1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How not to off-road your truck...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by csuviper, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A G.D.M/Sofa King Cool/COTJ's dreamboat

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. D-rings are the way to go

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A G.D.M/Sofa King Cool/COTJ's dreamboat

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    Unmolested 6.4s aren't as as bad correct?
    And what could you expect towing a 30+ ft trailer?

3. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Some had good luck with the 6.4 motors. Others...not so much. Oil delusion was a huge problem on all the big three trucks in those years. On some model trucks, it still is.

That is the major reason I went Duramax due to how the fuel is injected during a regeneration.

Usually she gets 9.5 mpg towing that huge trailer 65-70 mph. The wind was so bad yesterday that they dropped down to 50-55 mph and did 6.5 mph.

4. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    All the tearing up of off trail areas in both videos I'm sure contributes to trails getting shut down too.

5. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Sheesh.Amateur hour.

6. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:12 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Back on thread track, inspect your rig before you go out. Every time.

We were going to take the rigs out this weekend, during inspection we found:

My rig- hole in radiator, self inflicted, some links that needed tightening, my fire extinguisher has been leaking.

Buddies rig- just fresh off the old dyno, we heard some sort of grinding while driving. We just couldn't pinpoint the issue and it sounded like the Atlas II race box (I was skeptical on that breaking).

We get under the Jeep and start going over the rig with a fine tooth comb. We found this:

Crack in differential cover. Not uncommon with some abuse.
    IMG_0737.jpg

Then we came across this....

IMG_0736.jpg
    Not so common to crack a differential housing, especially a Dynatrac ProRoc 60. Time to find out what happened. My guess was broken teeth on the ring gear again.

This isn't a good sign.
    IMG_0738.jpg

Sure as hell...
    IMG_0739.jpg

So what happened was:

First, running a high pinion in the rear axle is never a great idea unless someone is sponsoring you and they can afford this $7000.00 problem (axle only). I suggested that to someone on here about pulling someone out in reverse with their Tundra. I think he was pulling a tree. This is what can happen. Our tundras have high pinion front differentials. What that means in a front axle application, going forward they are the strongest (not running on Coast side of ring gear) and in reverse it is the weakest. The exact opposite is true in a high pinion rear axle. Forward is the weakest. This is why on most factory vehicles, you will not see a high pinion rear axle.

The teeth broke off due to shock load, and they got lodged in between the ring gear and pinion gear. This in turn broke the case and most likely damaged the journal bearings/caps.

This axle is done.

Now he is going to upgrade to 8 lug. So he has to sell 10 beadlock wheels since they are 5.5 on 5, or sell half of them, and run two different wheel lug patterns until he can upgrade the front axle to 8 lug, then sell the other five wheels.

We have been pricing Spyder9 10" axles. Damn!!! Only thing that sucks is with the 10", he has to change the front differential gears out since 5.38 are not offered.

This is going to be a 11000.00 fix. Ouch

MotoTundra and 831Tun like this.
  7. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That is a damn fact.

8. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    It's easier to use that Ford apparently to mow down trees rather than a chain saw too.

9. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Damn, that hurts. But yes, inspections. These kinds of expenses is one of the reasons I stopped off-roading. Always pushing my truck to the limit is great fun, but dang it's spendy when it breaks and needs upgrading. I'm okay riding shotgun and being a spotter these days.

10. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Probably would've lost a limb. One of his is what I mean.

11. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:29 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Not a bad plan to carry a saw in uncharted territory. A 16" bar saw should work just fine. We carried a saw in Montana a lot. Trees always down on the trail and the forest service just can't afford to clean up every trail.

Here in CO, the forest service sends out people on ATV/motorcycles with saws strapped to them and clear the trails. Those guys do a great job and service.

12. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    In 1975 I was riding shotgun in my friend Paul's near new lifted F 250 up on Indian Creek. A logging road. "You are getting too close too the edge". I repeated it again. Too late. We went over. Rolled 8 or 9 times down a clear cut. Finally got stopped by some old growth fir trees at the edge of the cut. Took a CAT to winch it back up. Truck was needless to say......dead. I was OK. Paul had a separated shoulder from hanging onto the steering wheel while going down. Hard to steer while rolling...heh heh..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  13. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I always have my Husq 20" chain saw with me. (Except in the movie theater)

14. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    And your hockey mask?

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Lieutenant Ronnie McLovin... your knowledge on crap like this amazes me.

16. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.

-Oscar Wilde

Thank you sir

I think people have forgotten my real name...LOL

17. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Chris. :spy:

18. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I love it when you post shit like this Chris, I mean Lt. Dang. I learn so much... Sorry 'bout your buddies breakage though. My wife was forced off the road recently and got stuck in a drainage ditch. Thanks to your earlier post, I didn't use my truck to pull in reverse though it would've been the fastest, easiest best view etc. I also had a blanket ready which I threw on the tow strap. Thanks man! :thumbsup:

19. Feb 12, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    I should clarify that, it wasn't a "tow" strap, it was a snatch strap.

20. Feb 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Anytime. If I can save you 2400.00 I will (that is the cost of a new front diff...I replaced one on my Tundra). Sometimes it is not possible to pull from the rear of the truck, and care and caution is needed to pull from the front. Minimize shock load and ease into it, and no full throttle pulls.

21. Feb 12, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Now don't get me wrong, this rear axle has seen its fair share of HARD offroad with a healthy LS3 motor and competition 40" tires (non dot legal) for the past 6 years. This is why I run a Chevy AAM (14B) rear axle. Cheap, find them anywhere and not going to cost me 7000.00. Down side, they are heavy boat anchors on rocks.

22. Feb 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    God, idk why you'd try to off-road with a HD diesel. Makes no sense to me to use an 18 ft long truck.

ColoradoTJ, T-Rex266 and Wynnded like this.
  23. Feb 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    I can just imagine what the kid is gonna say to his dad after screwing up dads truck...lol

24. Feb 12, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Maybe it was so bad because the driver was trying to keep his Starbucks from spilling.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    FumundaTundra likes this.
  25. Feb 12, 2017 at 6:49 PM
    FumundaTundra

FumundaTundra Director of civil unrest

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Central WA.
    Vehicle:
    2009 5.7 Tundra Double cab
    Many to come.
    His Dad probably drives a mint '77 K2500. His Dad doesn't need a $70k diesel p/u, just this kid. Lol!

Black Wolf and 831Tun[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Feb 12, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    His Dad's truck..........[​IMG]

Why fuck around...............

WatTundra, NewImprovedRon and 831Tun like this.
  27. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:09 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    He'd probably be just as bad of a driver and prove it by getting that thing high centered.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Imagine inserting that rig into that video. Whooahhh

29. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    455...[​IMG]

30. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    Nice saw and cheaper than that guys body work is gonna be.

ColoradoTJ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top