1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help: Catastrophic Engine Failure 5.7L V8

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by 4Runner_1986, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Feb 28, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    You should be afraid of AC. We calibrate "thumpers" up to 120,000 DCV and 100,000 ACV at 120 milliamps FS. We have a spotter when working with ACV that high. Not with DCV. You can smell the ozone. Just sayin. Death is final....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Tundra2 likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2021 at 1:28 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    12 volts is not going to kill you. Amperage is a factor if resistance, in this case the resistance of the body. I believe 40 volts is the minimum for safety purposes. It's the amperage that kills but amperage is tied directly to resistance. The human body has a high enough resistance so 12 volts will not provide enough amps to kill. Then there's the path of the current. The human heart uses electrical signals to make it beat. As a kid we tested 9 volt batteries by touching them to our tongue. The path was from one terminal across the tongue to the other terminal.

As for the OP, more information is needed. Who did the work? When exactly did it "explode"? Did anyone take the motor apart to figure out what was the cause of the failure? Did anyone check the oil level?

I've known several people who decided to see if their engine would run underwater without a snorkel. The end result is usually a bent or broken rod. But this is an engine that is running at 2000 rpm or higher. Did this happen immediately when starting up?

I can remember a local muffler and brake shop made a mistake. They let the owner of the car back it out of the bay after doing the front brakes. The pedal went to the floor and the guy panicked and made a big circle in reverse and backed into the building. The mechanic was fired because neither company policy or the insurance company allowed customers to do this. If a dealer changed the knock sensor they must have started and driven the vehicle out of the shop unless it happened while in the bay. If it happened in the bay then it'll be hard for the dealer to say it's unrelated without proof of what happened.

3. Feb 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Literally a few posts before I said that, someone was calling it spam. Other people said they were "skeptical". That isn't much different than saying she is lying.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Tundra2 likes this.
  4. Feb 28, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    I’m a Substation Master technician. I work with 345KV regularly. I’ve been an instructor for years for one of the largest utilities in the US. I’ve pulled personal grounds down off AC that drew an arc to my feet. I’m well aware of the dangers. But, when I get hit with DC it bothers me more. That’s all I’m saying. Neither are pleasant.

5. Feb 28, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Yeah. 1 post said skeptical (really 2, but the other was referring to being skeptical that it was caused by something falling in to the engine). The one who posted the spam pics said a few posts later that they didn’t really think it was spam. Out of over 60 posts. I’ll change my comment to over 96% of the posts didn’t say she was lying.

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. Feb 28, 2021 at 2:45 PM
    Rubberdown

Rubberdown Spilling my guts here.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    I read all three pages but didn’t see anything that actually seemed to help. Sorry if I missed the good answers.

knock sensors detect detonation in a cylinder and retard timing in an effort to combat it. There is nothing that could happen with either a bad sensor or a wire grounded, that would cause an engine failure. At most it would default to very retarded timing and it would be a little down on power.

Your engine was 10 years old. There is basically zero chance something metallurgically wrong with it would cause it to break at this point.

Engines window a block for one reason only. Something was loose inside the engine and a rod/crank shoved whatever it was through the side of the block. Someone said that has to happen at high rpm and that’s not true at all. I’ve watched motors do it at idle.

What dealer work was performed? It sounds like they diagnosed it, you drove it home, replaced the sensor, and the motor blew on first start, is that correct?

If so, how did you gain access to the knock sensor? I believe you have to pull the intake manifold off, and if you did I’ll almost guarantee a bolt or some other foreign object went in one of the cylinder ports and into a cylinder, or jammed a valve open which is the equivalent, which destroyed the piston, and in turn windowed the block and took out another piston/rod with debris.

Hope that helps.

Black Wolf, Tundra2 and Half Assed like this.
  7. Feb 28, 2021 at 2:57 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Kuul. Not all of the members here are aware of the dangers when working with high tension situations. Your previous post didn't indicate your experience when working with high tension. The small details. Ha! When I worked for Southern Kommiefornicating Edison we would have weekly safety meetings every Thursday. A long time lineman for SCE gave a talk on measuring high tension volts. He showed pics where a helo would drop him on a high tension line and he would use a high voltage divider probe connected to a Fluke DMM. The probe was connected to live 500K at a couple hundred feet up. He had balls needless to say:thumbsup:

JLS in WA and BTBAKER[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Feb 28, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Those guys are bat shit crazy. Live line bare handing 100s of thousands of volts is something I will never be interested in.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 28, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I'll try to find the pic of this guy. Back then the Fluke would have been a 70's series handheld DMM. We still get them in for calibration. The pic made it to the Orange County Register newspaper. Almost 30 years ago now. He made the hi voltage divider himself. We supported SCE San Onofre nuke plant. Across from the cal lab building was SCE's armature repair/reconditioning facility. The armature's were from SCE's hydro dams. Big mothers to say the least. Those guys earned every dime they worked for. Big $. IBEW folks. Good convos until OP chimes back in. That's if we didn't scare her off.....heh

BTBAKER[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 28, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Seaflea

Seaflea New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    I agree 100%. I call BS on this ...

11. Feb 28, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    IBEW myself. Yep, we are off track. LOL.
    If this gal is legit I hope she gets her questions answered.

The Dude and Black Wolf[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Feb 28, 2021 at 3:49 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Hope she is legit too. Also explains why you have a crazy job. A good crazy job. At least you didn't spend $70K for liberal arts bs degree. This is off the track but we will need more folks like you and me. I'm hanging for at least 5 more years. I'll be 70. I love my work. I have serious reservations about replacing us now. Of course you are still young. Too much focus on worthless degrees. We can't get quality folks to replace or fill a high paying job at our cal lab. Everything pretty much needs to be calibrated or validated. I am somewhat worried about that....

Seaflea likes this.
  13. Feb 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    BTBAKER likes this.
  14. Feb 28, 2021 at 4:12 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    :thumbsup:
    You are correct. Nobody wants to do this stuff. It’s served me well and provided a great income as it has you.
    When I first got into the industry I would go with line crews and be part of “thumping” line looking for faults.
    Just about every piece of test equipment I utilize to do my job gets calibrated. Doble, Vanguard and Megger to name a few so thanks for what you do.:thumbsup:

15. Feb 28, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    At least someone here knows what "thumpers" are besides me! We cal lots of Megger test equipment. Lot. TTR's especially. PM me please who calibrates your test equipment. We might be doing it already.

16. Feb 28, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    I will. We haven’t had our TTR calibrated for a while but it’s a Vanguard.

17. Feb 28, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
  18. Feb 28, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    bc2.jpg

BTBAKER likes this.
  19. Feb 28, 2021 at 9:10 PM
    chugs

chugs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ciao
    Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Blue Streaker
  20. Mar 1, 2021 at 1:37 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    That's not likely to happen when parents tell their kids, "if you don't go to college, you'll clean toilets for a living":D

21. Mar 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM
    4Runner_1986

4Runner_1986 [OP] New Member

Member:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8
    knock sensor was replaced by us, not the dealer. as was able to locate part online. The dealer was 3 weeks out and had 147 parts on backorder at the man distribution center.
    I am 100% confident nothing fell down any of the intakes. Engine is ready to be torn down, but finding someone reputable to tear it down is the issue. Toyota will not let you talk to a technician, will not let you video record teardown. Dealer is blaming us because we replaced the sensor & are accusing us of dropping something in it without any teardown. Corporate won't help & won't acknowledge teardown unless done by a dealer. Dealer had the vehicle for 2 weeks and all they managed to do was say, "you have a hole in the engine, you must have caused it, and here's your rig back with a dead battery. Your own your own getting it our of our shop"

22. Mar 3, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    @4Runner_1986 so just to be clear - a Toyota dealership diagnosed a faulty knock sensor and that a rat chewed the wires... then you replaced the sensor... then you took it back to the dealership after it blew up at home?

23. Mar 3, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    fbingha

fbingha New Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    You opened up the engine then it blew up after you put it back together.

There is no way this is Toyota's fault.

Half Assed and landphil like this.
  24. Mar 3, 2021 at 6:38 PM
    B.Ross

B.Ross New Member

Member:
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 TForce CrewMax 4wd
    3pgs.... 2 posts by OP.....vague

This thread is :monocle:

After a 150mile drive home and DIY knock sensor replacement, it then detonates on start up.

How is this Toyota's fault?

Sorry for your loss OP.

25. Mar 3, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    Rubberdown

Rubberdown Spilling my guts here.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Yeah. You are 100 percent on your own there.

landphil likes this.
  26. Mar 3, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    GV_5Z32FPgV79mHzJdZIyZviu2VliMZrrA3APA6a_4dae5f315902e895e45680d191eaba2b985fc214.jpg

landphil likes this.
  27. Mar 3, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    I have agree with the dealer on this one based on the info provided. Or the rat. Poor, poor rat.:(

28. Mar 3, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Unfortunately, @4Runner_1986 100% of the repair cost for this will be on you. Sorry for your misfortune.

All the dealer did was diagnose a bad knock sensor, and send you away saying it was safe to drive home 150 miles. And, he was right, it was safe to drive. You found and bought the replacement part, and installed it yourself. Two cylinders holed the block on startup. It's a mystery what caused this failure, but the dealer can't take responsibility for your parts, and your labor, done at your location.

29. Mar 4, 2021 at 1:58 AM
    Texas_Cowboy

Texas_Cowboy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Limited Platinum
    XB LED Headlights, 1k lumen reverse lights
    I have never heard of a bad knock sensor causing a rod to be thrown. I would like to know the final outcome tho. I switched from Ford because of the reliability and longevity of Toyota engines.

30. Mar 4, 2021 at 2:49 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    Sorry about your motor ElkHunter, but this one is on you.

Products Discussed in

To Top