1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head-unit Constantly Rebooting...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by allenng, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Oct 30, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    -E5J-

-E5J- New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Pro
    That's even better... Glad you're doing well.

2. Nov 4, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    sappsucker

sappsucker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Improved suspension
    This just happened to me with the iOS 13.x upgrade. I have to turn Bluetooth off for it to stop. Someone wrote there is a URL where you can download a new ETune and flash your head units software. Does anyone know where it is or where the URL is in this huge thread! Damn I miss the 1996 Tacoma’s simplicity, I’m getting older but the only thing I like with new vehicles is the backup camera! I don’t want things to need firmware/software updates every time my phone changes....how lazy we are. I worked tech for 15 years and try to avoid it as much as possible now. Life was fine with modems, analog cell phones...well we’d be up Schitt’s Creek without GPS now. All of these are targets for IOT attacks...thanks in advance from someone transitioning from 1996 to 2018 Toyota trucks. Give me back my manual tranny too!

thanks,
    Sappsucker

3. Nov 5, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    Sappsucker - the issue is most likely your phone, and the firmware update isn’t going to fix it. See my post that starts ”Fixed Today” and go through those steps first... takes less than 5 minutes total. If that doesn’t work, you can move on and try the USB radio software update.

4. Nov 15, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    sappsucker

sappsucker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Improved suspension
    Did the 13.2.2 update fix the problem? Mine SEEMS to be working after I updated...

5. Nov 17, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    ifishinxs

ifishinxs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Cedar city, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra limited
    None! I tow a boat weekly
    I’ve done the update on mine. It worked great for a few months now anytime blue tooth is connected my head unit shuts off and re boots over and over. Some say this is a phone issue. My problem with that is my phone works great in every vehicle I’ve been in. Yeah, it’s phone related but the bottom line is the JBL head unit is bad. You should not need to stand in your head while deleting and adding apps to make you head unit work. I’m installing a new head unit this week. I’m done!

6. Nov 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Can’t speak for others, but I haven’t had a single issue since following the steps I posted above. Apparently this is an issue on other Toyota vehicles as well. It takes less than 5 minutes to go through the steps... might give it a try while you’re waiting to have the new HU installed to see if it works.

7. Nov 18, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    Buck Fever

Buck Fever New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CM SR5 TRD Off Road
    I have a 19 SR5 TRD OR w/entune plus and this just started happening to me. Happened a couple times randomly the last couple weeks, but now today it is constant crashing every minute to minute and a half. I have iphone Xs max and I just updated to ios 13.2.3 today. This made no difference. I did try the steps that a couple people have posted and that make no difference. This only happens when the phone is connected via bt. I have not tried connecting usb and no bt to see if that works since I will only be using my phone w/ bt. I used it all last week and no real issues, but for some reason today the crashing is constant?? If I disable bt the radio works normal. I have an appointment in 2 days w/the dealer to see what they say. I am not sure how common this is or if I just happened to get a bad system like a few others.

8. Nov 18, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    Chall

Chall New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    I spoke with Toyota Corporate and they explained that they are currently working with Apple to resolve the issue. The radio works fine as long as your disconnected from BT. USB also works you just won’t be able to use hands free calling.

9. Nov 30, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Same thing here on my 2019. Went to the dealer yesterday because they said they had a fix. They actually didn't. Said that the fix was for 2018 and before and they could not find an update for the 2019 model year. I said that Entune popped up a message about a mandatory update and they said to update and see what happens. That only worked for a day. I will keep an eye on this thread. Hopefully something gets figured out soon. Super annoying.

10. Nov 30, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Will they communicate to you when the problem has been resolved?

11. Nov 30, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    My father’s 4 runner was doing the same thing last week. I went through the I Phone steps one by one and it resolved the issue. I haven’t had a single reboot since the Apple store guy fixed mine. Hope you guys figure it out.... sucks to drive without a BT radio and phone.

12. Nov 30, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    What does reset “network settings” mean?

13. Nov 30, 2019 at 1:28 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    go to settings - general - then you’ll have the option to reset network settings. Don’t reset anything else... just the network settings. Let me know if it works. Just make sure you follow the steps in order, and do each thing listed. Good luck.

14. Nov 30, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Thanks

15. Nov 30, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Just followed all the steps. did not work. Thanks though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  16. Nov 30, 2019 at 3:45 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    If there’s an Apple store near by... maybe stop in and see if one of the Genius Bar guys/gals that can come out and try to get it working for you. Good luck.

17. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    Buck Fever

Buck Fever New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    I have no new good news. The dealer ordered me a new radio which they initially said a few days, however still no radio nearing two weeks now. This could be due to holidays and/or demand?? I will follow up again with the delay in a day or two. I wonder how many people this is really affecting, because I thought there would be more on this site talking about it than there is. It does suck without BT, especially since we are a hands free state here in MN. I will update when I get any news.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  18. Dec 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Who did you speak with at Toyota? Or what phone number did you use?

19. Dec 5, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    Buck Fever

Buck Fever New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Update!! Long story and I will try to shorten it. Received new radio and no change on my end (I was pi**ed). Found out other iphones work w/my radio fine, with and without the same ios. So I wiped my phone completely and started as new, then the Bluetooth with my truck worked as it was suppose to. I then restored my phone from the backup on my computer and tested again. Again, there were issues as the radio crashed as before. So now I wiped my phone again and restored from icloud (minus my pics because of time) and now the phone works again with the radio connected by Bluetooth. This was first time my phone was working with everything back on it minus my pics. Next I will try to get my pics back on my phone from my previous computer restore, then I will back them up to the cloud, wipe again, and finally try to restore from the cloud with my photos this time. Hopefully with a good result. My dealer swears my previous radio did not work properly and this one is good?? I cant confirm either way, but I do know that there must be some corrupted data on my phone that carries over to my backup on my pc, and for whatever reason if I back up to the cloud it seems to not save the corrupted data. GRRR I have spent hours doing this plus calling Apple. I am not sure this helps anyone and it's time consuming, but I am sharing my results. If another of my iPhones with the same ios works then damn, mine should work too!!! Good luck to all having issues.

20. Dec 5, 2019 at 4:49 PM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I was searching an apple forum and some people were saying to turn off the “sync contacts” option and it was working after that for them. I am sitting in my truck in my garage now and my radio has not reset yet. But I think it will take a couple days to know for sure.

Go to Settings>Bluetooth> Tap the “i” next to Toyota Tundra>Sync Contacts.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250719617

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  21. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Overwatch

Overwatch New Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    I purchased a new 2019 October 24th and have been dealing with this "reboot" issue since. I was initially excited in hearing that not syncing contacts would work (and it did...) until my Ring doorbell was pushed and my radio literally had a meltdown. It froze for at least 2 minutes and then rebooted.

I have also noticed that attempting to access Slacker from the Apps menu will not allow me to scroll up and down.

I am seriously sick of these issues with Apple and Toyota.

Someone needs to have a sit down and figure this out. I told my dealership the I absolutely love my truck (and I do) but only if the radio is on AM/FM/XM.

22. Dec 6, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    Buck Fever

Buck Fever New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Frustrated update... I have spent too much time on this and really not getting anywhere. I do know that not all phones are affected, even if they are the same phone, carrier, os, etc. But I am here because my phone does not work properly after about the last 2 ios updates. I have resorted to having my phone paired, but without syncing my contacts as spyshot posted. That does seem to work, which is better than no bt. This crap can consume you if you are ocd. Weekend is here and time for a cold one! Grrr....

23. Dec 6, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Yes it is a temporary fix. But now at least I can take phone calls and listen to music. I’m very happy about that. Hopefully Apple will come out with a bug fix update in the near future.

Sgood036 likes this.
  24. Dec 8, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    Sgood036

Sgood036 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport
    None. Besides Tonneau cover and all-weather floor mats.
    Hi all - new to this Toyota forum. I have a 2018 Toyota Tundra TRD sport with 50k miles, so out of warranty. My bluetooth with my iPhone (i don't have an apple watch) and H/U has worked just fine since day one until I recently updated my iPhone to the latest SW version 13.2.3. Then my H/U reboots about every minute or two, so I had to disconnect bluetooth, and the H/U works for. OK....so here's the kicker where I need to really vent!
    Took it to the dealer last week. They said they've been hearing a few issues with connectivity but not much (which is total BS after I spoke with the technician). Anyway my H/U SW was out of date, so the technician tried to update the SW and said there was an error, so the H/U was bad. They told me $6k for a new unit (and after I dropped several f bombs at them), they said they could get me a refurbished H/U for $1500 (still WTF??). Any, I told them to stick it (in a nice way), and they charged me $155 diagnostic fee telling my my H/U was bad. I just did the SW download myself to a USB and it updated perfectly on the H/U and I'm now updated to the latest version. (so again, the dealer screwed me royally, and would have gladly sold me a $6k H/U). Problem is it still didn't fix the problem. Even with the latest SW (010192 000099), it is still rebooting on me. I also connected my phone to their courtesy shuttle at the Toyota dealer which was a 2018 Toyota Sienna, and had the exact same issue. I believe this is a compatibility issue between iPhone SW and Entune SW, not a H/U issue, and the dealer screwed me out of $155 diagnostic fee, and would have sold me a new H/U for $6k which still wouldn't have fixed the problem. Anyone else heard of such an experience? This was Suburban Toyota in Farmington Hills, MI.
    Anyone found a solution to the problem yet? (I did receive my iTunes on my phone but that also didn't resolve it). Thanks for any hints and suggestions. Love my Tundra, frustrated with this issue.

25. Dec 8, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    TimmyTundra

TimmyTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Crewmax 4WD TSS Edition
    None yet
    THANK YOU for sharing this. My Entune started rebooting this past Tuesday every 30-45 seconds. I started googling for answers and did not find anything helpful. I tried updating the software from the Toyota website with a USB as many sites recommended but the update didn’t take, error message said “contact the dealer”. I tried the fix below this morning and so far it’s working perfectly. Has not rebooted since. I am still considering replacing the head unit as it seems with Entune it’s always something..... I have not been able to connect Messages to my phone for over a year now. Toyota must do better!

WNY PAT[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Dec 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    Sgood036

Sgood036 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    I turned off the Sync my Contacts feature and it hasn’t rebooted on my yet. Don’t have my contacts now in the H/U but at least my Bluetooth / hands free calling works again. As this happened after my last IOS update on my iPhone to 13.2.3, I’m hoping Apple comes out with a fix.

27. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Installed ios 13.3 today and turned on sync contacts. So far so good. Post if its working for you.

Sgood036 likes this.
  28. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    Sgood036

Sgood036 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    Hi spyshot - thanks for the update. I’ll be updating my iOS to 13.3 soon and look forward to turning back on my contacts and seeing if that works for me. Seems quite evident it’s an issue with the iOS SW not the H/U. Still amazed my dealer told me I needed a new H/U and it’s $6k....and wouldn’t have even fixed the problem. Someone should get disciplined for that robbery.

29. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    FWIW - the 13.1.3 update didn’t fix mine. My fingers are crossed for you guys. Frustrating issue to say the least while you’re finding a fix. Ugh.

30. Dec 11, 2019 at 4:38 AM
    spyshot

spyshot New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    The new update is 13.3

Products Discussed in

To Top