1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home defense handgun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Tundra234, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Aug 5, 2020 at 6:05 AM
    Hurricane

Hurricane Default: Aggressive

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White 1794
    None
    If the handgun is going to be used solely for home defense, get something that is big enough to fit your hand well and hold a good amount of ammo. Personally, my HD rig is a Glock 34 with 17 round mags, RMR red dot sight, and a flashlight for my other hand, though I have an X300 that I could mount on the pistol if I wanted to do so.

Shotguns are not ideal weapons for home defense unless you don’t plan to move around. But even then, their low capacity and high recoil make them pretty much a one trick pony.

This is going to upset some people that aren’t trained or knowledgeable, but the ideal HD firearm is a short barreled AR-15 or other carbine. You get high capacity, low recoil, and ease of use. The AR is one of the easiest firearms to learn how to shoot well and it’s manual of operations are super easy to remember in a stressful situation. Plus, 5.56 is highly effective against intruders but won’t over-penetrate walls like shotgun buckshot will. 5.56 has a tendency to deflect when it hits wallboard and it bleeds energy rapidly. Even handgun ammo penetrates further in FBI testing.

And if you say “that’s why you use birdshot”, then you shouldn’t be using a shotgun at all. Use effective ammo for your target, or don’t shoot them at all. While birdshot might work occasionally, it’s made for small birds, and isn’t super effective on anything with any mass to it. Buckshot is what you should be using in a shotgun. If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.

PermaFrostTRD, MR TRD PRO and JoshuaA like this.
  2. Aug 5, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    Rlawshe1

Rlawshe1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM
    In my nightstand, on my side of the bed SA XDS Mod2 w/laser 9mm. On her nightstand on her side S&W bodyguard 380. Near the front door in the drawer S&W M&P shield 9mm. In the trucks consoles Glock 17 gen4’s. Break into our house, and we WILL use you for target practice

3. Aug 5, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    salmonator

salmonator New Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 4x4 DC
    Any home defense gun NEEDS to have a light mounted on it.

Shooting handguns one handed sucks, a lot. It’s something we should practice, and it’s hard to do well.

a hand held flashlight means one handed pistol shooting.

All handguns suck compared to an AR15.

JH5370 likes this.
  4. Aug 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    I get serious side eye when I say I have no interest in a shotgun for home defense. Just not an intuitive or natural platform for me in high stress drills.

Hurricane[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 5, 2020 at 8:55 AM
    Hurricane

Hurricane Default: Aggressive

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White 1794
    None
    Having actually done drills and shot quite a bit of shotgun over the years, I can easily tell you I’m highly proficient with my shotguns, but they are the last thing I will ever grab for defending myself.

6. Aug 5, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    hey smell this

hey smell this New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    I have a S&W 9mm pistol in my nightstand for home defense. My shotgun sits in the closet, unloaded and not useful in a quick situation. I have kids so I can’t leave it loaded, and I don’t feel like buying a safe for it since i don’t plan on buying any more long guns anytime soon. I like the idea of having a shotgun, but I don’t hunt so I don’t need it. I don’t even really enjoy shooting it.

maybe I should just sell it.

7. Aug 5, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    Although you'll find the 'never sell a gun' gun crowd, I have no problem selling a firearm I have no use (or love) for.
    Over the years I've sold my least desired gun(s) to buy something else I wanted.

JimBeam and ColoradoTJ like this.
  8. Aug 5, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I just sold my last shotgun this past week...for the same reason.

JH5370 and 1lowlife[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Aug 5, 2020 at 1:24 PM
    hey smell this

hey smell this New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    I bought another 9mm pistol yesterday for carrying, which I really wanted, and sort of felt guilty about spending the money when I have a shotgun sitting there which i could sell. Maybe guilt is not the right word...but the knowledge my wife will be pissed at me for spending $400 when she finds out.

but it really is hard to part with a perfectly good gun even though I don’t use it. Thank god I live in a country where I can have this first world problem of which gun to keep.

aperezsh likes this.
  10. Aug 5, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    I've heard it is easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission..:eek2:

Don't get me wrong, I have safe queens I NEVER shoot.
    But those are to be given to my kids when the time comes..

11. Aug 5, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    realtorblake

realtorblake Tundra Thunda

Member:
    Redneckistan... aka Cypress, TX
    2019 Crewmax Platinum 5" Zone lift Fox 2.5 /OME suspension 12.5x35x18 ProComp's
    You need to choose the best weapon/weapon's for your unique home defense situation. There is not a universal "Best home defense weapon" out there.

equin likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top