1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I have no interest in a hybrid tundra

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Gts bruce, May 26, 2019.

1. Jan 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    The V8 will remain alive for a long time in certain vehicles like muscle cars and HD trucks for example. It is just uncertain in certain the 1500 series truck futures. Ram and GM seem to be committed in keeping the V8 dream alive though in their 1500s. I do hope the Tundra keeps the V8 alive for the next gen only time will tell though.

specter208 likes this.
  2. May 24, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    MarkWizz

MarkWizz New Member

Member:
    It is stunning to me to hear so many clamoring for a turbo V6 or hybrid.

The 5.7 is perhaps the most reliable engine ever made. It feels like an engine. It has all the hp and torque anyone needs. It rumbles with a TRD exhaust. It is a real engine reminiscent of the 350's back in the glory years of muscle cars.

But but we just have to have our progress to a smaller engine and an electric hybrid.

I am putting my money where my mouth is. I'm buying a 2020 TRD Pro that will be delivered to me on Wednesday.

I dont care if Toyota "hybridizes" every vehicle it makes except the Tundra and Land Cruiser. Leave them alone and let us have real engines. It is ri-damn-diculous that I have to constantly outrun "progress". Just like the new vertical wash machines with computer electronics. An unmitigated disaster. They leak and cost a fortune to fix. And they vibrate the floor to hell. Yet all my friends just had to have them. I bought the speed queen classic with dials.

And by the way, the 8 track sounded great. But the same people clamored for cassettes which sounded terrible.

3. May 24, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
  4. May 24, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    DUKFVR

DUKFVR New Member

Member:
    Houston & Young County TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra DC SR5, Stage 1 Icon kit, LT75/60/20 Toyo AT III, Ranch Hand Midnight Bumper Replacement
    I bought a Tundra last week & me & the salesman were talking about the new generation tundra. He said there would be a 6 twin turbo & hybrid. He said the hybrid is pretty amazing, but will priced in the low to mid 60's in the tundra. I told him I appreciate the info. He said to wait if I wanted the new technology. I told him thanks ,but I am wanting the current tundra & its proven reliability. I did ask about a CM with 6 1/2 ft bed. He said nothing was mentioned or hinted at that & he wouldn't wait if that's all I wanted. He said it could happen, just no mention of it in the new products meetings. You never know though.

5. May 26, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    Bigbadpoppa

Bigbadpoppa New Member

Member:
    Never say never...that's closed mind thinking and stubbornness.

I love the v8 and will stil choose that...but heck if Toyota manages a hybrid that pulls out good power and managed to design it being just as reliable, why wouldnt you get one if price of oil decides to spike eventually costing you 20 bucks a gallon one day.

Reliability with cost savings in gas... I can be sold on this.

BTBAKER, Coolhardy and jeremyd like this.
  6. May 26, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I'll be impressed when the first hybrid Tundra hits a million miles.

7. May 26, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    Jas4tundra

Jas4tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jasmeet
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra limited white
    Stock
    From what I have heard it’s v6 -hybrid motor. V-8 will be offered initially in eventually will be phased out in later half of the decade.
    Let’s see

Boerseun likes this.
  8. Jun 1, 2020 at 8:02 PM
    mcm0455

mcm0455 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I've owned a few turbo's and frankly the novelty of a turbo wears off after a couple thousand miles. Yes, they may be slighter quicker under ideal circumstances, but factor in a hot and humid day, and the lag from the turbo is almost unbearable. The 5.7L is pure muscle car with the TRD exhaust and the rear window down. Does not get much better than that. I would be surprised if the new hybrid/turbo new tech really gets any better gas mileage. I'll be keeping my 2020 Platinum for a long time even if all the haters call it old and outdated. I prefer to drive my vehicles rather getting to know the service department for countless warranty issues.

9. Jun 1, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    A fuel-efficient hybrid V6 Turbo with pretty good power would be nice as the current V8 is a gas guzzler. 5.7 V8 feels sluggish as is, so I ended up adding a supercharger and now is much fun to drive. V6 or V8 doesn't matter. If you have the power with V6 then why not???
    We all know, Toyota makes reliable vehicles. I highly doubt V6 will fall part because its a new engine and a hybrid.
    Calculators were replaced by the computers. Video killed the Radio star. Life is all about progression.

10. Jun 20, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    Bad Cow

Bad Cow GOD Bless The USA

Member:
    Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO - SUPER WHITE
    Leather Steering Wheel, +1.5" Shackles
    I think saying 30+ MPG is a stretch, at best. Either way, I will be holding onto my 19 PRO for quite a while.

11. Jun 20, 2020 at 5:43 AM
    GELCW

GELCW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 Gray Tundra Platinum
    I’m open to options but I love what I have and that’s because the Toyota engineers built it that way. I have trust in them that they will build the new version with that in mind.

12. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    Bad Cow

Bad Cow GOD Bless The USA

Member:
    Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO - SUPER WHITE
    Leather Steering Wheel, +1.5" Shackles
    I keep seeing the word TRUST used in this thread. I have Trust in very few things in life, Myself and GOD.
    The rest is a crapshoot, roll of the dice.

13. Jun 20, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    MarkWizz

MarkWizz New Member

Member:

Here is the big deal: The hybrid is (((their))) way of slowly getting you to accept an all electric car and then, they'll take away the greatest invention of all time - the combustion engine. After you accept the hybrid, then comes electric only. The hybrid is just a way to make you more comfy with the plan.

One of Agenda 21's top priorities is to slowly get rid of the combustion engine for personal use. Oh, they'll use these engines themselves to generate the electricity, but they want us on (((their))) grid.....it's about control. Ideally, (((they))) would prefer that you not own a car at all and get driven around by autonomous self-driving cars under a pay as you go structure.

The combustion engine is perhaps the greatest invention of all time. Think about where we would be without it. It represents freedom....you can drive anywhere you want for extended ranges. It represents human ingenuity. It represents the industriousness of man and the beauty of mechanical inventions. It represents Americana - a rumbling V8. (ironic that a toyota v8 represents americana but it does)

And by the way, it's not all about power and speed. I love the rumble of my 5.7 Tundra with the TRD exhaust. It is a magnificent feeling.

I bought both a 2020 Heritage Land Cruiser and a 2020 TRD Pro Tundra this year. I'll be rumbling down the road for a long time.

WFD473 and Bigbird57 like this.
  14. Jun 20, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    LlamaResistance

LlamaResistance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5 TRD Offroad
    MLED Retrofitted Platinum Headlights, Ranch Hand bumper, Firestone airsprings, Leer 100XR Shell, Amp Research Steps
    :crazy:

Bad Cow and Coolhardy like this.
  15. Jun 20, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    B.Ross

B.Ross New Member

Member:
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 TForce CrewMax 4wd
    Regarding the twin turbo.....
    I'd like to know the maintenance schedule on the them.
    Can I expect 200k miles out of them?
    Cost to replace/repair?
    BTW I've never owned a turbo'd vehicle.

16. Jun 20, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    I own turbo charged V4, V8, supercharged Tundra, Tesla and I drive Tesla the most because it’s free. It’s fun to drive. Slam the doors off any idiot who is trying to mess with me at a traffic light. There is no rumble so it’s not loud but that’s a unique quality to be not loud and beat the shit out of others.

Mechanical innovational era of 60’s is over. We are in the times of Computer related Technological advancement. Electric cars are the future. Cars have more electronic components now then mechanical. Some people adopt change quickly while others wait.

I agree, Pay as u go is the new economy. Owning anything nowadays is becoming a thing of past. Electric is coming, you will see the change with time.

GELCW and MT Madman like this.
  17. Jun 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM
    LlamaResistance

LlamaResistance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    MLED Retrofitted Platinum Headlights, Ranch Hand bumper, Firestone airsprings, Leer 100XR Shell, Amp Research Steps
    V4? You must have had quite the rare/exotic car for that. Old Lancia? Electric is definitely where we are going but what is holding us back is battery energy density and lifetime. Lifetimes have gotten much better but the energy density needs to improve to make a real dent in the truck market. I'm really interested to see what Toyota is cooking up powertrain wise. My wife's '20 Highlander Hybrid is nice and I can see the alure especially getting 30 real world MPG. Electric motors are great for towing having max torque at zero RPM and I can see how this could be really helpful for offroading. There is certainly room on the chassis to add batteries and maybe they will make the rear suspension more compliant having a higher static load on it. We shall see but I am certainly looking forward to what they come up with.

While a TTV6 will not have the visceral sound of a V8, there is alot to be said for the raw power difference you will experience. Part of the reason I ditched a Harley for a Kawasaki sport tourer which while it has none of the sound, accelerates like a shell fired from a cannon.

deptrai likes this.
  18. Jun 21, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    Bigbird57

Bigbird57 New Member

Member:
    . 5.7 V8 feels sluggish
    What have you been smoking. Have you tried "Beast Mode"?

19. Jul 11, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    CP Nole

CP Nole New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MG Tundra TRD Pro
    For the people saying trust the engineers, this isn't up to them. The fuel economy on the Tundra's become untenable. That's a sales decision. Toyota knows that the 5.7 with the six-speed is bulletproof.

I'll pass on a turbo six. I prioritize reliability. Unless it's a hybrid, it'll need an extra thousand RPM for the same torque. If it runs regular gasoline, it'll be hard on the engine. If it runs premium, it'll eat up some of those MPG cost savings.

specter208 likes this.
  20. Jul 15, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    climberguy

climberguy New Member

Member:
    If they had delivered the hybrid I might have been tempted. I trust them to get it right. But they didn't, so we are expecting our new long bed in a week.
    I had a conversation with a salesman about the coming hybrid.
    Me: So you start up a mountain pass with your V6 hybrid Tundra. Tons of torque and horsepower as you power up the freeway on ramp. After an hour, your battery is depleted, your electric motors are dead weight, and you are limping up the mountain pass in an underpowered V6.

The salesman said that wasn't true. He said the V6 will be constantly charging the battery which delivers horsepower to the hybrid electric drivetrain.

In my mind this sounds like voodoo magic, and I told him so. He said that hybrid buyers always by hybrid again.

Anyway, looking forward to participating in the forum once our Tundra arrives. I own 3 Toyotas. 1991 Corolla Wagon 370,000 miles; 2004 Tacoma 260,000 miles, 2010 V6 RAV4 130,000 miles. Original engine and transmission in all 3. Our Tacoma even has the original clutch 'fer cryin' out loud

21. Jul 15, 2020 at 9:05 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Speed Queens have been getting some pretty bad reviews. I’ve been looking at them. Progress in a lot of ways is a good thing.

22. Jul 15, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Honestly. I hate hybrids and don’t ever want to own one.
    But working for the dealer I can say they’ve proven to be reliable. Plenty of 300k mole plus Prius’s, highlanders, etc. time will tell what the future holds.

here’s to hoping for a twin turbo 4.0 v8

23. Jul 16, 2020 at 4:37 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    What does it cost to replace the battery pack, or the generator on one of those?

24. Jul 16, 2020 at 4:44 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    My wife has a Prius V. That hybrid system is awesome. We actually got the best mileage ever while driving in the mountains.
    While I absolutely prefer a V8, I am not opposed to a Toyota Hybrid, because I know they know what they are doing.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  25. Jul 16, 2020 at 4:51 AM
    Bigbird57

Bigbird57 New Member

Member:
    As a group they are all being pressured to go all electric. The 5.7 is a true tow platform.
    All other configurations are a compromise.

Boerseun[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jul 16, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    The transmission generates the electricity. Never seen one fail like that. Only hybrid trans I’ve replaced were from diff whines. But a tundra wouldn’t have a diff in the trans.

The batteries are ~3000-3500. Labor’s about 2-3 hrs. This is all on Prius kind you. The batteries tend to last 10-15 years out here. Hell there’s some first gen priuses out here on the originals damn near 20 years. The big thing is you don’t run them out of gas. If you deplete that hybrid battery completely because you run the engine out of gas, the life is shortened severely

FirstGenVol and Warreng like this.
  27. Jul 16, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Is that $3500 for a brand new OEM battery?

28. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    LlamaResistance

LlamaResistance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    If you looks at the speculated power train, it shows a turbocharged V6 not an N/A V6 which should leave plenty of power for climbing hills. The hybrid part of the powertrain is not for continuous loads but for peak demands such as accelerating. The whole idea is to recapture energy normally wasted by the brakes and use that energy to help accelerate back to speed. This allows the engine to produce lower power while maintaining the same performance. Odds are they will move to a forced induction engine which should be capable of maintaining cruising speeds using less fuel and the hybrid will supplement that allowing it to use less boost when accelerating. Toyota should well know that the vehicle will be used in circumstances where there is an extended period of high loads such as towing up a hill and have an engine which can support that. Hybrid is only there to help reduce the overall consumption by energy recapture. If you look at medium and heavy duty vehicles with hybrid powertrains (busses etc.) they still run a normal engine size.

Products Discussed in

To Top