1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help: Catastrophic Engine Failure 5.7L V8

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by 4Runner_1986, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    4Runner_1986

4Runner_1986 [OP] New Member

Member:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8
    Looking for help in finding a Toyota 5.7L engine designer\engineer or technician who has knows how these 5.7L V8 engines are designed to perform\fail when a knock sensor becomes disconnected from engine (rat chewed wire). Vehicle year is 2011. Long story short, knock sensor code error thrown for once side, dealer said it was safe to drive vehicle 150 miles home, electrocuted dead rat found under exhaust manifold with chewed up knock sensor wire. Knock sensor replaced, vehicle started and 2 holes immediately were blown in engine - one of each side of engine - rear cylinder near transmission. Dealer technicians do not have experience with catastrophic engine failures, dealer is trying to blame us for the failure, when it is clearly not our fault. Toyota customer care refuses to send issue onto the toyota plant where these engines are designed and made in the US. Need to know if anyone has ever seen this happen before. I know earlier 2nd gen engines had metallurgical defects and rods punched thru the side wall. Here, same case, rods severed and large hole on both sides of engine. See pics. Problem is, the metallurgical issue with the camshaft was supposed to have been solved in previous years so Toyota doesn't want to investigate as this could seriously lead to major recalls or class action lawsuits. Please help!!!

Attached Files:

Cg13055 likes this.
  2. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:46 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    dang thats crazy

fixnfly and HighonFirewood like this.
  3. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    The dealer owes you an engine. If they refuse, take them to court.

stuckinohio, JohnLakeman and koditten like this.
  4. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Engine go boom, it happens. Rod broke and tried to play peek-a-boo everywhere it could. Doubt it has anything to do with the 07 metallurgical camshaft failure. Knock system goes safe by default, but anything is possible.:notsure:

joonbug likes this.
  5. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:21 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    IMO, knock sensor problem is unrelated to this failure. Failures from faulty knock sensors would occur over a longer period of time, and on a smaller scale. Engines don't just explode, regardless of what octane gasoline you're using. But, I would believe exceeding the red-line could cause an engine to explode.

Where did the failure occur? If it occurred in the dealer's shop, he owes you an engine.

6. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:25 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Blew my 4.0L inline 6 on a Jeep XJ, but havent heard of anything like this.
    :popcorn:

7. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    Rotaryphoneuser

Rotaryphoneuser New Member

Member:
    Ontario. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement CrewMax
    Bouncing off the rev limiter.......maybe. Just by starting the engine.....never seen it.

Seaflea likes this.
  8. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    @ViktorG Any thoughts for OP?

D4x4TRD likes this.
  9. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:40 PM
    Supra Dr

Supra Dr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 SC TRD PRO
    TRD blower w/ Toyota ECU & software
    If you have full coverage insurance they will pay for all of it since the initial wire harness issue was caused by mouse damage.

OBXTundra and dorton like this.
  10. Feb 26, 2021 at 11:09 PM
    ViktorG

ViktorG Lexus/Toyota Master Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    World's fastest supercharged Tundra - 2010 RCSB - 10.8 @122 - All wheel drive conversion, lowered, supercharged 2008 DCLB - All wheel drive conversion, 13" lift on 37's
    when a knock sensor fault code is set, the ECM will set ignition timing to maximum retard as a fail safe. This will reduce engine power, I can’t see how that would be connected to the failure your engine experienced.

11. Feb 26, 2021 at 11:34 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Yea. Soo to get to the knock sensors the plenum has to come off... did someone happen to drop anything down the intake when it was being worked on?? Engines don’t just throw rods when started up.. after 7 years of working at a Toyota dealer, I’ve yet to have a 5.7 come in with a failure that wasn’t created by someone doing a repair wrong. And the 2 I’ve replaced were due to timing chains being installed incorrectly and valves touching pistons.. never seen one throw a rod. Let alone on first start up

Skew12, equin, Darkness and 9 others like this.
  12. Feb 27, 2021 at 4:53 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    What I'm talking about. It takes an incredible amount of kinetic energy to blow the engine internals THROUGH the cylinder case, meaning the rotating/reciprocating parts inside had to be moving VERY FAST.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  13. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:12 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    12VDC max electrocutes a rat, tough to imagine that.

14. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:35 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    I would second what @graysquirrel said initially.. Make some noise, my coworker got taken advantage by some predatory company years ago, and she went to the local news and created a very uncomfortable environment for the company. She got what she wanted, plus some... I forget what exactly it was. but it appeared it worked..

15. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:40 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    Engine likely ingested debris.

Edit

It looks like a piston or connecting rod broke.

A knock sensor failure will not cause that damage instantaneously.

If the knock sensors are under the intake then its almost 100% that a bolt, fastener, etc fell into the intake manifold.

Darkness and JimboSlice413 like this.
  16. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Rat must have been riding a wrench that fell across the starter terminals. :rofl:

17. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:21 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    Man, I am all for justice and dealers
    can be iffy, but how does a rat problem become a dealer or Toyota responsibility?

This is obviously a rare occurrence on a 5.7, let alone any make or model of current truck. But how would any mechanic foresee a catastrophic failure if you drove home?
    -Running with 4 broken lug nuts, maybe.
    -hole in the oil pan, maybe.
    -blown radiator hose, maybe.

I mean , yeah it’s bad advice,
    A coincidence, or just unlucky occurrence.

I hope the dealer says, “hey buddy let us help you out and make you a good deal on an agreeable resolve.” I truly do. And it sucks with a broken vehicle and I feel for you.
    But ultimately was it a rodent, bad repair job, history with a decade old vehicle? Who knows? Hard to prove.

Fearthisbeard and Darkness like this.
  18. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:23 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    The early camshaft issue was indeed fixed. Was caught early. Over 100,000 Tundras were built in 07. The camshaft affected less than 2 dozen Tundras. 14 years ago. Just sayin.

JohnLakeman likes this.
  19. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    More to the story?

fixnfly, Larly5000, snivilous and 3 others like this.
  20. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    This^^^^^

JohnLakeman[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    Looks like the chain of events were:

knock sensor failure from rodent.
    Truck taken to dealer.
    Knock sensor replaced.
    Engine destroyed on start up.

I bet the story and plot thickens--OP you need to get inside the engine to see if there is signs of a bolt that fell into the intake. Look for a heavily damaged bolt in the oil pan or possibly stuck in piston top. There could even be witness marks on top of piston of threads from fastener. The cylinder heads will also look like it has heavy shot-peen type of damage.

22. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Dealer worked on engine.
    Dealer said you’re good to go.
    Engine grenades upon startup.

How is the dealer not liable here?

Best advice so far is from @blanchard7684 to look for what the service tech dropped into the intake. Could it be the old sensor or some of the wiring even?

chugs, Cpl_Punishment and Sunnier like this.
  23. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    The forensics should be done, but I'm skeptical a foreign object dropped into the intake could be the sole cause of that much damage. Something else was also involved. Damage from valve or valve seat dropping directly into the cylinder (worst case?) is often repairable, even if it means a full rebuild with oversize pistons. Probably not the most cost-effective choice.

4Runner_1986[OP] likes this.
  24. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    When I was a full time mechanic years ago...This exact scenario happened to me and I'll never forget it. Worst mistake I ever made as a mechanic. I had to pay for the repairs out of pocket.

I did an injector replacement on a Chevy 3.1. It was Friday and my mind was on getting out of work early.

I had ordered the injectors based off a previous diagnosis of a leaking injector. Customer was an older lady. The 3.1 had 190,000 miles on it. She needed to get it down the road a bit more. I scheduled her to bring car back once I got injectors in.

It was stupid simple job. I got the upper half of intake off. pulled the injector rails. swapped the injectors and o-rings. replaced the rails. cycled the key to check for leaks. good to go.

I didn't realize in the process of doing this one or more injector bolts dropped through the injector port into the lower intake port. I didn't use a magnetic tray for the bolts.

I reinstalled the injector rail and had to hunt for two bolts that were missing. lol...duh...wow. reinstalled upper intake.

Well I found the bolts later...stuck in cylinder head and piston.

When I started the car it clattered like utter hell. Thinking I didn't make a huge mistake, and that it was carbon flaking off on a 190000 mile engine, I let it run...then it stopped.

The whole engine had damage. I didn't window the block, but:

2 pistons were broke in pieces. I found remnants of the bolt pressed in to one.
    2 broke connecting rods.
    crankshaft damaged from overload.
    One cylinder head was toast.
    Cylinder damage was extensive but barely salvageable.

I still to this day about 20 years later have the mangled bolt I dropped in the engine as a morbid memento.

I got sweaty palms reading this incident from the OP. I was in the tech's shoes.

I fessed up to the shop manager. He was pissed. But I offered to pay for everything out of pocket and work round the clock until car is repaired.

I even fixed other things as I saw them...radiator, water pump, etc...all out of pocket.

lesson learned for me: you'd be amazed at what a small fastener can do when it is in an engine going over 1000 rpm.

EDIT:

I have windowed a block unexpectedly...A friend needed help getting a Ford 7.3 non turbo diesel started.

I didn't realize it had a massive head gasket issue. Niether did my friend. He just bought it.

We got it to turn over. After several ether sprays it started. It quickly began rattling. Then almost thundering. Then we saw smoke.

Block was windowed. We tore it down for parts and found the huge head gasket leak that put water in multiple cylinders.

This was out in a field in the middle of nowhere. We didn't notice until later the area around the exhaust pipe was muddy...lol..

MS22, chugs, snivilous and 9 others like this.
  25. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    It takes less than 1/2 of an amp to kill a person, doesn’t matter if that amp is generated from ac or dc power.

Edit: Apparently dc is considered safer due to impedance. But my point is that it doesn’t take much amperage to be killed or seriously injured and so I imagine for a rat it could happen.

Danny3737 likes this.
  26. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    I interpreted the write up differently. To me it sounded like a chewed wire replaced.
    But yeah , you’re right. If the whole top was pulled off for sensor and harness, it’s be hard to think some debris wasn’t lost in there.
    I’d assume they’d would have ran it, run diagnostics and test drive. Maybe I give them to much credit.

Sunnier and Terndrerrr[QUOTED] like this.
  27. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I had something similar happen to a Jeep 4.0. I was replacing exhaust manifold, and if I recall correctly, intake had to come off for some reason (maybe accessibility to bolts? It's been a while...). Anyway, I didn't get the gasket set correctly in the intake when I reinstalled it. On startup the engine immediately revved uncntrolled. Fortunately the 4.0 doesn't rev fast, and I cut it off immeduately, maybe hitting 4000 rpm. Googled the issue, got the gasket to seal properly and never had another issue. Until 20,000 miles later when it broke a piston skirt. Related? I don't know. I think the piston slap was there before I did the repair - it was just masked by the leaky, noisy exhaust manifold.

Wonder if something similar happened here, only they didn't cut ignition soon enough to prevent over-revving it?

JohnLakeman likes this.
  28. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    Sundog

Sundog Zoom Zoom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MNSP
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red CM Tundra
    Ouch...sorry you are going through this. Hopefully the dealer steps up...

29. Feb 27, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Who did the work? If your engine didn’t have holes in it before the repair and now has a couple of holes in it after the repair, I kinda feel like whoever did the work should be responsible. :notsure:

30. Feb 27, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    The Dude

The Dude New Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ, not anymore :(
    I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. That really sucks man!

This statement does not indicate WHO replaced the knock sensor. As far as I'm interpreting it, OP contacted the dealer on the phone, then drove the truck home. Next statement says there was a dead rat found. By whom, OP or the dealer? Then, sensor is replaced, the truck is started, and engine immediately grenaded itself.

Need clarification

Again, where did the engine blow, at the dealership, after they worked on it? Yeah, I'd say they owe you an engine. Or, was it in your garage?

JLS in WA, D4x4TRD and JohnLakeman like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top