1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Honest opinion on Tundra

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Jor, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Feb 15, 2020 at 5:07 AM
    Hhtundra

Hhtundra New Member

Member:
    My first car was a 1981 toyota tercel that had 340000 miles on it, toyota parts just tend to last longer, my 08 tundra had 280000 miles on it, had a f150 at one point and took a dump at 50k, have a fj right now with 200000 miles, cant beat that toyota reliability baby

Cpl_Punishment and RyanTundra12 like this.
  2. Feb 15, 2020 at 6:50 AM
    rickc5

rickc5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2019 Grey Tundra Platinum
    Rock Warrior Wheels
    My fav Jeep story: Nearby neighbor had a 1952 Jeep that her father had bought new. She said that she had "restored" it about 5 years ago. No, new seat covers & top and a repaint right over all the rust and dent is NOT a restoration. Anyway, I took it for a test drive and I got about 2 blocks and it quit. Lots of oil smoke too, but it did run for awhile. Turns out it ran out of gas, but gauges didn't work. For $5000, I turned it down. Could have easily spent another $5000-8000 and it STILL would not have been restored. Oh well.....

I'll just stick with Toyotas.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  3. Feb 15, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    To be fair, there's nothing stopping someone treating a Toyota like that, though at least the gauges are more likely to work long term.

4. Feb 15, 2020 at 7:39 AM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    I’ve owned a Tundra for all of four days now. Prior to that I’ve driven Dodge Rams for 24 years, in addition to a multitude of work vehicles. I researched endlessly on used pickups. My number one focus was reliability and longevity. Guess why I now own a used Tundra?

All the reviews and ratings dinged the Tundra for interior quality and comfort. I simply don’t see it. Granted it’s no King Ranch, but it’s more comfortable inside than any other pickup I’ve owned or driven.

My Dodge diesels had bulletproof engines hidden in Chrysler parts. My 2004 SLT averaged me around $1000 a year in repairs. The grass isn’t always greener. I had a Ford work vehicle that fried valves at 60k. Another had a litany of misfires. 2018 Chevy had a fuel pump fail at 25k and now the brake booster is going out at 36k. Another one had cracked calipers at 55k. Cracked Ford exhausts manifolds. Chevy exhaust leaks. Dodge ball joints and front end wander.

I have a lot of hunting buddies who drive Tundras. Every single one of them raves about the truck and talked about driving it 150k miles and only having to replace tires and batteries

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:10 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road, Crewmax, 5.7L Non-FFV
    None
    Amen to them being good huntin vehicles. That 38 gallon tank gives you a little more peace of mind when you’re out cruisin’ off the beaten path.

6. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    Unfortunately mine has the 26. The price tag to get into the bigger tank was going to run me about 5-8k more than I wanted to spend. I can pick up a couple of Jerry cans for a lot less than that.

7. Feb 15, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    vegas4x4

vegas4x4 Blaaack

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD CM 4x4
    Im a die hard Toyota guy. Ive probably had about 15-20 toyotas (went through a phase of buying/fixing/flipping older pickups) and I’ll probably never buy another brand. Like others have said, u wont get the most recent bells and whistles, but u get reliability in exchange. Theyre fairly user-friendly and easy to work on (i do all my own repairs and upgrades).

I absolutely love my tundra. My only complaints are poor gas milage, and the factory stereo sucks. Im an audio-enthusiasts so i knew going in i would change the stereo. Everything else has been great to me

Products Discussed in

To Top