1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Honest opinion on Tundra

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Jor, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    Jor

Jor [OP] New Member

Member:
    I currently have a Jeep , well to start with, it has issues ever since i got it. In and out of shop for 3 times , spanning over 2 months within last 6 months, and owned it for just 9 months. Yeah it's me . I am the guy . :).
    So , tired of FCA, i am looking where I can have one car, one that is reliable.
    Cheap to maintain, and i can keep till 200k(It's a dream)
    Texas, gas is cheap. Want to fulfill a dream. It's a Truck.
    Been scavenging Autotrader for last 2 months, looking for a truck. TBH, Tundra are best.
    Want an honest opinion, how good are they.
    2007+ AIP issues.
    2014 + seems AIP issues still exists.
    I am looking for a base SR5.
    What major issues can I expect.
    I don't want a car that don't want to leave the dealership.

2. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:35 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    Probably the biggest one is make sure the cam tower is not leaking. Plenty of threads here on it. It's an easy check when you're looking at buying a used one that may be out of warranty. Other than that, do your usual checklist when buying a used vehicle. ChrisFix over on YouTube has some good videos on the subject. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chrisfix+buying+used+car

Black Wolf and AZTundra like this.
  3. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    teedubbya

teedubbya I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner

4. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    1FSTREX

1FSTREX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport
    I too drive a Jeep. Mine is a lifted Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; to say the least, it isn't the best daily driver. I came from cars so I wanted something fun to drive that was "reliable", fun to drive, and got good gas mileage. So I purchased a 2003 Mini Cooper S and it couldn't have been farther from the biggest mistake I ever made. I purchased a 23' Travel Trailer that weights about 6500 lbs and did not have a truck to pull it. I towed it with my Dad's 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 and was very unimpressed. I decided to sell the MINI and purchase a truck to tow the trailer and use as my daily driver. I purchased a 2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport and I could not be happier. Gas mileage is horrible buts its a truck. Drives amazing on the road, isn't loud, drove great in the rain, tows like a diesel, and puts the biggest smile on my face every time I look at it. You won't be disappointed.

D4x4TRD and Pinay like this.
  5. Dec 6, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    They suck. Get a Ford.

6. Dec 6, 2019 at 8:22 PM
    Jor

Jor [OP] New Member

Member:
    I would rather jump into infinity than get a Ford Eco.

7. Dec 6, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    Jor

Jor [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a cherokee, v6 , well it's getting a tranny replaced at 16k(?) .Having a new Radio unit . Really, would you be comfortable driving . a car with issues with that less miles?
    So I took a Ram as rental from Enterprise to drive as my Jeep in shop for 1 month.
    TBH and not make any foe, it drives great.
    Now, guess how bad my jeep is .
    The jeep stalls in the middle of freeway.
    radio and display shuts off.
    I am tired of fighting with FCA.

Green Thunder and GODZILLA like this.
  8. Dec 6, 2019 at 8:29 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    The Tundra has suffered from the same engine and the same transmission for a long time. You know what you get from that? Reliability. Plain and simple. When the big three keep rolling out the newest engines and other shit, they have to work out the bugs which they never do completely before they roll out the next best thing in which they have to work out the bugs. It never ends.
    The Tundra is proven and is a great truck.

9. Dec 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    WFD473

WFD473 Long Live The V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northeast Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    This

GODZILLA likes this.
  10. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:00 PM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    Yes this. Not the ‘hottest’ date to the prom but easily the best. Coolest.

11. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    Tundra1078

Tundra1078 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum 4x4
    TRD dual exhaust, sway bar, TRD skid plate, grab handle (future), husky liners
    Love my tundra. No issues so far. I can’t comment on jeep, but Toyota’s philosophy and track record of building vehicles is probably the best. You don’t get the latest and greatest but you get a solid vehicle that will last a long time. Other car manufacturers spend a lot of money trying new things, then spend a lot of money trying to market that product to sell. For Toyota ‘boring’ sells.

chickenhawk01, GODZILLA and TILLY like this.
  12. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:25 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    Have had many trucks, mostly Chevy/GMC with a few Fords thrown into the mixture. Back in the day a Chevy truck with a 350 was all you could ask for or ever need, great trucks. But the new ones I've owned are complete junk. My last Sierra was probably the biggest mistake i ever made, it had problems from the day i bought it till the day i traded it in a few Months ago. A good friend of mine suggested trying a Tundra, and i thank him every-time i see him. Add me to the list of truck guys who don't need all the latest bells and whistles, because you certainly wont get that in a Tundra, what you will get is a well built truck, that rides and performs great, and is built on a platform that has been proven to be reliable. To me, that is what a truck was originally designed to do.

13. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:52 PM
    Leetomnsx

Leetomnsx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    Air lift, black out emblems, wheels, tonneau cover, tires, led lighting, hidden step rail, remote start.
    I bought a 2010 SR5 that was a flood vehicle, out of AZ? Motor had 150k. New tires, changed fluids. We drove it 200-300 miles daily and on the highway run 80-90 and it's smooth. Bought another 2016 Platinum for my personal truck. It's a little fancier, a little less jumpy with throttle, but why fix something that isn't broke? That's the 5.7 I force, a motor that's stood the test of time. Best gas truck motor period!

14. Dec 7, 2019 at 3:54 AM
    endagon

endagon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 5.7
    The AIP is supposedly better now because the truck will briefly turn on the pumps and blow out the tubes when the truck is shut off to prevent condensation from sitting in there and rusting it up. The downside is the AIP bypass trick doesn't work if they go bad.

19+ transmission cooler is gone but there's people here retrofitting one on using OEM parts.

Might get some growling from the front diff driver's side needle bearing at 30 mph in cold weather when in 2WD. Nothing an ECGS bushing doesn't fix, and it's not a pressing matter. That's on my list of things to do.

I think the problem with the PCM computing the wrong ethanol content in the FFV trucks is more or less fixed from what I've read around here. One still pops up now and again.

Still it's the most reliable pickup truck you can buy. Just look at consumer reports. Since about '15 when the old chief editor retired they sunk all the scores of the imports brands like crazy. The Tundra lost over 20 points overnight. Then they gave domestics silly scores, i.e. the Impala a 99/100 or Silverado a 91/100. Would basically hint that there's no reason to buy a Toyota. Yet go to the back of the book and the only one with above average reliability was the Tundra. Those high-scoring domestics are full of black dots because they keep dealerships in the black!

Black Wolf likes this.
  15. Dec 7, 2019 at 4:33 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    Welcome from Florida!

I have owned 3 Tundras, '05, '16, and now '20.

2005 265,000
    Brake pads and shoe (Duralast Gold Life Time)
    Brake rotors replace 3 times
    Drum once
    Center carrier bearing (230K)
    Rear transmission oil seal (230K)
    Valve cover gasket (240K)
    U-joints (230K)
    Tires
    Timing belt water pump kit 80K / 195K
    Radiator (replaced @ 195K to prepair for a 10K cross country camping trip the family.)
    Oil (every 5K)
    Gas
    Fluids
    I did not fix the secondary air pump. I carry an OBDII scan tool to reset it. After a few thousand miles, I think the ECU just gave up and went away.

2016 112,000
    Oil
    Gas
    Fluids

2020 3,300
    Gas
    Oil

Knock on wood, I have not had any major issues. The most expensive expense in the Tundra is, TUNDRAS.COM! When you hang out here, you'll be upgrading the crap of your truck forever. LOL! You'll be wanting something that you never even think you wanted to begin with.

chickenhawk01, Beans, D4x4TRD and 3 others like this.
  16. Dec 7, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Ry24000

Ry24000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD offroad Quicksand
    Debadge, ARE z series top, Ironman Foam cell pro 3" lift, SPC UCA's, ICON vector 5 & Toyo ATIII 285 75R 17, Warn 9.5XP mounted in a Victory Blitz bumper. GTR 1000LM+XTR LP Reverse Light System
    Jeeps look cool, but IMO they are the biggest POS in the 4wd world! I have heard your story dozens of times over the years about Jeep. A co-worker has hers in the shop right now. 12k miles and she is driving a rental. I would own a jeep if it were an older CJ, YJ with a Toyota engine and running gear set up for trail use. Oh wait that would be a Landcuiser. Yeah when I was looking for a "reliable trail rig" I considered Jeep, but was told that I would have to change out the entire running gear to achieve the goal or I could just get a Landcruiser and be done with it. That's what I did. Great rigs and Tundra is a direct descendant of engineering and philosophy.

I have been all over the planet. First world and Third world countries and never once did I see a jeep, ford, chevy, or dodge 4wd! You better believe Toyota was well represented. I believe the landcruiser was designed by Toyota engineers to last 25 years in a third world country. I wonder if the big 3 would consider such a goal. Doubt it Old Henry Ford himself called for his engineers do deengineer the kingpin in the original model t because it was too reliable and how could you sell "more" if the darned things if they last forever. Lee Iococa devalued the human life with the Pinto gas tanks. Look those up and you see what I'm talking about and those values continue to this day!!! Big 3 are busy getting out of the old POS gadget and into the New POS gadget.

Check out the other forums. I was shocked by the posts on the Tundra forums vs the f150 forums. F150 forums are full of "failures"!!! All kinds of things failing prematurely. Tundra forums are full of posts that reverberate pride of reliability.

Get the Tundra you won't regret it. I've owned F150 and After my Tundra I will never own anything else. My Tundra would crush my old F150 eat it and poo it out.

I get a little emotional when I hear a story like the OP story because I want to buy American first, but I can't because the big 3 engineers and top brass can't seem to put out a good reliable product! Ford has recently targeted the Tacoma with the Ranger ads. What a joke! Be careful Ford your Ranger has a POS history and I you want to compete with Taco directly....careful what you wish for Ford!

Sorry for the rant

Beans, panicman and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  17. Dec 7, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    Fire123

Fire123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 White 1794 Edition
    7" BDS w/ Fox, Fuel Wheels
    All truck manufacturers have some issues. Tundra's just have far less. Routine maintenance is simple on Tundra's and the key!!!

D4x4TRD and Longbed like this.
  18. Dec 7, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    I was in an auto parts store a few months ago getting something for my 97 Camry I had just bought (I was going through it catching up on some maintenance). The kid that was helping me recognized me from a day or 2 prior when I was buying something for my 99 Tacoma. He recognized the Toyota trend and asked me if I only drive Toyota's. I simply answered yes. He asked me "had I ever considered a Chevy or any other brand?"
    My reply was simple.. Would you rather drive a 20 year old Camry, Impala, or Taurus? He said Camry.

Long term reliability and quality is why I only drive Toyotas.

I suspect my 2012 5.7L Crewmax was an oil field rig by way of the first owner. Guys in the oil field aren't exactly known to treat their trucks well. I bought it with 84K miles 2 years ago and it has 109K on it now. Since I bought it I changed the rear diff fluid, transmission filter and fluid exchange, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, and a couple oil changes. It starts right up every time I get in it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country right now. Not only that but it gets 16MPG on the highway with a lift and 34" tires. I really wouldn't trust a Ford or Dodge to drive me across country at the drop of a hat.

chickenhawk01, Beans and panicman like this.
  19. Dec 7, 2019 at 9:31 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    My neighbor bought a newish gently used F150. I noticed it was gray metallic and had a very slight dent in the tailgate, otherwise it looked brand new.
    Within a week he pulled up in a different grey metallic f150. Then a couple weeks later it was a white f150. All looked to be perhaps a year or two old.
    I was putting my Christmas lights up and he was washing the latest one. I asked him about the change in trucks over the last month and he told me that it had been quite a saga: the first one was rusting so badly from the frame and undercarriage that when he washed it, the water runoff was brown. He traded in to the same lot, and got #2. The second one had a problem with the engine and the dealer took it back too, and he got the white one.
    My guess is that there will be a fourth before long.
    My neighbor is a helluva nice guy, and drives an f350 for work, so he must assume they are durable rigs. Too bad they are not.

OURS ARE!!

20. Dec 7, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    AdventureAddict

AdventureAddict New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement Limited TRD off road
    Love it!

21. Dec 7, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    If I recall correctly, some Tundras are still built in Canada while I think most of our GMs are coming out of Mexico. That's not the only reason to buy a Tundra or the most important one but it is a nice bonus.

Kcramer44 likes this.
  22. Dec 7, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    Longbed

Longbed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 tundra double cab longbed
    6" lift, 35's, CAI, hypertech, toytec boss coilovers.
    I installed aip bypass kit....no problems since. Slight pita but better than the 1k plus shop bill.

Owned an 02 tundra drove it for 220k...sold it to my stepson and it now has well over 300k on it with only a swapped tranny and regular maintenance. Other than some of the rust issues on first and second gens tundras are just solid rigs. The big 3s are great until you hit 90-100k then they fuck up in part because I think they are designed to only last that long. Only "American" rig I would consider owning would be a early 2000s Cummins. Imo. Oh and an old 70s Ford highboy just cause they are badass looking.

23. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    DCB500

DCB500 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TSS Double Cab
    Wheels, sound system, antenna, tailgate letter inserts, Grill/Hood Bulge, Exhaust, Leather
    Purchased my 2019 back in January of this year and this is my 2nd Toyota I’ve owned. Last one was a 98’ ish Tacoma and that thing was bullet proof. Many different cars later I found myself in need of a truck again to pull our boat. The truck is solidly built however quite easy to take things apart for modifications/upgrades. For what they cost I have a few gripes.

I know it’s a truck but gas mileage is sub par.

Stereo that comes in the truck (can’t call it an infotainment/sound system) is absolute garbage.

Interior materials should be higher quality

Other than that I am pretty happy with it and no issues thus far other than a hole in my radiator hose.

24. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    2010 Tundra here. It's difficult to beat Tundra in reliability.

Tundra1078 likes this.
  25. Feb 14, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    RyanTundra12

RyanTundra12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra DC 4x4 4.6
    2012 Tundra DC 4.6

I’ve owned 6 Toyota’s and purchased my 12 Tundra brand new. It has 60k and hasn’t cost me too much outside of wear items. Early water pump failure at 35k covered and particular to certain 12’s. I just ran into some air injection pump problems and felt like 60k was a little early for such a costly repair. As a loyal Toyota owner I was able to persuade the dealer to cover the repair and I’m happy. I swear by the truck and Toyota in general, but In reality its no more reliable than my 99 Jeep Cherokee that it replaced. I guess the next few years will be telling. We’ve also owned 4 Highlanders and each one had a couple issues that make me scratch my head, but they haven’t had problems like my friends Domestic SUV’s. I would most likely buy another Tundra. The new Ram is an attractive truck, but I grew up in a generation that became weary of buying a Dodge.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  26. Feb 14, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    You will be very happy with the Tundra. I am on my 3rd one. 2001 / 2010 / 2018. Love my 2018 Platinum. Never a single issue beyond normal maintenance for any of my trucks. Owned two Tacoma’s prior to the Tundras, and was the same experience.

No, they do not have the bells and whistles of the domestics, but I was glad to replace the stereo in my Tundra anyhow. Reliability comes at a price of losing a couple electronic functions I would rarely if ever use, and at a couple MPG. That is a fair trade off given the “reliable / luxury / price, pick only two matrix”.

I also have a bit of experience with FCA as well. I just traded in my beloved 2014 Jeep SRT with almost 70k miles. I was extremely lucky with it and only had a tie rod go out at about 40k miles, which was surely due to the Eibach Pro kits it had on it since new. The SRT was an amazing vehicle, but it’s 7 year / 70k warranty expired 1/31/20, and the rig certainly did not feel nearly as tight and refined as it used to. Which led me to trade it in on..... 2020 Pro 4Runner!

With the new infotainment screen, push button start, proximity entry, etc it really did a great job of relatively modernizing the rig. If you wanted the functionality of a SUV, with the anvil reliability it is such an amazing vehicle.

Good luck!

RyanTundra12 likes this.
  27. Feb 14, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    Toyota’s company model & focus is planning for the next generation & a reliable reputation.

the big 3’s focus is Planning for the next quarter & profits without regard to reliability.

RyanTundra12 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  28. Feb 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    Deuxlatch

Deuxlatch AirBus

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris (Latch)
    Tomball, Tx./Lafayette, La.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Tundra CM
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Big Brake kit, MotoMetal wheels, Undercover Tonneau with dual swing out saddle bag tool boxes.
    Jeep fan here! Well pre-1987 Jeeps before Chrysler took em over. Biggest overpriced POS on the road. Electrical problems out the wazoo and good luck dealing with FCA now. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. Get the Tundra, and if you got coin left over, find an old CJ and make it a project. Thats my $0.02

RyanTundra12 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  29. Feb 14, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    RyanTundra12 likes this.
  30. Feb 14, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    georgiey22

georgiey22 Moving to Idaho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra | TRD Sport | Cavalry Blue | Crew Max
    1990 Toyota pickup 250,000 miles: Oil, fluids, paint job | My truck

2001 Tacoma 150,000 miles: Oil, fluids, and suspension lift | My truck

2003 Highlander 330,000 miles: Oil, fluids, and catalytic converters | Moms SUV

2016 4Runner 41,000 miles: Oil and fluids | Wife’s SUV

2019 Tundra 8,200 miles: Just breaking it in | My truck

All of the vehicles above were/are owned since new. I miss the 2001 Tacoma the most, but it was just too small. The 5.7L is the only way to live and purchased it because of the long history of brand reliability.

Products Discussed in

To Top