1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have you ever tried to cancel Direct TV?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by gosolo, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jan 16, 2018 at 4:54 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    To add to the list of limitations, if you’re in the sticks and have satellite internet and have a low data cap you might not want this for home streaming

gosolo[OP] likes this.
  2. Jan 16, 2018 at 5:27 AM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red Crew Max Platinum
    That's another good point. Luckily we have a small wireless internet provider that is not satellite. No data caps. Trade off is it's a little expensive ($60 for 6Mbps) and it is slightly flaky. This past year our internet went down completely for 3 weeks straight, then again for 2 weeks straight. It occasionally goes out for hours here and there. Sucks when you cut the cord and don't have internet...

3. Jan 16, 2018 at 5:28 AM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    As for cancelling DirecTV - when I called in to cancel is was very easy. They gave me no push back but then again I was already signed up for DTVNow...maybe they saw that and didn't try to push it?

4. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    Rolodetective

Rolodetective Member

Member:
    Vale of Paradise, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black AC TRD
    Sorry for the hijack but it KINDA fits. Last year about this time I called Directv and reduced my monthly bill by quite a bit. The representative told me the discounts were good for 12 months. I asked what then....he said I was long standing customer and to simply call back and ask for them to be renewed.

I did that today and was basically told to pound sand! The bill has gone up roughly $30 per month. I went through the chat feature via Directv's home page. When I told them they were forcing me to cut the cord and suggested I was prepared to cancel they escalated the chat to a "Accounts Management" member. He was no dice. Offered me a one time courtesy credit of a few bucks. I replied that since they unwilling to negotiate my bill for 2018 to the amount that was perfectly acceptable to them for all of 2017, then I would be cancelling me service. He responded that he was unhappy to see me leave Directv and then asked if there was anything else he could do. When I said no....he simply said goodbye and told me to contact customer service if I had any additional issues.

It's bullshit like this that pisses me off to no end!!

5. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:39 PM
    gosolo

gosolo [OP] You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Sir, that’s not a hi jack, it’s in keeping with the theme of this thread when I started it! Did they suggest that you keep their old equipment as a momento of all the good times you’ve had with DirctTV, like they did to me?

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. Jan 16, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    Rolodetective

Rolodetective Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black AC TRD
    We haven't got that far friend. My internet in these parts is lacking. Getting better but still lacking. Basically I can choose between Frontier (currently what I have) or Comcast Xfinity, which a few neighbors have. They abhor Xfinity and are dying for a superior product.

My speed is currently 12mbps....I just upgraded today to Frontier 18 mbps (Vantage Plus). Frontier says the Vantage lines are far superior to the old lines. He said something about copper lines etc etc etc. In any event, it only cost $5 more per month and the rep said it'll be SIGNIFICANTLY faster. We shall see.

Is 18 mbps enough to support Directv running on 2 tv's while 1-2 devices surf the net???

7. Jan 16, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    hdfanatic

hdfanatic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Platinum Crewmax 4x4
    TRD Pro wheels, Nfab
    I think 18Mbps would be about the minimum required for 2 concurrent HD streams and basic Internet surfing. See DirecTV Now's suggestions.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-u...t-speed-recommendations-for-optimal-streaming

8. Jan 17, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Sir, I would not personally call your internet options lacking. My options are Frontier DSL at max 1.5Mbps, wireless internet at 6Mbps, or satellite at 25Mbps but for only 2Gb then it’s 2Mbps. And we’re only 1/2 mile from Time Warner’s coverage area. And 20 miles from Columbus City Limits.

As for your possibilities. I would say yes, a consistent 18Mbps is sufficient for 2 streams and some basic internet browsing. If I were you I would buy a FireTv stick or Roku and try some of the free trial versions of DTVnow or Sling and put it to the test. THEN cancel DTV. Or switch to Dish Network and get their promotional price as a new customer.

gosolo[OP] likes this.
  9. Jan 18, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    Rolodetective

Rolodetective Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black AC TRD
    Wow SOB.....I guess I shouldn't complain. We just got 3 fire sticks in the household for Christmas, and have an Xbox One for the basement TV so we're set for equipment.

I have heard expanded tv service will soon be exclusively streaming. I just hope the pricing doesn't get out of control for it like it has now for satellite service. I'm sure we can all remember when cable came out. As a child we had an tv antenna on our roof. TV was free...but with a lot of commercials. Cable came along and promised us "no commercials and better picture" but you gotta pay a few dollars a month. Now it's nothing but commercials on tv and I'm paying a huge monthly bill JUST for tv.

If a company could figure out how to do it for $30-50 a month and KEEP it at that rate, they'd be the industry leader. Alas.....those days a loooong behind us. Everything.....and I mean everything is just one big money grab anymore.

Black Wolf, mtntop and NewImprovedRon like this.
  10. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way

I'm half way thru my free 1 month DTV Now trial. They want $30 after that but I'll call to swing a better deal. $20 is about right. I'm streaming A Prime, Hulu, and Netflix too. No Freaking Equipment...........

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. Jan 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    We went the Direct TV route and for the first year it was great. Price went up 2nd yr, but we knew that. It wasn't until our HD DVR box took a shit and DTV wanted to charge us $100+ to come out and fix/replace it. I politely, :devil: said no we are not paying you to come fix your equipment. Service ended that day and charter picked up early termination fee. Fast fwd to present day and we are hating our cable. Back to DTV again. They gave us a ton of discounts and credited my account back for $150 that charter paid. Also got Sunday ticket for next season free. Everyone deserves a second chance right. :D

12. Jan 18, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Ron , I was shocked when she told me she was crediting my account . Hell I'll negotiate. Let's giddy up :deadhorse:

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  13. Jan 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Whatever it takes :argue::transformer:

14. Jan 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Living in the sticks and having a podunk 10M cable internet connection means I still like my DTV satellite feed. I just did the annual call and had the monthly bill adjusted down $50 for 2018.

I watch 95% of my content via DVR. I get to watch on my schedule and NO COMMERCIALS. The downside of streaming TV is that you can't skip commercials. So I don't use it much. I fear the same will be true with Cloud-DVR.

15. Jan 18, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Alot of ppl are getting good discounts but u do have to call lol. I hate the call process but i was paying 140 for internet house phone and dtv. After the call im paying 78 bucks for the next year. I have 4 boxes 2 of them being the genies wich are wireless and can be put anywere

16. Jan 18, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    Areith762

Areith762 Go Avs!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    .- -. - .... --- -.
    39.944182, -104.760113
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue 5.7L CM SR5 4X4
    DAP Tune, Katskin interior leather, ESP rear under seat storage, door sill protector, door edge protector, TRD Pro shift knob, heated seats, all weather Tundra floor mats, driver side a-frame handle, Tundra trucks center console emblem, clear bra protection, Bushwacker fender flares, paint match front bumper caps, paint match rear bumper caps, paint match mirror caps, ProComp 3/1 lift, 20" Fuel wheels, 33-11.50/R20 Falcon tires, black TRD Pro badge's, black Tundra tailgate badge insert, TRD Pro headlights, Recon smoked tail lights, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Roll N Lock tonneau cover, Line-X bed liner, Tundra bed mat, Cobra led remote alarm/remote start, N-fab tube steps, factory match window tint, TRD Pro grille -paint matched, paint matched hood bulge, TRD dual exhaust, Black out exhaust tips, led interior lights, led plate lights, Spyder smoked fog lights, TRD Cold Air Intake
    You can do unlimited data with Comcast for $40/month or by upgrading to business class.

17. Jan 18, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Damn Right Steve! :thumbsup:

18. Jan 18, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    When I had DTV and the prices went up after 2 years I paid it. For about 6 months. Then I called and argued. All they would do is credit me $10 a month for 6 months. After 6 months I called again. Threatened to switch to Dish and they basically said sorry. They weren’t willing to do anything. Soon after that I looked into streaming.

I liked DTV and the DVR much better. As someone else said I watched 90% off the DVR and never watched commercials.

I can put up with commercials for a $110/mo savings.

19. Jan 18, 2018 at 2:23 PM
    Roman

Roman Toyota Parts Master Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    I need to look into this DTV NOW thing. I'm only paying about $80 a month, but $35 sounds much better. :D

AxelsHumanDad likes this.
  20. Jan 18, 2018 at 4:29 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    I wish I had half these options. We've got Dish for TV for about $70/month and two grandfathered Verizon Wireless unlimited lines we use for internet at $160/month.

The only other halfway affordable internet option is satellite for $100/month but it's capped at 50gb.

21. Jan 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    My freebie 1 month trial with DirecTV Now expired yesterday. On Monday I found out about Pluto TV. Freakin free. 100 + free channels. 1000's of free movies. Live news, sports. I was stunned. (And it has MST3K!!!!) I decided not to continue with DirecTV Now basic for $35 for 60 channels. I'm happy with Hulu (which will be going thru dramatic changes), Netflix, and Amazon. Those three + "over the air" + Pluto TV = :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I've got a couple of emails yesterday and today from DirecTV Now trying to get me to sign up for the $35 even though I stated $35 was too much when I declined to subscribe. :homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer:

22. Jan 25, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    KAIG, NW of The Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    Pluto TV is great :thumbsup:
    It's way cool to have MST3K again ;)

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jan 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Breaking in my grand kids to MST3K already....I wasn't even remotely impressed with DirecTV Now. The only advantage is no hardware but you still get the same s**thole fluff channels crammed in with the few channels I like to watch. Pluto has live sports channels, music channels. FREE.

24. Jan 27, 2018 at 12:14 PM
    Rotty23

Rotty23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 CM 4x4 Blue Ribbon Blue Metallic
    TRD Pro grill, TRD rear sway bar, Bilstien 6112 up front set at middle setting, Bilstien 5160s on rear, BFG KO2s on Method 20x9 wheels, drilled and slotted rotors, color matched front bumper caps, mirror caps and door handles, BA 8" stainless exhaust, TRD Pro skid plate, drivers side grab handle
    Anybody use a firestick with Kodi?...I've had mine for a couple years and love it

25. Jan 27, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    KAIG, NW of The Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    I had Kodi on one of my FireTV boxes for a while. I read some negative points about it, including the recommendation to VPN with it so I uninstalled it.

26. Jan 27, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    Skippy

Skippy Standing for the Flag

Member:
    San Antonio US of A
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 1794
    Cut the cord a couple of weeks ago, and finally got my houehold setup with IPTV. Love it. The provider I use charges $20 per Mo, but I get over 6,000 channels streaming HD. I get all the premiums like HBO, Showtime, Epic, etc., VOD, all news, networks, new blu ray releases, and everything else you can imagine. Picture quality is better than my cable was. I'd bought an antenna for the local, but now won't be installing it.

27. Jan 27, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    What’s the catch with DTVNow??? Fees / equipment, etc???

This sounds like a great deal

28. Jan 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Not available here in CO as of yet. Comcast has a strangle hold here. http://www.tvover.net/ServiceProvider,search,1-N.aspx

29. Jan 29, 2018 at 4:23 AM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    There really isn't any "catch". No equipment other than a smart tv or streaming device (Fire, Apple TV, Roku, etc.) which you purchase and can use for other things. No fees except the monthly bill and taxes - no contract cancel any time.

Sure, if you compare all the streaming services out there some are better than others. But as long as you have a somewhat fast and reliable internet you're good to go. I think some folks like the comfort of real DirecTV and I don't blame them. But you have to be willing to pay the premium for it.

PermaFrostTRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jan 29, 2018 at 5:45 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Pluto is supposed to be pretty awesome

Products Discussed in

To Top