1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How-to guide for converting your 2007-2013 Tundra to Full Time AWD capability

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ViktorG, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Aug 3, 2022 at 4:40 AM
    07 Tundra Steve

07 Tundra Steve New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Long Bed
    Magnaflow Cats, 305/60R18 Nitto G2, Firestone Airbag Lift Rear with on board compressor, Bilstien 3" Lift Front, 2010 Stock Front Diff, Fifth Wheel Towing, ALL OEM Replacement parts except for cats, Soon To Receive Sequoia AWD Transfer
    The stock front diff is fine and yes, you can turn in AWD on the street with no driveline bind up. This is true in both high and low range which is really nice when maneuvering a heavy trailer to park it. I use it quite often and it just crawls it where you want it to go, rarely touching the gas. I also use is when the roads are wet in town- no wheel spin when the light turns green is very nice! I'm holding onto the advice to lock the center diff when off roading. I understand you can damage the Torsen diff (or perhaps any for that matter) with wheel spin.

For the record, I'm in about 12,000 miles on the AWD conversion with no issues, 345,000 miles on my '07 Tundra.

2. Aug 3, 2022 at 7:27 AM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock with trail boxes
    @ViktorG if/when you figure how to make it work on the 18+, I'll bring my truck to you in Calgary for the swap.

3. Aug 26, 2022 at 4:13 PM
    Monel

Monel New Member

Member:
    The Sequoia AWD system with the locking Torsen center diff is great. My question for the Tundra gurus here:

Is this same swap possible from a Gen 1 Sequoia into a Gen 1 Tundra with the 3.4l V6 5VZ-FE?

How about into a Tundra with the 4.7l V8 2UZ-FE? This motor was standard on both Gen 1 Sequoias and Tundras.

Not looking for guarantees but I'd really appreciate an expert "Yes, it ought to work" vs a "No, it will be a very difficult conversion".

Thanks in advance,

Monel

4. Oct 25, 2022 at 7:11 AM
    2undra

2undra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Reg cab short bed 4.7
    Stock
    So I have a 2007 Rcsb 4.7 that I’m considering doing this mod to

Will the 4.7 have any issues doing this?

Hello, anyone?

5. Oct 25, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    powderdaylife

powderdaylife New Member

Member:
    I'm going to do this to my 2011 Tundra Crewmax in a couple weeks. I managed to secure a brand new Sequoia T-case and used 4wd ECU. Just need to order the other parts as they aren't listed on the original post anymore. Is there anything you wish you would have ordered or done differently when you did the swap @Wynnded @07 Tundra Steve ?

I'm planning on wiring up the factory diff lock switch and an aftermarket LED to indicate that it's turned on. I have the factory Tundra Platinum gauges which are identical to the Sequoia except for the diff lock light, so upgrading to those isn't worth it considering that would be the only benefit.

Luckily I have a secondary car so I can just drive that while I get the driveshafts lengthened/shortened. Does anyone have a shop they'd recommend getting this done at in Calgary, AB?

6. Oct 25, 2022 at 11:12 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I wished that I'd had put the truck on taller jack stands and that I'd had a better transmission jack.

@ViktorG is in Calgary, he may have a suggestion.

7. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:26 PM
    2undra

2undra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Reg cab short bed 4.7
    Stock
    Ya this 07 with 92k needs Awd, a locker, leveling kit and a Slide in Camper.

All plans I have for it.

Its a third vehicle so it can be down for a while.

2195CC0A-47E3-45DD-B920-20FDF96892D1.jpg

8. Oct 27, 2022 at 11:21 AM
    07 Tundra Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Long Bed
    Magnaflow Cats, 305/60R18 Nitto G2, Firestone Airbag Lift Rear with on board compressor, Bilstien 3" Lift Front, 2010 Stock Front Diff, Fifth Wheel Towing, ALL OEM Replacement parts except for cats, Soon To Receive Sequoia AWD Transfer
    I would suggest hearing from @ViktorG on this question because I believe he is a Toyota/Lexus Master Mechanic. I would have to suppose that you would need a t-case and 4WD ECU from a 4.7 Sequioa.

2undra[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 27, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    FWIW, it looks like the Sequoia had the 4.7L in 2008-9 model years. With a quick peek, I haven't found which t-cases were offered in what years mated to which engine offering. They could all be the same or not, just haven't found the info.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  10. Oct 27, 2022 at 11:51 AM
    07 Tundra Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Long Bed
    The swap really went pretty well for me. Starting out, I placed the Sequioa T-case on the transmission jack (borrowed from my brother for heavy trucks) and lifted the truck enough to clear it. I needed a better understanding of the wiring, but I figured that out as the night went on. Viktor says there's no need to lengthen the front drive shaft and he knows what he's doing. When I found a much newer front drive shaft from a Sequioa with low miles for $85 on Ebay, I snatched it up. The seals on my old u-joints were cracked and drying out anyways. I do wish I had another shop do the rear drive shaft work as there is still an imbalance issue that I've helped temporarily with hose clamps until I can get it balanced correctly.

Read through my post after the swap that documents what I did and the problems I encountered. I was pretty green at doing a swap of this nature as I'm an "older school" small block '70s Chevy kind of guy, but I just used guidance through this forum and Tundra Talk with some advice from ViktorG and Wynnded.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    HulkSmurf14 and Wynnded like this.
  11. Oct 27, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    The JF2A is the LC/LX570 full time t-case. No idea the first year this was manufactured.
    The JF3A is the Sequoia t-case with the 2WD option. I think this was a new model with the then new generation Sequoia.
    I'm guessing that either of these will mate to the 4.6L and 5.7 as they're basically the same block.

The 4.7L has of course been around much longer, but I haven't read anything so far that suggests that the JF3A will bolt up to the transmission used with 4.7L in the second generation Tundra (was it only available with the 5-speed, or with the 6-speed as well?). The first generation Tundra 4.7L had a 4-speed auto, then later a 5-speed auto.

Without more information, I would think that for @2undra to swap the JF3A into their vehicle, the way to make it most likely would be to make sure the donor t-case was from a 4.7L Sequoia with the same model transmission as their truck, whatever the heck that happens to be. If it needs to be this specific, this could be somewhat of a needle in a haystack-like search. But then again, it may not be as complicated. More info that I haven't been able to find is needed.

12. Oct 27, 2022 at 12:53 PM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    Can this be done on a 2021 model?

13. Oct 27, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    Not fully. They talk to it a few posts back.

M3Tundra-JK[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 27, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
  15. Oct 27, 2022 at 1:25 PM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
  16. Oct 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM
    2undra

2undra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    Reg cab short bed 4.7
    Stock
    Steve are you in Indiana?

17. Oct 27, 2022 at 2:25 PM
    07 Tundra Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Long Bed
    @2undra , yes. I tried emailing you via the address you sent Tuesday, but it came back undeliverable. Try emailing me at stevep@gralex.com.

So I cover a little ground: My hometown is just north of Muncie Indiana and I return nearly every weekend, I work in Blue Ash (Cincinnati, OH) and now reside in Batavia, OH. Just turned 354K miles which means I'm at 21K since the swap.

Steve

18. Oct 27, 2022 at 2:42 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    My swap was a bit different. I traded in my 2010 2wd Tundra for a 2017 Toyota 86, hated it & traded it for a 2013 4wd Sequoia.

lol

Terndrerrr and 07 Tundra Steve like this.
  19. Oct 28, 2022 at 3:58 PM
    powderdaylife

powderdaylife New Member

Member:

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm in the same boat with regards to the wiring. I've done plenty of work on my vehicles over the years including lots of stereo and amp installs, but anytime a vehicle wiring diagram enters the equation I get worried!

I've ordered all the parts though, so I'm hoping once I have them in hand it will make more sense.

Can't wait to have it up and running. I've been missing the AWD/4WD transfer case since selling my 1999 4runner limited and buying a first gen Tundra.

20. Nov 7, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    powderdaylife

powderdaylife New Member

Member:
    @07 Tundra Steve @Wynnded Hey guys. Just doing the swap on my truck right now and I was wondering if you unbolted the crossmember from the transfer case and then removed the crossmember before unbolting the t-case from the transmission? Or did you unbolt the transfer case from the transmission and then unbolt the crossmember before dropping the whole assembly together?

If you did drop the crossmember first, do I need to support the transfer case with a jack when I do so? Or is it supported enough by the transmission to remove the crossmember and then get the jack in place to support the t-case for removal.

Thanks in advance!

21. Nov 7, 2022 at 5:57 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    It's been a while, but I think I probably cracked the t-case-to-trans bolts and the t-case-to-crossmember bolts loose before unbolting and removing the crossmember-to-frame bolts so that went you're pulling on those t-case/trans bolts, the case is supported and the jack wouldn't be in the way. Then remove the crossmember/frame bolts and swap in the jack. Maybe support the rear of the trans with a jack stand. Then the bolts are already broke loose. During assembly, I think I placed the case with the jack and installed the bolts to just snug then supported the case with a jack stand (you could just leave the jack there) at a location other than where the crossmember fits so it wasn't in the way. I hope that makes sense.

powderdaylife[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Nov 8, 2022 at 8:58 AM
    powderdaylife

powderdaylife New Member

Member:
    Makes total sense, that's essentially how I was planning on tackling so it's good to know I'm on the right page!

Wynnded likes this.
  23. Nov 8, 2022 at 10:08 AM
    07 Tundra Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Long Bed
    I believe I supported the transfer and transmission with a large wood block under the transmission oil pan with a bottle jack to bear the weight off of the cross member. I think I then removed the cross member leaving the isolation mount attached to the transfer case. From there I removed the front drive shaft, drained the fluid and proceeded to unbolt and remove the t case. I filled the new case just before reinstalling the cross member. Supporting this from the tranny did not hurt the pan at all and it left the rear open for the transmission jack under the t case.

Don't forget to check the clocked position of the carrier bearing mount. I screwed up an had mine 180° out and it caused a vibration in the drive shaft. The drive shaft shop caught my mistake!

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  24. Nov 14, 2022 at 10:58 AM
    07 Tundra Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Long Bed
  25. Nov 30, 2022 at 3:29 PM
    Somemedic

Somemedic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC Cab/ 2010 Dbbl Cab Long Bed
    Yak racks Awning LED dash LED headlights / fog lights Hellwig Helper springs KC HD springs Bed slide out Sony AX100 w/ cam SOS Big Brake front kit Rancho 9000 front / rear
    Those t cases have gone up up up in price.

I just picked up a 2010 dclb and saw this write up. I did the 2004 trans swap into my 2000 tundra for the strength.... this sounds pretty damn cool with a lovely list of features.

So from what I've read I need the following

1. T case from a 08-13 Sequoia
    2. 4WD ECU from a 08-13 Sequoia
    3. Instrument Cluster from a 08-13 Sequoia
    4. The 4x4 Switch/Dial from an 08-13 Sequoia

I won't need a front Sequoia driveshaft though? I'm checking to see if that's it and roll on over to Car-parts.com and ebay and make start collecting parts.

26. Nov 30, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    07 Tundra Steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Long Bed
    @Somemedic , Actually I believe the Sequoia T cases are good through 2018 for the swap. You will need the 4WD ECU from a Sequoia and also one more insert for your Tundra wiring harness clip to the ECU to pick up an additional pin (described earlier in this thread). The instrument cluster is optional, I kept my original. You just need an indicator light for the center diff lock. You don't need the rotary 4WD switch, they are the same. You do need the push button center diff lock switch, it isn't essential, but required to lock the center diff.

Search for "5.7 Sequoia transfer" on Ebay and you'll find an '08 in Las Vegas for $1,075 with free shipping OBO, which is the cheapest I've seen in quite a while. The mileage isn't listed but I wouldn't be concerned, I doubt that 4WD would be used often out there, and besides, it's a Toyota. Ask them to throw in the 4WD ECU and diff lock switch with the clips from the wiring harness on both and that would be a good deal.

Victor says to keep the Tundra front drive shaft which I'm sure is good advice. I did get one from a much newer Sequoia with low miles on Ebay for $85 so I snagged it. I had noticed on mine that the seals had a lot of cracking when I greased the U joints so I know it was going to need some attention anyway.

Good Luck!

Somemedic and Wynnded like this.
  27. Nov 30, 2022 at 5:39 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    A custom, shortened rear driveshaft will also be required unless you have a RCSB; if you do, then you can use the stock one with no modification. A Sequoia rear drive shaft won't work, too short. For a CM/DC, the section of the drive shaft from the t-case output to the carrier bearing will need about 1.25 inches removed.

Oh, and you'll need a 07-13 4X4 Tundra, your info says yours is a 2000. :p

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  28. Dec 4, 2022 at 6:22 PM
    Somemedic

Somemedic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC Cab/ 2010 Dbbl Cab Long Bed
    Yak racks Awning LED dash LED headlights / fog lights Hellwig Helper springs KC HD springs Bed slide out Sony AX100 w/ cam SOS Big Brake front kit Rancho 9000 front / rear
    Oh, and you'll need a 07-13 4X4 Tundra, your info says yours is a 2000. :p

While I joined the group with a 2000 and I still have it its gotta go. It has since been a lovely run but my larger frame has always been a tad cramped.

Daddy got that big big.... 2010 DC long bed. She was builted when she arrived and I'm carrying on that tradition. So I need to shorten the rear drive shaft on my truck then?

Kmvdz2Jx-kyXv80azTCe.jpg

29. Dec 4, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    As mentioned, just the front half of the two piece driveshaft that is in everything but the RCSB and Sequoia. From the t-case output to the carrier bearing.

Somemedic[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Dec 4, 2022 at 11:03 PM
    kparrow

kparrow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    Nice to see you over here @ViktorG
    I think I found your original write up on this in TundraTalk perhaps? Have to shorten the rear driveshaft just a tad right?
    After finding the original write up, and ease of swap, it always made me wonder why Toyota didn’t put the Torsen in both the Sequioa and Tundra. They both have the same powertrain so they are both rated the same (theoretically) and it’s just added capability for the Tundra and fewer parts to keep stocked for Toyota. Always wanted to do this swap when I lived in Montana and dealt with snow daily during winter. Now I have less of a need but it would still be fun!

Products Discussed in

To Top