1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gym/workouts

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by T-Rex266, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Dec 13, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    Tiamat

Tiamat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra crewmax xp
    I do a deck of cards workout. pushup , squats, burpees, crunches. If I feel good I double it.
    If I’m home I do tire flips or hammer chops. Instead of crunches

wakeboarder likes this.
  2. Dec 13, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    wakeboarder

wakeboarder New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra
    Those deck of card workouts are fun. Specifically when you do them as a partner workout. And you make jokers something particularly brutal, like heavy yoke/sandbag carries.

Tiamat[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 13, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    Tiamat

Tiamat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra crewmax xp
    Getting old and the injuries are messing with me. So no more free weights. At 43 I was repping 405 and my right elbow just popped now I can’t grip a dang cup. A year ago it was left shoulder before that low back. I get over it push through but I’m 270 and really need to start taking a load off the heart.

4. Dec 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    I see you like to live dangerously too :rofl:

5. Dec 13, 2019 at 5:57 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Well as much as I hate to admit it I’m doing exactly what you shouldn’t be doing...or I’m taking lessons learned and applying them to this new plan. Not really sure yet. Long story short about 4 months ago during a SP Wod I had a crazy anaphylactic reaction or whatever to something. The next morning went to the Dr. they set up an ENT follow up which just happened Tuesday. In the meantime I pretty much stopped CF stuff and had started Starting Strength. The first four weeks I was trying to figure out a weird left knee issue. Nailed that down to the air bike. Ironed out some technique flaws in bench and adapted Mark’s Hip Drive method of squats. This leads to this last Monday failed a single DL rep that would have been a last warmup. Was pretty pissed about that but need to watch my back due to car accident pain that pops up every once in awhile. I thought the valsalva method was causing my throat pain but apparently it’s due to allergies which I’ve never had till recent.
    So I put all this together and decided that I’m not ever going to compete in PL, CF has some fun workouts but I have no desire to do most of it. So back to regular old BB style of training with some PL, functional and strongman stuff mixed in.
    I know you shouldn’t jump programs and this is my third change in the last 4 months but I think it may be worth it. I guess we will see.

6. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    Same here.

Push ups/incline treadmill = longevity [I hope:D]

Joints are the issue. I'm about to turn 54. Quit sprinting last year for the most part. I have a job where sprinting is sometimes necessary, unfortunately [but I retire in 5 months]. Hips are stiff, knees don't feel trustworthy making sharp cuts when I am running.

So, I get it ...

But, the attitude hasn't changed:monocle:

Hang in there, amigo!:thumbsup:

P.S. @15Yota's pic scares me. Got to remember not to smart off to him in the forum. I'm outta' here:plane:

15Yota likes this.
  7. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I havent been to the gym in 15 years, since I blew out my back. I have had issues with it since, a lot of issues. I have been thinking I'd like to get back into it again but am scared, maybe after I have surgery.
    I found this pic a few weeks ago in a box.
    This pic was 15 years ago a few months after my last workout. I was 205 at 5'8" pretty fat too lol, but I was into powerlifting over bodybuilding.
    I am about 155 now, @COMiamiFan fan can vouch that I look nothing like the guy in that picture, and my head isn't really that tiny. Lol.
    Maybe some day I'll get back into it as I have very little muscle mass now.
    I could never lift too heavy, bench max was maybe 275 but I could shoulder press 120lb dumbbells and dead lift a lot. Those days are long gone but I should get in shape. I had only worked out for about 4 years and started fat at 185 and ended well fat at 215 but was strong and despite the fat I was in decent shape.

Screenshot_20191127-222159_Chrome.jpg

TundraDude18 likes this.
  8. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Damn! I never would have guessed that was you. You are half that man that guy would ever be :rofl:

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    That's for true :rofl::rofl:
    I remember I started my job as a nurse after that and my scrub tops were tight on my arms, I now wear a size smaller and I'm swimming in them. What a shame lol:anonymous:

10. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I'm 41 and also 270lbs but I'm 6'5". I can deadlift 400lbs, squat 330lbs and bench 300lbs in sets of 5-8. I think I'm done pushing heavy and while I love lifting I think I'm going to move to a higher rep/lower weight plan. I just don't recover between heavy lifts like I used to and joints are starting to become a problem.

11. Dec 15, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I think I would do better if I went back, I wouldn't push the weight like I did. More reps than heavy lifts. My problem before was my muscles grew much faster than my connective tissues, for a few reasons which I regret now but live and learn I guess.

12. Dec 15, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    If I ever get back into it I will definitely hit you up. I'm sure some things are different than when I lifted, supplement wise for sure. I remember waking up at 2am and 6am to pound down protein shakes, then 4 more during the day, eating a dozen eggs, cans of tuna, endless chicken every day. 400+ grams of protein a day and I know it wasnt all clean, probably 3000+ calories per day. If it had protein i would eat it, jars of peanut butter, gallons of milk per week. Creatine, BCAAs, ALA, then a few FDA/DEA unapproved products lol. No wonder why I was fat and growing like I did. Next time, if there is one, itll be much different with different goals.

15Yota and Juanjoolio007 like this.
  13. Dec 15, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    Wise man ... if you watch older guys in the gym [even if they're very muscular], they are usually lifting very strictly [strict form], working full range of motion, and making accommodations for joint wear [like when I did side lateral raises as I got older, I would supinate my wrists upward and slightly bend at the wrist in order to take the compression pressure off the shoulder area and give the ligaments more room]. This is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the way I was trained to work my medial shoulder muscles when I was young [which was to rotate my wrists like I was emptying a pitcher of water].

Light weights, strict form, high reps, and do NOT work to muscle exhaustion like we did when we were trying to build strength. Just lift the muscle groups more often.

14. Dec 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    So many
    Man this convo is right about what I am trying to accomplish right now. Just got done running a transition week from PL/Starting Strength back to BB style workouts. Some of this is an experiment as I haven't lifted this way in about three years. On top of that its the first week trying to figure out how to do this with the garage gym. Luckily when I built it I went pretty much overboard and tried to think of getting what I could so I could do almost any assistance exercise.
    I decided to go the 6 day split(chest, back, shoulders, legs,tri,bi) with next week taking a day off between back and shoulders. I am currently trying to get some ab/core workout every other day and at least 20-30 min of cardio via the rower and the air bike...now that I fixed the knee issue with that thing.
    I am starting with a modified version of 5x5 with the first few exercises like bench, squat and deadlift on their day. Then adding in some 4x6-8 on 1 or 2 exercises and finishing with 2 exercises for 2x15. My goal is to run this and modify it as need be over the next 2-3 weeks while I finish a pct. Then run whatever it ends up being for 8-12 weeks with a de-load week probably around week 6. After the 12 weeks I will probably change to higher rep and try to focus on loosing some BF%.
    I would like to keep or increase strength for now and work on getting the diet back on track. Its super hard being on graveyard and working 4 10's. I switch between that and day schedule every day to spend time with the family on my days off. So one day I eat like nothing and one day I eat like everything. The four work days are pretty much consistent.

Any input @15Yota or @Pudge?

15. Feb 5, 2020 at 3:10 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Been off and on alot recently. Getting a workout in after work isn't work since somedays I work 8 hours, others I work 10 hours. I need consistency. I hate it but I'm going to try doing my workout first thing in the morning. Gonna have to wake up a half hour earlier so I'm thinking there's gonna be preworkout involved.

I need to be out the front door for work by 0620, so I'm thinking of having a water bottle with preworkout mixed on my bedside table. Set my alarm for 0500. Slam water. Hit snooze for 10 minutes. By then, the preworkout should be kicking in. Get up, get dressed, head to the basement gym for 0515. Workout till around 0600, change into work clothes, slam some sort of food (maybe homemade protein bar?) and head out the door for work.

I think it should do it. Hopefully the preworkout kicks in fast enough. Biggest thing is getting food into me. I'm not much of a breakfast eater but I'll need something to at least hold me until my first break at 0900. .

16. Feb 5, 2020 at 8:42 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    no worries. Life and past injuries are really starting to test me. I was digging the BB style thing again. Talked to a friend at work that competes dialed in my hypertrophy a bit better. I am pretty sure the template I was following for main lifts was written by an idiot and didn’t realize it till 4 weeks in when the math went from 3x10@70% to 3x5 at 75%. Or I messed something up...either way my back doesn’t want to play nice any more. Looks like big numbers are a thing of the past. Well for now I’m trying to take it easy too see if it’s a short term thing or my lower back is just permanently F’d.
    So I defaulted back to Street Parking. The crazy thing is now I haven’t needed knee sleeves. Who would have thought my bad knee pain was due to a wrong seat position on the air bike.

17. Feb 6, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I was in a car accident back in 2004. Rolled three times doing over 100. No I wasn’t driving. If I remember right they(VA) said I have degenerative disc disease. Guess it’s fairly common. Anyway it’s finally caught up to me. Used to only really get bad when it started to get cold every year. Now it’s pretty much all the time. I have the Spud Inc Big Ray strap. Works wonders for decompression. Kinda only temporary relief but still helps. I really want to sell me Rogue GHD and get the Donkey so I have the Reverse Hyper and a GHD. But that beast is hella expensive.

15Yota likes this.
  18. Feb 10, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    WestexSBK

WestexSBK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SuperWhite CM TRD Sport 4x4
    Finally getting back in the gym after about 10 years (Got Married). As a now Novice I’m planning to stick with 3 Full body workouts a week for quite a while. It’s been recommended for at least the first year. Focus on eating 80% clean with lots of veggies. Any advice on this approach? I’m 5’10” 190lbs

whodini12 likes this.
  19. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    wakeboarder

wakeboarder New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra
    Depends on your goals. But assuming you’re just after basic strength for now, I’d start by grabbing a copy of “Starting Strength” by Mark Rippetoe and go from there. As you progress, you can begin focusing more on power lifting, weight lifting, strongman, or *gasp* CrossFit, according to your preferences.

Juanjoolio007 likes this.
  20. Feb 11, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Starting Strength is an excellent book. I never made it through all the way though. I never have time to read unless at work on break and most of the time then I don't feel like trying to jump into it again. Mark does however have a lot of content on youtube that is in the book. Might be worth watching some of his videos to get the "How To's" in a much more condensed version. Say 8 minute squat video vs 67 pages on squat mechanics.

EDIT: Just realized you may need to get his book to get the actual program(programs) layout. I had access to that from Street Parking.

wakeboarder[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Feb 11, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    WestexSBK

WestexSBK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SuperWhite CM TRD Sport 4x4
    I actually have his book. Mark is a great coach. He used to come train out football team in high school. Hated every minute of it haha

Ultimately I am going for ascetics but right now I have nothing to build off of.

22. May 5, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    'competed' in my first race in over 20 years this morning by taking on a zwift race. forgot how fast the starts are. finished tail end of mid-pack about 6:50 back from the leaders in my category. 17.5 miles, average speed about 22.7 with an average power output of 2.2w/kg which works out to roughly 180w over 46 min. started fading with about 4 miles to go. got a few things to work on but the main goal is get the average power up to 2.6 or 2.7.

trying a few more races so, we'll see how i do. at least with these races, i don't have to worry about a bunch of yahoos without any handling skills diving into corners they have no hope of making... :cool:

23. May 5, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    torontopimp

torontopimp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra SR5 off road
    Running boards , tonneau cover, short antenna, Solo Mach 40 side exit before rear wheel.
    Still have a long way to go.....but...... so far I am very happy with my results.

got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost 2 years ago and the doctor scared me enough to make some big changes in my lifestyle. Eating mostly unprocessed foods, cut all the sugar and most of the “bad carbs” , still eat a lot of meat and veggies and drink a ton of water. Lifting weights 2 or 3 times a week , walking every day and doing rounds on the heavy bag a couple times a week.

started at 355 down to under 240 with around another 25-30 pounds to go.

if I can do it , anyone can do it.

those were 2 sizes from my fattest pants... I really should have kept the really super fat pants.

648A7CAA-CE10-4647-B557-18327098DE22.jpg
    326B5BAC-D93D-42B3-BC01-4B0F5A80F75D.jpg

drobb, Scoobyvroom, Bama and 8 others like this.
  24. May 5, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Congrats!!

25. May 5, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    wakeboarder

wakeboarder New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra
    Thats awesome! Nice work!

26. May 9, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    went racing again this morning. shorter course but with more vertical. went faster than i thought i would. about 650ish people online for the race. i started down around 275th and finished at 183 overall, 56th out of 89 in my category (according to the zwiftpower site). the zwift companion app, which has full results from everyone online, says i was 142 out of 262 in my category. still mid pack but overall power output was better than tuesday. stoked to see that 20 min number on the rise.

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 8.47.58 AM.jpg

stage 3 is going to be flat and fast, stage 4 is basically all uphill and stage 5 looks to be rolling.

i've got 180 miles in for the week. goal was 200 but my legs are toast. tomorrow will be an off day with just an hour of yoga.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Outbound likes this.
  27. May 9, 2020 at 8:43 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I'd really like to give Zwift a try. Those smart trainers are super expensive though. Gonna have to wait a bit.

smslavin likes this.
  28. May 12, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    another race this morning. after a 40 mile cruise yesterday, i wasn't sure what my legs had left. i was pleasantly surprised.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.03.56 AM.jpg

course was 18.7 miles with about 900' of vertical. started at 150th, worked my way to 90th and finished at 106th out of 288 in my category. for those riders registered on zwiftpower, i was 35th out of 104. to get to the front of the pack, i need to get my average power from 2.6w/kg to 3.1-3.3. i either need to train harder, lose 3-4kg or both. we'll see how things go.

the next race in this series becomes available on saturday. 17.9 miles and just about 2200' of vertical. that one is going to hurt. easy 25+ mile spins tomorrow and thursday for a couple of rest days before getting on the gas again.

29. May 13, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Never thought I would be one to drink raw eggs but it’s time to step up my game and get the protein in that is needed.

52756D6A-F9DE-48BD-9B6A-B4FC89C9ABA8.jpg

30. May 13, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Just get some isolate protein powder...if you want some fats, then add Natty PB (fats slow the digestion of protein)

To Top