1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have you ever tried to cancel Direct TV?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by gosolo, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jan 15, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    I didn’t know they were switching us to a contractor till it was too late. I thought it was going to be satellite internet.

Please tell me somewhere in this is a replacement for the Speed Channel!! Still pissed at Fox for turning one of the only Motorsport channels into a freaking soccer or football channel.... like we needed one more of those.

2. Jan 15, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I use to play the game and switch between Direct and Dish to take advantage of new customer discounts. Last time I did I called Direct and gave them the opportunity to match. They refused so I called Dish and got it all set up. I then I called Direct to cancel. All of a sudden they had a change of heart. I said sorry suckers too late now. Then the fight started. Direct will fight you tooth and nail. I bought out about 8 months of my contract and pay back was about 3. I now own a fair amount of Dish equipment so I won't be cancelling. I have no internet service at hunting ranch so satellite TV is only choice. I activate for hunting season only. Went through a real battle with Dish the first time I deactivated the receiver at the ranch. They said they would send me a return box. I said do it and you will get an empty one back. They claimed I bought a leased receiver. I said check your phone records. I called in the receiver and Smart card numbers before I bought it. After a 10 minute phone battle they finally confirmed that they had given me the green light on the receiver. I made damn sure they changed the status to owned.

I renegotiate the rates ever year. It is the only way to keep them reasonable.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. Jan 15, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    Same here, digital antenna and SlingTV. We have AT&T for internet but for the price their TV channel line up sucks. We used to have Time Warner but they changed to Spectrum and their prices are ridiculous and if you want the promotional price after a year, you have to cancel your service, stay canceled for 30 days and then completely renew. Bullshit! I refuse to pay an almost 40% price increase after a year and get nothing in return.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  4. Jan 15, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I have DirecTV and wish I could cancel it to save the money for mods. But I just love channel surfing too much. It’s how I come across new shows I want to watch. I have streaming Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. I still like watching news in the morning etc.

Pudge likes this.
  5. Jan 15, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    In the process of cancelling Comcast this week. Hooked up Roku and Netflix and haven't turned back.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  6. Jan 15, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    gosolo

gosolo [OP] You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I’m doubtful and unsure about what we’re gonna have in an isolated rural area like Vernonia, but I’ve been canceling everything, and will get set back up after the move. Streaming Netflix and Amazon plus a local channel for news would be fine.

7. Jan 15, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    hdfanatic

hdfanatic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Platinum Crewmax 4x4
    TRD Pro wheels, Nfab
    I have 2 DirecTV Now accounts (so I can have 4 streams). Both at $35/month for go big. At $70 month plus Netflix and Amazon Prime, it's awesome. All of those services are nearly half what I was Directv for the past 15 years. Now have an AppleTV in every room and it works great. I am also on the beta for Directv Now and the interface is much nicer. I believe that is coming soon as well.

If you are an AT&T wireless customer, I'm not sure there is a better offering that Directv Now.

TheBeast and Eclipsed & Floating like this.
  8. Jan 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    hdfanatic

hdfanatic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro wheels, Nfab
    My only issue with Directv Now is that they somehow don't have AT&T Sportsnet (they own these stations?!?) channels yet. I need my Rockets, but more importantly, my Astros. They have about 3 months to get that fixed, or I will have to find some other way to watch.

9. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    TuffTundra

TuffTundra New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM SR5
    4" Rough Country Lift - Fuel Assault 20x10 - Nitto Ridge Grapplers 33x12.5x20 - 2018 LED Headlights - LED Lights all around - No Chrome - Tinted Windows & Tail Lights
    I currently have DTV and I'm paying about $100 a month for the step up from the basic service. I really just want my local TV channels and ESPN channels. I combine my internet and DTV since my internet provider also offers DTV. I had DTV in my name back when we first moved but since they never give promotions to existing customers, I switched our DTV from my name to my daughters name who used to live with us. Her contract is up in June and at that time believe me I'll be doing my research as to what I can do to get my bill lowered. We have unlimited AT&T cell phone service and pay over $300 per month on our cell phone bill. We have a total of five iPhones on our account....bad thing about having so many kids....lol. Anyway I can't wait for June to come because I'm gonna to be having a SERIOUS conversation with DTV and if they can't help me out, they will be losing me as a customer FOR SURE!

10. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    signalbobby

signalbobby New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra PRO & 4R PRO
    DirectTV is the biggest bitch and a half to cancel. Then they try to tack on fees and penalties. EFF

11. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    My recommendation: since you have Unlimited Plus you can get DIRECTV NOW for $20 a month and ditch the dish. No contract, no hassle, and WAY cheaper

Black Wolf likes this.
  12. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Just be sure to take em up on the offer to keep their old obsolete equipment and put it on display in a special place on your mantle so you can remember all the good times that you have had with Direct TV! That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve heard from a salesperson yet.

13. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    If you truly are looking to cancel then get your local tech to the house via service call and convince him to call in a “no line of sight” and they will let you out of the contract. Tell them the only line of sight is now being blocked by a tree

14. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I think you should do it

gosolo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    TuffTundra

TuffTundra New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM SR5
    4" Rough Country Lift - Fuel Assault 20x10 - Nitto Ridge Grapplers 33x12.5x20 - 2018 LED Headlights - LED Lights all around - No Chrome - Tinted Windows & Tail Lights
    So does DirecTV Now work through an app on my smart TV? Or how does it work exactly? Fill free to PM me if you would rather talk about it in private. Thanks!

16. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    @Almaboy can answer this as well as anyone since he’s been in the business

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  17. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    It works through any device you can watch Netflix or HULU. Yes, your smartv will work too if you have free reign to download apps. Some smartvs don’t allow it. You’ll have to look before committing

18. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:02 PM
    TuffTundra

TuffTundra New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM SR5
    So when you download the app and open up the Directv Now app I’m guessing it will list all of your available channels and what is playing on each channel just like normal DTV does now? Guess I could research this instead of asking a ton of questions.

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  19. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Hang tight....

20. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Looks like this but bigger. This was a snapshot on my phone. Every app is a little different but you can get the idea from this
    Channels and show listings on the bottom. Live television on the top. Once you find the show it’ll be full screen as you desire.
    DC8D7A06-025B-411E-A72B-CE7AEA5EC3C0.jpg

Triton19X2 and gosolo[OP] like this.
  21. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    This is the app you’re looking for. It’ll look different on different applications

4E8657AF-B064-4E00-A7F6-5EEA427FADBB.jpg

gosolo[OP] likes this.
  22. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    You gotta admit that @Almaboy is handier than Velcro. And it’s a lot easier than research!

23. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    TuffTundra

TuffTundra New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM SR5
    Looks like the big issues are if I can get local channels and if my internet has a strong enough signal to handle the shows I want to watch. Would hate to get this only to see a loading screen when watching the NFL games. Plus it would be nice to have DVR.

I wonder if in the near future DTV will offer a better deal on their traditional TV?

24. Jan 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Go back some posts and read TheBeast post where he said “big things coming”

Cloud supported DVR is already in beta test

Google it. FORBES did an article and have a look here
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-choices-2018-year-streaming-video/908563001/

gosolo[OP] likes this.
  25. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    hdfanatic

hdfanatic New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro wheels, Nfab
    I don't believe the DirecTV Now app is available on any existing Smart TVs. You must use an Apple TV, Roku, or Firestick at this point. Or laptop/cell phone/tablet.

The DVR and new guide are currently in beta and are much improved. The only thing I would recommend checking is whether or not you have a data cap on your home Internet service. I have xfinity and had uverse internet. Both had 1TB montly limits. That sounds like a ton. But when you are streaming TV all day, (and have 2 teenage boys gaming online) it can be gone pretty quick.

26. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I use DTV Now! Saves so much compared to cable! We have that and Netflix so between those two we can find everything we ever need to. We use the Amazon stick to watch dtvn.

27. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    Ive had cox cable, time warner, Dish and direct tv..I'm cancelling dish in Feb and gonna look for one of those cool boxes that streams everything..save some cash too..PS DTV was royal pita to cancel...jerry springer drama

28. Jan 16, 2018 at 4:18 AM
    MrWrench

MrWrench New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra limited
    Spray on bed liner, Bak mx4
    After I canceled directv, I tried youtubetv and I think it works great. I got all the big college football games each week

29. Jan 16, 2018 at 4:21 AM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red Crew Max Platinum
    Just hoping to put my perspective on things to help some folks out. Cutting the cord out in the boonies is not as easy as it is in the city...

I've had DTVNow since Dec 2016 and I live in a rural area. If you have some concerns with cutting the cord they are def valid if you live out in the sticks. I did my research and tried DTVNow for free for 1 month before canceling my satellite service. It is def usable with my 6Mbps internet but sometimes is on the fringe of working or not working (i.e. periodically buffering). It was a bit of a change for my family but the cost savings was totally worth it.

I also live close enough to a metro city that I can get all the local channels over the air with a basic indoor antenna - this was crucial to me switching. Not all DTVNow areas get their local channels over the app. So watching football and such is over my antenna. You can check this site to see what kind of antenna you need and what channels you will get.

http://www.overtheairdigitaltv.com/tv-station-locator-tool/

Not having a DVR was a big change too but we got used to it. Instead of going to the DVR for the shows you want to watch you go to the network apps (History or ESPN app for example) and with your DTVNow credentials you can watch EVERYTHING they offer on demand.

Free HBO is awesome as the HBO Go app is very nice to use and streams consistently. That's one thing you'll learn with not-so-fast internet is not all apps stream the same. Amazon, Netflix, HBO seem faster than many of the others like History and Discovery which are probably a couple of the worst I've used from a speed standpoint.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  30. Jan 16, 2018 at 4:38 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    We canceled DTV when we moved. I don’t remember it being much of an issue, but they would call like clockwork every year to the day to try and get us back. Guess they figured that’s when our new providers contract would be up. I don’t normally get shitty with people, but I pretty much had to. They wouldn’t stop calling, so I finally answered, and told them I wasn’t interested. Minutes later they called again, a manager this time, trying to get me to change my mind. I don’t remember exactly what I said, but I was pretty harsh about it that time. Told me I’d never be their customer again, don’t ever call again. It finally stopped.

Between that, and me not being able to walk into a store without one of their salespeople harassing me, I hate them now. Now, when one of their people come at me in Best Buy, etc, I tell them I used to have Directv, but I canceled it because their people kept bothering me in stores.

Black Wolf and gosolo[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top