1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hesitation in passing gear.

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by storm chaser, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Aug 12, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    storm chaser

storm chaser [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra TRD
    small lift
    I recently had my truck serviced for a little hesitation in passing gear and while pulling a travel trailer. Mechanic updated software and cleaned the throttle body. I replaced the spark plugs a while back and no luck. Any suggestions?

2. Aug 12, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
  3. Aug 12, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    storm chaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra TRD
    small lift
    The engine is a 5.7 225,000 miles and oil changed regularly. Runs great just when it is shifting into overdrive.. I have owned the truck since 2015. It has been doing this for about 3 months. I have had an instance recently that when the truck is idling for about 10 minutes it starts to run real rough. I have run seafoam through her several times and doesn't seem to help. If I step on it to pass it won't hesitate, its more of a slow pass or when I have cruise control and going over an overpass and it kicks down to keep speed.

4. Aug 12, 2021 at 9:13 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    throttle body, MAF cleaning. change plugs if it has been close or over 50k miles since last change. I would do a drain and fill on the trans as well and hook up a reader to see if the truck is throwing any codes. With those miles, coil packs could have issues or hairline cracks which would cause missfire and rough running at times.

The trucks do act funky sometimes when in cruise and accelerating, noted here on the forums before, folks considered it more normal vs a problem.

5. Aug 13, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    storm chaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra TRD
    small lift
    Yesterday I had to wait in a line and it started running real rough. The check engine light was flashing. It stayed constant for a bit and then the 4 lo light is flashing and the traction off light is on.

6. Aug 13, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    then you have codes that you need to check. get a code reader or go to the auto parts stores that will read the codes for you and see whats up.

GoDawgs likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top