR is really only needed to clean up the highly processed signal coming out of the JBL amp. With the removal of the headunit, you now have a pure, clean full range source of audio output to your amp and a dedicated sub out. The processing and crossover settings in the kenwoods are top notch.

dittothat[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    @Danman34 what do you hook the yellow/black footbrake wire up to? I grounded the lt. green (e-brake) to the radio but can’t find a corresponding wire for the yellow/black
    upload_2020-5-11_10-9-4.jpg

10. May 11, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    That’s not used. Just ground the green parking brake wire coming out the radio.

11. Jun 24, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    zippy15

zippy15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    I have a 2019 Tundra Limited with JBL and a Kenwood DMX906s HU with a Maestro RR2 and am not able to view any Fuel info in the gauges section. When I go to setup, Fuel has an X in front of it. The other gauges seems to be working OK.....any ideas?

12. Jun 25, 2020 at 12:47 AM
    preacher35

preacher35 RIGHTEOUS MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum Crewmax 4x4
    Have you updated your Maestro with the latest firmware?

13. Jun 25, 2020 at 4:46 AM
    zippy15

zippy15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    I just checked and there is a newer version of the firmware since I installed it. I’ll try to update it this weekend and see if that works.

14. Jun 25, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    aparker813

aparker813 New Member

Member:
    Anyone know if the Mastro RR allows an aftermarket headunit to display now playing info in the gauge cluster? Using a different harness that doesn't send info to that screen. Would be nice to have when i'm running a GPS app and can't see whats playing.

15. Jun 25, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    preacher35

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I have had my Maestro RR installed in my Tundra for about 6 weeks now. And whilst I have not had a chance to tweak/program it exactly how I want it yet, I do NOT see any option that allows for it to send data to the instrument cluster LED screen. It simply interfaces between the ODBII port, the steering wheel controls and the head unit (Kenwood, in my case). The only thing that I do regret losing (albeit, not that much) is the GPS information being sent to the instrument cluster LED screen in real time as my Kenwood H/U is a GPS/DVD model. Anyway, the Maestro is a cool gadget, but not as revolutionary as I originally thought it was going to be.

16. Jun 25, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    zippy15

zippy15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    So after upgrading the firmware, still no luck on a Fuel gauge. So I decided to call support. Here is what I found.
    1. Idatalink support is great. I called 3 times and got thru immediately all 3 times. Their techs are awesome.
    2. The version of the firmware you flash on your Maestro may not be what is displayed on your HU.....this is per the tech. Something to do with the way the radio firmware may not be displaying the Maestro firmware correctly.
    3. The Fuel gauge doesn’t display for all vehicles. Guess I’m just one of the unlucky ones.

17. Jun 25, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    preacher35

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't give up that easily. Have you updated your firmware on your Kenwood H/U?

18. Jun 25, 2020 at 3:55 PM
    zippy15

zippy15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    I checked before installing my HU and it is on the current version. I’d be curious to see if anyone else with a 2019 Tundra is able to get the Fuel gauge.

19. Jun 25, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    No transmission temp or gas..

Ddx9905s

No built in nav so no nav direction option in drivers gauge in front of me.

IMG_20200625_163806~2.jpg
    IMG_20200625_163755~2.jpg

20. Jun 25, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    Trans temp is normal. Toyota uses a proprietary PID for it. Likely the fuel as well. I don't get fuel, either.

phabej likes this.
  21. Jun 25, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 Texas Edition (Crewmax)
    This thread got me curious, so I went and checked my setup. (Please bear in mind, I am not as knowledgeable on Tundra's as most of the membership here, which is why I joined here. To learn more about my beloved Tundra. But I believe that the more information that you have, the better your analysis and troubleshooting. So I thought that I would provide the information that I found regarding my truck. And yes, I am an IT guy by profession, so I can be a bit wordy in documentation. LOL).

I have a 2011 SR5 Crewmax Texas Edition. A few months ago, I had a Kenwood DNX996XR with a MaestroRR2 and Sirius SXV300 installed. (I did not do the install myself. I had a well vetted and competent local shop do the install at a very reasonable rate for labor). I am very happy with my selections. With the MaestroRR2, I was able to retain my steering wheel controls (which are just the SR5 controls). I am running the latest firmware on all components. The shop that installed the unit did the setup on all of it, so all of the gauges were whatever they had setup. I have accurate tire pressure and temp showing on the HU as well as open door graphics and engine status. When I go to the gauges icon, I have mph, rpm, intake temp, fuel level, and load showing for the gauges. I noticed that the fuel was showing "0" on the HU, though I had 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I went to the settings (Audio settings, OEM Settings) on the HU and found the vehicle and Maestro setup menus. In the Fuel Economy settings under the Maestro settings, my fuel tank was set to a capacity of "0". I set it at 20 gallons (not knowing what the actual capacity was) and it started registering as 100% on the HU fuel gauge. I dropped it to 18 gallons, and it registered as 110%. LOL. I looked up what my actual capacity is, and entered 26.4 gallons. It now reads 75%, which is accurate as I do have 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

I also noticed the option to customize different gauges for both P1 and P2 on the HU. So I looked through the various options that were available (not grayed out). I have transmission fluid temp and a ton of other options available. I tested a few of them, and I indeed do have those data feeds coming from the OBD unit to the HU (via the Maestro, of course). I have the analog dash instrument cluster with LED odometer/trip that has the transmission fluid temp gauge, Engine/water temp gauge, fuel gauge, battery gauge, and oil pressure gauge. I tested and compared each of these, and they all displayed accurately on the HU.

I have had the Kenwood long enough to go through and explore all of its features, but I shamelessly admit that I haven't taken the time yet to go through and truly dig into all of what the unit has to offer. (But it is a LOT of stuff). I will offer some feedback regarding some other conversations in this topic though. I have an iPhone 8 Plus that I use with my HU. I do utilize CarPlay wirelessly most of the time, and I normally play music from my phone (I have a 16000+ mp3 collection and a hugely eclectic musical taste). I use Waze, Google Maps, and the HU's onboard Garmin for navigation. I mostly use Waze and GoogleMaps so long as I have good data reception, but I do like having the Garmin, and I have had need for it several times in trips from Austin to Amarillo (my former residence) where my data reception got a bit thin. I have only had my HU reset on me when I had a ton of data going over the bluetooth connection. On the instances where my HU reset, I was running my music, Google maps (or Waze), and would get several phone calls (that I would answer via the hands-free capability of the setup), and would receive several text messages (no, I didn't respond to them while I was driving. Not even using the hands-free voice to text function). But if I had a lot of stuff running across the bluetooth connection at one time or a lot within a very short amount of time, my HU would sometimes reset. Most of the time, it is able to handle that kind of load without a hiccup. But the times that it did reset on me, which has been very few times, it was when something like that was going on. As I don't have an Android phone, I haven't been able to try the AndroidAuto capabilities yet. *

But the sound improvement over the stock stereo, which did have Sirius XM, but was not an Entune or JBL unit, is just amazing. (I also had all of the door and dash speaker replaced with Memphis MClass speakers).

* I am not a zealot iPhone moonie, but my previous job required me to have/use an iPhone, so I've had iPhone's since the very first models. Thus, most of my apps and media are Apple-oriented, and I am somewhat invested in that now. Though, I would love to be able to try an Android smartphone. They have some really slick customizations and graphics. But to clarify, I am not biased towards either platform.

22. Jun 25, 2020 at 5:56 PM
    aparker813

aparker813 New Member

Member:
    Appreciate the info! Disappointing that the now playing info isn't sent to the instrument cluster screen. I get steering controls, backup cam, and use of the factory USB plug with my current Crux harness so I think i'll skip the expense to upgrade it.

23. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:07 PM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro

That's not right. It retains everything. You might want to re-flash and try again.

24. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Click Home and then select the settings for the Kenwood HU. Click AV then Maestro settings then Gauges then Validate PIDs. That should get you the trans temp.

zach_attack4 and 19TurdPro like this.
  25. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:15 PM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    Ok I'll try that thanks

26. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    This worked. Thank you.

AZBoatHauler[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    For some reason I need to do this about once a month. It will work for several weeks then go back to not reading a temp but always comes back once you do those steps.

28. Jun 30, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    RyRy12

RyRy12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Silver SR5
    I’ve had the 906s installed for a few months now, everything was good for the most part. The HU would reset every once in a while, didn’t bother me too much. But now out of nowhere it doesn’t register the TPMS anymore. It just says NA. Checked the OBD2, that’s good to go. Tried resetting the sensors, no change. Even reinitialized the HU, which sucked cuz it lost all the other settings I had. Any other recommendations before I open up the dash and pull out the maestro for a reflash?

29. Jun 30, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Did you disconnect the battery recently? Every time I’ve noticed this on mine it was after unhooking the battery and it fixes on its own in a day or so.

30. Jun 30, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    RyRy12

RyRy12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Silver SR5
    No, haven’t disconnected the battery. It went blank about a week now.

Products Discussed in

To Top