1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hauling Welding Cylinders

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by AlrightAlrightAlright, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Jan 29, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    Just google it. You can find them falling out/off vehicles etc.

But go try it out. Throw a cylinder into a trunk and try to get it filled. Or lay it in the back of your truck bed strapped or not and see what they say.

I personally don’t care what you do. A question was asked. Questionable advice was given. I fixed that with facts(regulations). Until that horrible idea of the cylinder picture from Australia. Don’t do that!! I should have read the rest of that and I didn’t cause I got distracted and that is on me. My bad.

2. Jan 29, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yup same name. I was CH-53E Avi. Our Airframe shop used them for tires and our accumulator.

Funny story about that it was stored horizontally...something happened while filling one day and they launched a cylinder over our hanger, across the street and down a little ways. I wasn’t at work that night so I don’t know exactly what happened. The pictures were cool though.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2021 at 6:33 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Kuul. We would usually catch our hop on AF C-141's and the load masters were pretty strict with our NAN cart. The AF load master's would always hesitate until we showed them our orders to load our shit up. Occasionally we'd get our hop on a Gyrine C-130 Herc to the middle of nowhere. Never had issues then. Ooh Rah!!!!

4. Jan 29, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    We had a SSgt plane "captain" assigned to a F-4 Phantom that accidently tripped the RIO's seat during a safety check. It ejected itself through the hanger roof. Hell rained down on that SNAFU....heh...heh...good ole days

5. Jan 29, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Side bar...My Gyrine Major dad flew choppers and fixed wing back in the day. F4-U in China, 47 to 49, then the Sioux chopper in Korea, F5F Panther photo recon jet, A-4's at Beaufort, CH-46's in MCAS Tustin. Last was at MCAS El Toro. He flew the station SAR CH-46 but got to try out the "NEW" CH-53 in late 65 when he retired. The CH-53 wasn't really "official" until 66.

6. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:02 PM
    speckmon

speckmon Must. Have. Pow.

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
  7. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Don't do this.............[​IMG]

bleach likes this.
  8. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    or this........
    [​IMG]

Hey......it's Friday

bleach and joonbug like this.
  9. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's
    You made a statement and I asked you a question, I don't need to google anything. I will tell you that 90% of those videos are not in this country.
    I've seen a cylinder get stuck in a cinderblock wall in person, I've seen a HP N2 bottle go over the side of a platform into the GoM. Yes, stuff happens and it is always without fail because of negligence

I have taken my personal cylinders in for exchange or refill laying down in the bed of my trucks my whole life, I've never had an issue from anyone.
    I've traveled to rock comps and desert races with N2 cylinders laying on their sides. Zero issues.
    For years I had CO2 or N2 cylinders in my jeeps for filling tires, mounted on their sides. Zero issues

Don't be negligent - zero issues

I'm seriously not trying to argue with anyone but unless its changed recently, OSHA does not apply to individuals

10. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:17 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    They obviously work well for what they are designed for, I'm not sure a propane tank would fit?
    It's possible we fall into a different category, not sure on that. And yeah I'm with you, vertical is definitely safer transport and storage but just making sure the OP knows you can go horizontally.
    I reference them as 125 cubic foot cylinders. Not sure what other terms are out there for sizes? Yes mostly Oxygen but also medical air.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:19 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    If you are not a DOT transporter, there is no need to have the cans upright.

Keeping them from rolling side to side in the truck bed is the biggest thing to worry about. They will dent your wheel wells. I usually tie a movers blanket to one side of the cylinder. It goes nowhere.

You are overthinking this.

Acetylene cans need to be stored upright after you get them home. The acitone used in conduction with the acetylene needs to separate into a gas properly.

All other welding gasses don't care what position the bottle is in.

12. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:26 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Not overthinking. Get severely rear ended and those "can"s can become a torpedo if the tank valve gets snapped off. Has absolutely nothing to do with gas separation or what type of gas....:bananadead:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Medic343 likes this.
  13. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Here is what can happe
    I’m not being argumentative either. I have watched plenty of safety videos.
    OSHA may not apply to an individual..I honestly don’t know or care. In this case a question was asked. I answered with “best practice” to put it another way.
    I’m sure you are considering safety when you transport as you do. But what about that guy that has “1” beer and rear ends/t bones you. What happens then? Let’s just say nothing. You are extremely lucky. Let’s say worse case scenario that cylinder kills someone. What’s that word that the lawyer is going to through around about your lack or proper restraint....oh yeah negligence.

Do what ever you want. Like I said before.

Black Wolf and rockmup[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Put 4 of these D-rings on the bed bolts and ratchet strap them down with a blanket underneath. Put something in front so they don’t slide forward and lean them against the tailgate. Drive weely weely slow.
    BFFA3384-421E-4CD5-B1E8-A023DAC84337.jpg

Black Wolf likes this.
  15. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:47 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:

[​IMG]

16. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

AlrightAlrightAlright [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM DC 4x4 with SR5 Upgrade Package
    RetraxONE MX retractable bed cover TRD Rear sway bar Debadged FabFours Matrix front bumper Smittybilt 9,500# XRC winch Aries 30" light bar (internal bumper mount) Diode Dynamics SS3 3" SAE Fog and Driving lights ConsoleVault RhinoRack crossbars
    Hi guys, sorry to stir all this up and, gosh y’all know so much and I can’t thank you enough. I’m just a simple TIG dabber, so nothing but Argon in the bottles.

I hear the side about pressures (regardless of gas) and respect it greatly - vertical it shall be! I scoured a few sites tonight and will figure out what to do and share what I come up with. A concern I have about the “wall hanger and strap solution” is the effective tensile strength and ability to withstand at least some force of impact in a collision. Some have reinforcing chains, so perhaps that’s the answer. Also, since I’ll need a cylinder dolly anyway, perhaps that can be secured in the bed and do double duty as a rack.

This will be a fun welding project any way it goes and, any day to strike an arc and be creative is a day to be enjoyed and remembered.

Juanjoolio007 and Black Wolf like this.
  17. Jan 29, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Might want to look into a headache rack if you want to mount vertically. This way you can strap the top and bottom of the bottles. Move Bumpers has one for 290.00 and I seen plenty others starting at 190.00 and go up from there.

snivilous and Black Wolf like this.
  18. Jan 29, 2021 at 10:11 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Your fine laying your inert gas bottles down along with oxygen bottles. Acetylene is the only gas that needs to be vertical. as it becomes unstable. The acetone separates and it's not a pretty site when you go to hook up your gauge and open the valve :eek2:

bleach likes this.
  19. Jan 29, 2021 at 10:19 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    I think that's why it's suggested to keep the cylinders upright for twice as long as they were laid on their side before using them.

20. Jan 29, 2021 at 10:59 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    That's apparently the only correct way to move one without a commercial vehicle lol

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jan 30, 2021 at 4:54 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    ***Puts Kyle, the safety manager vest on***

I get the safety aspect of this conversation and respect those that feel strongly about verticals transportation. When possible, the cylinders should be transported this way.

***takes safety vest off***

Now let’s step back into reality. I deal with a lot of compressed gas cylinders at work for calibrations, welding, cutting, cooling, etc.

Here are some images so people can see the size differences.

0D3265AB-EA2F-4FA1-87BC-835DFE957E2D.jpg 6A9C09AB-33E1-4526-839E-BFD85D116855.jpg

I have a K and KW oxygen/acetylene cylinders, Q mix gas for MIG welding, R nitrogen cylinder for shocks, and a 10 lb CO2 cylinder for tires. The three smaller cylinders I can easily transport upright and do.

Now my k/KW cylinders I do not. I put the covered valve end towards the front of the truck, strap down in the center of the bed. If someone rear ends me and collapses my bed and frame 3’, I’m most likely dead and the person that smashed into me is getting one last FU from me from a high speed projectiles.

This is how my cylinders would look if I hauled them upright.

BA22CFB0-4771-451B-9B4F-C81E861CE06F.jpg

No thanks.

22. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:36 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I like to call them land torpedoes.

bleach[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jan 30, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    RetraxONE MX retractable bed cover TRD Rear sway bar Debadged FabFours Matrix front bumper Smittybilt 9,500# XRC winch Aries 30" light bar (internal bumper mount) Diode Dynamics SS3 3" SAE Fog and Driving lights ConsoleVault RhinoRack crossbars
    https://store.cyberweld.com/sacyca95.html

Buying this, looks perfect for my purposes. I’ll fab up something for securing in the bed. I mentioned this before, but I really appreciate all the ideas, guys - I hadn’t considered a headache rack.

I do have an 80-mph highway between me and those city locations I mentioned, so I’ll be mindful of that with my design and the higher possibility of defensive driving maneuvers or a traffic accident.

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  24. Jan 30, 2021 at 7:42 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:

25. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Find a wheeled cart that the cylinder can be secured to. Then put that cart in the truck and transport vertically. Secure the cart to the truck.

You are moving items that are volatile and considered hazardous material.

Honestly unless you have, troopers or state officials that are hazmat or commercial vehicle certified no one will care how you transport them.

To be safe they must be vertical, valve caps on and secured to the vehicle.

If you do get stopped by someone who knows the hazmat or commercial regs, and they are not secured the fines involving hazmat normally are way worse then your going to imagine. Here they start at 300 bucks

Black Wolf likes this.
  26. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    We have two of those at work. They are well built.

27. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    I like “no vest” Chris a lot better. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top