1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got a job offer in Ohio

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Part_time, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Mar 9, 2019 at 4:49 AM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    turn off the news.. don't allow local politics enter your life.

happy wife.. happy life..
    if she's not 110% in agreement, you may loose everything.

find the way to cut your current expenses so you work less.
    extra money isn't worth it if you are missing out on your own & your family's lives.
    life is very short, your children deserve your attention now.. you don't get a 2nd chance.

give your children the best opportunity of a solid home life with roots

2. Mar 9, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Have time to take a long weekend there? Won't be perfect but you'll get an idea of what's there.

Weather will be a big one, I'm about 1.5 hours east in Erie. Cleveland doesn't get the same lake effect snow as we do but it's possible average snow can vary from 2" to 2' but it's not fine powder it's like whipped potatoes.

You're along the lakeshore so there's plenty of water activity and the Lake Erie will get up to around 72 most summers, not super warm but not wetsuit cold either.

Skiing (there might be others in OH but I'm not familiar) there's a few places in New York about a 3ish hour drive mostly on I-90.

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Niagra Falls, and Detroit are all an easy day drive if you want to explore.

Pinay likes this.
  3. Mar 9, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    B/L: If she isn't happy, you will move back, quick. If you have kids, the schools better be on par or better than where you are now and then there is the trauma of moving kids to a new place/school. Some transition well, others don't.

If she is like my wife, she doesn't care about taxes or the price of a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk. She wants to be where she wants to be and I have to accept it. I prefer Colorado, she likes Iowa, so here I am a N.C. native in land-locked Iowa. Life is good in Iowa but its not the west and isn't the east coast where I grew up.

Overall, there are parts of the midwest that are great places to raise a family and have affordable housing/reasonable cost of living, but it isn't great at anyone thing.

As far as outdoors stuff...can't compare the western part of the country with the midwest or any other for that matter...the west is king there. I've lived and hunted all over the country.

At the risk of getting flamed, Ohio is the last place I would look...I know a ton of people "from" Ohio (hence they have left)...stay out of the cities...Cleveland/Cinnci are at the top of my list as places I will never live (grouped with Detroit, Baltimore, D.C., Miami, L.A., etc).

Sorry to the Ohio folks...yep, lived in Dayton for stint...no thanks.

Watt maker and Pinay like this.
  4. Mar 9, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    SOB likes this.
  5. Mar 9, 2019 at 6:09 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    And work less hours to boot? Seems like a no brainer to me unless you will be leaving a lot of family behind (and even that may not be a bad thing depending ;))

Bullshit, there is nothing wrong with Cincy. Sure there are certain parts I would avoid but all city's have those areas. Overall, there are lots of nice places in the surrounding area. I live on the south side of it in N-KY and work downtown and I'm pretty happy here.

Every place has it's pros and cons. No place is perfect. You just have to determine what's more important to you? For me, less stress, more financial freedom and more time with the family all lead to a much better quality of life and that is pretty high on my list of importance.

I get the happy wife/happy life thing but that needs to be a 2 way street. She needs to care about your happiness and well being too and it doesn't sound like you are in a good situation now so hopefully she can be a little more open minded about it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    OBXTundra, Sunnier, equin and 5 others like this.
  6. Mar 9, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Heads up, the roads will be much more Pot-holed than the PNW. Freeze thaw cycles every winter really beat up our infrastructure.
    It gets better the farther south in the state you live. But then you deal with more freezing rain/Ice
    CLE/Cinci/ Columbus are the three C's. the cities themselves are pretty healthy and thriving.
    I grew up north of Youngstown. It was hit pretty hard during the recession. GM Lordstown just closed their factory on Wednesday making it even worse.
    If you are looking in the CLE area, there is plenty to do around the great lakes. Interstate 90 can get you to PA and NY pretty quick which are abundant with outdoor stuff to do.
    NE Ohio has a good cost of living. I had sticker shock when i moved to Columbus.
    Geographically there is not much to write home about. Southern Ohio starts to get some hills.
    I do a lot of SXS/atv riding and end up driving to KY/WV/TN for trails.
    Skiing is good in NY.

Part_time[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 10, 2019 at 3:41 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Me: "Honey let's move to Ohio!!!".
    Wife: :eek2:

Black Wolf and Slayer like this.
  8. Mar 10, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    I think the best recommendation is make a game plan.
    Financially does it makes sense? If so, what does that translate to? Financial independence? More vacations? early retirement?
    Create 2 game plans:
    1: your short term /long term plan where it works out.
    2: A plan if you and/or you wife don't like it at the new job or Ohio in general. Set aside a time period (2 years) or so, if you haven't adjusted, cant stand it whats your exit plan?
    What is the company's 401k vested policy? Is there a time commitment required to stay?
    Find out if there are benefits or relocations incentives being offered by potential future employer.
    Do your homework, then if your still serious, sit down and discuss with your wife.
    You and your wife are a team. Lay out the facts then discuss the unknowns, obviously find out her specific concerns and see if you can address them.
    If she is still willing to consider, take a trip and scout the area in Ohio. Ask the employer, and or people at the company for recommendations.
    Or, google search for a regional forum thread and ask for recommendations in the area you are looking at. whether that be tundras.com/ tacomaworld.com /etc.
    good luck!

9. Mar 10, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    Good advice but ironic screen name considering the topic! lol

10. Mar 10, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    In this context it is indeed ironic. I stole it from a snowboard group in my area originally. For the record, I do travel frequently outside of Ohio for work. Mostly surrounding states. Sometimes Mexico and Canada.

Mr Swervlin and Black Wolf like this.
  11. Mar 10, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Oregon to Ohio? I agree that you should take a nice vacation out there and check it out. I live in CO and spent the first 17 years of my life in MN. NO way would I move back. The winters suck! The salt, the rust, the lack of sun.
    I would say if there is a way to eliminate debt, downsize and work less it would probably be your best option.
    Either way, good luck!

TheBeast and Black Wolf like this.
  12. Mar 10, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    Mr Swervlin

Mr Swervlin "Yes....In Dee Face"

Member:
    O H I O
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky limited TRD Crewmax
    Line X bed liner Window tint AVS in channel vent visors Paint protection wrap Husky front & rear floor liner ESP Crewmax rear storage Console organizer and tray TRD shift knob TRD rear sway bar Thule exporter pro 500 Color matched door handles, side mirrors, and grill surround VLEDs interior/reverse/cargo Driver side grab handle 10" BAmuffler Trd pro headlights
    Where do you prefer to ride in the area? I try to switch it up every year with a different place out west but, enjoy Holiday Valley or Snowshoe. Not much near me to speak of.

13. Mar 10, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    Ps3udonymous

Ps3udonymous Who is the smart ass that changed the title?

Member:
    "Its cheaper to keep her"

equin, porkitt[QUOTED] and TheBeast like this.
  14. Mar 10, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    my old boss moved from CA to CO few years back for a new job. Sold his house in CA, bought a mansion in CO. Loved it there..except his wife hated it (CA native) and kids didn't like it either. Came back 2 years later and they got divorced. wife took him to the cleaner and left with the kids and at one point he was living in his car with no job....crazy what kinda shit can happen. true story. YMMV

equin, OBXTundra, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  15. Mar 10, 2019 at 9:36 PM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    Well regardless of whether or not op decides to move out here, we got enough of us to start a proper group.

I statered a thread around here someplace and created a Facebook group with maybe two people in it. :rofl:

Once I’m done with all the planning and the trip for Tundras to Sedona, I’m gonna focus on getting Ohio Tundras Group going later this spring.

Besides @Prostar 190 parking his truck for the winter, what does everyone else do to protect from the salt?

Prostar 190 and Sunnier[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Mar 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Fluid film every fall. (I read all these threads :spy:)

Prostar 190 and KevinK[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Mar 10, 2019 at 10:01 PM
    KevinK

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    Tundras to Sedona
    Haha! I had someone else from SoCal tell me about fluid film. Wish I had listened before we moved here. Things ended up moving kinda quick and now we’ve been here since October and haven’t washed the underside of the truck once. Every day it’s been above freezing, I’ve been working or otherwise occupied. I’m afraid to even look under the truck.
    :bananadead:
    Although I may ask @Prostar 190 if I can come back and use his garage to change our body mounts one weekend soon before T2S.

Prostar 190 and Sunnier[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Mar 10, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Do it. He seems pretty friendly. Let him friend up! Tundras.com Fambly and all.... :thumbsup:

KevinK[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 10, 2019 at 10:29 PM
    Mwray8909

Mwray8909 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Chino Valley
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD offroad cement CM
    Moved from Illinois to socal. Will soon be moving out of socal. You get all 4 season, you get great hunting, you pay less and make more...

20. Mar 10, 2019 at 10:52 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wait, whut?!! :oops: We gotta get you out on a Shenanigans run before you leave. :cool:

21. Mar 11, 2019 at 3:36 AM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Sure thing!

KevinK[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Mar 11, 2019 at 4:49 AM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red Crew Max Platinum
    I've lived in Ohio my whole life. Grew up in the flat country of NW Ohio, moved to Columbus for college, lived just north of CBus just for 12years now, and just bought property to build/move out further into the country and closer to home. I travel to CLE very regularly for work so I have a bit of a country boy, outsider-looking-in, view of the city.

Cleveland as a whole is nice and is definitely on the up-swing right now. Downtown is great and new places are opening up constantly. The suburbs are sprawling. However, to find good country living (meaning min 3-5ac of land on a quiet road and not pay out the ass) you'll have to go prob a good hour from downtown. I would suggest looking at housing/land availability on Zillow to get an idea what's out there.

Yes, there is great hunting in Ohio but unless you own hunting ground or know someone that does, GOOD LUCK. Public grounds are saturated w/ hunters and there isn't a ton of public grounds. Lot's of rivers and lakes to fish though.

The PNW is beautiful and NE Ohio is nothing like it. Hell, nothing in Ohio is as beautiful as the PNW. But in my mind, Ohio is a great middle of the road state. Cost of living is fairly low but we also have great cities and lower taxes, houses are affordable, etc. It all comes down to priorities. I would def take a week off work and visit the area you're thinking of living. Drive around the neighborhoods, go to the state parks, visit the city, and see what you think!

stuckinohio and Watt maker like this.
  23. Mar 11, 2019 at 6:32 AM
    thexman1

thexman1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra (AKA: "The Mothership")
    I have lived in Ohio my entire life. Granted I'm only 27, but I think it's a great place. Has a little bit of everything to offer for camping, hiking, shooting, hunting, and other touristy places as well. I live South of Dayton, so I get down to Waynesville and Corwin a lot for hunting, camping type stuff as well out to Washington Court House. Cleveland is fun to go up an visit for a browns game, some good local food, local beer. Cincinnati is the same, love the reds games on the weekends.

One of my uncles has a farm in New Madison, Ohio (yes it is tiny, but it does exist with a population of 900 people lol) with 13 acres for shooting, ATV's, etc. Basically whatever we want :) so I have always stuck around for "the farm".

I guess my point being it's pretty awesome depending on what your interested in, but it has a lot of offer. I also always like traveling so I can get to Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Detroit, etc. for sports events, concerts, special events, yada yada...

I'll quit babbling, come to Ohio :)

24. Mar 11, 2019 at 6:38 AM
    Mwray8909

Mwray8909 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Chino Valley
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD offroad cement CM
    Soon for us means 2 years. Once our kiddo is done with high school.

Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Mar 11, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Like any state you have high crime areas and others that aren't. Where I live crime is very low but I believe everywhere and United States anymore drugs is a little bit of a problem. Where I'm at schools are also good in my opinion I'm happy with where I'm at.

Watt maker likes this.
  26. Mar 11, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Just talked to a coworker. She and her husband relocated from Ohio to Greely, CO a few years ago. Hugh OSU fan. She's getting used to CO but complains about the cold...say what??? Anyways I told her about your thread and the Cleveland area job offer. She said Cleveland sucks, jokingly. As stated here already she said it can get quite cold, windy, the usual lake effect stuff. Home prices not too crazy depending on location. She mentioned the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Browns, Cavs, and Indians. She probably misses Ohio.

27. Mar 11, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    SOB

SOB Big Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red Crew Max Platinum
    As others stated - schools and crime are very dependent of the area. Do some research on specific areas.

There are many states in the US with "opioid epidemics" right now. Yes, Ohio is towards the top of the list along with neighboring West Virginia. Ohio is a cross roads between Chicago and New York so we do get some of that "shit" passing through.

Watt maker likes this.
  28. Mar 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    KevinK

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    Tundras to Sedona
    Yeah I was lucky enough to connect with @Prostar 190 shortly after we arrived in OH and he opened his garage to us for some maintenance. Didn’t even get mad when our dog peed in his garage. :anonymous:

Bryan, you remember the noise we were chasing? I think it’s the body mounts. I’m ordering all new ones and will need a handful of hours in a garage to swap them all out if you’re available. Not this coming weekend, but perhaps the following?

Prostar 190 and Watt maker like this.
  29. Mar 11, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Notachickmagnet

Notachickmagnet New Member

Member:
    Been in central Ohio all my life!
    Its actually not bad, cost of living is fairly cheap, good paying jobs are to be had!
    Drug problem is all over the country, mainly depends if you open your eyes to it.
    I have been looking at relocating for selfish reasons so with that being said, I have weighed the pros and cons of Ohio and many other states, and still in the process of this!
    The seasons here can be extreme, the hunting is great, fishing is too.
    We have big cities with everything big cities offer, we also have small towns.
    Property and houses...also from one extreme to another. All in all it depends what you want or hope for!
    Good luck!!

30. Mar 11, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    TXDrifter

TXDrifter BlueGrass Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra MGM DC
    One thing I learned from living in many states throughout my life is 95% of the people are good honest hard working people even in the bad part of town. Just go with the suggestions here and better go with your gut, it will tell alert you of the bad spots :)

Products Discussed in

To Top